Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Warszawa posted:

Brown v. Plata, 131 S. Ct. 1910 (2011) (dissent). Dissenting from the judgment that the Eighth Amendment required that the courts intervene to mandate a population limit in California prisons (which were and are insanely overcrowded), Scalia wrote:

I though you were joking, so I had to look it up and welp. There it is on page 63.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/10pdf/09-1233.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

GhostBoy posted:

And now the 5th circuit joins the marriage fight, which Texas of all places having their gay marriage ban struck down by a judge. I've not had time to read the whole ruling yet, but it is here http://www.scribd.com/doc/209429696/Texas-Gay-Marriage-Ruling. From the brief, it sounds like he went the same route as Oklahoma and the rest of the recent rulings (No rational relation to a government interest etc.). It is also on stay pending appeal, which the AG has said he would do.

What's with all these auto-stayed rulings? Is to prevent couples from ending up in legal limbo if the ruling is struck down en route to a higher court? Is it some kind of legal tradition or decorum for controversial rulings? I'm genuinely curious.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
It seems a little insensitive to compare the exploitation of tech workers living in company towns with the exploitation of warehouse workers wasting their lives in security lines.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

If I understand properly, and I may not, it's OK to lock some random programmers in a room, point them at https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/, and tell them to create Google Java. It's not OK for them to go to http://openjdk.java.net and look at the source code or poach Sun engineers to speed things up. It might also be necessary to tell the team to make sure that they also list all the classes and methods in the Java files in reverse-alphabetical order or something. Idk though, am I close?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Stickman posted:

Nope, my understanding is that this ruling specifically makes the https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/, off limits for clean room design, because it embodies the Structure, Sequence, and Organization of the API, which is protected under copyright law. That's why Kalman and Mr. Nice! are arguing that they should instead scrape the specification from existing Java code (though it's not clear to me how this allows you to "independently develop" the SSO of the Java APIs, since they also embody the SSO of the API, and the end result will be exactly the same as the SSO in the public specification). This is how reimplementation has been done up to this point (see, for example, url=https://www.winehq.org/docs/winedev-guide/api-docs]Wine's clean room guidelines[/url]), but because the decision makes the SSO itself subject to copyright (rather the expression of the SSO), it seems to mean that publicly available expressions of the SSO should also be off limits.

Also, my understanding is that clean rooms are not strictly necessary to avoid copyright violation, they're just helpful in arguing the case. If the code is sufficiently different, then no infringement occurred, even if the code is written by the same person! There was some case president for this in software reverse engineering (clean room implementation not strictly followed, but code was non-infringing), but I seem to have lost my tab - maybe someone else knows the case?

Edit: I'm not saying Google should be in the clear here - they did copy the 7-line rangecheck function, as well as (portions?) of the headers. The header "copying" is where the SSO copyright comes in, as the functional portion of that code is necessarily identical, and would be identical if they had gone through a "translate to English and back again" or language scraping song and dance. And both of those are simply reexpression of the SSO, so it's not clear to me how they would avoid infringement.

Hmm. I thought I understood but I guess I don't. I thought "the API" was just what was defined in the actual source code and that Mr. Nice! said the javadoc URL was a "specification" that the clean room team could work against. I don't care either way, I just think the discussion is interesting. I admit I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is Hillary actually going to get her SC justice when she wins or will the GOP keep the court at 4-4 forever?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Obama won't recess. He believes in the spirit of government too much.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
McConnel was gloating about the swift repeal of Obamacare loving yesterday and Walker was right behind him floating the end of the filibuster, so no, there is absolutely zero chance of anything remotely "positive" like a Garland within a million miles of current reality. The GOP straight up won, they are the dog that caught the car, and they are going to go absolutely hog wild on every righter-than-right, insane bill that you can think of. The only hope that I can think of is that President Trump keeps tweeting idiotic poo poo, his opinion tanks into the teens, and the GOP has to oppose him because the midterm numbers look so bad for them. Even that's an incredible stretch, but it's the best I can do less than 48 hours removed...

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Evil Fluffy posted:

It will be fair and free for (most) white people on some means.

Everyone else? Please look to NC and WI for a taste of what's to come for more of the country.

I seriously think you're underestimating the shape of things to come.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hey, at least Arizona's (and, by proxy, California's) non-partisan redistricting scheme cleared the Supreme Court.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there a general "legal system" thread anywhere? I want to ask some questions about why all of these officer shootings keep ending in acquittals but not sure where to post. I'm particularly looking for something deeper than "lol racism" ...

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Free expression is a thing in Germany despite their anti-Nazi laws.

So while it may very well not be doable under existing first amendment doctrine, and that may well be the right way to keep things, it's probably not correct to conclude that limiting the speech of nazis necessarily imperils everyone else's speech.

I think the better way to address this through the legal system is criminally. These events always feature armed people looking for a fight. Just apply judicious discretion in prosecution decisions. If you come to town wielding torches, clubs and ARs you're probably going to violate some laws. So instead of sitting back and doing nothing as in Charlottesville, arrest and prosecute nazis for everything possible.

Government discretion in charging decisions is given considerable deference.

It wouldn't even be a bad use of discretion enabled by an overly deferential jurisprudence. These people bring violence with them, it's their express goal, they are an actual menace to public safety. Threats like that are why we give discretion to law enforcement.

Doesn't this assume the local cops aren't fascist-leaning shitheads?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dead Reckoning posted:

Are you asking the subway person to design an aesthetically unique sandwich just for you? Are you asking them to make a #3, but write "GOD LOVES/HATES FAGS" on it with mustard? Again, the bakery was willing to sell baked goods to the gay couple, so the "will not make a sandwich for a gay person" parallel is inappropriate. IMO, if conduct is sufficiently expressive that the government would not be allowed to censor it, then the government also should not be able to compel it. It's the difference between, "I want a #3 on wheat and a bag of chips" and "I want you to design and make a rainbow sub celebrating gay pride" or "write 'Christ is Lord above all others' in the mustard."

Do wedding cakes even have writing on them most of the time? I was just looking at Google images and it seems like there isn’t usually text from what I can tell.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Trump isn’t going to have a single goddamn thing to do with this, except to inject as much chaos and animosity into the process as possible. He’s going to nominate whatever ghoul Stephen Miller sources from the fevered hive mind of the D-list Republican think tanks.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xequecal posted:

Trump already has a Supreme Court list, he released it during his campaign as an actual campaign promise. He's simply going to nominate the youngest person on that list.

FronzelNeekburm posted:

He even has it on the White House site for reference.

Is anyone who drafted this list still even affiliated with the White House?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr. Nice! posted:

Source your quotes.

Piell posted:

gently caress off with your rape apologism and victim blaming

These are the only two appropriate responses to that poo poo.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Main Paineframe posted:

Ultimately, this is either going to be a turning point for the Democratic Party or the end of the Democratic Party. The conservative majority we're looking at now would ban abortion, declare the Civil Rights Act unconstitutional, and bring business regulations and labor law back to the Lochner era.

And they’re not even pretending otherwise anymore.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

ilkhan posted:

Ignoring someone is equivalent to murdering someone? If I was on the Senate I would have voted for him, but the prior person in the office wasn't *murdered*.

You are weirdly fascinated with murder decorum.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tab8715 posted:

So,

Add more judges or we need a constitutional convention.

The former being somewhat probable and latter extremely unlikely.

The whole goddamn constitution is basically just decorum.txt, it’s not immune to sufficient anger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
The court is illegitimate.