Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Are there any good layman's books on personhood arguments, high-profile cases, etc.? I'm not that interested in corporate personhood, but areas like abortion, equal rights, and perhaps animal rights as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
@AP BREAKING: Supreme Court justice halts birth control mandate in health care law for Catholic group.

Happy New Year.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

Has anyone read about Justice Stevens' upcoming book?
He had a good chunk excerpted on the Second Amendment in WaPo.

Scott Lemieux has written a bit about it as well.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
A database tracking the surreptitious changes to SCOTUS opinions is now available.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Magres posted:

How the gently caress does getting in someone's face and screaming that they're a murderer and should burn in hell not constitute assault?

Like, I am not a lawyer, so please educate me. My layman's understanding of it is essentially that battery is physical violence and assault is creating the impression that someone is in physical danger, and I don't really get how "YOU DESERVE TO DIE AND BURN IN HELL" screaming in someone's face doesn't give reasonable grounds to believe you're in danger, especially considering the multiple times anti-choice folks have literally murdered pro-choice folks.
If we can't even outlaw paparazzi, then it's probably gonna require some convincing.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Thomas's "dignity" dissent makes it sound like he agrees with Dredd Scott, jfc.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Zoran posted:

Fake, sadly.
Do you want to believe or not?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Warcabbit posted:

Multiple reports.
http://m.mysanantonio.com/news/us-world/article/Senior-Associate-Justice-Antonin-Scalia-found-6828930.php
I don't think they can stall - I think Obama gets one more judge. This is yuge.

How does it change it? 'In a 5-4 decision' becomes 'in a 4-4 tie - no result'.
It will affirm lower-court decisions AFAIK.

Means Affirmative Action will survive, dunno about what the lower-court ruling on the union payment was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Was Goodwin Liu supposed to have been Obama's pick for SCOTUS, or would that have been something farther down the line?