Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Mico posted:

The Xbox 360 and PS3 can both output 1080i footage.

Right, but almost every game on those platforms is native 720p so upscaling and going from progressive to interlaced through the xbox/ps3 seems counterproductive.

also, cKnoor did say natively, which is correct. I can't remember the last game that did native 1080i ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I don't know of any device with a no-delay preview. Why can't you just play off the screen the HDPVR is connected to?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Suspicious Dish posted:

The AverMedia card I have has a legit no-delay passthrough. Too bad it stinks at recording stuff.

Right, my Elgato has a no-delay passthrough, so do most devices. As far as I know, that won't change whether you use an internal capture card or an external capture device.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

ChaosArgate posted:

I think Elgato's supposed to have passable SD capture, but I need to test that myself.

remind me to capture myself failing at F-Zero GX, I imagine that'd be a good test. Right?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Blind Sally posted:

I'm still pretty new at this, and honestly, I have no idea what to do here. The game LOOKS fine when I play it. When I capture the screens, though, it turns to that.

You capture in PNG and convert to JPEG later, right? I ask because that second image looks like someone took an image with greater than 256 colors and converted it to 256 ... poorly.

Basically show me your irfanview options. Are you capturing in PNG-8? If so, try setting to PNG-24 and see if that changes it (I don't know if Irfanview uses exactly those terms, but something like it) - or as a test, capture in JPEG native - does that change?

Psion fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 12, 2013

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Blind Sally posted:

It comes out the same (sometimes worse) no matter which format I use.

Okay, then this isn't a colorspace issue and you can ignore the apparently nonexistent PNG-8/24 options. Virtualdub also having problems ... hm.

If I remember right, Galactic Battlegrounds is based on Age of Empires II, right? If you can find any posts about this problem in AOE2 maybe you can find something to fix GB. My guess as to the root cause now that we've eliminated colorspace is "old as hell version of DirectDraw on new computer = haha deal with my problems and suffer, mortal" but that's only a guess.

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 12, 2013

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

MEAT! posted:

Edit: And now I'm browsing the OP with my morning coffee instead of reading the news fffffff. Quick edit, photoshop can edit gifs, but whooo cares because hooooolllyyyy shhhiitt gifcam/gooncam.

Speaking as someone who recently had to re-learn and make an animated GIF in Photoshop, yeah basically this entirely.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

ChaosArgate posted:

That's loving nuts. Why doesn't America get TVs with passthrough built in? :confused:

Uh .... America does. US-sold Panasonics, Sonys, Samsungs, I can think of several models which have audio and/or video passthroughs.

I mean if you buy some housebrand bargain panel, passthroughs are an easy feature to chop to cut manufacture costs, but it's not like Australia is somehow unique in the TV world.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I'm a little curious about Shadowplay myself; I just picked up a new card and I thought I'd give it a try. Manual recording seems a little odd - in that it's set to work but doesn't seem to work despite pushing the buttons. Shadowplay saved a 5 minute chunk just as designed, though (and I see I can set that up to 20 minutes, so, neat)

No desync that I noticed. Just a little compression around the edges compared to playing the game, but that's not all bad. Youtube will inevitably crush it even more, so nobody will ever know.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Dongattack posted:

Edit: Anyone know how to make Shadowplay record one single large file instead of multiple small ones again? Seems it something they changed it to do in the latest patch and its awful.

It looks to me like it's recording up to the FAT32 4GB limit, but I did some cursory searching and it looks like this is nVidia half-baking the feature - apparently, according to the official forums (the sacrifices I make for this thread) it's an issue on Windows 7 and not Windows 8 because of the muxer it uses to make the MP4s. Windows default instead of bringing their own, or something?

the official line, by the way, is this:

quote:

If you prefer to save every single moment, enable Manual Mode with the rebindable Alt + F9 hotkey, which acts like traditional gameplay recorders, saving your entire session to disk. Windows 7 files cap out at 4GB per file due to OS limitations, but on Windows 8 and Windows 8.1, file size is only limited by available hard disk space, enabling hours of footage to be recorded to a single file.

I uh, am skeptical about that.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I think they'll keep working on it. It's only a couple months old.

