Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

FRINGE posted:

Looks like the 10th should be dissolved into the 5th.

gently caress you t:mad:

Don't lump us in with Texas living in Utah is punishment enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Ron Jeremy posted:

Since this is about a contraband, let's say I get busted by a cop with a bag of weed. The cop writes me a ticket and tells me to show up tomorrow at court with my bag of weed.

I show up to court minus the bag of weed. Is that also destruction of evidence?

I'm convinced by the other posters that it's clear the guy did destroy evidence based on the testimony of the other guys on the boat. What kills me here is that it was completely avoidable if the official who boarded the boat had simply taken the fish. Hell taken a picture of the fish. He's now facing an additional charge because the official didn't do the simplest thing in my mind, which is to seize the contraband.

If the other crew had kept their mouth shut, what then? You get to shore and there are no offending fish. Does the guy get off on the original charge?

So maybe that's what bugs me. If the state is going to charge someone, they should do the work including taking control of the evidence.
It's more comparable to getting popped with a bag of weed, and the cop tells you come over to his to his car where he can get an evidence testing kit for the weed. On the way to his car you eat the contents of the bag and replace it with parsley. The patrol boat is a tiny thing and this was a larger vessel. The agent simply didn't have enough room on his boat for all the contraband fish. The guy is facing an additional charge because he destroyed evidence. When you have broken the law the solution is not to break more laws to try and cover up the one you already broke.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Ron Jeremy posted:

Isn't the simplest solution for the cop in your example to take possession of the suspected weed and take it himself over to his car? With the fish too, it wasn't a ton of tuna, it was..70? 20" fish?
It doesn't matter what the "simplest solution" is. What happened is they told him to bring the fish back to port, he destroyed them. Maybe the simplest solution was to impound his loving boat and make him swim but they didn't do that either. The guy made a conscious decision to destroy evidence against him, period.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Crows Turn Off posted:

Yeah, but I'm not talking about entry, just the outside property. How is it acceptable to have a buffer zone around the SCOTUS building?
Because some crazy person might try and blow it up! :downs:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Radish posted:

I wonder how long it will be until we stop getting these weekly reminders that Scalia being dead is a good thing.
Heat death of the universe? I mean, you could be having a really bad day in 20 years and still think to yourself, "Well, at least Scalia's dead."

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

vyelkin posted:

I won't be surprised if McConnell is afraid of losing the Senate under Candidate Trump and has decided to let Obama appoint a moderate conservative justice rather than let Clinton appoint some 30 year old black Muslim lesbian clone of RBG.
But I want a black Muslim lesbian clone of RBG :cry:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

axeil posted:

So what would've happened had this been heard when the Court still had 9 members? What was the case actually about?
Compelling public-sector employees to contribute union dues as they benefit directly from the union's bargaining whether they want to belong or not. Basically making GBS threads on the whole "right to work" stuff we've been seeing that's destroying unions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Leave it as ASSoL so it can easily be pronounced as "rear end in a top hat"