Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

mdemone posted:

The percentage of legal voters who engage in voting fraud is also a rounding error. If voter ID is a trivial solution to a non-existent problem, why are state legislatures spending their time with it?

Oh, I fully agree, but states are allowed to pass dumb laws that don't accomplish anything.

The argument that voter ID laws, regardless of motive, is a form of racial discrimination that needs to be regulated just looks absurd to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Northjayhawk posted:

If ID cards are good for only one year, cost $50, and took hours to apply for then I might see it as some kind of difficult burden.

They aren't, so I don't, and the vast majority of people already have a DL. The percentage of legal voters who do not have any form of ID is a rounding error. Using my state (Iowa) as one example, an ID card is good for 8 years and costs $7. Going to the DMV once every 8 years and paying less than 10 bucks is not a substantial burden, at all.

They aren't actually a rounding error,, there's a significant dispute about the actual numbers but even the lowest legitimate estimates are full percentage points of the electorate

Northjayhawk posted:

The argument that voter ID laws, regardless of motive, is a form of racial discrimination that needs to be regulated just looks absurd to me.

It is in fact unquestionable that voter id laws have disparate impact on minorities

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Northjayhawk posted:

Oh, I fully agree, but states are allowed to pass dumb laws that don't accomplish anything.

If it could be empirically shown that the laws (regardless of intent) produced tangibly discriminatory results, either racial or otherwise, would that change your opinion?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Northjayhawk posted:

All the voter ID laws in America have been motivated by racial discrimination, so it needs to be regulated. The only people who care to do it are ones who want to disenfranchise the poor, who are disproportionately minorities, who disproportionately vote Democrat.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

mdemone posted:

If it could be empirically shown that the laws (regardless of intent) produced tangibly discriminatory results, either racial or otherwise, would that change your opinion?

The key word here being "tangibly". If we found out that voter ID laws would result in, say, 0.3% fewer votes then I'm not going to care what the racial makeup of that 0.3% may be. I guess there may be different opinions on how much is substantial enough to care but we can't have a "even one voter is 1 too many" standard.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Stereotype posted:

So, according to the AG of Louisiana, the phrase "It is so ordered" at the bottom of the opinion isn't actually an order and so they can just wait until General Sherman rises from the grave and forces him at gunpoint to let two dudes marry each other?

really want this to happen

mdemone posted:

Like, I can appreciate that. At least as a white man I can attempt to identify with it, even if I don't have the life experience to fully do so. I just do not understand why he would think that the government/judiciary must sit by and do nothing to help people achieve functional equality.

Because the Constitution (on Thomas' view) doesn't provide any means or justification for that to happen, and maintaining the text of the Constitution, rule of law, etc is more important to him than functional equality.

Northjayhawk posted:

Whether or not they're intended to be racially discriminatory, I think they almost certainly have a disproportionate impact on racial minorities. I mean, I don't think they're explicitly racially motivated - I think that they're politically motivated, and in a lot of places race and class happen to be really strong proxies for political behavior. But either way, they're not just dumb and pointless, but actively harmful to the democratic process. Even if the actual effect is almost nil, it's still negative and still wrong in principle.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Fwiw part of my job used to be helping kids getting out of foster care get copies of IDs, social security cards, etc. and between getting materials together, driving them around to various offices open only certain days in the month in rural TN, waiting in line at those offices, etc. it usually took about 12-18 hours over two weeks and that is with the help of an adult with reliable transportation and previous experience getting ID.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

UberJew posted:

They aren't actually a rounding error,, there's a significant dispute about the actual numbers but even the lowest legitimate estimates are full percentage points of the electorate

source please

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Northjayhawk posted:

The fact that the AG of Pennsylvania touted the ID laws as "A guarantee that Romney will take the state" should give even the most obtuse moron an idea that the laws are written to target a very specific segment of the population.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Northjayhawk posted:

