Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

jeffersonlives posted:

The key question for me here is congressional intent/statutory interpretation; I don't think there's a Supreme Court case if RFRA specifically excludes or includes corporations. I don't see this case in a "First Amendment rights" past RFRA way at all, at least not the Hobby Lobby corporate rights side of it (and the Conestoga Wood half of the consolidation that reached more of the constitutional issues that get at Citizens United has huge standing problems because it asserts the constitutional rights of the owners to get there).

You're still seeming stuck on the constitutional question. It's not relevant to my point. I'm talking about RFRA rights.

I'm saying that, absent an explicit statement in RFRA that it doesn't apply to corporations, this court will say that if an individual has a right under RFRA then a corporation will also have that right as an assembly of individuals. This, as I've said, is the same logic they used in CU - the fact that the underlying right is different between the two isn't relevant to their logic.

I don't like the predicted decision, but I think it's a correct prediction of the court's eventual logic. If they hedge at all, it'll be by limiting it to closely held corporations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

twodot posted:

Are you trying to make a legal or moral argument? Your argument is wrong on both counts, but this makes me think you are attempting a moral approach despite many legal references.

It's meant to be a legal argument, but I'd be interested to know why you think it's a moral argument?

To summarize my argument.

A law (as applied to me) violates RFRA if it substantially burdens my free exercise of religion (and doesn't fit within an exception).

I claim that doing X is prohibited by my religious beliefs. Therefore, I claim that if the government compels me to do X, the government has substantially burdened my free exercise of religion.

The above argument is sound, but only if two things are true.

First, X must actually be prohibited by my religious beliefs. I'm willing to grant the validity of my belief here for the sake of argument.

Second, I must not routinely voluntarily do X . If I routinely do X voluntarily, then regardless of whether I believe X is wrong, my free exercise of religion already includes doing X. If my free exercise already includes doing X, then my free exercise is not burdened by telling me to do X.

I routinely do X without compulsion.

Therefore, compelling me to do X cannot substantially burden my exercise of religion, because my free exercise of religion already includes routinely doing X.

If I was going to highlight a potential weakness in this argument, I can imagine some situation in which my choosing to do X has religious significance that is burdened when I am compelled to do X. But that only seems to arise in cases where the religious significance lies in the choice between X and not X, not the religious significance of X an not X in and of themselves. I don't think Hobby Lobby has argued that its free exercise is burdened because it has been robbed of the ability to overcome the temptation to cover abortions.

Also, I'll concede that this would probably be an argument to be hashed out at the trial court level, since whether I actually practice my claimed religious beliefs is a factual question.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Kalman posted:

I'm saying that, absent an explicit statement in RFRA that it doesn't apply to corporations, this court will say that if an individual has a right under RFRA then a corporation will also have that right as an assembly of individuals. This, as I've said, is the same logic they used in CU - the fact that the underlying right is different between the two isn't relevant to their logic.

Except of course it's relevant because nobody suggests corporations have all legal rights of a person. The Court doesn't even suggest they have all constitutional rights, nor does it suggest that the default state is that the corporation has the right.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

jeffersonlives posted:

Except of course it's relevant because nobody suggests corporations have all legal rights of a person. The Court doesn't even suggest they have all constitutional rights, nor does it suggest that the default state is that the corporation has the right.

Absent anything explicit in the statute saying they don't, where do you expect the court to derive an argument that they shouldn't inherit the rights of the associated individuals forming the corporation from?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

jeffersonlives posted:

This gets back to the question of "pass-through" rights. Volokh:

quote:

Let us focus on the three examples mentioned in the preceding post, but tied to closely held corporations. Imagine that a newly enacted law requires all markets to sell state lottery tickets. and say that a particular market is owned by a corporation that is wholly owned by members of a United Methodist family, who believe it’s against their religion for any business that they own, directly or indirectly, to sell lottery tickets. Or imagine the same as to a law requiring all markets to sell beer and wine, and owners of a Methodist or a Muslim family corporation object to this because they think selling wine is sinful. Or say that a law requires all gas stations to operate seven days a week, and say that a particular gas station is owned by a corporation owned by members of a Jewish or Seventh-Day Adventist family, who believe that it is wrong for any business that they own to operate on the Sabbath.

