Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Oh come on, accusing Thomas of accepting bribes to rule in favor of corporate interests is really beyond the pale of civilized discussion.

There's no corruption because we all know he would rule that way for free out of pure spite :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

mdemone posted:

Every day I grow more befuddled at Roberts having joined the majority in the PPACA decision, given that he's obviously a loving animal.

Insurance companies profit from the mandate. Roberts' rich buddies would be ruined by guaranteed issue and community pricing had he overturned the mandate.

He had no problem overturning the part that required the states to give federal money to the poor. I guess insurance companies would have benefited somewhat from upholding that too, but sometimes you have to look past money and stick to your convictions that the poor should be ruthlessly hosed over?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

Isn't that what the courts did, though? The majority opinion dealt with the actual case, whereas the dissent focused on the extraneous racial aspects.

But the equal protection issue was the actual case. :confused:

What was the actual case in your mind then if not that? Whether Missouri voters can amend their constitution or not?

The Warszawa posted:

Abigail Fisher singlehandedly won affirmative action a stay of execution by being the worst plaintiff possible.

The system works! :toot:

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Apr 23, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

UberJew posted:

next up on the docket let's continue to repeal everything the Civil Rights Movement accomplished.

John Roberts posted:

Ah so you admit that the Civil Rights Movement accomplished its goal. Civil rights achieved, therefore Civil Rights Act no longer necessary QED.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah, Stevens was a Ford appointee but was pretty liberal. Souter was HW Bush, and kind of middle-of-the-road.

George W got to appoint Roberts and Alito so there's two conservatives locked in for a while. Until Scalia, Thomas, or Kennedy bows out, we're basically going to see 5-4 to overturn as much of the civil rights movement as possible, and 5-4 to protect gays since Kennedy has noticed that gay people can also be white.

Kalman posted:

Or, to put it differently, if it had been McCain we'd be seeing a bunch of 7-2s.

Oh my God I am never voting 3rd party for President ever again.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Unless actuarial tables take into account the chances of someone discovering a phylactery and learning the arcane rituals to destroy it, they won't be much use in estimating Scalia's life expectancy.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

evilweasel posted:

Scalia is absolutely the best person to have replaced by a Democrat: Kennedy leans conservative, but he's not a sure conservative vote. Scalia is. You get much more milage out of replacing Scalia: you have a solid 6-3 majority for abortion rights and gay rights, for example.

I'd actually prefer to replace every other conservative justice by a liberal before Scalia. Let him be the lone reactionary on the bench. The impotent rage bursting forth from every word of the sweat-and-tear-soaked pages of his dissents, shrieking with inconsolable agony against 8-1 majority after 8-1 majority would be awesome and glorious to behold :allears:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

evilweasel posted:

That already happened in his Lawrence dissent, when the nationwide gay marriage legalization case comes up his opinion will just be a bitter "told you all they were lying in the prop 8 case and in windsor that they weren't making a decision on gay marriage yet".

I was kind of wondering if he'd have a stroke when all these state courts were quoting his dissent in Windsor and noting the acuity of his reasoning that regardless of what the majority claimed, the logic of the Windsor decision made gay marriage an inevitability in every state, taking his dissent as support to go ahead and overturn the marriage bans :laugh:

It was marvelous.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ron Jeremy posted:

Redux Taft. Put Bill Clinton on the court.

Then get an agreement that Clinton will recuse himself from cases where he's getting blowjobs from one side, if Thomas will do the same for cases when he's getting money.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 26, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Uuuuuggggghhhhhh
:cripes:

edit: okay okay I chuckled at 'perch'

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

SedanChair posted:

John Roberts will live for a hundred years.

Only if he survives the current possessed vessel of Robert Taney's malevolent white supremacist ghost. Its current host is, of course, Antonin Scalia and it's said that the pure hatred of Taney's spirit can sustain its rotten mortal body for a long time.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Green Crayons posted:

1) Assumption: remaining seated or participating are the only two options (standing but not participating is an option, unless if you have a broad understanding of "participating")

Oh sweet, I guess we can just have a Muslim prayer then, since you can face east and prostrate yourself, and as long as you think about titties instead of Allah while you're doing it, then it's not participation.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 6, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Green Crayons posted:

My point is that not everyone thinks the same way about what constitutes participation, including the fact that people do actually think merely standing is not indicative of participation. So, no, not everyone thinks like you.