The key word here being "tangibly". If we found out that voter ID laws would result in, say, 0.3% fewer votes then I'm not going to care what the racial makeup of that 0.3% may be. I guess there may be different opinions on how much is substantial enough to care but we can't have a "even one voter is 1 too many" standard.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/17/pennsylvania-voter-id-struck-down_n_4617304.html

quote:

Commonwealth Court Judge Bernard McGinley said Friday that the photo identification requirement at the center of Pennsylvania’s controversial 2012 voter ID law “unreasonably burdens the rights to vote” guaranteed by the state constitution. He ordered the commonwealth to stop enforcing the requirement.

In a two-week trial last summer, the plaintiffs argued that the law would effectively disenfranchise about 500,000 people, especially Democrats, minority groups, the elderly and students.

500,000 people being about 4% of Pennsylvania's population.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

botany posted:

source please

http://arp.sagepub.com/content/40/4/461.abstract

Has the most conservative result of all papers that I've seen. 0.3% in Indiana and 1.2% overall. I don't consider those numbers rounding errors, but you might disagree.

e: the other side of the coin found 11% http://www.brennancenter.org/sites/default/files/legacy/d/download_file_39242.pdf, which is why I say there is a significant dispute

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 26, 2015

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Bob Ojeda posted:

Because the Constitution (on Thomas' view) doesn't provide any means or justification for that to happen, and maintaining the text of the Constitution, rule of law, etc is more important to him than functional equality.

Well what in the hell does he think the Constitution was for? It's in the first goddamn sentence, "establish justice".

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

pentyne posted:

The fact that the AG of Pennsylvania touted the ID laws as "A guarantee that Romney will take the state" should give even the most obtuse moron an idea that the laws are written to target a very specific segment of the population.

I do not believe motive is relevant if the actual impact and/or burden is negligible. If the legislature of a state decided at a Klan meeting that printing ballots on light green paper would discourage non-white races from voting and then enacted that change, I'm not really going to care because their absurd idea won't do much, if anything.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Northjayhawk posted:

Uh, why not? You're OK with someone being denied the right to vote because their boss wouldn't allow them the time off necessary to go get their state voter ID card?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Northjayhawk posted:

I do not believe motive is relevant if the actual impact and/or burden is negligible. If the legislature of a state decided at a Klan meeting that printing ballots on light green paper would discourage non-white races from voting and then enacted that change, I'm not really going to care because their absurd idea won't do much, if anything.

Likewise, if we ban voting for people with skin darker than X, so long as we make X very very dark, it doesn't matter and it isn't really racist!

Alter Ego posted:

Uh, why not? You're OK with someone being denied the right to vote because their boss wouldn't allow them the time off necessary to go get their state voter ID card?

And that's still ignoring that even 0.3% of a state population would be enough to swing quite a number of statewide races and could be a significant portion of smaller races.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Northjayhawk posted:

I don't know if I've ever met anyone who was okay with disparate impact but not intent.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm not even really sure why this is a question.

If you legitimately care about making sure that the voting process is as smooth as possible then Voter IDs are way down the line. Even if you do support voter ID laws then it should come with greater oversight and more accessibility to IDs for everyone who wants one, which includes reforming the way IDs are handled including hours, locations where IDs can be gotten, and cost. Once you've got those significantly greater problems resolved then you can worry about Voter ID laws.

Like there's a lot wrong with the voting process in the US but if you legitimately care about everyone getting their legal recognized vote then there are things that contribute a lot more significantly than voter fraud and if you resolved those issues you'd probably find a lot more support for actual voter ID laws.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

And for those still sticking their fingers in their ears about the impacts of voter ID:

quote:

In Texas, Democratic officials said the state’s voter ID law was a large part of the reason that turnout was among the lowest in the country this year. Supporters of Representative Pete Gallego, who lost a House race in West Texas by just 2,400 votes, or 2 percent, blamed the ID law, which a federal judge said disenfranchised up to 600,000 voters statewide who did not have the proper documents.