All the store-owning corporations, together with the individual owners of those corporations, sue, seeking an exemption from the lottery ticket mandate, alcohol mandate, or the seven-day-a-week mandate. Should all these claims be rejected, on the theory that (1) corporations lack RFRA rights, and (2) the owners of the corporations can’t raise RFRA claims because the burdens are imposed on the corporations and not on them?

quote:

There are plenty of precedents as to corporations when it comes to the freedom of expression. Some people use Citizens United as shorthand for the proposition that corporations have First Amendment rights, but of course the Court has been treating corporations as having First Amendment rights for many decades. The Court upheld such rights as to a media business corporation in 1936 (Grosjean), and spoke of the free speech rights of a nonmedia business corporation in 1941 (Virginia Electric & Power Co.). The 1941 case was somewhat ambiguous, but later cases routinely cited it for the proposition that employers, clearly including corporate employers, had free speech rights (e.g., Thomas v. Collins (1945)).

There remained some uncertainty about the matter in the 1940s, but then by the 1960s the First Amendment rights of nonmedia business corporations became well-settled, and in First National Bank of Boston v. Bellotti (1978) the Court made this explicit. The debate on the Court since First National Bank of Boston has generally been whether corporate free speech rights can be limited for speech regarding elections, not whether corporations have free speech rights at all — both conservative and liberal Justices have routinely concluded that they do have free speech rights.

This having been said, the free speech cases are not directly applicable to religious exemption cases. For instance, free speech rights are justified partly based on the interests of individual listeners, not just the corporate speakers; that doesn’t necessarily carry over as to religious exemption cases. And indeed the Court has at times treated corporate rights differently in different constitutional areas. So the corporate speech line of cases is not necessarily helpful here.

quote:

Do restrictions on corporations sometimes burden the religious practice of individuals? Sometimes, the answer is uncontroversially yes. Churches don’t believe or pray, either, but restrictions on churches interfere with the ability of individuals to participate in collective religious exercise.

Likewise, though for a different reason, with closely held corporations. If such a corporation is required to do something, the owners of the corporation may believe that this is obligating them to participate in that thing — as a matter of reality and of moral and religious obligation, setting aside the legal fiction. If they so believe, and they believe that this violates their religious beliefs, then the law substantially burdens their religious beliefs, even though it does that through imposing an obligation on a corporation. They face the same choice that sole proprietors or partners face: violate their religious obligations, violate the law and face the penalties for violating the law, or sell off their share of the business, which may be a very grave financial burden.

(For a slightly different approach, see my colleague Stephen Bainbridge’s Using Reverse Veil Piercing to Vindicate the Free Exercise Rights of Incorporated Employers. I agree with a good deal of what Steve says, but I focus on the religious beliefs of the owners of the corporation, and think it is not relevant whether, for instance, “the corporation’s articles of incorporation include a statement of purpose referencing religious beliefs and goals,” or “religious practices such as devotions, prayer, scripture reading, or worship services [are] routinely made a part of corporate meetings.”)

The matter is different, I think, with regard to shareholders in publicly traded corporations. Generally speaking, a public company stockholder could sell his stock with little cost, so the law won’t impose a substantial burden on him. To be sure, little cost isn’t no cost; but here is where the substantial burden requirement comes into play. (I realize that some people own stock through retirement funds and other mechanisms in which divestment is difficult; I’m inclined to say that this shouldn’t change the analysis, partly because such difficulty usually stems from private contractual constraints and not governmental obligations, but this is one area where my thinking is especially tentative.)

quote:

3. We can now return to the text of the RFRA. RFRA speaks generally of the rights of “persons,” and the Dictionary Act provides that, “unless the context indicates otherwise,” the word “person” “include[s] corporations … as well as individuals.” The context of RFRA — religious freedom — does indicate that the underlying rights being protected must be the rights of human beings, who can actually feel religious obligations.