Ah yes, the "tough titties" doctrine. Also famed for its defense of school prayer because any little heathens are free to stay seated and not go hold hands in a prayer circle with the rest of the class. Not that holding hands constitutes participation.

I admit that this analogy is vulnerable to the "Oh but school attendance is mandatory, but townhall meetings are voluntary so that's different" argument. And I concede this is a good point. Religious minorities don't have to participate in local government or have their views heard by the city council; that's strictly voluntary.

Seriously, what's your hard-on for pushing Christianity into the public sphere? Don't you get enough praying in church? Are there not enough hours in the day to get in some praying at home? Are ostentatious public prayers even compatible with your Savior's explicit commands?

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 13:32 on May 6, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Green Crayons posted:

You appear to not be reading what I'm typing. The "tough poo poo" doctrine is different from "not everyone thinks like you" because, amazingly, not everyone thinks like you -- and not everyone thinks simply standing up constitutes "participating" in a prayer.

The "tough poo poo" doctrine comes into play when someone does think that standing equals participation, they chose not to participate, and then they simply feel bad about having to not participate even though no negative government action comes of it. In that instance: tough poo poo. If negative government action occurs, they can file suit and claim religious discrimination.

This is your standard for a First Amendment Establishment of Religion? It's a two-prong test?
(a) Does forums poster Green Crayon think you're being a whiner about whether an action is participation
(b) Does actual negative government action occur

It seems like teacher-led school prayer during class easily passes this standard, as long as no one is officially punished for going out in the hall, and the infidels aren't requested to do any more than stand while the teacher talks to Jesus.

Green Crayons posted:

I'm atheist, so maybe recalibrate the tenor of your personal attacks?

Oh sorry, I assumed you had some kind of comprehensible, if self-serving, motive for wanting to establish a Christian religious rite as a de facto prerequisite to participate in democracy. Now it turns out your position isn't even that reasonable?

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 6, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Green Crayons posted:

This point is undermined by the fact that speakers from other than the majority faith have been previously invited to speak, and are presumably welcomed to return.

Yes, speakers of all different sects of Christianity were invited. Such diversity.

Don't take my word for it:

Elena Kagan posted:

if the Board preferred, it might have invited clergy of many faiths to serve as chaplains, as the majority notes that Congress does. When one month a clergy member refers to Jesus, and the next to Allah or Jehovah-as the majority hopefully though counterfactually suggests happened here, the government does not identify itself with one religion or align itself with that faith's citizens, and the effect of even sectarian prayer is transformed
as I have shown...in Greece only Christian clergy members speak, and then mostly in the voice of their own religion; no Allah or Jehovah ever is mentioned.

It's precious that you really think the people who want Jesus in every town meeting would ever allow a prayer to Mohammed. It'd be the 9-11 Mosque all over again, stonewalling and bitching about religious freedom and Muslims trying to force their heathen moon god on us all. Let alone a Pagan or a Satanic prayer.

This "oh they're inclusive, everyone who wants to pray will be accepted" is bunk and you know it. There is no way on earth that a town of bible thumpers is going to stand in respectful silence while a priest invokes Satan's favor and intones "we pray to you Dark Lord" on behalf of everyone present, the way that people of other faiths are expected to respect invocations to the baby Jesus.

Sure you could say "oh but you can't just assume Satanists will be rejected, wait until that happens", but of course it never will, because the speakers are chosen by invitation, and the town oh-so-coincidentally didn't even happen to invite any Jewish residents.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 6, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Green Crayons posted:

The point is that speakers from different faiths were invited (it just happened to be set off, in this case, by the fact that someone complained), and gave a pregame speech.

Yeah, you forgot part of it

TOWN OF GREECE v. GALLOWAY posted:

The inclusivity of the 2008 meetings, which contrasts starrkly with the exclusively single-denomination prayers every year before and after, is commendable. But the Court of Appeals reasonably decided not to give controlling weight to that inclusivity, for it arose only in response to the complaints that presaged this litigation, and it did not continue into the following years.

Three instances of non-Christian faiths in 4 years of meetings is better than nothing, but ignoring complaints until a lawsuit is filed, and only then inviting a couple of token speakers invited only after, never to be repeated doesn't categorically defeat the establishment of Christianity.

