Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Sarcastro posted:

God, that phrase gives me genuine shivers of pleasure.

I'm with you on that. I love Preet for that, so... you think Bharara, Schiff, Harris... Berman?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Gobbeldygook posted:

https://twitter.com/ElieNYC/status/1307195377842618373
Supreme court will be hearing arguments November 10th, so Republicans are finally going to get their white whale.

Just in time, if the Dems take the senate, to have a reason to replace it with a proper single payer system in 1Q 2021.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

People are very upset at Hillary and RBG for things that Mitch McConnell has done.

:thunk:

Mitch is a piece of poo poo, but he could be replaced any time by the Senate Republicans. He's their lightning rod, untouchable in Kentucky, and they love him for it. It might serve us better to stop just hitting the lightning rod with our rage and maybe try to hit his enablers in the Senate. How? I have no idea.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

DandyLion posted:

Nobody is packing the SC. This is a line fed to liberals to placate them long enough for their anger to subside. I doubt even a majority of Democratic Senators would be on board.

Having a conservative Supreme Court is great for Pelosi/Schumer Dems. "Sorry liberal base, we're trying but the conservative court will just knock it down! Why can't you just be satisfied with [incremental social justice victory that has no consequence to the fortunes of the plutocrats] and just get out and vote D!"

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

Kennedy retired right before the midterms even though it wasn't a sure thing that Republicans would lose the senate (as they, in fact, didn't). If he had waited and Democrats had won we'd be one old man death away from two open seats right now and a potential liberal majority, but he didn't wait so they ensured they kept the court regardless of what happened in the election.

And that devotion to ensuring their own ideology dominates the court after they're gone is why conservatives are about to have a 6-3 majority and liberals are not.

He wouldn't have had a choice if she had retired before Democrats lost the senate in the 2014 midterms

To be fair to RBG, it wasn't clear in 2014 that Mitch would play silly games with the judiciary in 2015 and 2016.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

The court needs to be packed whether she’s seated or not. Seat her so the succdems will get on board with 13 justices in January.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Maybe we can hope Lady G gave her the 'rona.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Merrik Garland, the centrist, who was chosen specifically because he was acceptable to the GOP.

I need to find me a succ zone to post in.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

I hope we get a good story on this whole thing someday.

https://twitter.com/paulajanekelly/status/1509226445511479300

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

I am loving the drip drip drip of news of SCOTUS corruption. Keeps it in the collective conscious and exposes bullshit excuses with successive reveals.

Do you think there’s a central source that’s leaking things purposefully and slowly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Obama didn't push back too hard against Turtle because it was a supposed-foregone conclusion that Hillary was going to win, right?

I mean, I wonder what Obama could have done if he really wanted to get that appointment in before Jan 20.