Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
According to the SCOTUS website, the briefs were filed last month. Does anyone know where I can find them? Or are they not released until after the decision is made?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
What circuit is Utah in? If it's the 9th, will they repeat the same reasoning as in Perry v. Schwarzenegger?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
That's three opposite of what happened - Sotomayor ruled that you need to go before a judge, nit use a fishy excuse.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I don't know - extending federal authority to a non-originalist 100 miles from an airport is something that would set Thomas (maybe Roberts?) off.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Doesn't "the border"also include a 100 mile radius around every international airport?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Megachurches in the Chicago suburbs have fences and security guards around their giant estates.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
An apolitical supreme court is a modern-day myth.

The courts in Dredd Scott, Plessy, Chinese exclusion, Lochner and Wickard were all openly political.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Prison slavery is restricted to corporations and possibly the extremely wealthy.

Prior to WWII half of the January 6th rioters could have had a black man cleaning their houses for no pay.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Quote is not edit

The X-man cometh fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 8, 2022

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Monaghan posted:

Easy, any one that wins because of a 5-4 decision with Gorsuch being one of the votes of the majority should be considered illegitimate. He was the stolen seat and if he's a deciding factor in the vote, it's illegitimate.

Even McGirt?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

rjmccall posted:

Looks like there are three cases left: Abitron Austria GmbH v. Hetronic Int'l, about international enforcement of trademarks, and the two student-debt relief cases, Biden v. Nebraska and DoE v. Brown.

Did they issue the 303 Creative (gay wedding website case) decision?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Mister Fister posted:

Also, freddie deboer probably articulates the other problem i have with (especially elite) schools like harvard better than most, they're literally not helping the kids affirmative action was purportedly meant to help. They're self interested institutions who care more about themselves more than anything else, yet i'm supposed to pretend that them admitting the kids of a Nigerian doctor is the same thing as helping a black kid who is directly descendent of slavery living in the projects of Baltimore, it's insulting to everyone's intelligence:

https://freddiedeboer.substack.com/p/why-the-gently caress-do-you-trust-harvard

I'd rather they just tax the ever living gently caress out of Harvard's gigantic endowment fund and give it to inner city schools rather than having elite institutions playing charades and pretending that they're fighting centuries of systemic racism.

Coney Barrett made an offhand comment during oral argument that it had been 20 years since Grutter, which had come 25 years after Bakke, and it didn't look like affirmative action has done much to meaningfully affect academic opportunities for POC over 45 years.

She almost got it, maybe next time.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

trevorreznik posted:

What did ACB "almost get"? I don't follow you here.

That America is built on a system of white supremacy and that we need major structural changes, not just affirmative action at highly ranked colleges like Harvard and UNC and Michigan and Berkeley

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Crows Turn Off posted:

I disagree. I think they would have made the same ruling. That was just icing on the cake for them.

The court loves quoting the opposition.

Gorsuch used a Norfolk Southern press release about how much business they do in Pennsylvania to establish personal jurisdiction in that case.

E: The Speaker of the House is always going to claim that Congress has more power than the president.

The X-man cometh fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 30, 2023

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Who would nominate these leftist judges? Obama and Clinton were committed to the lie of centrism.

Bush and Trump wanted to fill the judiciary with partisan extremists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
A perfect wet fart end to the Obama administration