The atheist plaintiff is still excluded every single time. The Jewish plaintiff still has to sit through a Christian prayer before she can exercise her rights as a citizen. You could say "Oh but there aren't that many Jews, so perhaps they just couldn't find anyone willing to lead the prayer again" but isn't this the exact problem? A member of a super tiny religious minority is already somewhat separate from the community, and now that's going to be the reasoning for the majority religion to impose a sectarian prayer 99.999% of the time? The smaller and more isolated a minority you are, the more official exclusion you face?

Green Crayons posted:

In each case, the government is inviting non-government individuals to engage in actions that are considered speech in the public forum.

Except that this has literally nothing to do with the purpose of the meeting, which is for citizens to petition the town, not to be led in prayer before being allowed to exercise their rights as citizens. If the majority wants to get together and pray, they've got places for that. Heck, they can even request the use of the town hall when meetings aren't in session for all I care. Why should I have to choose between bowing my head to a God that's not my own or openly displaying my Otherness and risk alienating the officials that I'm petitioning?

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 6, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Daremyth posted:

(yes, bowing your head and standing are forms of participation)

He doesn't seem to agree that being asked to bow your head to a God is participation, so I'm not actually sure where his definition of participation lies if "do this affirmative action in unison with other believers while I pray" doesn't count. Kneeling? It's just another body position like standing. Prostration? Anything short of being directly asked to repeat the words of the prayer?

"Just drink the grape juice, you baby. I'm sure you drink juice all the time and think nothing of it, it's not magically compelled worship now that you're drinking it from a cup in a town meeting while a priest beseeches a being you don't even believe in".

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 6, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Shbobdb posted:

All you need to do is look at the majority opinion to see that it is bullshit. It clearly fails the Lemon Test but in the opinion they said they weren't going to apply that because ~*~history and tradition~*~. That's fine but isn't that a big reason to have courts? For when "how things have always been done" goes against the law of the land so things can get corrected?

You talk as if the goal of the Roberts court isn't to rehabilitate the historical and traditional virtues of chattel slavery, marital sexual bondage, and theocracy :911:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

KernelSlanders posted:

Is it ad hominem to point out that all three of the non-Christians on the court dissented from an opinion that said non-Christians shouldn't feel coerced into participating in or would be reasonable to be feel disparaged by the overtly Christian prayers?

There you go again. Liberals are always trying to divide us into groups and set us against each other.

You liberals plain don't like the good old days when people of all faiths just agreed!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

UberJew posted:

Much as merely implicit corruption is not actually corruption the merely implicit role of expanding surveillance in stifling dissent means it doesn't exist to stifle dissent.

:robertssay:

I feel like Roberts would walk on a restaurant check and claim that when he sat down and said he wanted a steak it was just an observation he was making, but since there was no explicit agreement to exchange money for it, he doesn't owe you anything for the steak you brought of your own free will in response to what you thought was an implicit agreement.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I thought Scalia is a strong believer in legislative ahistory...like for example imagining that Congress didn't actually want to pass the VRA, they just voted for it anyway or they would have been tarred as racists and booted out in the next election. Therefore Congress' true intent was not to pass it...

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

That wasn't in the final opinion.

Neither was his Jack Bauer torture fantasy, but I'm going to hold bullshit he says to justify his horrible views and inconsistent philosophy against him even if he doesn't actually include them all in an opinion.

VVVVV
How the legislature came up with the preclearance formula was actually central to the case.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 20, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I don't understand the relevancy of that. I know it's not statutory interpretation because the statute was clear.

Are you saying that Scalia's conjecture about the frame-of-mind of the legislators did not betray his willingness to seize on any rationale, no matter how flimsy or contradictory, just to get the outcome he wants? That was his reason for dismissing all of the evidence congress looked at showing that voter suppression is still a problem, if I'm remembering the oral arguments right.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

No gently caress you, it is a fundamental right, and it's about drat time the legal system stopped pretending that the bigots have any motive other than sheer spite and hatred in preventing people in love from getting married.

The bigots have no arguments. The decision could have just been "Suck it, homophobes" in 72-point font and it would have been no more vulnerable to counterarguments than this.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I think it's sweet :3:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If only that Pennsylvania judge had kept his flowery language in check, Scalia and Thomas might have joined in overturning the bans nationwide...but through his sloppiness the 9-0 ruling upholding marriage bans dealt a grievous blow to LBGT rights.