But this context is quite consistent with the normal legal practice of protecting corporate rights as a means of protecting the underlying rights of human beings. When it comes to closely held corporations, letting the corporation stand in for its owners — when the owners object that a law requiring the corporation to do something will require them to violate their own religious beliefs — makes good sense.

And even if the courts conclude otherwise, and say that the corporation cannot itself bring the religious exemption claim, the owners should be free to raise their own claims. If we see through the legal fiction of the corporation in concluding that corporations lack RFRA rights, then we should likewise see how obligations imposed on a closely-held corporation can oblige its owners to be complicit in what they see as sinful behavior.
http://www.volokh.com/2013/12/03/rfra-allow-exemptions-burdens-imposed-corporations/

Obviously I highly disagree with the practical implications of this, but it's a straightforward combination of corporate law and the RFRA. The real problem is that the RFRA is a poorly-written bill that has far-reaching implications and that the PPACA did not exempt itself from it.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 4, 2013

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

Kalman posted:

Absent anything explicit in the statute saying they don't, where do you expect the court to derive an argument that they shouldn't inherit the rights of the associated individuals forming the corporation from?

I'd argue that the government isn't taking rights. Instead, individuals are voluntarily relinquishing them to get some tax- and liability-advantaged state.

I have a right to spend my money to support a church. But, I can't spend my IRA's money to support a church. I accepted restrictions when I put cash into a special account.

I realize that the same argument could apply to Citizens United. I think they'll draw a line based on a group's purpose. Citizens United (the lobbying group) was an association created so people could combine their resources and advance a particular political view. A law saying, "people can spend individual money to promote a political video, but they can't coordinate and do it" creates a real burden on free-speech.

In contrast Hobby Lobby is a for-profit corporation. It was chartered to create a legal separation between the Green's personal assets, and those assets that would be used to conduct business.

The burden would be a lot less.

(But this might be wishful thinking. I think it's unfortunate that Citizens applied to for-profit corporation. I can see removing restrictions on unions/lobbying groups. But corporations aren't really there to promote a political stance. If shareholders want to spend corporate money on lobbying, they should withdraw it, pay the tax, and then direct it to an appropriate lobbying group)

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Kalman posted:

Well that's the interesting statutory interpretation question, isn't it? The 3rd Circuit rationale was basically "lol of course they didn't include corporations, that would be a loving ridiculous outcome" (and given the Chief Justice's vote in the other mandate case, don't underestimate this as a rationale in an ACA case where cleaner drafting presents no problems), the Western District of Oklahoma pointed out a lateral reference to standing in RFRA that makes no sense if corporations are included, the 6th Circuit just flat said that for-profits and their owners couldn't have standing for these kinds of RFRA claims, and the 9th Circuit actually ruled for Hobby Lobby but using a statutory interpretation model to get there through the Dictionary Act instead of just going "welp this is the default."

Paul MaudDib posted:

This gets back to the question of "pass-through" rights. Volokh:

http://www.volokh.com/2013/12/03/rfra-allow-exemptions-burdens-imposed-corporations/

Obviously I highly disagree with the practical implications of this, but it's a straightforward combination of corporate law and the RFRA. The real problem is that the RFRA is a poorly-written bill that has far-reaching implications and that the PPACA did not exempt itself from it.

I'd be very careful of accepting Professor Volokh's RFRA roadmap (which is largely couched in hypotheticals) as a substantive prediction of the Supreme Court's holding here. He's not really arguing what you think he's arguing.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

jeffersonlives posted:

I'd be very careful of accepting Professor Volokh's RFRA roadmap (which is largely couched in hypotheticals) as a substantive prediction of the Supreme Court's holding here. He's not really arguing what you think he's arguing.

