Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StarMagician
Jan 2, 2013

Query: Are you saying that one coon calling for the hanging of another coon is racist?

Check and mate D&D.

axeil posted:

Oh god I forgot about Bush v. Gore. What was the actual rationale they gave for that one beyond "the recount needs to stop because this is silly." Or if you're more cynical "the recount needs to stop because we have 5 Republican-appointed justices and stopping it allows a Republican to win the White House."

Seven of the justices in that case were Republican-appointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarMagician
Jan 2, 2013

Query: Are you saying that one coon calling for the hanging of another coon is racist?

Check and mate D&D.

Amarkov posted:

And they were the 7 justices that ruled the same way on the 5-4 case, because oh my god that loving case. Broad overview (because I'm too lazy to effortpost right now):

Every justice except Ginsburg and Stevens agreed that the Florida recounts were unconstitutional, because the lack of a clear statewide ballot standard violated the Equal Protection Clause. Breyer and Souter argued that, to remedy this, the case should be remanded to Florida with instructions to establish a uniform standard and apply it.

But an old provision of federal law says that, if a state has made a "final determination" of its Electoral College representatives by six days before the meeting, those electors are locked in. The remaining five justices ruled that the Supreme Court of Florida had ruled that the Florida Legislature had intended pre-recount tallies in elections to be a "final determination". Since there was no time to complete a recount between the Supreme Court's decision on December 12 and the six day deadline on December 12, the original result had to be locked in as the final one.

I know this is the nitpickiest argument ever, but this is the Supreme Court thread so gently caress it. Stevens was nominated by a Republican, and Breyer (who voted with the 7, but not with the 5) was appointed by a Democrat.

e: JeffersonLives beat me to it

StarMagician fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 4, 2013

StarMagician
Jan 2, 2013

Check and mate D&D.

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah, but those few are the ones at issue here. Hobby Lobby covers contraception methods that are scientifically acknowledged to operate only by preventing fertilization without any realistic potential of preventing implantation of a single ensouled cell.

I'm sure the answer is no, but do we have any concrete data on the rate of induced miscarriages due to prevention of implantation? Because I'm sure their insurance covers routine procedures that are much more risky to living fetuses, such as amniocentesis, which induces miscarriage roughly once in every 300-500 procedures.

StarMagician
Jan 2, 2013

Check and mate D&D.

twodot posted:

What's the point of this reasoning? If Hobby Lobby prevails, you are just giving them more ammunition to restrict their health insurance, Hobby Lobby has no obligation to know precisely the risks of any given treatment and adjust their health insurance accordingly (if their insurance company would even allow such a specialized plan).

Insurance covers (or does not cover) a wide variety of procedures for pregnant or near-pregnant women, all of which carry some degree of risk to an unborn fetus/fertilized egg/baby. If they're covering amniocentesis, but not birth control, but it turns out that that procedure has more of a chance of killing a fetus than birth control does, it isn't really about the risk to the child. What level of risk/reward do they find acceptable before they allow coverage?

If anything this is an argument against them, that it's not actually, as they claim, about saving babies. It also illustrates just how complicated this issue really is.

StarMagician
Jan 2, 2013

Check and mate D&D.

twodot posted:

You seem to be trying to make a substantial burden argument (the procedures that they want to not cover do not result in failing to implant a fertilized egg often enough to offer a substantial burden to them), but the frequency of miscarriage of amniocentesis (or of any other action) is unrelated to that argument.

Pretty much this. I think you understand my argument, but just to restate it, they use the danger to fetuses as an argument against covering birth control, but still cover a lot of other routine procedures that also present a danger, perhaps even a greater danger, to developing fetuses.

Their argument would ironically be much more logically consistent if they would just come right out and say that they oppose all forms of contraception outright for religious reasons, not because of any possible effects some versions might have on embryos that manage to slip through.

StarMagician
Jan 2, 2013

Check and mate D&D.

The Entire Universe posted:

Well, that's loving wonderful.

There's probably going to be a future case to distinguish output from operation and design, but at least this case could clearly separate the software from the hardware as a distinct device/tool/'machine' as long as it was specific enough to require significant detail to be considered a tool by which the general purpose computer is made to operate and remain operating within the parameters of the software. That way the bullshit abstraction some software patents use to basically patent all ways to achieve a certain output (I.e. like patenting the chemical process by which iron and carbon become steel instead of, say, the Bessemer process) are possibly invalidated while specific aspects within software (such as an encryption process or a compression algorithm) remain intact and can define a patent.

