Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

OK, I had a look on the wiki but didn't really see this addressed.

I need to manage disk space with these video files. I'm recording the game with Fraps (720p) so I'm ending up with about 1 GB per 1 minute of video. I need to keep the source avi around for Premiere, in case I need to go back and re-edit/re-export/whatever, but by the end of this project I'm gonna have like 400GB or more of video for this one LP, and it seems like my drive space is even getting used up faster than that. Is there some kind of guide to managing disk space with video that I might have missed? I do have an external 600GB HD I've set aside for video, but I'd still like to use less space (so they don't hog my backup drive as well).

I was trying to think of some ways to save space. I was thinking on videos which I've heavily edited/cut (thus less reason to keep original avi's around), I might do this:

1. Edit video to final version
2. Export as lossless avi with lagarith
3. Replace the original avis in the project with the lossless version I just made
4. Delete original avis
5. Do commentary editing and stuff as normal past this point

In most cases that won't save me a lot of space, but in videos where I'm cutting out a lot of dead time it would save me from keeping around huge files I'm only using 10% of. Is there something I'm missing here that makes this a bad idea? I get that I won't be able to go back and recover lost footage, but if I'm cutting it in the first place I won't want it anyway.

skoolmunkee fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Dec 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

I'm not sure what a smaller lossless format would be? I'm pretty new to this editing thingy, I'm happy to follow tutorials but I have a hard time knowing what I should be looking for.

I know that my Elgato saves files as high-bitrate mp4s and they're far smaller (1 hour is about 3GB, as opposed to about 60 as an .avi) but they're not as sharp because of the format. If I could figure out how to get it to compress slightly less I'd record using that instead, but it doesn't seem I have any options in that respect.

I've been removing intermediate files, when I'm done with an update I end up with:
1. Original AVIs
2. Premiere project file and associated stuff
3. Audacity project with the 3 audio streams (game, me, co-commenter) and edited final mp3
4. Final muxed .mp4

95% of the project size are those originals, for an 18-minute update I end up with a 20+ GB project folder.

I don't keep the intermediate .avi (haven't figured out the frameserver thing yet) but I've started thinking that's what I want to be my 'original' source to re-import into premiere anyway, since in some cases it will have edited out a significant percentage of footage, thus making the filesize way smaller than the real originals. If there's another lossless format which has a smaller file size I could export/reimport or whatever I'm happy to do that. :I

I do have a 2TB hard drive but it's my failsafe backup. I dunno if this is relevant but:
C/D: 1 TB, system and data
Z: 1 TB internal, system image and backups, minus video
I: 600 GB external, video backups only
J: 2 TB external, which is Z+I

I dunno if I want to be buying another external HD for more video when I would probably be better off figuring out a better space-saving process, since I plan to do more video LPs after this one. But I still want to have a lossless version I can revise if I need to. Maybe those two things are incompatible.

Sooooo I guess what I need to do is go find out about smaller lossless formats and go from there, or suck it up and throw money at it. :v: Thanks.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

toddy. posted:

I want to share some experience buying a new LifeChat LX-3000 since Microsoft, aside from changing their packaging have severely messed up their standards because I went through 3 different LX-3000 headsets today all with bad audio and either a completely non-funcitonal or muffled silent ear-side.They used to be really good, but I think their manufacturing has gone to poo poo because that is just not acceptable by any standards.
At this point I'm just picking up a good headset and am in the market for a new microphone (because the Blue Snowball is kind of rear end). I've heard the Blue Yeti is okay but I haven't heard any sample recordings for it and was wondering if anyone had a Yeti or another gooda microphone up to about a AU$200 budget could just get a smaple commentary recording and throw it on tindeck or whatever for comparison. If so I'd greatly appreciate it.

Well the headset is clear in your recording but it sounds super flat, it really doesn't give your voice the fullness that the snowball does. How was your snowball set up? That wasn't clear from your recording. If you just put it down on a surface and started talking then yeah it'll be a little echoey and pick up background noise. You can filter our a lot of the background noise like PC fans and minimize the echoeyness with a mic box, if you weren't using one of those I'd suggest trying a makeshift one and testing again before you buy new kit. (If you already were then I dunno, but a mic box solved all those problems with mine.) if you do want a mic you can just put down on the desk and start talking into then maybe you can look at vocal mics too, but I dunno the price range on those.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Psion posted:

I'm not sure this matters when you dump it all on Youtube but I can crank my Elgato up to 26.3mbps or whatever. 199MB/min.