Can you explain why he's not arguing what I think he's arguing, and give a counterargument or link a place I can find one?

Again, I just can't see this court going anti-religion and anti-corporation. Which of the conservatives would swing against corporate power and religions and avoid taking a stab at a black Democratic president's signature achievement, and why?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 4, 2013

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

Can you explain why he's not arguing what I think he's arguing, and give a counterargument or link a place I can find one?

Professor Volokh is not arguing what he expects the outcome of this case to be. He is giving a walkthrough, as a libertarian law professor, aimed at the masses, of what his idea of the general issues of this case are - a series which he has not yet concluded and certainly does not reach the conclusion as of yet that this is in any way "straightforward." But this is very much someone who is kind of out there on some of this stuff (I mean, he's a loving law professor) throwing out hypos to illustrate how he thinks it should go, not how it will.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Again, I just can't see this court going anti-religion and anti-corporation. Which of the conservatives would swing against corporate power and religions and avoid loving over a black Democratic president's signature achievement, and why?

Because they really don't always vote like this as if everything's a pop culture case, c.f. Chief Justice Roberts's plurality opinion in National Federation.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
And you're going to have to find the Fifth Justice who's going to rule against Hobby Lobby; Kennedy hasn't joined the pro-choice side since Casey and Roberts has a murky history on abortion access in the lower rings too.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

TinTower posted:

And you're going to have to find the Fifth Justice who's going to rule against Hobby Lobby; Kennedy hasn't joined the pro-choice side since Casey and Roberts has a murky history on abortion access in the lower rings too.

This isn't an abortion case at all. It's not even a little bit about abortion in the facts that don't really mean a whole lot except to the extent that the religious right attempts to conflate contraception and abortion, it's only about contraception coverage.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Not My Leg posted:

I claim that doing X is prohibited by my religious beliefs. Therefore, I claim that if the government compels me to do X, the government has substantially burdened my free exercise of religion.

The above argument is sound, but only if two things are true.

First, X must actually be prohibited by my religious beliefs. I'm willing to grant the validity of my belief here for the sake of argument.

Second, I must not routinely voluntarily do X . If I routinely do X voluntarily, then regardless of whether I believe X is wrong, my free exercise of religion already includes doing X. If my free exercise already includes doing X, then my free exercise is not burdened by telling me to do X.
Morally, I understand why you might require your second test. What legal basis do you have for making the second requirement?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

twodot posted:

Morally, I understand why you might require your second test. What legal basis do you have for making the second requirement?

A "substantial burden" to your religious rights is required. If you're being asked to do something you do all the time, clearly it's not a substantial burden.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
I don't think they'd rule in favor of a company that doesn't want any health care for their employees because the owners believe in healing prayer only. I don't think they're gonna rule in favor of Hobby Lobby's cert that women that work for them no matter the issue cannot get birth control. It's pure ignorance from a medical stand point that a 50 year old woman that is infertile but needs BC because of some issue should be denied it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Korak posted:

I don't think they'd rule in favor of a company that doesn't want any health care for their employees because the owners believe in healing prayer only. I don't think they're gonna rule in favor of Hobby Lobby's cert that women that work for them no matter the issue cannot get birth control. It's pure ignorance from a medical stand point that a 50 year old woman that is infertile but needs BC because of some issue should be denied it.

It's easy to draw a distinction between the two: the RFRA allows a substantial burden on religious exercise if it's a "compelling governmental interest" and the "least restrictive means of furthering that compelling governmental interest". It is very easy to write a decision on the basis that health care is a compelling governmental interest, but contraceptive care specifically is not if that's how you want to rule.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

evilweasel posted:

It's easy to draw a distinction between the two: the RFRA allows a substantial burden on religious exercise if it's a "compelling governmental interest" and the "least restrictive means of furthering that compelling governmental interest". It is very easy to write a decision on the basis that health care is a compelling governmental interest, but contraceptive care specifically is not if that's how you want to rule.

