Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It looks like Mcconnel and Grasserly agreed to meet Obama at the WH. I did not think they would. Possible signal of a thaw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That's always been the most reasonable lab for everyone !! :argh:

They need to hire me I will arbitrate this impass

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Unzip and Attack posted:

Obama's black and the people who elect McConnell and his ilk love it when their white Senators put him in his place. One of the main reasons Obama's seen so much obstructionism is that the GOP base gets a racist vicarious thrill seeing Obama thwarted at every turn.

The nyt is the only msm organ that calls them on this

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Patty judge taking one for the team. That's a good Democrat.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

So isn't that an admission that Obama is not now a lame duck president.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I said when this first started obamas best move and the GOPs best result is old moderate. And here we are.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Condiv posted:

you guys are forgetting the nightmare scenario

trump wins president, nominates sarah palin as a new supreme court judge

They are Justices not judges. But I do think he would do that yes.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

I do love the position Obama has put McConnell in.

Either he:

A) Sticks to his guns, doesn't do anything, and likely loses some of those toss-up Senate seats in the process, or

B) Folds, gets annihilated by his base, Republican turnout is (probably) lower, but he takes away the weapon the Dems are going to have in multiple Senate contests.

Either way it's a loss. This is why you keep your cards close to your vest instead of announcing 2 hours after a Justice is found dead that under no circumstances will they consider a nomination.

I know right. That was ridiculously stupid. I guess he is using his angle to fund raise now but it seems short sighted.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Scalia believed in habeas corpus so that made him solidly left wing in modern context.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

cheese posted:

Would it be fair to say that most likely scenario now is a lame duck confirmation of Garland once Hillary wins? Surely Republicans won't get a more palpable candidate from Hillary than the already-kinda-old and super centrist white guy Garland?

That's like 8 months from now.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don't feel enough has been made about the circumstances of Scalias death.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rygar201 posted:

The strange circumstances kind of got lost in the political scuffle afterwards, and the general jubilation that the old bastard finally croaked

I mean he obviously did not die the way he was found and the coroner did a cause of death by phone conference so..

What the gently caress.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Kazak_Hstan posted:

The medical mystery of why a fat old man who smokes all day died in his sleep.

That's not what happened.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Scalias last words :smith:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

mdemone posted:

If it's ever revealed that he was loving those other guys in the hunting club, that's the sort of thing that would really turn my whole outlook on life right around.

It was Valentine's Day weekend.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He may have been the only one who agreed to do it, guys.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

gohmak posted:

Said liberal pundents since 2001

There probably will never be another republican president.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

You could have said the same after Clinton's high on the hog 90s
But we elected the most bland, white bread cardboard cut out of a person to represent the Democratic party and....

He won??

Also, no, totally different eras.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

A Winner is Jew posted:

Not really since the demographics weren't as absolutely stacked against republicans in presidential elections as they are now.

Right now republicans have to essentially sweep every single "swing" state to get to 270 while democrats only have to win one swing state that isn't New Hampshire to win, and there are several swing states that are getting more and more blue every year.

And their primary process appears to be broken.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He won but whatever it's not relevant to today. For the foreseeable future it is extremely unlikely the GOP wins the White House in its present form . This point I only made to support the idea that the GOP is loving itself nationally.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I still don't comprehend that Roberts ACA opinion.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Remember how the voters punished W for 911.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If Texas goes blue it's over.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

colonel_korn posted:

Apologies if this is a naive question, but could the Obama administration actually ask the (8-member) Supreme Court to rule on whether the constitution requires the Senate to give a hearing to their nominee? And if so, would the court be likely to rule in their favour?

No.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It's all speculation because we don't know who would have accepted a nomination. We'll have to wait for a leak or a biography to know for sure. But let's fight about it for pages and pages.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

Nice to know the GOP kowtows to the NRA. Voice of the people, you say???

It's funny in a bad way how consistently McConnell contradicts himself.

I guess he's saying Garland wouldn't get a hearing even if hrc appoints him.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

But traveling to a non regular place of work is work.

:iiam:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

BiohazrD posted:

Yeah can't wait to get those sweet coupons for $1 off X company's product while the class action lawyers get a cool $20 mil

Hahahah yah those loving lawyers screwing people over.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If it took a team of 5 plaintiff attorneys five years to get that 20,000,000 that is only 800,000 attorney/year which - considering the risk they get nothing - is reasonable.

Bear in mind they are fronting the cost of doing business for five years.

Most likely they had 4 losing cases to go with that one winner.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oh yeah. No doubt a functional gov would be better.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

WampaLord posted:

:psyduck:

You and I have very different definitions of the word "reasonable."

And "only."

That's not net income to the attorney.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rygar201 posted:

Yeah one would assume they just get their billable with the firm keeping the rest, right?

Class action plaintiff firms are usually small partnerships (3-10 partners and maybe another 1-5 associates on staff). The partners would split the end of year profit and the associates get a salary and usually a bonus. The partners front the cost of doing business when no fees are coming in (most of the time).

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Just to be clear the small fee paid by non numbers usually only funds CBA work and not political activity.

I am pretty sure.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oracle posted:

Corporations are people, my friend.

Persons. They are persons.

Of all threads lets get it right in this one.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

"Corporations are people, my friends" is a direct Romney quote.

Oh. Well he is dumb.

Rygar201 posted:

Is this a grammar issue or a legal terms issue? Is 'persons' defined differently than 'people'?

People have full rights including political rights. Persons can include people and other legal bodies which have limited rights such as the right to own property and sue.

Corporation just means fictional person. This is more clearly seen in things like cities and counties which are municipal corporations. The us code defines corporations as persons but not people.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

"Corporation are made up of people" is basically Citizens United so that is less dumb.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Large publicly held corps aren't the only form.

Many probably the vast majority of corps are privately held family businesses or businesses where the officers are the shareholders.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It's all people in the end and the take away is wealth I guess deserved privileged expression. Seems dumb but thats the sc for you.

Bear in mind this also was a huge boon for organized labor.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Fell Fire posted:

You joke, but I remember when reading the oral arguments for Safford Unified School District v. Redding (school strip search of a thirteen year old) that all the old men on the court were reminiscing about dumb locker room antics. It really seemed like the case was going to rule the searches as constitutional and I think Justice Ginsburg must have spoken to them privately.

This is one reason diversity is so important .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rygar201 posted:

That Muslim inmate from a term or two ago was pro se right up until the SCOTUS granted his petition. I think someone argued for him before the SCOTUS though.

I read his briefs there were at least 1l quality.