Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Weatie
Sep 9, 2012
MS2 looks like fun, I just don't know if I'll be playing it. I've just been grinding away on Splatoon lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

New boss in the Korean test server: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0qXuRMrJh4

Looks cool! I wonder what it drops?

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

Silento posted:

Oh dear god I can only imagine the LAG.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

:toot:

Done with link skills until Kinesis comes out, unless I make a Cannoneer to replace my Jett.

Lead By Example
Jul 17, 2009

I buy and resell Pokemon cards for a living. If you're ever looking to sell your childhood, please reach out!
Fallen Rib
I can't believe I'm playing this game again, yet here we are lol

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

:toot: Thanks for the moral support, Bio!

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

New runes + Pink Bean + other stuff!

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

:stwoon:

I literally just epic potted this today, this was the first cube i used on it

:gizz:

Corby Haas
Jul 29, 2015
The IRC is really cool, even though it's only like four dudes. I just got my guild invite and I'm sort of becoming accustomed to the controls.

Things I like about Maplestory:
  • controlled by the keyboard - WHY AREN'T THERE MORE GAMES LIKE THIS?
  • adorable - I chose the "Thunder Breaker" job path because the head of that order baked me muffins during my starting quests.
  • people seem nice - I haven't played much, but I've spent plenty of time chatting and asking people to show off skills, pets, etc.
  • you can hold down spacebar to keep jumping - Jumping is an integral part of any MMO.
  • shortcut key (\) to rearrange keybindings - This is the hotness.
  • mob respawn rate is super fast - No standing around.
  • music is great - I've got it turned off completely when I play, but I listen to it through YouTube at work.

Things I dislike about Maplestory:
  • 1366x768 max resolution - I prefer to play fullscreen, and non-native resolutions hamper my frenetic alt-tabbing.
  • non-configurable movement keys - My hands want WASD and my laptop has dinky arrow keys.
  • The quest text suggests pressing keys that I've already reconfigured to do something else.
  • Whenever I log in, I have to close out or rearrange a few different UI elements that won't stay how I like them.
  • Is Henesys the only place to buy pet food? Why didn't anyone tell me to buy a ton of pet food?

MapleStory is closer to the "daydream" MMO I'd like to make one day than any other game I've seen, but the resolution and movement key issues really irritate me. Verdict: I'm still deciding between MapleStory and Trove to be the next game I sink some time into.

Crell
Nov 4, 2008

Hot Leggy Blonde, you
got it goin' on.

Corby Haas posted:

but the resolution and movement key issues really irritate me.

There used to be ways to force windowed fullscreen, but you can't do it anymore. I tried coming back a few weeks ago but not being able to do windowed fullscreen is way to annoying so I stopped again.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Silento posted:

Probably a coin or something, where 50 coins can get you a piece of gear that's most likely worse than what we got already.

also probably some useless potions too.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

http://orangemushroom.net/2015/08/19/kms-ver-1-2-243-maplestory-reboot-destruction-king-urus/#more-13407

quote:

Grade System

Based on your individual performance and your team performance when fighting Urus, you’ll be given a Grade. With higher Grades, you’ll receive more rewards. If Urus’ health is more than a certain percentage after a certain period of time (meaning you are not doing enough damage), you will automatically receive the lowest Grade.

quote:

After you either defeat Urus or your party is wiped out, the Battle Results will appear. You’ll get points based on your survival time, assists, and total damage which you will then get ranked upon.

Based on your points, you’ll get EXP, mesos, and Urus parts. On the right side will be a ranking showing who did the most damage and at the bottom, it will list the Deal King (most damage), Revival King (most revivals of party members) and the Heal King (most healing).
Ursus parts, looks like skin, bones, fur, that kind of thing.

quote:

Urus also has a Boss Soul, his skill is to summon Urus for 60 seconds dealing 500%/1000% with a 150 second cooldown.

quote:

Aisha is the one who holds rewards for fighting Urus. You can collect various items from Urus and trade them in to her for prizes.

100 Scroll Traces
Mashoor’s Gift Weather Effect
Urus Medal of Honor (gives 1000 Honor)
10% Clean Slate Scroll (untradeable)
Strong Flame of Reincarnation (untradeable)
50% Additional Potential Scroll (untradeable)
50% Epic Potential Scroll (untradeable)

Urus Damage Skins

Bear Damage Skin
Destruction King Damage Skin

Urus Chairs

Fist King Urus Chair
Urus Tasty Chair
Destruction King’s Throne
Urus Hunter Chair

Petite Urus Pet

Petite Urus Pet (Multipet, comes with meso and item pick-up, expires in 7 days, cannot be extended or put into the Cash Locker)

Urus Set Items

Urus Set (gives 10% boss damage if all 4 parts are equipped)
White/Brown/Black Urus Hat (gives 4 attack and magic attack, Cash item that expires in 30 days)
White/Brown/Black Slippers (gives 5 all stats, Cash item that expires in 30 days)
White/Brown/Black Gloves (gives 5 all stats, Cash item that expires in 30 days)
Urus Gentleman/Lady Suit (gives 5 all stats, Cash item that expires in 30 days)

So it doesn't even look like it has high-end items at all, at least not yet.

