Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
Someone may have already said something about this, but the link in the OP to the guide on image formats is broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

I'm having a bit of a problem with the LP I'm currently planning, Dragon Quest IX. I want to use the in-game NPC sprites in my dialogue portraits, but I can't seem to find the things anywhere on the internet. I'm thinking it's because they're all billboarded or something, so nobody could be bothered with screenshotting them and putting them on a sprite sheet. As such, I decided to have a look in the game files to see if I could find anything, but unfortunately I'm hopelessly inexperienced with this sort of thing and can't find any of them, let alone getting the right palette and mixing the two together to get the sprites I need.

Essentially, what I'm trying to say is this: would someone with more experience be willing to help me with ripping these sprites from the game files?

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Commander Keene posted:

I say use the generic NPC sprites from other games, like the DS remakes or DQ7, and then use the official character art for the characters who have it, which should be most if not all of the characters with designs unique to DQ9.

I would do that, but there are still a few characters with unique sprites that don't have art. Columba and the Swinedimples headmaster come to mind.

Combat Lobster posted:

If you're using deSumuME, in the tools tab there's an option to disable layers rendered on screen. Disabling all the layers except the one with sprites on it would give you a screenshot you can easily alpha out the background, but it doesn't work for every game. And for DQIX, it doesn't sadly. Unless you mean you want mugshots from the 3D models then you can disable the text box layer at least: (I tried to find the sprites you're talking about, but I forgot that trying to rush through a JRPG opening is a fool's errand)

You could also do this the painful way, and take screenshots of the sprites and paint out the background with gimp or something. That's what I usually do 90% of the time I need sprite rips and can't find them readily available.

The fact that sprites scale depending on where the camera is relative to them makes it very difficult to do that sort of thing, and some don't ever turn towards the camera (looking at you, Columba). Getting mugshots of the models isn't important, because most characters who have models also have official artwork and a lot of models have equivalent sprites anyway.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Fionordequester posted:

Hello all. I was just wondering what the best free option is for adding captions to my Youtube videos? Ever since they took down annotations, I've been bereft of a good alternative :( .

Avisynth can do that if you can be bothered to learn the language.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Oublietteer posted:

So I'm doing an SSLP, and it was suggested that I take videos of the game and use that to get good screenshots, rather than getting the screenshots as I go along. I do like this idea, since it will let me get pictures easier and make gifs of the stuff that works better that way. But after reading the stuff in the first couple of posts, I'm still kind of lost on what to do. I began recording with OBS, which seemed to work fine, but am unsure of what to do next. Can someone break down what methods and programs would be best for getting screenshots and gifs out of videos made with OBS?

Also, it's a DS game, which has a pretty small native resolution. I resized the pictures to double, which works fine. But one of the things in the first posts said to record at the size you want the final result to be. Is it better to record at double size and make stuff from that, or record at regular size and increase the size of the screenshots/gifs afterwards?

If you're using Desmume, it's got a built-in recording function you can use. You really don't need to do anything fancy to get the screenshots either; I use VLC to play the videos and Irfanview to take screenshots, crop and resize, but there are myriad ways you can do it.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I've heard that Twitch has been really bad about follower notifications and everything else related to letting people know that streamers they're interested in are on the air. I generally rely on Discord/Twitter announcements instead, personally.

I actually have a question about this! For whatever reason Discord's status won't update if I'm streaming (which is admittedly not very often). I've got basically everything turned on in the Streamer Mode settings and my Discord and Twitch accounts are linked. Anyone got any clue why this might not be displaying properly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Sorry to somewhat derail stuff from talking about editing, but I have a question about OBS; I'm having issues with audio slowly desynching when capturing from my Switch, and I remember having the same problem a while ago when capturing from the computer that OBS was running on so it's probably not the capture card's fault. Does anyone know what I might be able to do to avoid this?