Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
I know this is kind of a longshot but for those who are playing maplestory 2, is there a way to launch the game without the site? Using the executable works for maplestory 1 but in maplestory 2 it just gives you an error saying to gently caress off and use the site like the bitch you are (that's my approximation of what it says).

e: actually nevermind, the reason I wanted to do it was to get steam overlay on the game so I could chat with a friend but I decided to plug in a second monitor instead, even better. If you know how though feel free to answer anyways, for posterity.

e2:
I don't know what I want to be :ohdear:

Highblood fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Is there a guide that takes you from lvl 1 to high level and shows you which quests and events and stuff to do? I tried playing a few years ago and got overwhelmed by all of the available content, not really knowing what to focus on and when to just grind out levels.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

The quests that give decent-to-good exp are usually the ones that are class specific and the ones that are found in theme dungeons like Mushroom Kingdom or Ellinel Fairy Academy. The rest of them are generally time-inefficient but can be fun to read through once in a while. Nexon NA usually does a good job with writing/localizing! If you just want to grind then use the burning character event and follow these rough guidelines:

1-10 Tutorial
10-25~ Flaming Golems outside Henesys
25-34~ Curse Eyes (the green ones) outside of Ellinia
34-46~ Gold Beach (talk to Irvin in 6-Path Crossway) (use whichever map is the easiest to move around and can be killed in 1/2 hits)
46-70~ Drakes outside Sleepywood OR Skeledogs in the Perion Excavation Camp (Drakes is really crowded sometimes, and both of these mobs are mid 60s so it might be slow to kill them at first)
70-140 Romeo & Juliet Party Quest stage 3 grind (It's really, really good! Especially with Kanna/hs/Beast Tamer!) OR Evolution System (might be slow nowadays) OR Monster Park Extreme from 100-140 (Strong mobs that give a lot of exp, 3 entrances per day plus a chance at more if you kill the boss)
140-150~ RJPQ if it's not too slow for you OR 140+ Dimension Invade (lots of monsters, they hit kinda hard, you don't need to kill the boss for good exp(and you probably can't!)
165+ Stronghold in Future Henesys
195+ Scrapyard in Edelstein (Dunno if this is good, haven't tried it yet and it's brand new)

You can earn up to an hour of 2x exp coupons per day by playing minigames in Star Planet (don't forget to accept the daily quests!) and there are usually 2x events every weekend during the big patches (Summer, Winter, etc.) from 3am-7am and 5pm-9pm ET.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Silento posted:

195+ Scrapyard in Edelstein (Dunno if this is good, haven't tried it yet and it's brand new)

there are no safe spots, you will die hanging on a ladder, don't afk, ensure you have pet auto pot (since this is free now)
apart from that yes - the spawn is absurd without a kanna, even better with a kanna, and exp is nice af

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Rolled a beast tamer, seems pretty fun so far.
drat there's so much stuff everywhere. I'm picking up all sorts of coins and tokens and medals and boxes that give even more items.
I can't even keep track of all this crap. :stare:

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Baldbeard posted:

Rolled a beast tamer, seems pretty fun so far.
drat there's so much stuff everywhere. I'm picking up all sorts of coins and tokens and medals and boxes that give even more items.
I can't even keep track of all this crap. :stare:

This is one of the reasons I have trouble even starting up the game again, the amount of poo poo that gets thrown at me is just too much.

The other reason is I always go to Southperry when I'm thinking about playing again to look at patches and I get bummed out because all the members are Gaters now :negative:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Kabanaw posted:

This is one of the reasons I have trouble even starting up the game again, the amount of poo poo that gets thrown at me is just too much.

The other reason is I always go to Southperry when I'm thinking about playing again to look at patches and I get bummed out because all the members are Gaters now :negative:

Southperry is awful, they're always so negative about everything. I still read it for KMS news, though. :v:

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
did they fix the bug with Beast Tamer where she loving sucks at bossing?

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Dizz posted:

did they fix the bug with Beast Tamer where she loving sucks at bossing?

Well, she has some really strong buffs in cat form! And they fixed the lag you used to get when you played her! Her gold card is almost as good as old BaM auras (30% attack, 2 attack speed, and some defense)! :swoon:

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
so now the good poo poo for BT is cat and bear? i dont pay attention to that crap.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I'm not sure about bear, but Cat is definitely the most useful at high levels.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

All the guides I read said bear and snow leopard are the best for leveling. Hope I didn't screw up too hard dumping SP into them.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Baldbeard posted:

All the guides I read said bear and snow leopard are the best for leveling. Hope I didn't screw up too hard dumping SP into them.

a full sp reset is 2.8 mil meso i've reset my bt every other day

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

:aaa:

Bought 2 Black Cubes with Reward Points, first one made my hat legendary.

Second one did nothing to my (unique) pants, but I'll take what I can get!

This is actually my second legendary item. My first one was my shield, which also happened thanks to Reward Shop Black Cubes.