Do the Supremes have anywhere close to the degree of technical expertise they would need to write a decision that would accomplish this?

StarMagician
Jan 2, 2013

Check and mate D&D.

The Warszawa posted:

It effectively is an (extremely small scale) affirmative action program to attempt to increase opportunities available to women and minority lawyers. That it's done under a discretionary rule about class counsel efficacy is more likely an issue of pragmatism, especially if you look into how Baer actually administers it (which is that he requires the firm to file a memo showing their efforts to staff women and minority lawyers). And again, we return to Sotomayor's comment: "I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn’t lived that life." The counsel adequacy idea is similar: that someone from an outgroup is going to be able to more effectively relate to and advocate for clients from an outgroup. Judge Baer is like 80 years old, the amount of fucks he gives has likely dwindled to a very small number.

Why doesn't this apply equally to white men representing white men? The white Christian male experience is the American default, and it's impressed upon everyone whether they fit that description or not. Every lawyer is trained from the first day of civil procedure to the last day of the bar exam to adequately represent white men, and while we're on the topic of affirmative action, that line of law itself is being converted to the story of white interests and their central importance as well. There's simply no need to take the extra step in ensuring descriptive advocacy to protect white male interests because a) white male interests are protected at virtually every turn in society and b) the harm of doing so (contributing to systemic marginalization) outweighs the benefits.

Now, given the structure of most class action representation (and really most representation) I am somewhat skeptical about the actual substantive benefits to women/minority clients of women/minority lawyers staffed on the matter, but Judge Baer is absolutely right to be pushing the issue.

I mean, this is a lot of words discussing what is Samuel Alito's whiny, juvenile jab at the controversial idea that women and non-whites might actually get more than crumbs from the pie. gently caress Samuel Alito, there's a reason he's Todd from Breaking Bad in the OP.

I think I agree with this interpretation, but I'm still not clear on a couple of things

1. How are the attorneys for a class-action case chosen? If a mainly-minority group chose a bunch of old white men to represent it, who is this judge to tell them they were wrong for making that choice?
2. What does this look like in actual practice? Or, what would female/minority lawyers do that white men would not, and how would that serve to secure additional winnings for the plaintiffs?

StarMagician
Jan 2, 2013

Check and mate D&D.

The Entire Universe posted:

I wish the coastal population centers could be leveraged to expand liberal jurisprudence into the blood-red plains states. Make California the Western border of a circuit and have it be the mega-circuit that covers HI, CA, NV, CO, AZ, NM, TX, KS, and OK. Have OR and WA be the core of another that covers AK, WA, OR, WY, MT, ID, UT, ND, SD, and NE.

Then have MN, WI, MI, IA, MO as one, IL, IN, KY, OH, as another, NH, VT, ME, PA as one, leverage NE and NJ into an anchor to rule Appalachia and the Chesapeake states, then block the Southeastern states into their own little judicial hellhole where they can circulate dick-measuring opinions on who hates minorities the most.

E: this is a non-serious wish list that probably would ruin a lot of things that make circuit courts worthwhile.

Is there a structural reason that the 9th circuit is more liberal than the others? They're all nominated by the President, so it should be fairly random which circuits happen to have more conservative or more liberal justices at any given time. My first thought was that it might have something to do with Senatorial privilege.

StarMagician
Jan 2, 2013

Check and mate D&D.

VikingofRock posted:

So has anyone heard anything about Harris v. Quinn? It seems like the court should obviously rule in favor of unions, but what are the chances of the conservative wing pulling out some tortured justification to destroy public sector unions?

Wouldn't they just rule that you can't be required to pay for political activity, but you can be required to pay for bargaining activities (as is the case in non-Right to Work states)?

StarMagician
Jan 2, 2013

Check and mate D&D.

esquilax posted:

"Preventing people from getting punched in the face" is a compelling government interest so no one is exempt from the requirement that you not punch people in the face. Hobby Lobby is arguing that mandating birth control does not serve a compelling government interest for reasons x, y, and z, which means they should be exempt from that requirement.

If all they have to do is prove that the government has a less restrictive means available of serving this government interest (which is, in this case, ensuring that individuals have birth control available), wouldn't taxpayer-funded birth control for everyone fit the bill?