I did finally get manual capture working and it will continuously write successive 4GB files (about 11 minutes of footage each) for however long your session is, and the performance hit on the rest of my system basically didn't exist. Getting avisynth to stitch them all together is, while annoying, not impossible. I'm not seeing any desync so a pretty straightforward AlignedSplice() ought to do it.

I certainly won't pretend it's a great option but it's a free option that works ...mostly.

Psion fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 19, 2014

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Alright, this is reaching past my avisynth abilities and google abilities, so:

I have five videos, all raw files. I want to stitch together clips from each one as a highlight reel. I tried alignsplice and unalignedsplice, but there are framerate differences which apparently stop this - or at least, I get framerate does not match errors.

So I guess A: how can I fix that, or B: since ChangeFPS(30) is at the end of each script for Youtube purposes, can I write a script which uses either splice on .avs files instead of the actual videos themselves? Because then I can just do per-video trimming and fadein/out, then just wad them all up at the end and encode as one big video.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

frozentreasure posted:

I'm a little confused; if the frame rates aren't consistent, doesn't doing ChangeFPS at the start not solve the issue? Is something like this not working?

You know, that didn't occur to me. I now feel dumb. I'll give that a shot, thanks. :)

I normally put ChangeFPS at the end of the avs by habit and therefore didn't even think about putting it at the start.

e: that worked perfectly, thanks a lot.

Psion fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jan 20, 2014

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Knockknees posted:

Maybe it's a silly way to do things,

Yep. The snipping tool is great for convenience but utterly bad for your needs. Here are two things I'd suggest.

First, resize to an exact 2x. Don't eyeball this one - if the game is 320x240, resize to 640x480. Your original size image is 325x202 (this seems odd but I don't know Amigas) so 650x404. Or whatever it is. Reason being is a square pixel doubled in each dimension becomes a square of four pixels instead of becoming a rectangle or whatever - no distortion, in other words.

Second, get a nice screencap program like Irfanview or whatever so instead of manually snipping you just push a button and a screenshot is produced. Aside from being ludicrously faster for you, other added benefits over the snipping tool are better PNG compression (snip pngs are really bloated filesize-wise) and consistent, reliable image dimensions.

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 26, 2014

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Thanks for the AVS scripts. Really cool.

I'm hesitant to blow up the video size, but if I'll get frame splices by cutting off the tops (so at least its just pillarboxed) maybe I'll be *more ok* with the resize.

I almost wonder if it'd be better to play at 640x480 so the videos are full screen.

I'll try some things.

Red Alert 2, right? I think you'll be okay. The FMVs should scale up alright - I've seen Youtube versions that work out alright and I'm sure those are getting ridiculously tossed around by YT compression. You could play in 1280x960 for a straight 2x, but if you put this on Youtube it's getting mashed into a 720 container anyway. I'd just play in whatever res you like.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Looks a lot better. Glad I could help.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

It might not take your ingame gamma adjustments into consideration - that's my first guess. On the other hand, for me dark places are dark and bright places are bright: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6eb9Da0thE

I've had issues with desync but it's odd and not consistent. A couple things I'd try to test:
-See if continuous recording is the issue. I've noticed problems here more often than if I just use the Shadowplay buffer to save the last X minutes of footage.
-See if dropping the record bitrate from 50 down to like, 35 helps. Youtube's going to crush that to something like 8 anyway.
-See if the latest update which came in like yesterday does anything

I've got some footage from yesterday that I need to review for desync because I made a couple of these changes myself and want to see if they did anything.

e: at the end of the day I think once nvidia makes this work for streamers and people interested in sick 360 noscope montages, they probably won't give much of a poo poo about the rest of us.

Psion fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 31, 2014

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Wait weren't you the person having desync issues with Shadowplay and now the Elgato? Unless this is total coincidence, I think it's your computer, not the device. HD write speed maybe? CPU not being able to keep up with the encoding? I dunno.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Well the text looks a little fuzzy around the corners, but I can't tell if that's video compression or JPEG compression. Try a lossless image format instead? Just so we can make sure we're only focusing on the video compression angle.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I'm not sure this matters when you dump it all on Youtube but I can crank my Elgato up to 26.3mbps or whatever. 199MB/min.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

skoolmunkee posted:

How do you do that? Are you talking about the Game Capture HD? It won't let me change bitrate manually, it just auto-sets itself based on whatever it thinks is needed from the source (which is annoying but not a problem yet).

