Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

hobbesmaster posted:

But birth control pills prevent ovulation, not implantation? These cases are all :psyduck:
You make it sound as though birth control opponents have any interest in the science behind birth control. Scientific proof that birth control doesn't work the way they say it does has never stopped them, because they don't care about science. The only reason they ever even bring it up is to apply a thin veneer of moral legitimacy to their opposition of women having sex when and how they want.

More on-topic: What kind of schedule is there for Hobby Lobby, if any?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Macaroni Surprise posted:

So what does lame duck mean in politics? I thought it was just general slang.
An elected official whose replacement has already been elected, but the time for the replacement hasn't happened yet.

So Obama will be one in mid-November.

EDIT: Wikipedia says the term can be used before the replacement is elected but it's "especially" used for politicians in that situation.

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 19, 2016

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

The party that actually forced a government shutdown and was only saved by a combination of our lovely media and the healthcare.gov website killing itself? They can easily see this through.
I'm not so sure about this though. As others have mentioned, this time around is an election year, and that means politics is what people are seeing and talking about basically every night. Once Obama nominates a candidate, anything either he or any of the presidential candidates say about that person is going to be national news, and as long as the vacancy remains open, it's going to stay that way. The Republicans could hope that people would forget about the government shutdown after it ended, but they're not going to forget about a vacancy on the Supreme Court.

Now, is that going to be enough to get the Republicans to cave? I don't know, but acting like everyone's just going to let them off the hook and forget about it is a bit short-sighted.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

FuturePastNow posted:

I like Ellison but Dean's strategy worked pretty loving well 10 years ago, so who gives a poo poo what lobbying he's done since then if he can win elections?
The fact that maybe things have changed in the past 10 years?

Like I'm not suggesting that the guy should be automatically disqualified or anything, but the world and how campaigns are run have changed quite a bit from 2008.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

xrunner posted:

It's not exactly a slam dunk that Biden wins in November, but even if he does and the dems manage to retake the senate, Chuck S. is on record that he thinks bringing back the judicial filibuster is a good idea.
This gets brought up a lot but it's misleading. Schumer said this in October 2018, notably before the midterms. Bringing back the judicial filibuster for any future Trump appointments probably would have been a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

The conservative clerk leak theory feels like 12-dimensional chess bullshit. Leaking a draft decision for a landmark case introduces political and interpersonal chaos at the 11th hour. If the leak were traced to that clerk the other conservative justices are going to be PISSED and it could break down their relationship to the point that future decisions fall apart. I think if you're a clerk considering a leak you would be smart enough to take those things into consideration. Even a theoretical lite version of the Alito draft is still a big win, are you going to risk wrecking the inner workers of what is now a powerful vehicle for your ideology (the 6-3 SCOTUS) and your own career to try to strong-arm justice #5 into signing off on this specific draft? I don't think so.
I don't know. The fact that the entire GOP has been responding to this by calling the leaker a literal terrorist has me wondering if this is Roberts or another conservative trying to have their cake and eat it too. Put out the leak of Roe being overturned, then "moderate" it by publishing an opinion where technically Roe still exists but it's gutted to the point where states can do whatever the gently caress they want, a la the VRA. That would generate immense amounts of chud outrage at how those libcuck terrorists "intimidated" the court into "keeping" Roe, even as they get exactly the practical outcome that they wanted, and lets Roberts walk away without being tarred as the CJ whose court overturned it. Win-win-win.

I'm not trying to argue that this is somehow a good or "better" outcome than Roe being overturned; abortion would be hosed either way. But SCOTUS and especially the conservative justices famously do not give a single poo poo about public opinion, so I don't see how leaking the draft would actually sway any of the justices' votes in either direction. They all already know how both sides would react to Roe being overturned.