Not that they would actually do that, but the point is that they have the ability to do so, and if they did, it would accomplish their goal without forcing Hobby Lobby to do anything. Seems pretty open and shut to me.

StarMagician
Jan 2, 2013

Check and mate D&D.

Chokes McGee posted:

You are aware of the fact that Slippery Slope is a logical fallacy, yes?

Yes, but that's not a slippery slope. A slippery slope posits that one policy will lead to a completely unrelated policy.

Example: "if we allow gays to get married, next thing you know they'll be asking to join the military too!"

This doesn't apply when the logic used to justify one decision can also be used to justify another:

"If we allow gays to get married on the basis that anyone should be allowed to marry who they love, we will also have to allow cousin marriages for the same reason!"

Nor does it apply when another decision follows as a natural consequence of a previous one:

"If we allow gays to get married, next thing you know they'll be adopting children together!"

StarMagician
Jan 2, 2013

Check and mate D&D.

Solkanar512 posted:

Congress also passed a law saying that birth control will be included in a health plan offered by a company if they wish to avoid various penalties.

There's no reason to be so drat obtuse, if it were really that clear cut do you think SCOTUS would have granted cert?

Didn't the lower court rule the other way? If so, they'd want to grant cert if it were crystal clear that the circuit court ruled in error.

StarMagician
Jan 2, 2013

Check and mate D&D.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Not in so far as it continues a trend to gut it. Not that affirmative action could have won anyway with Kagan recusing herself.

Well it does indirectly legitimize parallel construction (police can pull you over as long as they claim to have an "anonymous tip"), so there's that.

Wouldn't it be pretty easy to prove in court that an anonymous tip had been received? "The police dispatcher received a call at 1:35 AM..."

I once called the police when I noticed a driver who was very obviously drunk, hoping he would be pulled over. I had no idea that didn't qualify as probable cause.

StarMagician
Jan 2, 2013

Check and mate D&D.

Allaniis posted:

The Supreme Court slapped the Fed. Cir in the face again and returned more power to district courts with regard to attorney fees in patent litigation suits. See Octane Fitness v. Icon Health & Fitness and Highmark v. Allcare Health Management Systems.

How fast will Fed. Cir ignore it or try to route around it?

Can someone put together an effortpost explaining how these sorts of cases make it to the Supreme Court? I'm assuming that there's a legal organization somewhere that wanted more power for the District Courts, and it's one that has no opinion on and no interest in the merits of various health food companies. I would also be surprised if Octane Fitness were looking to spend years and hundreds of thousands of dollars trying to go all the way to the Supreme Court with whatever dispute it was.

So my question is, how did these groups get married up? Whose job is it to find these nobody companies in esoteric disputes and shepherd them to the highest court in the land, and why do they agree to it?

StarMagician
Jan 2, 2013

Check and mate D&D.

Dave47 posted:

If the FDA is supposed to be a one-stop-shop for juice labeling regulations then why should consumer expectations of flavor dominate the process? Why not also consider consumer expectations of nutrient benefits, or of ingredients, or sugar content, or any other factor?

Look:

The "HELP NOURISH YOUR BRAIN" claim is above the actual name of the juice, in a larger font. Based on Coke's own bottle, and without engaging a single Pom argument, it looks like consumers buy juice for the health benefits! And if you're buying juice to be healthy, you probably care more about "superfood" blueberries and pomegranates than you do apples.

Coke has been trying to deceive consumers, and their only defense of the practice is: "Misleading labels about ingredients do not anger the flavor police." Why is anyone surprised or sad that they lost?

Exactly, I don't get why this is so complicated. It doesn't matter what the FDA's probably constantly-changing regulations say. If you don't want to be sued under Lanham, stop loving lying to your customers.

Seriously. I'm one of the few people here who isn't to the left of Joseph Stalin, and yet half of you have found a way to poo poo all over one of the few consumer protection laws I actually support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarMagician
Jan 2, 2013

Check and mate D&D.

DeusExMachinima posted:

1A protects the right to be an rear end in a top hat. Don't like it? Don't go in public. Oh you're out in public? I'm sure you've got a lot of cool reasons why you don't have to hear it. So put on earplugs(or don't, whatevs). Prior restraint is prior restraint, smd.

fake e: There was a reason this case was 9-0. I believe in abortion on demand, you still suck

Close, but there's a better solution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq94liFIBRY