Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

here's to hoping RBG's heart holds out 4-8 more years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I like Ellison but Dean's strategy worked pretty loving well 10 years ago, so who gives a poo poo what lobbying he's done since then if he can win elections?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

CellBlock posted:

He's floated his short list, here's some of the people on it:

William Pryor, 11th Circuit - Called Roe v. Wade the "worst abomination in the history of constitutional law"
Diane Sykes, 7th Circuit - Voted with the challengers of the contraceptive mandate of the ACA
Raymond Kethledge, 6th Circuit, former clerk for Anthony Kennedy - Wrote an opinion that government of cell-site data isn't a search under the 4th Amendment
Joan Larsen, Michigan Supreme Court, former clerk for Antonin Scalia
Steve Colloton, 8th Circuit, former clerk for William Rehnquist
Neil Gorsuch, 10th Circuit
Amul Thapar, Eastern District of Kentucky
Sen. Mike Lee, never served as a judge
Don Willett, Texas Supreme Court
David Stras, Minnesota Supreme Court, clerked for Clarence Thomas
Thomas Hardiman, 3rd Circuit - wrote a dissent in a decision that upheld a New Jersey law prohibiting handgun ownership without a permit
Raymond Gruender, 8th Circuit - wrote that denial of contraceptive coverage is not sex discrimination
Margaret Ryan, Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces
Sen. Ted Cruz, clerked for William Rehnquist

Of course, since whoever talks to Trump last wins, he's just as likely to appoint his sister or whoever as he is any of these people.

Which one has the best hair? That's what Trump cares about

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

So who's the least sane Federal judge Trump could nominate? That seems like it'd be a safe bet

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

collegerepublicans.jpg

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Wouldn't the attorney's moral obligation be to make a bad argument and lose, rather than quit and let someone who might win take the case? With bonus plausible deniability.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Roberts is a conservative but I don't think he gives a gently caress what any current Republican thinks of him

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

GlyphGryph posted:

Also, I read conservative sites because I'm dumb, and a number of folks are talking excitedly about reversing Roe vs Wade now that the Republicans have stacked the court.

Stacked the court by returning it to the same partisan condition it was in a year ago?

they didn't overturn Roe when Scalia was there either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

If you speed too much (in my state, it's >15 over) or in an area like a school zone, it gets upgraded to Reckless Endangerment or something like that. But that's not really the same offense as "speeding" anymore.