Oh, the hubris...
:negative:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

1. Jones' opinion is so freaking flowery that it's going to be more vulnerable to attack in this particular case

Do you really think this is an actual concern? That a superior court may overturn his ruling because his flowery opinion wasn't specific enough in its reasoning to address some heretofore untried but brilliant anti-marriage equality argument? Could you maybe explain exactly what this vulnerability is?

The bigots have no arguments. None, at all. Every single one they've offered (like "but protect the children!") has been exploded scientifically as false, yet they cling to their position anyway because it's not about rational arguments and never was; it was only ever about hatred and I'm glad everyone has finally stopped taking them seriously and the opinions coming out are pretty much "No, gently caress you, you're the same people who wouldn't let mixed-race marriages happen, go the gently caress away."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

blackmongoose posted:

the only way to make progress on this is to convince an old white dude that he's not changing things too much

America.txt

Doctor Butts posted:

My opinion is that the government hasn't nationalized 'everything' because it never felt it needed to, not that it would be unconstitutional to do so. It's pretty obvious they're going to defer to private industry for whatever, but whether or not a private industry serves a function or not shouldn't have a bearing on whether or not a law is constitutional or not.

I thought this was already settled. Didn't Teddy Roosevelt or someone openly threaten to nationalize some industry if the owners kept refusing to negotiate with strikers?

Fake edit: Apparently I'm thinking of Youngstown and it kiiiiiind of seems like the Court would have been cool with it if Congress had done it instead of Truman. But I am pretty much ignorant about this.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

You make some good points, but it's still a problem for me as a matter of legal practice, despite the lack of appeal and reduced odds of citation. For the lay audience (Hi Vitalsigns!), too many people are thinking that decisions like this one are what judicial opinions should be.

I don't think all judicial opinions should be written like this; where would you get a silly idea like that? But I don't mind this opinion being written this way because the bigots have no actual arguments so why not call them out on the regressive poo poo heads they are? Your fears that flowerly language will somehow lead to the ruling being overturned seem...overblown, and I don't see any reason why people don't have an "absolute right" to be treated equally under the law or why an opinion that says they do should be dangerous, but I'll leave that to you to explain if you wish.

Discendo Vox posted:

The bigots have arguments, you just don't agree with them. I think you're right, but this doesn't mean that those arguments don't have the opportunity to succeed again. To the extent that you want to take a victory lap, a judicial opinion is the wrong place to do it.

No. No they don't, their arguments are literally "gay people are gross and the government should help me treat them like dogshit". That's it, and giving it any more weight than that is part of why it takes so goddamned long to get equal rights for anyone in this country. Normally yes, the court opinion should make a clear case and be well-grounded in law for all the reasons you said, but when we're talking about grown adults throwing a big tantrum about icky gays I'd rather the Supreme Court opinion just be this.

quote:

Ten minutes into oral arguments over whether or not homosexuals should be allowed to marry one another, a visibly confounded Supreme Court stopped legal proceedings Tuesday and ruled that gay marriage was “perfectly fine” and that the court could “care less who marries whom.”

“Yeah, of course gay men and women can get married. Who gives a poo poo?” said Chief Justice John Roberts, who interrupted attorney Charles Cooper’s opening statement defending Proposition 8, which rescinded same-sex couples’ right to marry in California. “Why are we even seriously discussing this?”
“I have to interject, Mr. Cooper,” Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg said as the attorney argued that the government has legitimate reasons to discourage same-sex couples from getting married. “Do you honestly care this much about this issue? Because if you do, you’re a real goddamn idiot. Actually, you sound as dumb as dog poo poo, and you are wasting our time.”
Before adjourning the court, Roberts said there would be no official opinion on the case because it’s just “common goddamn sense,” and then addressed gay men and women directly.

“Get married, don’t get married, do whatever you want,” Roberts said. “It’s the opinion of this court that we don’t give two shits what you do.”

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 22, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

I just have to say I worry about the precedent this sets in general. The idea that following the entire letter of mandatory disclosure and labeling laws is no longer a sufficient defense against deceptive practices...
what the gently caress is the point of regulation if you don't know how much farther you have to go to actually be OK?

Uh, maybe by not trying to deceive anyone? I mean, come on, it's not like Coke was trying to act in good faith here and the court is arbitrarily slapping them down over size 14 vs size 14.5 font or something.