Would the systemic costs (fiscal and social) of unplanned/unwanted pregnancies be sufficient?

It sucks that the court can go "but just this one time" so that they can sleep easy knowing that allowing bosses to wield theocratic tyranny over their powerless employees is a one-off on paper as it becomes de facto precedent anyway.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Entire Universe posted:

Would the systemic costs (fiscal and social) of unplanned/unwanted pregnancies be sufficient?

It sucks that the court can go "but just this one time" so that they can sleep easy knowing that allowing bosses to wield theocratic tyranny over their powerless employees is a one-off on paper as it becomes de facto precedent anyway.

There's plenty of legitimate ways to say this is a compelling governmental interest. I'm not saying the position I outlined is correct or that it is what will happen. What I'm saying is that Korak's argument - which I read as essentially saying "they can't rule for Hobby Lobby here because they'd have to make a ruling that would be completely insane as applied here" is wrong, because there's an easy way they can draw a line between the two. You cannot rely on them upholding the contraception mandate with the theory that striking it down would let any religious group object to any medical procedure being covered: the law gives them the wiggle room to draw distinctions that pass the laugh test.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

jeffersonlives posted:

This isn't an abortion case at all. It's not even a little bit about abortion in the facts that don't really mean a whole lot except to the extent that the religious right attempts to conflate contraception and abortion, it's only about contraception coverage.

That's exactly why it is an abortion case. At the very least, it's a proxy war.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

evilweasel posted:

A "substantial burden" to your religious rights is required. If you're being asked to do something you do all the time, clearly it's not a substantial burden.
What's the legal basis for this? The standard of "something you do all the time" doesn't seem coherent to me, and generally, I don't see why being a lovely (or in this case, hypothetically unaware of science) Christian should allow the government to substantially burden sincere beliefs.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

twodot posted:

What's the legal basis for this? The standard of "something you do all the time" doesn't seem coherent to me, and generally, I don't see why being a lovely (or in this case, hypothetically unaware of science) Christian should allow the government to substantially burden sincere beliefs.

Like I said, part of "substantial burden". The RFRA carves out exemptions for individuals, it doesn't overturn laws because they substantially burden one person's exercise of religion. You're assuming that substantial burden in the bolded part: I'm saying this is something that is evidence something is not a substantial burden (or the belief is not sincere).

So if you go to court and tell them that it substantially burdens your exercise of religion for the government to compel you to do X, it is a reasonable inference that if you do X routinely then doing X does not, in fact, substantially burden your exercise of religion.

To make a parallel to a similar sort of situation - if you say you're immune to the draft because you're a conscientious objector to the use of violence in all forms, if the government then provides evidence you get into brawls on a routine basis and have injured several people, that's a strong argument your supposed objection to the use of violence in all forms is bullshit. Likewise, if you go into court and tell them that paying for contraception is a substantial burden on your exercise of religion and a receipt showing you paying for birth control pills for yourself/your wife/whoever falls out of your pocket, that also strongly suggests your professed substantial burden is bullshit.

JibberJabberwocky
Mar 24, 2012

evilweasel posted:

Likewise, if you go into court and tell them that paying for contraception is a substantial burden on your exercise of religion and a receipt showing you paying for birth control pills for yourself/your wife/whoever falls out of your pocket, that also strongly suggests your professed substantial burden is bullshit.

To carry this a little further since people were asking about it above. This is why the science doesn't matter that much. You can have a sincere belief in something stupid, and believe it would be a burden to your religious activity. But yeah, being a lovely Christian matters. Substantial burden requires that you prove you are going to be forced to DO SOMETHING or NOT DO SOMETHING in such a way that this burdens your ability to practice your religion as you sincerely believe it to obligate you. The forcing has to be such that it goes against a belief you hold. I can't improve on evilweasel's examples but I can add that there's some significance in the burden being put on you. There's no burden in being forced to do something you do all the time - so being a lapsed <whatever you are> to the extent you normally ignore the prohibition you are trying to assert for protection, that matters here.