Yes I am. I record exclusively from a 360 so maybe that's part of it, but uh, look at this excitingly rehosted image that I just took from GIS. In the window underneath Capture and Edit, see the crossed hammer and wrench icon? Click that, and somewhere in that menu is a quality slider - crank that up to max and I get it to display something like "1280x720 60fps blah blah blah 199MB/s, 26.3Mbps."

if this doesn't help when I get home I'll take screenshots of mine and show you exactly what I mean.

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 4, 2014

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

ChaosArgate posted:

You might wanna rehost that on Lpix or Imgur or something. That site doesn't allow image leeching and I think it's against the rules here to image leech.

If it were inlined, it'd be image leeching. Linking is linking, no? but sure whatever, lemme upload it to imgur.
e: there, now we're all happy. except skool, who can't set a bitrate in the GCHD software. :v:

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 4, 2014

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

skoolmunkee posted:

Oh, hm yeah. My slider says literally "good - better - best" (with ticks inbetween like a ruler) but gives me no info as to bitrate or anything. Thanks!

This is what mine shows. Note bitrate info at the top, though I also have the good-better-best slider.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Well what do you mean by all the codecs? As far as I know it's basically "get ffmpegsource, call it, done."

that is: https://github.com/FFMS/ffms2/releases (updated link, thanks Admiral H. Curtiss)

then example.avs
code:
LoadPlugin("ffms2.dll")
a=FFAudioSource("file.mp4")
v=FFVideoSource("file.mp4")
AudioDub(v,a)
and do all your work from there. Remember, MP4 and AVI are just container formats - they're really not that relevant to what you're doing here except in the sense that AVI is a terrible container format. What matters is how the video and audio streams are encoded.

Psion fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 5, 2014

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

While we're at it, I see fpsnum=30 and I've seen ChangeFPS(30) ... is there a real reason to use one over the other?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Okay, let's be specific then - I've got segmented video from nV shadowplay. It chunks off in 4GB intervals so you splice all the videos together. Thing is, there are minute variations in framerate from video to video so I can't just unalignedsplice them all at native (60 fps) or it throws an error. My goal is to splice and then edit the combined file for eventual output as one, edited video. In that case, should I use fpsnum=30? I've done this before using ChangeFPS(30) and it worked, but I want to follow best practices if possible.

Psion fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 6, 2014

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

VivaVizer posted:

According to Wikipedia, 4 mbps for non-DASH and even lower for DASH. I know when I used to download from Youtube, it was around 4.5 to 5 mbps.

Either way, it is too low.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YouTube#endnote_media_type_table_note_2

I've got a 1080p video I uploaded to Youtube that I then pulled back down again to check, it's 5.4mbps. Looks like I got 'lucky' :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I just encoded a 12:30 1080p video at qrf 24 slow which gave me a 1.0GB file exactly. So maybe kick down from Slower and/or go to q24, problem solved?

I dunno, q24/normal would probably get into your target range.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

mpc-homecinema that's included in CCCP has played everything I want and never screwed it up. I can't say the same for VLC.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

MEAT! posted:

That should go in the OP.

FYI, CCCP and MeGUI DEV got updates in the past few days, so go for those if you haven't already.

It really should, because I think it catches a lot of people. sure made a lot of my early output look washed out or whatever. Colorspace in general is one of those things where I'm not really sure what I'm doing at all.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

You can chop Shadowplay files down to a reasonable filesize without reducing them to 540p, which is going to be far worse in the long run. Keep them at 1920x1080, use ffms2, throw it at MeGUI, presto.

e: I wouldn't use reduceby2 in general, but in this case it's also entirely unnecessary to do any resolution reduction from what I'm seeing?

