Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Potato Salad posted:

What the absolute gently caress?

... covid derangement? Chemo brain?

The knowledge that he can do and say whatever he wants and will never ever face consequences for it.

He's been getting more blatant now that it's 6-3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
somebody please write a snarky breakdown of the current justices i beg of you

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

CmdrRiker posted:

Gotchu.

They all suck and I hate them. They are tearing this country apart and they don't care because they'll all be dead before climate change kills 90% of us.

CmdrRiker hates them goddammit.

You're welcome.

Thank you and god bless

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Pook Good Mook posted:

Gorsuch is the only "originalist" ever who actually believes the nonsense.

You think Thomas doesn't?

I'd say that Gorsuch is a True Believer libertarian, but Thomas is a True Believer originalist.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I don't disagree that originalism is stupid as hell, but I do believe that Thomas earnestly believes in his flavor of originalism, while I believe the others understand it's a fig leaf for being a supervillian.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

eSports Chaebol posted:

qv all the early gun regulations post 2nd Amendment that just don’t count as examples of early gun regulations because

Well if you take the Dobbs approach and go back to pre-constitution English common law, you find.....oops they also had gun regulations and those don't count either because

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Ogmius815 posted:

When you meet an “originalist” ask him (it’s almost definitely “him”) if Brown v. Board of Education was correctly decided. He’ll say yes (if he says no you can just laugh and point and walk away). Then ask how that decision can be squared with the “original public meaning” of the fourteenth amendment given that the very congress that voted for that amendment was itself in charge of a segregated school system in the District of Columbia.

…and that’s pretty much it for originalism.

Great point, but the mistake here is thinking that that originalists are consistent, or that they'll be intelligent enough to get tripped up by a clear own on their ideals.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Murgos posted:

It’s not a result that the court can grant though. The constitution gives the executive branch the power to see that the nations laws are upheld.

The FDA is a natural extension of that authority.

The courts can not countermand another branch of government’s constitutional authority because those are both equal levels of authority, that’s separation of powers.

The court would have to say congress doesn’t have the power to pass the laws that say that food and drugs are regulated. This would be the equivalent of saying that congress can not regulate interstate trade which is a power expressly granted to it in the constitution.

I don’t think any of this is plausible.

Literally they just ruled that a constitutional right of privacy doesn't exist because of 16th century dudes existing, and that undercuts like half the bill of rights.

The mask is off plausible doesn't really matter.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Sundae posted:

That's why this is so insane to me. Congress explicitly established the FDA.

Also the Voting Rights Act and welp.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Alito is the least surprising dissent on there, even beyond Thomas.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

OddObserver posted:

No, the math just says that at least one justice handles more than one Circuit; that each justice covers at least one is a matter of not being silly with assignments.

Seems like we should increase the court to 13, so as to be sure we're not overworking our poor justices.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Vahakyla posted:

IANAL but Roberts' argument isn't that much of a pants-on-head. He's right about the fact that "why?". He doesn't answer to the congress, so being summoned by them is weird.

Any citizen can be summoned by congress I assume. He's just making it clear he's above that.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

If a single election is able to do this much then maybe it’s worth dispensing the indefensible judicial system.

It does sound like "vote!" is a sound strategy though, possibly even "vote blue no matter who"

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Bel Shazar posted:

Necessary, but not sufficient

Never said it was sufficient.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

VitalSigns posted:

We did! You want me to vote now? For what?

Apparently so the Dems don't lose a state SC and get gerrymandered out of existence

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Oh we debating which racially loaded term to call a black man in this thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
The court declined to see a case where a BLM organizer was held responsible for the injuries on a police officer because they organized a protest.

How does this remotely make sense?