Note this is different from someone who, a while back, had a spiritual change of heart and joined a convent/converted/whatever as long as you could show it's a burden to their contigious belief NOW and they're consistent in their current belief. It'd be up to the court what the timeframe would be, but you need to be able to produce a coherent narrative of "this is loving with my ability to practice my religion and I would totally not do this thing if left to my own devices".

So inquiry into the advisability or scientific accuracy of their belief probably won't work as an argument before the actual court - but inquiry into their consistent adherence to the belief infringed would, sure. You can't grab the belief like a shield when it's convenient if there's proof you ignored it last week. This is like the one place where a test of the logical consistency of your complaint and your beliefs comes up.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

evilweasel posted:

Like I said, part of "substantial burden". The RFRA carves out exemptions for individuals, it doesn't overturn laws because they substantially burden one person's exercise of religion. You're assuming that substantial burden in the bolded part: I'm saying this is something that is evidence something is not a substantial burden (or the belief is not sincere).

So if you go to court and tell them that it substantially burdens your exercise of religion for the government to compel you to do X, it is a reasonable inference that if you do X routinely then doing X does not, in fact, substantially burden your exercise of religion.

To make a parallel to a similar sort of situation - if you say you're immune to the draft because you're a conscientious objector to the use of violence in all forms, if the government then provides evidence you get into brawls on a routine basis and have injured several people, that's a strong argument your supposed objection to the use of violence in all forms is bullshit. Likewise, if you go into court and tell them that paying for contraception is a substantial burden on your exercise of religion and a receipt showing you paying for birth control pills for yourself/your wife/whoever falls out of your pocket, that also strongly suggests your professed substantial burden is bullshit.

Hobby Lobby is a craft store, not a medical research organization. It's not reasonable to expect them to know the detailed risks of every possible procedure before they're allowed to object to procedures with which they are aware of the scientific debate about the associated risks. I'd wager most people who aren't experts don't know that and it's a ridiculous standard to insist that a person have specialized knowledge in multiple fields in order to sincerely hold a belief.

All Hobby Lobby has to say is "We didn't know that, we'll add that too, thanks." Congratulations, even less healthcare for women unless you get the judge to rule that amniocentesis is a compelling state interest so that's required. And in that case Hobby Lobby still wins with regard to the procedures they are suing over.

The arguments that the other circuits used to deny the suit are better arguments. I don't know why this one matters to you so much, because even if it prevailed against Hobby Lobby it would set a precedent that other employers who excluded treatments you're talking about could still get exemptions.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

VitalSigns posted:

The arguments that the other circuits used to deny the suit are better arguments. I don't know why this one matters to you so much, because even if it prevailed against Hobby Lobby it would set a precedent that other employers who excluded treatments you're talking about could still get exemptions.

I am making this argument because twodot is suggesting it's not a valid one. I have no idea where you got "this is the only argument that matters to me" from this discussion, it is the argument I'm discussing because it is the one someone is objecting to.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
The pope could come out and say "Hobby Lobby covering contraceptives doesn't make the owner a bad Christian" and it wouldn't matter to the people fighting to deny coverage.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

The pope could come out and say "Hobby Lobby covering contraceptives doesn't make the owner a bad Christian" and it wouldn't matter to the people fighting to deny coverage.

The Greens aren't catholic so yeah it'd have no effect.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

evilweasel posted:

I believe in a lot of cases, the corporations previously covered abortions without thinking about it, and the 'no abortion' policies are relatively new. Doesn't this mean that it's not an undue burden for those companies, since they shouldered that burden before?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I just wanted to pop in and say this was one of the funniest and most informative OPs I've ever seen. Thanks for putting it together, The Warszawa!