(http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/19/us/voter-id-laws-midterm-elections.html?_r=0)

And, yes Gallego's district was one of the ones most impacted by Voter ID laws (aka filled with brown people).

Plexiwatt
Sep 6, 2002

by exmarx

Northjayhawk posted:

I do not believe motive is relevant if the actual impact and/or burden is negligible.

Relative to what? Upon whom? Are you for real?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Trabisnikof posted:

And for those still sticking their fingers in their ears about the impacts of voter ID:

And, yes Gallego's district was one of the ones most impacted by Voter ID laws (aka filled with brown people).

That article goes on to say: "Republicans in Texas disputed any claims of a partisan advantage, pointing to the landslide victory of Greg Abbott, a Republican, in the governor’s race. His margin was greater than the number of voters without IDs. Republicans say that in six elections since the ID law took effect, there has been no significant confusion."

And if you read the rest of the article, its conclusion is essentially, "for every piece of evidence in every state that voting was suppressed by Voter ID laws, there was other evidence that is wasn't."

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

blarzgh posted:

That article goes on to say: "Republicans in Texas disputed any claims of a partisan advantage, pointing to the landslide victory of Greg Abbott, a Republican, in the governor’s race. His margin was greater than the number of voters without IDs. Republicans say that in six elections since the ID law took effect, there has been no significant confusion."

And if you read the rest of the article, its conclusion is essentially, "for every piece of evidence in every state that voting was suppressed by Voter ID laws, there was other evidence that is wasn't."

Is it such a bad thing to lean towards not disenfranchising people, even if we don't know for sure that's happening, when we do know for sure that voter fraud is nonexistent?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Badger of Basra posted:

Is it such a bad thing to lean towards not disenfranchising people, even if we don't know for sure that's happening, when we do know for sure that voter fraud is nonexistent?

In a country where less than 50% of eligible voters turn out for even the most important of elections, I'd quite frankly be more interested in the debate if republicans and democrats would drop the bullshit and say, "we just [want/don't want] illegals to vote because they usually vote democrat."

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

blarzgh posted:

The fact Republicans won a landslide statewide doesn't mean people weren't disenfranchised meaningfully at the local level. It actually doesn't contradict the Democratic claim at all.

Also that article is more like "here's some statistics or specific examples of Voter ID laws impacting voters and here's a vague claim saying that's not true. Here's another example:

quote:

In North Carolina, Ms. Weiser noted, 200,000 voters cast ballots over seven days of early voting in 2010 — a window used especially by African-Americans — that was eliminated this year. Thom Tillis, a Republican, defeated Senator Kay Hagan by just 48,000 votes.

Similarly, Ms. Weiser pointed to Kansas, where Gov. Sam Brownback, a Republican, was re-elected by fewer than 33,000 votes, or 2.8 percent. At the same time, 22,000 would-be voters, whose registrations were suspended for lack of a document to prove their citizenship, did not get to cast a ballot. Kansas also has a strict voter ID law, which a federal government study this year said suppressed turnout by about 2 percent. It had a greater impact on young and black voters.

What's the counterpoint:

quote:

But Kansas’ secretary of state, Kris W. Kobach, who wrote the law requiring proof of citizenship to register and a photo ID to vote, dismissed the suggestion that it had played a role in suppressing turnout. “Voter turnout in the November 2014 election was 50 percent, exactly what it was in the November 2010 election, before we adopted our photo ID law — also 50 percent,” he said.

Mr. Kobach said, “The facts show that photo ID did not reduce turnout, and proof of citizenship did not stop Kansas from setting an all-time high in the number of registered voters.”

An actual study versus a false equivalency (just because the numbers are the same doesn't mean people weren't turned away and the actual turn out should have been higher).

blarzgh posted:

In a country where less than 50% of eligible voters turn out for even the most important of elections, I'd quite frankly be more interested in the debate if republicans and democrats would drop the bullshit and say, "we just [want/don't want] illegals to vote because they usually vote democrat."

