Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
This is the song that pops into my head when this sorts of conversations pop up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLg5POTvVzs

Just don't read the comments (or do if you need more evidence people are horrible).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Modus ponens? More like SCOTUS moanin

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
I mean Trump isn't just a conservative whose views RBG disagrees with, he is running on promises of massively problematic poo poo constitutionally. We all know that those promises won't come true, but I think it is reasonable for a justice to have opinions about some of that stuff.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
From a lower court ruling but not sure where else to post this: https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/article/judge-throws-out-satanic-temples-lawsuit-against-insane-abortion-restrictions

The Satanic Temple brings a suit against Missouri saying the 72-hour waiting period on abortion violates our religious beliefs. The judge then dismisses the case after a year of court process because she is no longer pregnant, so she has no standing. Is this as utterly absurd as it sounds on its face (and the legal scholar at the end of the article also asserts)?

Good article from the quoted scholar: https://verdict.justia.com/2016/08/04/satanic-temple-jehovahs-witnesses-common-champions-government-inculcation-belief

Chin Strap fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 5, 2016

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

corn in the bible posted:

it's retarded and the fact that it's retarded can be seen by simply realizing that roe v wade took years and years, and she actually gave birth before even the district level case got decided

I like the argument in the second article that this isn't even about being pregnant or abortion, it is a RFRA case plain and simple. The pregnancy only ever mattered as it was what led to the forced violation of sincerely held religious beliefs in the first place.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

twodot posted:

The standing issue is dumb, since it implies the only way to overturn a 72 hour waiting period is to hold an entire trial in 72 hours, but the notion that when life begins is a theological question is also dumb. You aren't allowed to kill two year olds, so we all agree there's some point when life begins.

That isn't the question at hand. The question at hand is the 72 hour waiting period and literature reading requirement violated sincerely held religious beliefs looking through the lens of Hobby Lobby.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

EwokEntourage posted:

Booting it on standing should get overturned on precedent from roe v wade

Man that seems like basic jurisprudence being slacked on then.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

twodot posted:

I mean from your article:
"There is no persuasive secular justification for the state’s declaration of when life begins; that has been and always will be a theological tenet. Akin to the question of what happens after death."
The state's got to be able declare life begins at some point, the fact that the author currently disagrees with the state when that is doesn't make it a theological tenet.
edit:
I also think the argument that something violates your religious beliefs gets a little bit weird if you're also arguing the thing in question isn't even a religious belief, but I don't need to go that far to say this author said a dumb thing.

quote:

The Missouri Tenets and Missouri Lectionary are irrelevant to adherents to the Satanic Tenets in making a decision to get an abortion because they believe Human Tissue can be removed from their bodies on demand and, in good conscience, without regard to the current or future condition of the Human Tissue. Neither the Missouri Tenets nor the Missouri Lectionary is medically necessary for an adherent to the Satanic Tenets or any other woman to make an informed decision to get an abortion.

Whenever the state claims life is, that is not the question at hand. It isn't vitally necessary for any woman to be told the states view on this in order to successfully carry out an abortion. There is no compelling reason for the state to burden TST's sincerely held religious belief with this. This is regardless of whether the state claims life begins at insenmination, 22 weeks, or birth, it doesn't matter as long as the state is still letting you get an abortion.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

twodot posted:

I guess, since you agree this is wholly irrelevant to the legal argument being made, you're agreeing the author said a dumb thing?

Yeah that's a dumb sentence I agree.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Platystemon is being dumb, but I've always been curious. What *is* the case history for defining the line between guns being allowable but missiles not? What is the criteria used?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

dwarf74 posted:

Word is, that the incredible Opening Arguments Podcast is going to devote their Friday show to discussing Gorsuch's appointment.

We'll see if it'll be Justice Gorsuch by then or not.

If you're not listening yet, this is a really fantastic and engaging legal podcast that switches between discussing the law in general, and the legal side of current political events. (For example, Stein's petitions for recounts, the Clinton Email stuff back when it was happening, and most recently the travel ban.)

I just got into it for the travel ban episode and I am hooked and going back to the earlier ones now. Really great show. I first heard about the lawyer Andrew Torrez who hosts the show because he is also the lawyer for the God Awful Movies podcast, and was on as a guest for one their episodes.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Learned about the Tam case from the episode of Opening Arguments that he was on: http://openargs.com/oa33-interview-slants/

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

My criticism has nothing to do with the law.

You’re a huge douche if you call your band “The Slants” and take your case all the way to SCOTUS, knowing that a win for you fucks over people whose epithet is being used in a decidedly non‐ironic manner.

Yeah and NWA were huge douches too.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

FAUXTON posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake, Neil.

Wouldn't this logic apply to the VRA too?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
~Nazis aren't a protected class~

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Dead Reckoning posted:

The problem I have here is that people are trying to thread this needle where a gay couple can force a conservative Christian baker to design a wedding cake for their marriage, but a conservative Christian can't force a Muslim LGBTQ baker to design a cake for their "Christ is Life, Sin is Death" party for no reason other than their moral intuition that conservative Christians are assholes.

A Muslim lgbtq Baker should be forced to bake a cake for that party if they'd make the exact same cake for another party.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Piell posted:

Nah, the baker said he would sell them premade off the shelf cakes.

Specifically birthday cakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

"Christmas cookies" is not a content-neutral description. The whole point of a Christmas cookie is to indicate the beliefs of the people they're made for (Christians).

Christmas isn't necessarily a Christian holiday in America. There are definitely ways of selling non-Christian Christmas cookies (snowflakes, pine trees, wrapped presents, basically anything not featuring baby Jesus). If the Muslim baker was willing to sell those to non-Christians but not Christians then yes that is discrimination.

Marriage isn't necessarily a religious ceremony in America. Same idea.