I had no idea how badass Ginsberg was/is. :allears:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

evilweasel posted:

I am making this argument because twodot is suggesting it's not a valid one. I have no idea where you got "this is the only argument that matters to me" from this discussion, it is the argument I'm discussing because it is the one someone is objecting to.

Whoops sorry, I just assumed that what I was quoting was by the original poster of that argument, didn't notice you had jumped in on the merits.

Still, the argument doesn't seem to accomplish anything even if it were accepted, since Hobby Lobby can plausibly claim ignorance since they're not experts in a specialized field and thus it doesn't impact their sincere belief. And the courts have been reluctant to wade in on the scientific issues, content to simply note that there is at least some controversy over the claims in scientific circles, which is enough to keep them from throwing out the suit for being totally ridiculous (like they might if they claimed that, say, vasectomies caused abortions).

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Obdicut posted:

I believe in a lot of cases, the corporations previously covered abortions without thinking about it, and the 'no abortion' policies are relatively new. Doesn't this mean that it's not an undue burden for those companies, since they shouldered that burden before?

Thing is if they hadn't really examined their policy before they can convincingly claim ignorance of the effects of the health coverage they previously offered. You'd need to be able to make a convincing argument that they were at least properly aware of contraception being covered.

Draw a parallel to say a new story coming out about Nike routinely using child slave labour to make it's running shoes. Would you call everyone that decided to start boycotting Nike hypocrites just trying to draw attention to themselves since they were perfectly fine buying those trainers before? After all the effect is the same and if they didn't spend time investigating the production processes involved in their clothing choices it must show that it's not something that troubles their conscience.

Now of course I don't think that offering contraceptives as part of a general health plan does place an undue burden on Hobby Lobby as a corporation. It's still their individual employees' option to actually avail themselves of it. Although I wonder if you could draw an analogy to a summer camp run by buddhists that was required by law to provide meat options to guests/employees in their cafeterias? Does that cover similar legal grounds (assuming some similar legal question) especially if meals were part of an employees compensation? Obviously the impact on the employees would probably be less.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

MrNemo posted:

Thing is if they hadn't really examined their policy before they can convincingly claim ignorance of the effects of the health coverage they previously offered. You'd need to be able to make a convincing argument that they were at least properly aware of contraception being covered.

My argument is that they were incurious about it, though.

quote:

Draw a parallel to say a new story coming out about Nike routinely using child slave labour to make it's running shoes. Would you call everyone that decided to start boycotting Nike hypocrites just trying to draw attention to themselves since they were perfectly fine buying those trainers before? After all the effect is the same and if they didn't spend time investigating the production processes involved in their clothing choices it must show that it's not something that troubles their conscience.

They'd be hypocrites if they were actually employing child labor themselves. I think that there's a difference between an individual consumer trying to track down the origins of a ton of different purchases and a company claiming it didn't really read through the whole insurance contract that carefully.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
SCOTUS granted cert and will review the Federal Circuit's CLS case relating to patent subject matter eligibility. Very exciting.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

gvibes posted:

SCOTUS granted cert and will review the Federal Circuit's CLS case relating to patent subject matter eligibility. Very exciting.

About time. CLS was an en banc abortion.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I'm sort of hoping for a highly narrow ruling on CLS in absence of some middle road that calls bullshit on some of the more groan-inducing software/design patents. Software patents have a place, but the status quo is a drat plague on innovation lest someone independently design an intuitive UI element in an app and get atomized by the big fish because once you put an obvious and prior action on a touchscreen it loses all relevance and relation to physical mechanisms.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Obdicut posted:

My argument is that they were incurious about it, though.

They'd be hypocrites if they were actually employing child labor themselves. I think that there's a difference between an individual consumer trying to track down the origins of a ton of different purchases and a company claiming it didn't really read through the whole insurance contract that carefully.