Non-citizen immigrants, legal or not, already can't vote and voter ID doesn't impact that at all.

Voter ID impacts US Citizens who happen to look like "an illegal."

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

mdemone posted:

Hey, everyone's got ten bucks in their pocket, right?

And the free time to go to a place only open during hours they may be working!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

UberJew posted:

I believe that in the states where you are required to have a birth certificate as proof of citizenship to register to vote there's a method available for getting one for free. If there is a state where that isn't true, that'd be an easy law to take out with a 24th amendment challenge.

It's the year 2015 we require that you be subtle with your poll taxes

And of course everyone lives in the same state they were born in. Elderly people may not even have birth certificates.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1625041

http://www.unm.edu/~sanchezg/Publication%20FIles/Barreto_Nuno_Sanchez_PS_Voter%20ID.pdf

http://dspace.mit.edu/bitstream/handle/1721.1/96594/vtp_wp57.pdf?sequence=1

The research is quite clear that voter ID laws have a substantial and statistically significant impact on voter turn out. The debate, as you can see in the last link, is who gets deterred. The issue is one of whether the impact is mostly through class and education or if race has an independent impact. But either way, the results are very consistent that voter ID laws suppress traditionally democratic constituencies.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Badger of Basra posted:

I don't know if I've ever met anyone who was okay with disparate impact but not intent.
If you broaden the scope beyond race issues, you can find a straightforward example in blood donation. The questionnaire asks whether the prospective donor has engaged in male-to-male sexual contact, and an affirmative answer results in the donation being deferred.

Does the policy have a disparate impact on a recognizable minority group? Yes.

Does the policy carry a discriminatory intent? Debatable. It originated in a time of moral panic, but it has been reviewed and renewed by public-health experts (whose decisions are presumably more nuanced than "ewww gay"). The FDA has expressed a willingness to adopt an alternative screening strategy if doing so does not impose increased health risks upon blood recipients.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

hobbesmaster posted:

And of course everyone lives in the same state they were born in. Elderly people may not even have birth certificates.

Oh the process of getting them sucks and is awful, I'm just saying they exist because you are expected to be subtle with your poll taxes

I'm entirely opposed to voter id requirements at all, just as implemented they are not vulnerable to a 24th amendment claim right now

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

GulMadred posted:

If you broaden the scope beyond race issues, you can find a straightforward example in blood donation. The questionnaire asks whether the prospective donor has engaged in male-to-male sexual contact, and an affirmative answer results in the donation being deferred.

Does the policy carry a discriminatory intent? Debatable. It originated in a time of moral panic, but it has been reviewed and renewed by public-health experts (whose decisions are presumably more nuanced than "ewww gay"). The FDA has expressed a willingness to adopt an alternative screening strategy if doing so does not impose increased health risks upon blood recipients.

I think the more important context here is blood donation is a voluntary and private activity, while voting is a right and a fundamental part of our public civil society.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Alter Ego posted:

Is much less if you count them as 3/5th though. Wait, whaaaaaaat, they get a whole vote?! Thanks obama

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

mdemone posted:

Is that a standard that determines whether something is unequivocally racist though? Don't get me wrong, I'm in favor of impact tests for housing and voting, because they're fundamental rights, and there isn't a better means than impact tests to ensure they're being handled fairly. But take on the other hand the SAT and the whole rest of the college admissions process: it produces tangibly discriminatory results, but that isn't because the College Board secretly wears white hoods in the office or wants to keep blacks and Hispanics out of schools. Any sort of testing or essay or attempt to weigh the merits of various students competing for access is going to have a disparate impact on minorities because white and Asian students are more likely to have the time and resources for test prep, having their essays reviewed by friends and teachers, or even just go to wealthier districts or private schools with better student:teacher ratios. I'm not trying to argue that schools shouldn't go out of their way to give opportunities to minority students (although I would have when I was was younger), just that trying to construct any policy that doesn't have disparate impacts is really hard due to the way racial disparities are ingrained in society.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

blarzgh posted:

That article goes on to say: "Republicans in Texas disputed any claims of a partisan advantage, pointing to the landslide victory of Greg Abbott, a Republican, in the governor's race. His margin was greater than the number of voters without IDs. Republicans say that in six elections since the ID law took effect, there has been no significant confusion."