How do you do that? Are you talking about the Game Capture HD? It won't let me change bitrate manually, it just auto-sets itself based on whatever it thinks is needed from the source (which is annoying but not a problem yet).

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Oh, hm yeah. My slider says literally "good - better - best" (with ticks inbetween like a ruler) but gives me no info as to bitrate or anything. Thanks!

It is pretty funny that the scale starts at "good" though. I guess they wanted something more positive than "low"

Edit: ^^ I don't think it's image leeching, that would be embedding it, wouldn't it? He's just hotlinking.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

frozentreasure posted:

Something to keep in mind about Premiere, though, is that it can't handle raw Fraps files, you'd have to convert them to Lagarith or something else for it to not crash if you tried to put one into your project.

Also, what's the stance on recommending emulators? It's not talking about ROM piracy, but there's no section for it in the OP and nobody says anything about them.

Mine handled raw fraps avi files just fine. I did tell fraps to split them up every 4 mob though.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Silver Falcon posted:

OK, finally got off my rear end and started editing some group commentary I did on Sunday. I got everybody synched up and imported the game audio. Problem is, when I try to Auto-duck the game audio, it only ducks it when I'm talking, not the other guys'.

A screencap of what I'm looking at. The game audio is at the very top; my commentary is directly below it. There's two more people below me.

I imported my co-commentators audio into Audacity (as Oggs) by dragging and dropping into the window. Did the same with the game audio (saved as a .wav using Virtual Dub).

This is the first time I've ever dealt with group commentary so any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated. :ohdear:

What I did was mute the game audio and export the commentary tracks as an mp3, then re-import that and autoduck against it. Then you can export the final audio track with the individual commentaries and the autoducked game.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Niggurath posted:

Usually I find it easiest to export the multiple commentary tracks as a singular 'commentary track' that I then import into another audacity session with the game audio and autoduck that.

Yeah that's more or less what I was describing. And I like to merge them into one track so parts don't get double-ducked, like Ritcheyz said.

I wasn't suggesting that you should use that merged mp3 in the final mix. Just selectively mute/unmute tracks to manage it and export properly.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Edit: NEVERMIND, FIXED

Hello I have a question that I'm pretty sure is about interlacing.

The game is State of Decay recorded with fraps.

I'm using Premeire Pro and exporting with the Lagarith AVI codec, then using megui to mp4 it. When I export the media with Premiere, I have the option to export as progressive, upper first, or lower first. Choosing upper or lower first results in what I'm pretty sure is interlacing, which messes up any movement with horizontal lines, two movement frames spliced together? But progressive seems to show movement with two frames ghosted/blended together, so there's no clear action if I pause on a frame.

The progressive looks a lot better when watching the video, but it bothers me that pausing it results in double-image people or whatever. Is that normal, should I worry about it? I saw the aviscript thing for deinterlacing video in the OP, but I don't really understand if that's what I need to do, or how avisynth works.

Some advice would be appreciated, I wanna get the LP going. Thanks!

interlaced:
http://i.imgur.com/TaWeWVK.jpg

progressive:
http://i.imgur.com/IbL5Tun.jpg

skoolmunkee fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 1, 2014

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Niggurath posted:

Is there not an option to not use any of those options? I seem to recall Vegas had the option of just turning that off when exporting.

Nope.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Nidoking posted:

Are you changing the framerate of the video at all? Exporting as progressive is probably the right thing to do, since you don't want interlacing, and the frame blending sounds to me like a bad algorithm for changing the frame rate. Does the AVI you export as progressive have the same problem as your final MP4? If it does, then Premiere is doing something wrong with the video; if not, then MeGUI is. How you solve the problem will then depend on what the problem is.

Yes this is what happened, I'd set something to 29.97 when all the others were set to 30. It's fixed now! The re-exported AVI looks fine. Thanks! (and judge reinhold too) :3:

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Hi folks, I'm setting up video editing stuff on a new PC and I can't remember some bits of what I did a few years ago when I did this the first time. I did have a look at the guide but it's not helping me in this case.

I use Premiere Pro for editing and MeGui for making the final mp4. I've already downloaded the Lagarith codec, but I'm sure there was another codec, or pack, that I downloaded for one of those programs too. Any ideas? It was probably something to do with mp4s, since Lagarith takes care of the avi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Oh yes probably! Thank you :3: