Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I use Vegas for video editing, and the files my HDPVR outputs (.ts and .m2ts) cannot be read. It does support those file types, but I guess it doesn't support the codecs used during capture.

When I try to make the files into something that will work (Trying .mp4) I'm not getting good results. I tried the guide about extracting data streams with MeGUI and muxing them into an MP4, but the result was blurry and the video was choppy and delayed. I tried Handbrake, and the video was still blurry.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jun 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Nidoking posted:

I recently switched from my old .m2ts standby to capturing directly to MP4, since recent versions of MeGUI have removed the indexer that I used to use (DGIndex), and I found the other ones to be less satisfactory. At the end, I had to do some manipulation to get the video out of my final M2TS - I don't remember exactly what I did, though. Most likely, FFIndexer and then FFsourced into Avisynth. Even at that, I think the videos were choppy and didn't support seeking, but it was the best I was able to get. If you have the option to capture as MP4, I recommend giving it a try.

EDIT: Looking at the scripts I have, it appears that I used the HD Streams Extractor to get the h264 and aac files out of the container, then FFsourced those. The results were much better.

Hauppage capture program apparently has an option to capture in MP4, but the HDPVR I have doesn't actually support it. Is there a different program I can use to capture lossless video into MP4, or even AVI or WMV?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Touchfuzzy posted:

Have you tried using OBS to capture your footage instead of the program that comes with the Hauppauge? That can record in MP4.

I'll try that or XSplit. Thanks.

Edit: Got OBS set up and it appears to be working for me, meaning it's outputting .mp4 files that Vegas can work with. Barring any issues that arise once I have full-length videos to work with, this seems to have solved my problem.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jun 26, 2017

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don't even know if this is the right place to ask this, but I'm having an issue getting video from my N64. Turning a game on and going through the credits or menus doesn't seem to be a problem, but when it starts to play footage using in-game assets (I think?) it will cut in and out at specific intervals.

I've got it connected to S-video through my HDPVR. The cable, connection, and capture device are all verified to be fine. It's something with the console and trying to output this signal into the HDPVR. Do I have something set up wrong, or is my N64 just broken?

Edit: I have NOT yet tried directly connecting the N64 to a TV. Not at option at the moment.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jun 27, 2017

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Touchfuzzy posted:

What game is it? I know it happens with the PS1, but this could be a case of boot/intro/menu screens being one resolution and the game being another, so when it switches between 480i/240p it starts to freak out. Also, how long is the HDMI out cord from the capture device to the TV?

I tried a few different games just to make sure it wasn't just one.

My output is Component, and the cord is something like 15 feet I think? It shouldn't be relevant, because the signal going into the HDPVR is experiencing the video issue. I can see it happening in the recording where the signal cuts in and out. But like I said, I double-checked everything but the N64 itself and know they are completely functional. So either the N64 is broken or there's some setup/setting I'm overlooking.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Touchfuzzy posted:

It more than likely has to do with the N64 outputting 240p video and the capture device just not liking it. Try reading info from this link and see if this is close to what you're experiencing.

It sort of sounds similar. What I'm experiencing is the signal cutting out after a certain amount of time, is out for about a second, then resumes. Repeat infinitely.

I had recorded N64 footage in the past, but I honestly can't remember if I had the HDPVR at the time of doing it. The only thing left for me to do is try the N64 directly connected to a TV to know for sure if the console is broken, or if there's some connectivity issue with the HDPVR.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
OK, I've now been able to confirm the N64 is fine, so my problem is definitely with the signal not cooperating with the HDPVR.

I want to record S-video using my N64 and HDPVR, and I'm having trouble finding information on how to do this. I found a couple video games on how to do composite, but they don't appear to also apply for S-video.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jun 28, 2017

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
It seems like if I want to record "Legacy" console footage, I need to buy a capture device for SD instead of trying to get an HD capture device to work.

So, what should/can I get? The OP is pretty outdated by the looks of it, as two of the products aren't available anymore. The third one, the USB-Live2, doesn't have an output to TV and doesn't actually seem like an option for recording game footage.

Did the GameBridge ever get any kind of support for post-WinXP?

Edit: I'm being told the Elgato Capture HD with an adapter will do what I want. Can anyone confirm before I drop $150 on this?

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 30, 2017

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

ChaosArgate posted:

Ah, right. Yes, it does 240p and recordings will survive the weird resolution shift some games have, but there won't be any gap in the recording where the resolution switches, so you shouldn't do it for live recording sessions.

I'm not clear on why it can't be used for live recording.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

ChaosArgate posted:

Right, that was probably a bad description. When there's a resolution change for a retro console, the feed goes black as the device has to renegotiate the resolution. When the device has finished that, the display resumes. There's no downtime on a finished recording though, it just goes straight from point A to point B, so live commentary would get desynced from the video since the recording doesn't keep the few seconds of dead air where it's figuring out the new resolution.

Oh, that seems easy enough to work around if I'm recording audio and video separately and editing them together later..

Thanks for clarifying.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm not even sure how to phrase this as a question. I'm just confused.

This is the exact same file (capture from Hauppage HDPVR into an M2TS file) played by two different programs; WMP on the left, VLC on the right. Note how the VLC version is interlaced and ghosting, and also 20 seconds later than the WMP version.

This is the same file as before, uploaded to YouTube. No interlacing or ghosting, but really blurry and muddy textures. Also a 1-second difference in time from the VLC version, and 19 from the WMP version.

I have absolutely no idea what any of this actually means or what I need to do to make sure videos don't look like garbage or have some sync issues with commentary.

Edit: I looked at the guide about YouTube messing up 480p video, but I haven't yet uploaded a 720p version to test that out. Also since I'm looking at weird quality outside of YouTube I'm not sure what does and doesn't apply.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Aug 20, 2017

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

nielsm posted:

Can you upload a slice of the m2ts file somewhere?

I don't know what to use for file hosting. Got somewhere that will accept a couple hundred MB?

Anyway, here's the video upscaled to 720. and uploaded to YouTube. Another time difference (1 second less than previous YT upload), but video quality looks about on par with the raw video played in VLC.

Why is this interlacing? The capture shouldn't be interlaced as far as I'm aware. It should be 480p, and LOOKS like 480p in WMP.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Alright, deinterlacing is an easy enough fix, provided I can figure out how to get Vegas to deinterlace. I checked through the WMP settings first, but couldn't find anything that would have indicated it was doing any kind of "cleaning up" of the video, so I either missed it or it's doing stuff that I have no control over.

What I THINK is happening is with the sync issue is that there's a resolution shift that is cut out/shortened in the WMP playback, but is fully present in the VLC playback. I just started both of them at the same time, and noticed the initial loading screen was absent in the WMP playback which made it about 10 seconds faster. I'm guessing seeking around in the video only threw that difference off further? So I THINK doing live commentary won't have any sync issues since when working with the video in Vegas, it turns out the same playback as I'm seeing in VLC.

Short answer is I should absolutely ignore what I'm seeing in WMP playback, and just strive to render the videos as best I can. I think.

HDPVR has a MP4 output option, but it doesn't work.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 20, 2017

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nidoking posted:

Doesn't work in what way? Does it not output files, or can you not use them in your editor? If the output is broken, you might try contacting Arcsoft support - they helped me get my config files in order when another device was conflicting with the PVR, and there's probably an update to the program that would fix the problem.

It outputs a 0-byte file. I looked up stuff about it and asked about it in here a few months back, and it seemed like it was a common problem with no real fix, and if I can use M2TS (which I can) then not to worry about it.

Anyway, here's the latest/last test on YouTube. Resized video, deinterlaced. Rendered video vs YouTube encoded.

The rendered video looks OK-ish, but darker and fuzzier than the original capture. The YouTube version goes a step further making it even darker and has muddy textures. I'm not sure what else I can do.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 20, 2017

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
For testing purposes, I'm doing my rendering with Vegas. It doesn't let you choose which processes you want to do in what order, unless I render a deinterlaced video, then run that video through a new project to resize it.

I was kinda hoping I could do everything in Vegas instead of exporting a lossless video and having to put that through another program, so I wanted to see what I could get out of it.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Here's the workflow I've sorted out so far, with pictures to show the changes in quality for each step.

1. Record footage with Hauppauge HD-PVR into an M2TS format.
http://i.imgur.com/AMqTOxH.jpg

2. Edit footage in Vegas Movie Studio, also resizing to 720 resolution and deinterlacing.
http://i.imgur.com/26bxDMl.jpg

3. Rendering footage with MainConcept AVC/AAC format for about 1MB per second of footage.
http://i.imgur.com/9Oo9oGC.jpg

4. Upload footage to YouTube.
http://i.imgur.com/AQ3zj2q.jpg

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Maybe it's because it's 4am, but I'm incredibly confused by Avisynth. I can't even get past the first step, which is to make an .avs file that opens the file I want to work with.

