Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I also trip balls on ambien. The first and only time I took it I hallucinated for around 18 hours and don't remember anything.

My father, MIL, SIL, grandfather, and brother are all bipolar. I really understand what you and Joanne went through. It's heart breaking and exhausting and frustrating all at the same time.

I've been diagnosed with chronic depression or disthymia which makes dealing with it a whole nother level of worse. The meds for disthymia are the same they use on bipolar because disthymia is a really strange beast to treat. I ended up grinding my teeth so hard on cymbalta that I cracked a filling out. My hands shook so hard coming on it that I couldn't even drink water. When I eventually went off a few years later I had "brain zaps" and suddenly wouldn't remember where or what I was doing.

Oh and dealing with the cost of mental illness in the US loving blows.

I hope Joanne never decides to have children. My SIL got pregnant and had been stable for quite some time but the hormones from the baby plus cycling off of potentially birth defect causing medications caused her a month long ward stay after the baby was born.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Amalek posted:

Great story and really enjoyed it.
Am I the only one who wants Sharon to face great justice?
Please tell me she eventually got her comeuppance and then she got some help?

My Mother in Laws' sister is just like Sharon. She literally thinks we are all assholes when we take my MILs credit cards away and acts like we doing this great injustice when we keep my MIL from going to kinkos to make 800 flyers about how christ is risen and coming to save us or whatever the flavor of the week is.

She seriously came into town from 1000 miles away just to take my MIL shopping and then ran up a 5000 bill on my FILs credit card. My FIL proceeded to have to return all the poo poo to various stores which was a massive pita because my MILs sister threw away all the receipts.

I'm positive she is bipolar but because her husband makes massive dough, shes never been taken to the doctor for her crazy spending habits and total insanity.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Tony Montana posted:

ok.. ok.. things were bad enough that it was hard for you to stick by her.. but that's when she was on your side. Now the open betrayal of the cheating (it's emotional cheating, they don't need to screw for it to be hosed up.. you carried her through this poo poo and this is how she is repaying you) and her bullshit attitude is completely unacceptable.

To stick by your wife when she is sick is one thing.. to be openly poo poo on is another. Yes, she is sick and perhaps not in full control of what she is doing (although by now it's sounding like she has enough control to build a little army against you).. but there has to be a line in the sand and that line, I think, is when we're not a team anymore.

My MILs doctor basically told my FIL that my MIL would indiscriminately cheat on him thanks to bipolar, which was bullshit. BP folks might be more outgoing when they are manic but it doesn't throw all their morals out the window. They are still at their core the same people.

When you've known someone for a long time, you can usually tell what the disease is vs what their own normal personality is. My dad for example - would beat me senseless at the drop of a hat when he was manic. I still hate him sometimes for alot of reasons, like not consistently staying on his meds, but I do realize that it wasn't totally him. He is also extremely sorry because us kids have all but abandoned him because he would never stick to a treatment.

Also - dealing with this poo poo in America blows. There aren't any publicized support groups. Mental illness is a giant stigma here in such a lovely way that no one will ever talk to each other about it. Nowadays you can get people to admit to adhd, add, and depression but schizophrenia and bipolar are still untouchables. I grew up in TN and it was awful. Places that still cling to god will tell you that its just the devils curse and that "yall need to get back into church"

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

hookerbot 5000 posted:

It worries me a bit though, all the women on his side of the family have some kind of mental illness or another (with a lot of them having been commited at various points) and we've just had a daughter.

Given the mental illness on both sides of mine and my husbands family we are seriously thinking about never having kids - however there have been some studies on fish oil / omega 3 fatty acids that have shown they can reduce the presence of mental illness. I'd look into it some more if you think she'd be a genetically unlucky individual.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fish-oil/NS_patient-fishoil/DSECTION=evidence (It shows promise for depression at a minimum)

http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/supplement/omega3-fatty-acids - this link has a bit more detail

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 17, 2013

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

FunWithWombats posted:

Can I be mad at an illness?

I'm always mad at the illness. I'm not sure I can directly take hating both of my parents for being themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Grump posted:

I clicked on Ask/Tell forum a couple nights ago, thinking "gently caress it. I never read this forum. Why not," and then proceeded to power through this thread :stonk:

Holy poo poo, dude. You're a saint, and this is a really interesting thread. I was actually pretty close to picking Psych as my major last semester because the Abnormal side of psychology. This stuff is extremely interesting to read and learn about. Props to you for being a good storyteller as well.

I'm kind of confused, though, by your stories and others' in here. Do people with Bipolar willingly act on their obsessions, such as cheating and destroying things, or is it out of their control entirely? I'm just thinking about OCD, where the afflicted would have obsessions, but usually never actually carry the action out.

Also, how's your social life, outside of dating?

I've got chronic depression, not bipolar, but I can definitely say that I don't want to be sad. I don't want to cry. I don't want to lay in bed all day and do nothing but if I don't heed my own warnings and triggers it will happen no matter what. It's not like "oh my brain wants me to go cry in a corner, lets ignore it" its like "Nope waterworks are happening right now. Can't do anything about it"

Chronic depression and bipolar are chemically closely related and frequently treated with the same medications so I could see it being out of their control as well.

• Locked thread