Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

joeburz posted:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/us-supreme-court-to-hear-landmark-hobby-lobby-case-233481131.html

So, apparently it is 4 specific drugs or devices they are citing moral objections to providing, but still providing 16 others. Which would presume their objections are based on the merit of the claims that the drugs or devices terminate a pregnancy, rather than prevent it. Would evidence supporting that no such termination occurs in a common patient render their argument null, or is the science and facts irrelevant as long as their belief is such, as people have postulated in this and other threads?

I don't think the science is really against them. IUDs and emergency contraception pills can prevent implantation of a fertilized egg. If they believe that human life starts precisely at conception then they are being consistent in their beliefs. Not that I think they're right, but I don't see how you could use science to get around what is essentially a religious argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Raenir Salazar posted:

There should be a national Federal ID that's free and mailed to you; they should similar to how it's done in Quebec, simply set up photobooths during Highschool once or twice a year, take your picture and present you your ID then and then offer the service again in College in case you lose it.

You'd think something like that would be completely uncontroversial, but no, you'd be wrong. National ID cards are up there with gun control on the untouchable subjects list. You're clearly not American.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

richardfun posted:

Ok, so I see people saying there are four boxes, and I understand that means four cases today. But what are the 'boxes' referring to? Literal boxes? Something on a form?

They're literal boxes. But that doesn't necessarily mean there are 4 cases. Some take up more than one box, some take up less.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

An out-of-state ID is not proof that you're ineligible to vote, and an in-state ID isn't proof that you didn't vote somewhere else, so it's useless for what you're claiming it will do.

You don't even need an in state ID to register to vote. When I moved states last year, I registered to vote and got my voter registration card before I actually switched over my driver's license (I think I was technically required to get a new driver's license within 10 days, but I didn't and nobody cared). When I went to vote and showed my out-of-state ID and my in-state voter registration card, it didn't even occur to me that anyone would consider it to be a problem, and it wasn't.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Green Crayons posted:

Looks like Fisher was granted.

Be prepared for the end of Affirmative Action next year.

They could have overturned AA the first time around if they had really wanted to. Fisher just doesn't seem like a very good plaintiff.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Charlz Guybon posted:

If there's demand, why isn't it produced here? The EU didn't exactly ban those drugs yesterday.

Anyways, if we're going to execute people we should use the guillotine, the quickest and most painless way, but the French Revolution gave it a bad name.

It has nothing to do with the French revolution. People just don't like the look of it because a head getting chopped off is a lot more gruesome than a painless* death by just falling asleep**, as in lethal injection. Lethal injection just feels so much better to people who don't want to think too deeply about execution, which is most of us.

* May not be painless
** May not actually be asleep when lethal drugs administered

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

I wonder if support for the death penalty would decrease if we did publicly guillotine people. Or maybe it would increase, I don't know, people are weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

A car crashed and lit on fire on the arterial I take home from work. Spent an hour parked on the road, catching more-than-occasional whiffs of burning vehicle, while the mass of shitheads trying to draw data from every tower within range meant I had to listen to loving commercials while a god drat subhuman piece of rural trash idled his loving farm truck with its lack of a muffler next to my loving car. My backseat passenger door actually had soot on it from that loving cockroach's heap.

On the other hand, Scalia dropped dead earlier this month.

I was once stuck in an hour long traffic jam that Scalia caused. An hour of my life that I'll never get back, but hey, Scalia's dead.