:pray:

For laughs, the 12% HP on that hat only gave me like 1.5k max hp, lmao. BaM passives OP!

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Yay, friendship!

Also gently caress you Dizz >:)

Highblood
May 20, 2012

After playing a bit more of maplestory 2 I noticed that there are hacking bots in nearly every map of the game :smith: it's a bit sad to see that so early in the game's life.

What's funny is that they work just like bots in the first game, they teleport to monsters around the map and kill them before teleporting again.

GlenQuagmire
Jan 1, 2005

Pizza Time!

Highblood posted:

After playing a bit more of maplestory 2 I noticed that there are hacking bots in nearly every map of the game :smith: it's a bit sad to see that so early in the game's life.

What's funny is that they work just like bots in the first game, they teleport to monsters around the map and kill them before teleporting again.

Yeah, it's pretty sad. The devs have tried to implement measures to stop them from having a big impact, like preventing trading of mesos, having market transactions take 48 hours to clear, stripping mesos from bots and raffling them off to players, but ultimately I don't know if there's a good way to stop them, as long as there's people willing to pay for in game currency.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

GlenQuagmire posted:

Yeah, it's pretty sad. The devs have tried to implement measures to stop them from having a big impact, like preventing trading of mesos, having market transactions take 48 hours to clear, stripping mesos from bots and raffling them off to players, but ultimately I don't know if there's a good way to stop them, as long as there's people willing to pay for in game currency.

Big data can solve this without any invasive client side software. Unfortunately Korea

GlenQuagmire
Jan 1, 2005

Pizza Time!

Biowarfare posted:

Big data can solve this without any invasive client side software. Unfortunately Korea

Interesting. Is this something Nexon NA bothers to do, or are they still having tons of bot problems? I remember games like mabi and vindictus being chock full o' bots when I quit them years ago, but a cursory search of The Internet seems to indicate things haven't changed much...

Anyhow, enough derailing from me, I guess. Who's excited for the next ms2 content patch this week?! :effort:

Highblood
May 20, 2012

What's coming next patch? Raising the cap to 40 is all I know about it :shrug:

GlenQuagmire
Jan 1, 2005

Pizza Time!

Highblood posted:

What's coming next patch? Raising the cap to 40 is all I know about it :shrug:

If you get to 30 before the patch, they'll send you 1000 blue mushrooms in the mail on Aug 1 (200 for reaching 15, 800 more for getting to 30). In terms of content, I'm not 100% sure except that there will be new areas, 4 (5?) new raid bosses, and then a bunch of new field bosses.
Here's a video from the website, if you're curious. http://maplestory2.nexon.com/news/150723/season2

Highblood
May 20, 2012

poo poo, what's the fastest way to level? I don't have a lot of time left

e: and of course the game goes down for maintenance

Highblood fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 29, 2015

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

GlenQuagmire posted:

Interesting. Is this something Nexon NA bothers to do, or are they still having tons of bot problems? I remember games like mabi and vindictus being chock full o' bots when I quit them years ago, but a cursory search of The Internet seems to indicate things haven't changed much...

It's not something they can really do without core modifying server side code to be able to log a lot of completed events. Nexon korea culture is to keep your head down, obey your supervisor, do not ever make waves.

You could kill almost all botteraccounts near instantaneously, without them being able to bypass some antihack, etc. and apply machine learning techniques to it with look for statistics and outliers.

ex. Level above 80, has never done RJPQ once, is logged in more than x hours a day, average skill casts per second across the day above y threshold, has NPCed a higher than baseline amount of items - you could likely get close to no false positives this way, without needing to trust the client in any way for your data. The legitimate people that don't effeciently do RJPQ upon hitting 70 likely will not meet the rest of the conditions, like newbies that complete all storyline quests instead of only efficiently levelling would not meet x hours per day in combat outlier search.

Consider average map travel time trained across all users in the userbase: if an average person takes 9 seconds to flash jump or teleport across map 1 to 2, you can also use this to remove/kill off botter which fly/mousefly/teleport-hack, assuming you log portal entry and exit times. It's not possible to bypass in virtualy any way without spending that amount of time to slow down; your bot would sleep for 10 seconds to prevent being catched by this case. But that means 10 seconds severely slows down ability to do bot and come back to the map. So you also slow down the entry of illegitimate gold make.

Stool Sample
Nov 8, 2006

EVERYONE Poops!?

Lipstick Apathy
I'm thinking of getting back into the game, but everytime I go away for a while all my characters stats reset. What's the best guide for allocating stats these days? (specifically for bishops)

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Press auto assign, bam you're done. :v:

The only character who doesn't all their points in one stat is Xenon, so don't worry about it. Also, as of the latest patch you can buy full stat resets for 7m meso!

Stool Sample
Nov 8, 2006

EVERYONE Poops!?

