Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WitherSnow
Dec 7, 2013
I have many problems...

But let's start with the technical ones.

Im trying to record a game called Mother 3.
The problem i have is that it does some frame skipping.
The combat system in the game requires you to have it running well.
The game is an RPG with a unique battle system.
I really wanna show this game off. It's a game that Nintendo refuses to localize.

Screen recorder: BlueBerryFlashbackExpress
Im just gonna give a warning that i am COMPLETELY clueless.
Thank you for reading!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WitherSnow
Dec 7, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

You can record with your emulator most likely. If you're not using VBA-M or VBA-Rerecord, I suggest you use those and use the built in AVI recorder.

I tried to use VisualBoyAdvance's video recorder. It frameskips when it was recording and got desynched in media player.

I completely forgot to mention this.

My question to slowbeef on ask.fm:
Should i join SA. I wanna LP the sequel to Earthbound. (Mother 3) I wanna do it on SA. The screen rec' i use now causes frameskip. I would use the recorder's pause button to cut out old enimies. Any screen recorder that has a pause and records well? Also any advice?

Slowbeef says:
Get an emulator that records its own video for the best quality, I found. Cut old enemies after the fact in post recording. If you have to jump-cut, okay, but at least go for a fade-in/fade-out (remember the audio) for a smoother transition.
Good LPs tend to have some elevator pitch to them. Are you good at Mother 3? Is it an expert playthrough? Even if it's not, there should be some reason beyond "I want to play Mother 3."

There are some other recording options. In a bit i will try them.

WitherSnow
Dec 7, 2013
I personally would like to do a vlp of the game.
Mother 3 runs well when im just playing it without recording.
As i said there are a few vid options so if they suck i will look into downloading one of those.

WitherSnow
Dec 7, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

Alright, my next question is are you trying to record live commentary in audacity while using VBA's recorder?

Im just trying to start making a good recording. I tried "movie recording". It went great! Now im trying to use DXtory. I need to export it. I wonder if i can attach the video file.

WitherSnow
Dec 7, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

Upload it to Youtube if you want us to see how it looks or upload it to MediaFire/Dropbox so we can download the source. Also, what capture codec are you using to record?

Edit: Before I forget, with the new Miiverse update allowing 3DS users to take screenshots of games that allow it, would that be a decent way of doing an SSLP?

How would that work?
1. Mother 3 is a GBA game.
2. There has not been a localization to my knowledge.
3.I kinda wanna do video.

Also the way i record is with Blueberry Flashback Express. It has it's own type of vid file and player. I then use the exporting feature. So i don't really know what codec it is or what a codec is. ( I have a general idea.)

Edit: I will have to export it with a different program first.

WitherSnow
Dec 7, 2013
I didn't mess with the settings. I just chose the option in the emulator and play the game. It allows me to select where the file will be but that's it.

WitherSnow
Dec 7, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

Pokemon too. Pokemon's a weird one since screenshots can only be taken at specific points.

Have you tried VBA-M or VBA Re-Record yet?

I have the file but when i click on it it says i can't open it. I assume i have to unzip it or something.

WitherSnow
Dec 7, 2013

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I have the sneaking suspicion you recorded a keystroke recording without realizing what you did.

Who? Me? How? When? With What. Are you talking about when i did movie recording, or just in general?
Or are you talking about when i record with BBFlash?

WitherSnow
Dec 7, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

He's talking about the emulator's built in recording function. Did you click on AVI Record or Movie Record?

Yes i tried both AVI and movie recording. Nothing else.

Here's the thing... Even if this get's figured out i still have a big problem...

The voice to audio ratio is off. Im quieter than the game.

WitherSnow
Dec 7, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

I'm having issues with capturing screens for an older PC game; I wondered if anyone else had run into a similar problem. I'm using Irfanview to capture the screens. For some reason the menu shots look fine:

But the in-game shots look horrible:

I'm still pretty new at this, and honestly, I have no idea what to do here. The game LOOKS fine when I play it. When I capture the screens, though, it turns to that.

BlueBerry Flashback Express records fine but it can cause lag, frameskip and other problems.

I hear Fraps records fine but im not 100% sure.

WitherSnow
Dec 7, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

That's easily fixable with Autoducking in Audacity, assuming you're recording your voice separate from the game commentary. If you're not, then I suggest you record your video with only your game audio and record your commentary in post. Either that, or just lower your game's audio.

I try to do that. I think i might just have to bite the bullet and use Audacity. I wonder if it's BBFlash? Also im not using a moniter. Im seeing this via TV. So maybe that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WitherSnow
Dec 7, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

I've never used either. I was attempting to capture video with VirtualDub but all I got out of it was a mostly black screen with a splash of rainbow pixels.

(I'm still trying to learn VirtualDub off of the tutorials in the OP, though).

It comes out the same (sometimes worse) no matter which format I use.

Here's my Irfanview capture options:

I don't know if picture compression is like audio compression. Is no compression good if I want just the raw output to edit later? There doesn't seem to be a PNG-8 or PNG-24 option.

Im trying to figure it out too. It seems just a bit too over my head.
I may just get fraps and or BandiCam. Im leaning towards Bandicam.