It opens VLC, but doesn't load up and play the video. I've tried a bunch of different files and filetypes and I can't even accomplish the very first step. :(

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

VLC doesn't use system codecs, so it's a poor choice for using with Avisynth. VirtualDub is generally what I find most useful for previewing scripts.

Is there a way to get VirtualDub to support m2ts though?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, that's what I was looking at last night (as well as the Avisynth website) and feeling very confused over. I'm gonna look at it again now with fresh eyes and trying to use VDub, but don't expect much from me.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Aug 22, 2017

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Wait no, I was using this link.

Here's what I got so far.

-Use MeGUI (I was not using this before)
-Tools -> AVS Script Creator
-In the I/O tab, choose the video file for input
-In the Filters tab, select Source type "interlaced," Field order "top field first" (Bottom works too. Varying fields is bad though.), check "Deinterlace" and choose Yadif.
-Save AVS script.
-On the main interface, I have the script loaded and the location of the video output. Encoder settings are x264 *scratchpad* and File Format is MP4. I press "Queue" to encode the video.

Result:

I think I did something wrong because while the game's UI is certainly sharper, everything else looks worse. I assume the settings for x264 aren't configured properly.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 23, 2017

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Scaramouche posted:

I don't know if it's optimal/cool but I test-run all my AVS files in Windows Media Player (assuming Windows) and it seems to work okay, and I think it supports m2ts. I don't do much fancy (nothing LP related, just stuff for work so crappy transitions, fades, audio replacement, logo overlays, etc.) so that might not be relevant to you; I think the longest thing I made was about 40 minutes.

I can preview the script through MeGUI without any issues, so I'm OK there. The problem I'm having now is trying to figure out how to encode that script and get reasonable quality.

I've made a lot of progress thanks to this thread and the responses I'm getting, but it seems I keep hitting more obstacles I need help dealing with. I miss the days when I could just use my GameBridge and play/record/edit all in VirtualDub. So much simpler back then. :(

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Aug 23, 2017

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Last post I'm hopefully going to make for a good long while.

Got a quality out of MeGUI I'm happy with and should be OK working with. But before I commit, I'm deinterlacing and encoding the video with x264, which isn't lossless. Is there a lossless option available to me?

If not, here's my workflow;

1. Capture footage with HDPVR into a M2TS file.
2. Run file through MeGUI to create a deinterlacing script using Yadif.
3. Encode with MeGUI using x264 to have a clean, albeit not lossless, quality file.
4. Put file into Vegas for editing and resizing.
5. Render video in Vegas with MainConcept AVC/AAC. (which means I'm encoding twice)
6. Upload to YouTube.
7. Pray YouTube doesn't gently caress up the quality.

If there's no other alternate steps for me to take, then I guess I've got it all figured out.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nidoking posted:

If you're just looking for an intermediate file, you can open the Avisynth script in VirtualDub and encode to AVI in the lossless codec of your choice. I know Lagarith is good for lossless capture, and I haven't heard anyone say there's a better one that I can remember, but there may be better lossless codecs when speed of writing data isn't an issue. If you have a ton of hard drive space to spare and won't need to keep the file around, you can even Direct Stream Copy the video as well as the audio, then delete the temp file when you're done with it.

Can you tell me how to open the script in VirtualDub? I can't seem to get it to work.

Edit: To be more specific, trying to open the script in VirtualDub gives me "AVI Import Filter error: (Unknown) (80040154)"
Keep in mind the original video I'm using for the script is M2TS, if that matters.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Aug 23, 2017

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nidoking posted:

How Avisynth gets the video doesn't matter - if it opens in one program, it should open in any program. Are you using 32-bit or 64-bit versions of all of the programs involved? If they're not all the same, that might cause your problem.

That might be it. MeGUI is 32-bit and my version of VirtualDub is 64-bit.

Although now that I know how to do lossless in MeGUI, I don't need VirtualDub at all.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
My audio tracks are not syncing up with my video track. I believe there's two different sets of problems.

1. The HDPVR doesn't like loading screens/static images very much, so what I'm seeing live isn't the same as what's being recorded. The game audio is synced just fine with the footage, so I could just cut up my commentary and move it around, if this was the only problem to resolve.

2. Deinterlacing the video fucks everything up, and causes gradual audio desync. The video is playing out differently from the game audio.