Remember this is the same company who defended labelling enriched sugar water as a health drink with "it's not deceptive because looking at the amount of sugar should tip anyone off that we're full of poo poo, so it can't be fraud if we're obviously lying our asses off"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

StarMagician posted:

Exactly, I don't get why this is so complicated. It doesn't matter what the FDA's probably constantly-changing regulations say. If you don't want to be sued under Lanham, stop loving lying to your customers.

But I want to legally lie to my customers, yet because of people like you and your support of vague arbitrary laws, a well-intentioned person like myself who only wants to innocently deceive people within the limits of the law could suddenly find that his lies are actually illegal lies through no fault of his own!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I finally got around to reading the Harris oral arguments, since everyone is talking about it:

quote:

JUSTICE KENNEDY: Suppose the young person thinks that the State is squandering his heritage on unnecessary and excessive payments or benefits and wages. Is that not a political belief of the highest order? And, you know, we talk about free riders, which is an epithetical phrase. Maybe the objecting employee would say that the union is a speech distorter; it is taking views that are not his and making them mandatory subject to bargaining and charging him for it.

Is Kennedy really making the argument "Well how can there be a free rider problem if the state employee wants his benefits slashed and his pay to be the shittiest possible because he'd rather Illinois have a balanced budget? Then the union is screwing him over by bargaining to get paid enough to feed his family and take them to the doctor instead of spending his pay on sweet tax cuts for the top 1% :chord:"

:psyduck:
Someone help me because I don't want that to be the case.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Amarkov posted:

e: Now that I've read the orals, though, your argument isn't actually what Kennedy's saying here. Some particular employee might heavily value pay over pension, to the extent that they'd prefer 1 more dollar in pay to a thousand more in pension money. (Perhaps they believe public pensions are inevitably doomed.) If a union trades $1 in pay for $100 in pensions, it's acted counter to her interests. So she can't be a free rider in this situation.

There was some other stuff though about how paying employees more means a bigger government, and it seemed like in addition to the pay-now-versus-pension-later argument, Kennedy was also saying that a political preference for a small government by itself could be an employee interest that is subverted when his union dues go toward bargaining better pay.

That's how it read to me, but I would love to be wrong, because that sounds dumb as hell and I hope a Supreme Court Justice wouldn't really suggest that.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Barlow posted:

I will remind people that the RFRA was a creation of Ted Kennedy and was a bi-partisan effort. It's what prevents states from creating laws that businesses should be closed on Sundays and driving Jewish businesses out of business when they can't open any days on the weekend, it was intended to address the injustice of Native Americans being arrested for peyote use. Upholding the RFRA is something leftists should be dedicated to.

Didn't the Supreme Court already decide that the RFRA can't be applied against the states anyway?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

They did not forbid woman to morning-after pills or IUDs, they only said that their employer, if he is a person or a small group of persons who believe that using said devices/pills is literally killing a human being, can not be forced to pay for it.
IUDs don't work by causing abortions. You might as well say they shouldn't have to offer benefits to interracial couples because every time a white woman gets a black penis in her, somewhere an unborn child drops down dead.

quote:

With those numbers and the fact that it's not something that you dont even need unless you have unprotected sex, I just don't get the uproar.

Of course, these companies have no problem covering Viagra, which is something nobody "needs". It's funny how it's only women who are required to justify to society why they should be allowed to have sex, isn't it?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Radish posted:

This highlights why science can never beat religion in our current situation. The government has to admit that there is a non-zero chance that these methods can result in a fertilized egg not implanting even though it is not the actual way they prevent pregnancy because it is based on facts that can be proven or dis-proven. However religious people do not have to prove anything since it is all nebulous "belief." They don't even have to prove that they are being consistent within that belief. It's totally lopsided.

Exactly. If Hobby Lobby were consistent in refusing to contribute to any increased risk of miscarriage, no matter how small, they'd give pregnant employees 9 months of paid leave so she wouldn't risk killing her precious baby by standing all day or getting in a car accident on the way to work. It's all about using abortion as a wedge to control woman's sexuality as much as possible; they don't give a poo poo about those sacred blastocyst souls.

It's absolutely ridiculous that they can say "We believe X causes abortions" and the government is afraid to challenge it out of fear that the Court will rule 5-4 that it's purely a matter of faith whether gay marriage or the Civil Rights Act are abortifacients.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

KernelSlanders posted:

HHS stipulated that IUDs sometimes work by preventing implantation, so for the purpose of this litigation they do work by causing abortions.

