Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

I can't see how this is going to work out well for Republicsns at all. If I were Garland, I'd be pissed at them for jerking me around for months, and being just plain disrespectful to me and the bench. Certainly would make me less inclined to strongly consider conservative philosophies when making rulings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

mcmagic posted:

It doesn't matter who he nominates. The seat is not his to fill.

You know, with the election so recent, and because there's so much you have to learn and become used to when one becomes President, there really shouldn't be any Supreme Court Justice nominations for at least the first two years. You know, that way it can get the full attention it deserves.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

Well, small victories

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

This is, to be clear, why a portion of Senate Dems were voting for confirmation of Trump's previous, far less offensive appointments- they were keeping their powder dry to maximize coverage of the nuclear option to get someone really odious in. The plan was probably to do it to DeVos. Trump moving so quickly on SCOTUS forced the dems to pull the trigger on this sooner than they'd planned.

Agreed. It seems like Trump's pick is essentially going to be Scalia v2.0 and the better move would be to not make it an easy confirmation by any means, but don't set it up for the nuclear option right now. I would think that given there's a decent chance of one of the liberal justices needing replacement in the next 4 years is fairly high, saving the filibuster for that situation, so that invoking the nuclear option is even that more of a Thing.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

The reason they're doing it now is that they can point to the fact that this seat was opened during Obama's term as a source of legitimacy. Notice that they're not saying "we'll filibuster anyone who's not moderate", they're saying "we'll filibuster anyone who's not Garland". That's not something they can just save for later.

Alright, that makes a lot more sense

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

Well, Gorsuch it is

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

Opening Arguments podcast has an episode today on Gorsuch. They make some good points about Gorsuch wanting to not just be a conservative, but a conservative activist judge. They also echo a lot of what's been said in the D&D / CSPAM threads about how they can't figure out why the Democrats can't put together a simple, organized and coherent argument against Gorsuch.

Makes me feel :smith:

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

It's probably like trying to nail jelly to a wall. The lack of a clearly defined set of judicial principles means you always have an exception to point out when someone boxes you in on your record.

Take Scalia, whose views on privacy could be defined by Lawrence, but perhaps also by any number of 4A police search cases (King for example, DNA cheek swabs), but then again there's the strip searches issue in Florence. If he went into a hearing and got questioned on being "soft on crime" he can point to Florence, whereas if questioned on 4A unreasonable search/seizure he can point to a handful of police search cases where he backed up the plaintiff.

So when I see someone who wants to be a crusader or an activist and wants to do so in Scalia's image, I imagine someone who draws their opinion from an initial gut check against political ideology and then writes the opinion by working out from there and using lots of inflammatory language to distract from the fact that it's not jurisprudence but ideological rigor in the face of contradictory facts.

That's a fair point. On the podcast, they were talking more about non-judicial activities such as writing this sarcastic little piece against liberals for the National Review, and broader concepts like the fact that he basically endorses judicial activism in his opinions, not necessarily about his specific readings of the law. It's a good listen, and as someone who doesn't easily understand law stuff, they make it easily digestible.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

As a tide over until we get some hearing juiciness: Man opens the door and get shot by a cop, 11th circuit says the victims family can't sue because he's a cop

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2017/03/17/appeals_court_rules_officer_who_killed_man_in_his_own_home_cannot_be_sued.html

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I'm kind of surprised there's not more discussion about SCOTUS saying that Texas can keep their districts.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

Syzygy Stardust posted:

Among all this hysteria, it might be helpful to remember that Trump himself is very pro gay rights.

On another note, two guys on his list are in their 40s.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I needed a laugh like that after all of this depressing poo poo today

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

Since SCOTUS is out for the summer, can we talk about bad appeals court decisions?

https://twitter.com/bradheath/status/1170025501316001792?s=20

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

This seems bad...

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1185268299862556674

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

This however seems good!

https://twitter.com/srl/status/1185298980013522944

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

Something fun to think about, specifically the hypocrisy that will occur god forbid

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/stat...agenumber%3D611

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

Yayyy [/sarcasm]

https://twitter.com/SCOTUSblog/status/1232322969583706113?s=20

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

Congress: Excuse me federal court, what should we do about this constitutional situation?

Courts: *Shrug*

https://twitter.com/ToddRuger/status/1233507494682660864?s=20

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

How more completely transparent can the conservative majority make their voter suppression support

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

So in theory it’s not unconstitutional to set up robocalls to the conservative justices’ cell phones that continually play recordings of Gilbert Gottfried reading 50 Shades.....

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

We all knew it was inevitable.......but gently caress

Please have the balls to pack the court Biden

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

We all knew that these would come

https://www.wistv.com/2021/02/18/live-sc-bill-banning-most-abortions-be-signed-by-governor-lawsuit-already-filed-opposition/

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

haveblue posted:

Is starfleet under admiralty law

Good question, I don't believe their flag has golden tassels though....

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

The "huge partisan intervention" in question is that he delayed the filling of one seat until after an election, giving voters a chance to decide which party that seat should go to. Crying about him "stealing multiple seats" is just sour grapes.

Even if he hadn't done that, conservatives would still have a majority on the Court now, since McConnell didn't do anything new to get Kavanaugh's or ACB's seats.

Why would a person ever find themselves wanting to defend the litch known as Mitch Mcconnel?

Kavanaugh and ACB were absolutely stolen seats

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

Disappointing but not surprising

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/03/04/supreme-court-rules-in-trump-colorado-ballot-case.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

HashtagGirlboss posted:

An individual vote is the most meaningless thing in the world. They only matter in the aggregate, and it’s the responsibility of the candidate to build the support that can win on that measure. Even the closest election a single vote is meaningless, because was it that third party vote, or was it that person who got in a car wreck on the way to the polls and didn’t vote, or any other of countless individual reasons a voter didn’t vote for a candidate. No voter is on the hook. It’s entirely the responsibility of the political apparatus. That’s their job

In my life I have voted for Nader/kerry/Obamax2/clinton/spoiled ballot

In no case did my vote matter

I beg to differ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPICta8Rb9I