The length of both videos is the same, so I've got a 23-minute audio track and a 23-minute video track. It's just not matching up at all. Is there anything I can do not only to fix this, but keep it from happening again?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nidoking posted:

2. This sounds like you're doing something wrong with deinterlacing. The deinterlacing process should be 1:1 framerate-wise, so you're either changing the framerate or encoding in some variable format that changes something around.

If there's any kinda setting I'm missing here, let me know please.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Anyone have any suggestions on reducing the clickity-clacky of mouse and keyboard sounds?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I do have a click removal filter for my program of choice (Goldwave), but it's not really designed for mechanical clicks like that. More like audio pops and crackles. Using it on a vocal track shreds up the voice and doesn't have much impact on the keyboard noises.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Edit: I'm withdrawing my question because I decided against doing the thing I asked about.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 1, 2017

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I desperately need a headset that doesn't suck. I've been using the Microsoft Lifechat LX-3000 for quite some time, but I have gone through so many of the fuckers because the wire connections in this product are unreasonably fragile. The only reason I've stuck with it for so long is because any time I've tried something else, the mic quality is garbage.

I'm looking for a wireless headset that doesn't sound like I'm using a tin can and string to talk with. If you guys use one and you think it's good, can you please gimme a link to a video you did so I can hear the quality for myself? Thank you.

And I REALLY can't emphasize this enough. The Microsoft Lifechat LX-3000 is a loving mess of a product.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Everyone's favorite electrical engineer posted a video just now about audio quality in videos, which I think has some relevancy here. Don't know if any of his information can be applied, but it's worth checking out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7CtnR47w20

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Edit: I think I've run enough tests to answer my own question.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 30, 2017

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

I know Vegas gets looked down on around here, but I use it and I've always felt it was decent for the things I want/need to do for video editing. I've also never had any crashing issues with my current copy (Using Vegas Movie Studio Suite 14), which is what the common complaint used to be for older editions.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'd recommend it. Relatively intuitive interface, and anything more advanced that you need help with can usually be answered by a search on YouTube.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Maybe not the place for this, but has anyone else been having issues with VLC lately? The videos will occasionally stutter and the image will gently caress up for a few seconds. Makes it difficult for me to check my vids to make sure they rendered alright.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

So, does anyone here use OBS? I'm having some issues with it. Mainly, I've fiddled around with the settings, but I just can't seem to get the quality to "Indistinguishable", but noticed no actual change. I have a sample video of the Wii U version of Wind Waker as an example. I've fiddled about with some of the obvious settings, even Googled it and tried the settings others say to do, but nothing really makes a difference. Is there any way to keep using OBS and improve the quality?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZQGO9ktoF4

It says the video is unavailable.

Make sure your Video settings match the resolution and fps of the source. Your output resolution should be the same or smaller than your base resolution.
In the Output settings, make sure you are using a proper format and the right encoder. MP4 with x264, for example.
You shouldn't have to change anything in the Advanced settings, but you could take a screenshot of what it's set as so others here could comment on if anything needs to be changed.

If I'm not telling you anything you didn't already know, then maybe tell us some info about the file it produces. Resolution, length, filesize, etc. Someone might be able to make some guesses based on that.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Here's an odd question that I don't know where else to ask.

Apparently Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5's content was all online. There was no offline mode, even if you were playing single player. Activision shut down the servers, meaning the entire game is no longer playable (funnily enough they just put it on sale).

Is there any way to get around something like this? If I wanted to buy and suffer through THPS5 for the enjoyment of dozens, is there any actual option to do so?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

lohli posted:

From what I read about that, the single player has an offline mode, but it is jankey and doesn't work right, you have to have your entire console cut off from the internet while playing in offline mode, because if your ps4 has an active internet connection when finishing any kind of goal even in offline mode the game will see there is an internet connection and try to take you online, throwing you back to the main menu when it fails.

So if you wanted to stream it, you'd need a capture device instead of streaming straight from the console.

Maybe I misread or maybe it just didn't have that info. My understanding was that since the game was always-online, most or all the content isn't available even if you don't have the PS4 online.

Leal posted:

If its like an MMO I think thats it, its gone. Welcome to the future of video games where devs want to turn video games from video games to an online service.

It's this one I believe.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Alright, thanks for the info guys. Since I've already done playthroughs of so many Tony Hawk games, it's not unthinkable that I might one day give 5 a try to see how awful it is, and I just wanted to see if that was still an option. If not, there's plenty of other bad Tony Hawk games I might find myself doing some day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Hey, just a random question.

If a game runs at 60fps, but might vary at times, and I record with OBS at a constant 60fps, would that create any kind of weirdness with the resulting video?