I know this. Prolonged standing or car accidents sometimes cause miscarriages as well, but Hobby Lobby doesn't give their employees 9 months of paid pregnancy leave because they don't actually care about abortions. If they did care, they would be endorsing the IUD over almost all other contraceptive methods because the most reliable method prevents the most abortions.

HHS was probably wise to condede this point though, since there's a good chance the conservatives might have ruled that facts are completely irrelevant to a religious belief that something causes abortions. It's all about using abortion as a wedge issue to impose whatever reactionary policies the GOP wants today. Have you noticed how "this is just like the government forcing you to fund abortions" has become the conservative justices' mantra to strike down any regulation they don't like no matter how irrelevant abortion is to the topic? The oral arguments in Harris jumped out at me:

Harris v Floride posted:

MR. MESSENGER: It's -- Your Honor, it's the compelled speech, and the fact that the individuals haveother First Amendment rights is not exculpatory. So it's the -- it's the compulsion to support the SEIU's positions in petitioning the State. That is the First Amendment violation. And the fact that --­
JUSTICE SCALIA: I suppose -- I suppose the fact that you're entitled to speak against abortion would not justify the government in requiring you to give money to Planned Parenthood?
MR. MESSENGER: Exactly, Your Honor.

What do union dues have to do with abortion? Nothing, except that those pushing conservative ideology have found it useful to exploit the abortion controversy by comparing anything and everything to ":supaburn:forcing Christians to murder God's sweet angels:supaburn:"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Bread Zeppelin posted:

Would paying employee wages that are used for IUDs and morning after pills make them just as complicit in abortion?

Yes. But the religious exemption to minimum wage laws and the Emancipation Proclamation need to wait for a year or two to give the birth control exemption precedent time to take root before it can be logically extended to repealing the Thirteenth Amendment.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Captain Mog posted:

I am in 100% agreement with this post. I think Hobby Lobby's reasoning is obviously intellectually barren, restrictive to women and devoid of all common sense, so the solution I have is to never shop there again. However, I recognize it is their right to not pay for such a contraceptive if they don't wish. Women seeking an employer who will cover contraceptive use are free to seek out employment elsewhere. .

Why have any labor laws at all then, since workers seeking employers who don't abuse them are free to seek out employment elsewhere?

In a free market, anyone who abuses his employees won't find workers right? So obviously people want to be worked to an early grave in unsafe conditions, because they're taking those jobs right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Captain Mog posted:

I was absolutely not making a lolbertarian free market argument. In not providing the Plan B contraceptive to its employees, Hobby Lobby is not abusing its employees. It is not forcing them into unsafe labor conditions. It is not withholding employee wages. It is not forcing them to work absurdly long hours. It is simply failing to provide a particular medication under the silly religious logic of its owners. I think this is dumb. Therefore, I won't shop or work there just as I refuse to shop or work at Chick-fil-A due to their owners' opinion of the LGBT community.

If you're not making a lolbertarian argument, then don't say "if you don't like it, find another job", because unemployment is a thing that exists and often people can't just go get another job. Why is it always the poor who has to suck it up anyway, why not the rich who has the means? If the Greens hate women's rights, they should move to Iran where their anti-sex opinions are the law of the land.

But anyway, Hobby Lobby is taking advantage of tax breaks that incentivize paying employees in medical insurance rather than in pure salary. In order to offer the same level of compensation in money so employees can buy their own insurance, it would cost Hobby Lobby more.

Hobby Lobby wants to get the tax breaks for paying women in insurance, but deny coverage for essential health care, forcing women to pay out-of-pocket from their depressed salary (unless HHS steps in with an accomodation).

Why should we subsidize Hobby Lobby in doing this? Why should their beliefs get to decide how women spend their compensation? If Hobby Lobby doesn't want to pay for birth control, they should forgo the tax breaks and pay their employees in money so their employees can buy their own health insurance rather than be required to adhere to the Hobby Lobby owners' bullshit religious views.

Health insurance compensation belongs to the worker, who earned it in exchange for their work. If their boss gets to decide how it is used, then should we let Hobby Lobby pay women in scrip that can only be redeemed for Bibles, baby formula, and bottles?