Lipstick Apathy

Silento posted:

Press auto assign, bam you're done. :v:

The only character who doesn't all their points in one stat is Xenon, so don't worry about it. Also, as of the latest patch you can buy full stat resets for 7m meso!

Whoops, I meant skillpoints :downs:
I mean if those have auto-assign that'd be great, but I don't want to gimp myself if the buffs/attacks/whatever have changed.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Stool Sample posted:

Whoops, I meant skillpoints :downs:
I mean if those have auto-assign that'd be great, but I don't want to gimp myself if the buffs/attacks/whatever have changed.

You can also buy full skill resets for 7m meso!!!!!

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Meghan's back, I'm fiending for MMOs cause of ToS, and Silento is harassing me to play again... I cannot make this bad life decision.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Horizontal Tree posted:

Meghan's back, I'm fiending for MMOs cause of ToS, and Silento is harassing me to play again... I cannot make this bad life decision.

Come back to us tree, even I'm back now.

Stool Sample
Nov 8, 2006

EVERYONE Poops!?

Lipstick Apathy
Bad life decisions is what maple is all about!

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
maint in an hour imso excite burbnging season 2 !

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Can any of you cool MS2 players explain how the player housing stuff works?

GlenQuagmire
Jan 1, 2005

Pizza Time!

Red Bones posted:

Can any of you cool MS2 players explain how the player housing stuff works?

You can rent apartments for X amount of mesos initially, then pay a percentage of X as monthly rent. (edit: looks like it's 70% of X) These are like high rise apartments, in that they hold 1000 players or something each. You interact with the building and can select your own room or access someone else's if you know their room number.

Next up, you can also rent a house that's actually on the map. Those go for at cheapest 3.X million mesos initially and range to just under 6 million. Same deal with monthly rent.

Then, finally, are the plots of land. Those go for 14?-ish to 40 something million mesos initially. Those let you literally build whatever you want outside in the game world, and you can select the style and size of your house. Have fun paying the upkeep on that though!

GlenQuagmire fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Aug 7, 2015

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

That's kind of good because it means you can't just camp the plots forever unless you also play the game forever which is obviously a win in Nexon's book. If this were like the year 2000 all those would be gone never to be seen again by the first week and they'd add more a year later.

GlenQuagmire
Jan 1, 2005

Pizza Time!

Amppelix posted:

That's kind of good because it means you can't just camp the plots forever unless you also play the game forever which is obviously a win in Nexon's book. If this were like the year 2000 all those would be gone never to be seen again by the first week and they'd add more a year later.

What's also cool is that if you have a sweet-lookin' house, the nexon GM team will actually come in and visit + take screenies to post an article on the front page of the game site. Even though there are 200 channels, each house is in its own instance, so no matter who goes inside you'll all end up in the same place at the same time. This can lead to some ridiculously laggy homes where there are tons of people afking or chatting. Some of the richer guilds paid for those exorbitant plots, and even built mazes/jumping puzzles inside. They also use custom tiles on the outside to advertise the guild webpage and whatnot.

Here's a recent example from the gm chronicles. This dude built a public bath house.

(2x2 custom plot. top right is a custom skin block)

Here's the interior floor plan. He must have spent a fortune in mesos + real money. Each water tile costs $3. Each one of the bathtubs is a custom NX item. :psyboom:

edit:
Here's some of the custom 2x2 plots in my housing district:

GlenQuagmire fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Aug 7, 2015

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above

GlenQuagmire posted:

MS2 Housing Stuff

Daaammmnnn, now I want this game to get a global release more than ever. I'd love just being able to see all the cool houses people make.

Stool Sample
Nov 8, 2006

EVERYONE Poops!?

Lipstick Apathy
Oh god, if this gets a global release we can make a goon death-labyrinth

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

If you stop paying rent and lose your house, does it save the room layout?

I'd be interested to know if player-made dungeons are on the cards at all, since that seems like a really good way to add a shitload of content really easily. I dunno if the game is fun enough that people would just run a well designed dungeon sans any xp or item drops, or if Nexon would need to do something like vet the top 20 dungeons each month to make sure they aren't weird and exploity, and then add in-game rewards for finishing them. Either way if people are already making mazes and platforming puzzles this seems like a pretty obvious next step.

GlenQuagmire
Jan 1, 2005

Pizza Time!
I know from experience that if you break contract and switch apartments, the game just dumps all your blocks back into your inventory (there's a custom tab just for housing junk, so it's not mixed in with monster drops).

The game's been out for about a month, so most contracts won't start expiring until... right about now, since they run on 30 day cycles. I assume letting your house expire means that all your blocks go back into your inventory. Also, if you have an outside expensive plot or individual house, you can rename the building so that when people mouse over it they will see "GOON-HOVEL" instead of something like "Evansville west plot 7".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

Everything I see about MS2 makes me really excited because it looks amazing. But I'm also very worried for my wallet when it gets globalized. :ohdear:

• Locked thread