Shadowplay uses a really inefficient encoder in terms of filesize, partially because I don't understand what went on with nvidia using Windows default poo poo, partially I'm sure to reduce system resource overhead when doing realtime MP4 encoding behind the scenes while you're gaming.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I believe you want an .avs, not .avi

.avs is Avisynth script, that's what you work with (and MeGUI reads those without an issue)

what I do is launch MeGUI, go to File Indexer, index the mp4 I want to work in (my capture output is always h264/mp4) and it generates an .avs for me as part of the indexing. Two actually - one for audio, one for video. I go from there. Your workflow may be different.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I don't think it says you need an AVI file, I know it uses AviSource("file.avi") as an example, but that is not the only way you can call a file into an AviSynth script.

as an example, my scripts all start something like this (this is from memory so the syntax might be wrong)

LoadPlugin("c:\path\ffms2.dll")
a=ffaudiosource("audio_track.mp4")
v=ffvideosource("video.mp4")
audiodub(v,a)

then I go on to do my trims and this and that.

The key point is, regardless of what errors I just wrote, you do not need an AVI file to work in Avisynth. Like I said, my workflow starts and ends in H264/mp4 the entire way and I use avisynth just fine.

e: ok upon reviewing that guide it's a little out of date when discussing importing your raw files into the script, but rest assured you can use avisynth with what you've got. You don't need anything in the AVI container. That one first section should just get rewritten - the rest of it seems up to date (trims, dissolves, etc)

so yeah I was a little confused on what you were asking but I think I've figured it out. You don't have to convert anything to AVI, you can still use Avisynth, someone who knows more than me will probably be along to tell you exactly what to put in your avs script.

Psion fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 13, 2014

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

neetengie posted:

I recently ran into a problem with my elgato, the finished video has the audio lagging behind by 5-7 seconds to the video - I happened to record 2 hours of footage with it, is that the problem?

Just to clarify is the audio always 5-7 seconds behind, does it suddenly happen at one point in the video, or is it just gradually getting more and more desynced as the video goes on over time?

Coincidentally, and potentially helpful to you, I did just do some two hour recordings with my Elgato so I can look at those later this evening and see if I get any desync. I have not run into any major desync issues with raw footage before, but I also rarely go over 45 minutes per cap, so this two hour thing is uncharted territory for me. I'll let you know.

Psion fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 19, 2014

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Checked two 2-hour raws, neither had desync in the start, middle, nor end. Seems odd it'd desync from the start and stay that way, but I don't know what to tell you.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Zinkraptor posted:

This seems like an obvious question, but I'm actually having a lot of trouble finding an answer for it. If I'm doing a console LP and I need to hear the game audio, how do I best make sure that it doesn't interfere with the recording? The two most obvious solutions seem to be to A)mute the game audio from the capture device and just allow the game audio to be recorded over my microphone (which would be very low quality) or B) overlap the game audio from the capture device and the game audio picked up from the microphone (which would likely cause other audio issues). Any suggestions? How do you guys handle this issue?

Headphones, basically. The way I do it is like so, for 360:

360 A/V to capture device via HDMI
360 audio only also out via A/V cable (just with a y-cable plugged in so it goes a/v adapter -> y cable -> 3.5mm jack -> headphones)
PC, just turn your speakers off, don't mute everything
Audacity + pc mic for voice
Capture device software for game a/v

Then you just do your work from there.

e: I guess it helps if your console can output audio to two different sources at the same time. Hopefully yours does.

Psion fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 28, 2014

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

CJacobs posted:

So hey, I just found out that Nvidia Shadowplay exists. Are there any downsides at all to using it? My test recording ended up at a buttery smooth 60 fps and 8 gigs large at 30 minutes of footage, compared to Fraps' 40 gigs of the same length. It seems so amazing, but there has to be a catch, right?

Aside from what else was mentioned (can confirm it doesn't split mic/game, this can be annoying) there's the issue that unless you're on windows 8, it splits files into 4GB chunks and has problems with framerate fluctuations, making joining them back up a huge pain in the rear end. Other than that, it's pretty neat. I like having it available, for sure. Also if games do weird things with how they render, it just gives up. I had some big problems with Shadowplay and Titanfall, which is pretty sad. Lost some great footage :(

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

ME1 barely ran on its native system (the 360) and the port is, well, a port.

You might be able to get some specific help in the games ME3 thread(s) because there are a lot of people who did trilogy replays in the last year and might remember some tricks.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

ffffffuck that makes my Elgato like 34057% cooler.

I guess I should update the software from ... uh, well, it's been a long time :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Xenoveritas posted:

Without specifying fpsnum FFVideoSource generates frames in the dumbest way possible

This probably explains so very much of my weird Shadowplay poo poo I've also encountered.