Their side wasn't going to win, so who cares if they get to vote?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Northjayhawk posted:

Poor people are less likely to have a driver's license. Poor people are apt to have a harder time finding their birth certificate, which is required to get a voter ID. Poor people, especially poor older people, are also apt to have been born outside hospitals, in places that didn't even hand out birth certificates. Anybody who's moved from one state to another is going to have to spend a lot of money to get a certified copy of their birth certificate, if their birth was ever formally entered into a register at all.

All of these disproportionately affect black people, because black people are disproportionately poor relative to their representation in the population.

e: Or listen to CheesyDog.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Northjayhawk posted:

I do not believe motive is relevant if the actual impact and/or burden is negligible.

I propose a law. All people who have ever posted using the name Northjayhawk on the something awful forums are henceforth disenfranchised in all elections taking place in the United States.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
They should all just get ccw permits since those are somehow legal forms of ID

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

GulMadred posted:

You've got this backwards: the guy is fine with discriminatory intent so long as there's no disparate impact:

Northjayhawk posted:

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

tsa posted:

That comment is over 30 years old now, after a while you kinda have to find something new if you actually want to make+prove a point, and not just preach to the choir. Voter ID laws are incredibly common around the 1st world.

quote:

In an interview this week with “The Daily Show” correspondent Aasif Mandvi, Yelton said that new voting restrictions imposed in North Carolina in the wake of the Supreme Court striking down a key portion of the Voting Rights Act were going to hurt democrats. “The law is going to kick the Democrats in the butt,” he said. He added that “if it hurts a bunch of lazy blacks that want the government to give them everything, so be it.” He also suggested that it was okay if the law hurts whites and “lazy” college students.

quote:

On Monday, Ohio election board Republican Doug Preisse admitted that the goal of voter ID laws are to stop African Americans from voting.

Preisse told the Columbus Dispatch in an email: “I guess I really actually feel we shouldn’t contort the voting process to accommodate the urban — read African-American — voter-turnout machine.” He also called, "Claims of unfairness by Ohio Democratic Chairman Chris Redfern and others 'Bullshit.' Quote me!,” according to the Ohio Dispatch report.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

GulMadred posted:

Does the policy carry a discriminatory intent? Debatable. It originated in a time of moral panic, but it has been reviewed and renewed by public-health experts (whose decisions are presumably more nuanced than "ewww gay").
The policy is explicitly and intentionally discriminatory. The thing that protected it is that it wasn't explicitly discriminatory against a group that the FDA wasn't allowed to be discriminatory against.

It's also not (currently anyway) because of a moral panic either, it's because the HIV infection rate among gay/bisexual men is something like 18%.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

tsa posted:

That comment is over 30 years old now, after a while you kinda have to find something new if you actually want to make+prove a point, and not just preach to the choir. Voter ID laws are incredibly common around the 1st world.

Good rebuttal. I'm glad to see that things stop being true because a couple decades passed.

When we have national IDs and states aren't actively restricting voting hours/machines to cause multiple-hour waits in areas heavily populated by the opposing party your comment might not be quite as absurd then.

But hey don't take my word for it:

Lemming posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuOT1bRYdK8

Voter ID isn't about disenfranchising people!

But don't worry. they're just moving on to poo poo like Crosscheck to disenfranchise people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
Still waiting on proof that Crosscheck actually disenfranchised people instead of conjecture.