It's worth remembering that Hobby Lobby self insures, they do not offer a commercially insured plan. So it's not just a matter of Hobby Lobby not knowing what the insurer covers, Hobby Lobby is itself the insurer, and if it is going to use religious criteria to determine what treatments to cover it should have a duty to conduct a reasonable investigation into what treatments violate the religious criteria.

Basically, I think a party should have a duty to conduct reasonable investigation into whether it is engaged in acts that it considers contrary to its religion before it can claim that being compelled to do those acts constitutes a substantial burden. I would argue that X is not a substantial burden on your free exercise if you don't take reasonable steps to determine whether you are routinely doing X.

To be clear though, a duty to conduct a reasonable investigation is different than a duty to be all knowing about a field that requires substantial expertise. You should reasonably know that a pill called "The Abortion Pill: Causes Abortions 100% of the Time" actually causes abortions. It's unreasonable to require you to know the likelihood of causing an abortion for every medical treatment ever.

Also, I don't think this is the best argument, or even necessarily a good argument. I only stepped in to defend it because people were suggesting it has no validity at all. I disagree.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

I'm sort of hoping for a highly narrow ruling on CLS in absence of some middle road that calls bullshit on some of the more groan-inducing software/design patents. Software patents have a place, but the status quo is a drat plague on innovation lest someone independently design an intuitive UI element in an app and get atomized by the big fish because once you put an obvious and prior action on a touchscreen it loses all relevance and relation to physical mechanisms.

The Supreme Court punted in Bilski to begin with (it's a conclusion without any reasoning whatsoever), which didn't help matters much.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

The Supreme Court punted in Bilski to begin with (it's a conclusion without any reasoning whatsoever), which didn't help matters much.

Well, that's loving wonderful.

There's probably going to be a future case to distinguish output from operation and design, but at least this case could clearly separate the software from the hardware as a distinct device/tool/'machine' as long as it was specific enough to require significant detail to be considered a tool by which the general purpose computer is made to operate and remain operating within the parameters of the software. That way the bullshit abstraction some software patents use to basically patent all ways to achieve a certain output (I.e. like patenting the chemical process by which iron and carbon become steel instead of, say, the Bessemer process) are possibly invalidated while specific aspects within software (such as an encryption process or a compression algorithm) remain intact and can define a patent.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Really, they should just apply 112-6 algorithm disclosure requirements to all software patents that claim implementation of a function via a general purpose computer. That'd do most of the necessary work.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Software patents have a place

I disagree that patents of any kind have any place.

Yeah, I know. It's probably untenable, and I'm most likely going to be shown via unintended consequences why this is a dumb opinion. But Edison himself was a notorious patent troll and abuser of the system, and I don't really think they've gotten much better since.

StarMagician
Jan 2, 2013

Query: Are you saying that one coon calling for the hanging of another coon is racist?

Check and mate D&D.

Well, that's loving wonderful.

There's probably going to be a future case to distinguish output from operation and design, but at least this case could clearly separate the software from the hardware as a distinct device/tool/'machine' as long as it was specific enough to require significant detail to be considered a tool by which the general purpose computer is made to operate and remain operating within the parameters of the software. That way the bullshit abstraction some software patents use to basically patent all ways to achieve a certain output (I.e. like patenting the chemical process by which iron and carbon become steel instead of, say, the Bessemer process) are possibly invalidated while specific aspects within software (such as an encryption process or a compression algorithm) remain intact and can define a patent.

Do the Supremes have anywhere close to the degree of technical expertise they would need to write a decision that would accomplish this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Knowing some people who have been hosed over because big business was able to ignore their patents and drop more cash than they could ever afford in court, I agree that the patent system is broken. But in the face of financial coercion, I don't think the right answer is to let the free market work it out. Instead we need a way to effectively enforce patent law in such a way that it doesn't favor the insanely powerful and wealthy against everyone else.

It's basically "The problems with Capitalism" and the answer isn't "Let's get rid of regulation to make things better!"