Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
Awesome OP. I think Sotomayor's opinion in Missouri v. McNeely this year was a pretty noteworthy opinion for every criminal law office in the country. Holding: The fact that blood-alcohol levels dissipate after drinking ceases, is not a per se exigency under Schmerber justifying an officer to order a blood test without getting a warrant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AshB
Sep 16, 2007

Magres posted:

How the gently caress does getting in someone's face and screaming that they're a murderer and should burn in hell not constitute assault?

Like, I am not a lawyer, so please educate me. My layman's understanding of it is essentially that battery is physical violence and assault is creating the impression that someone is in physical danger, and I don't really get how "YOU DESERVE TO DIE AND BURN IN HELL" screaming in someone's face doesn't give reasonable grounds to believe you're in danger, especially considering the multiple times anti-choice folks have literally murdered pro-choice folks.

Common law assault is intentionally performing an act that would create an apprehension of immediate harmful or offensive contact, or alternatively, it's an attempted battery that didn't hit anyone. Obviously the law may vary by jurisdiction, but it's probably hard to prosecute because words alone aren't enough to create an apprehension. Words usually have to be accompanied by some conduct.

Even then, prosecuting this would be tough because the protesters' conduct probably wouldn't put someone in fear of "immediate" harmful contact. Threats of future harm like, "You're gonna suffer real hard for this when I get my friends together in a few days," wouldn't cut it. Assault would be putting up your fists and saying, "If you walk into that clinic, I'll break your legs." Or it would be attempting, but failing to physically grab someone to keep them from going inside the clinic.

Assault is a very specific kind of crime. Just because someone wouldn't be guilty of it doesn't mean they wouldn't be guilty of some other crime or a civil action like intentional infliction of emotional distress.