Corby Haas
Jul 29, 2015

Silento posted:

I understand it's an 18 person boss, which is more than normal. (Normal is 6?) I'm still soaking the information about this game, so from a position of ignorance I posit that maybe it's just a boss for a huge group of people to have fun killing, sort of like the easier raid bosses in WoW's WPVP zones in WotLK and Cata.

On another note, I've been enjoying some of the Maplestory streams on Twitch. They're smaller than the LoL streams I followed and so more intimate and interactive. (One guy was pretty lovely though.)

EDIT: Any word on if Urus will make it to GMS?

Corby Haas fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 14, 2015

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

Corby Haas posted:

I understand it's an 18 person boss, which is more than normal. (Normal is 6?) I'm still soaking the information about this game, so from a position of ignorance I posit that maybe it's just a boss for a huge group of people to have fun killing, sort of like the easier raid bosses in WoW's WPVP zones in WotLK and Cata.

In another note, I've been enjoying some of the Maplestory streams on Twitch. They're smaller than the LoL streams I followed and so more intimate and interactive. (One guy was pretty lovely though.)

EDIT: Any word on if Urus will make it to GMS?

The big updates from KMS inevitably make it to GMS at one point or another. Urus JUST got released on KMS (I think? if it's even been released yet) so it will be a good while before we see it on GMS. Silento probably knows better than I do though.

Fartlancer
Nov 18, 2003
Get to red drakes

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Urban Wizard posted:

The big updates from KMS inevitably make it to GMS at one point or another. Urus JUST got released on KMS (I think? if it's even been released yet) so it will be a good while before we see it on GMS. Silento probably knows better than I do though.

Yeah, it came out like three weeks ago. More info here: http://orangemushroom.net/2015/08/19/kms-ver-1-2-243-maplestory-reboot-destruction-king-urus/

Max's blog actually has info on every new KMS update, so if you're interested you can check it out every once in a while. Some stuff is changed in between versions, but we usually get all the major stuff at least.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Nice!

http://maplestory.nexon.net/news/4246/character-name-changes-are-coming-october-15

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Is anyone playing/know anything about Pocket Maplestory? It just popped up in the Google Play Store for me.

Corby Haas
Jul 29, 2015
The IRC is empty )= Silento isn't even in there. Where's this Slack channel I hear about? (And why is it preferred over IRC?)

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

There is no maplegoons slack AFAIK, and I turned off my computer overnight to update. :v:

In other news, world transfer event for the next few days! You can transfer up to 6 characters from any one world to any other world (well one world for each world alliance, but w.e (Demethos for GAZED!) ) except to Scania.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

http://maplestory.nexon.net/news//5110/

:gizz:

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

So now the game is literally just grinding and RNG?

vvv ohh that makes way more sense

sleppy fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 24, 2015

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above

sleppy posted:

just in the Reboot world. The other worlds will still function as they have I guess.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

The Reboot patch in Korea included a bunch of character skill changes: http://orangemushroom.net/2015/06/24/kms-ver-1-2-238-maplestory-reboot-character-balancing/

It also (seen in the sidebar there) included the new Kinesis job, the giant bear boss and new animation system for the game, and revamps to KFT and some other things. Who knows just how much of it we'll get right off, though.

Stool Sample
Nov 8, 2006

EVERYONE Poops!?

Lipstick Apathy
Is Maplestory 2 still a thing that will happen, with all that minecraft type poo poo?

I want a goddamned goon fortress for my animes.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

That new job sounds really cool

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Stool Sample posted:

Is Maplestory 2 still a thing that will happen, with all that minecraft type poo poo?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Stool Sample posted:

It's already in beta in Korea so, yes.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Actually, MS2 has been out in Korea since July 7th. Dunno when we're getting it!

Corgiflop
Dec 1, 2005

Maximum Derp

:eyepop: drat. This might bring me back in again!

HyperHopper
Aug 12, 2011

The Diggle Commandos need you! Are you brave enough to join the Diggle Commandos?

sleppy posted:

As opposed to what else? Shelling out for NX since without it you can't afford any decent gear? Fighting bots for maps?

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

You are right, and that is part of the reason I stopped playing years ago, but when a server hit the right size, the maplestory economy was perfect. The whole game was trading and playing the market, just so you can show off and hit bosses with a better RNG for drops. I spent hundreds of hours in the FM and actually had fun doing it.

ZeroTime
Oct 13, 2011

Silento posted:

Actually, MS2 has been out in Korea since July 7th. Dunno when we're getting it!

Any idea if it's supposed to be any good?

HyperHopper
Aug 12, 2011

The Diggle Commandos need you! Are you brave enough to join the Diggle Commandos?

sleppy posted:

You are right, and that is part of the reason I stopped playing years ago, but when a server hit the right size, the maplestory economy was perfect. The whole game was trading and playing the market, just so you can show off and hit bosses with a better RNG for drops. I spent hundreds of hours in the FM and actually had fun doing it.

Maybe I was doing it wrong, but the FM when I played was just running through the high numbered shop areas to see if there was actually anything that I could equip being sold, and then not buying it because everything costed more than I could imagine getting. Most of my time was spamming "J>PQ" to try to get whatever that PQ's equip reward was.

Suck-A-Sage
Nov 11, 2008
Has anyone that has recently tried to sign up for a new account keep getting an error message? I want to get back into the game to try out the Reboot update.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I haven't signed up in a long time, but do you live in Europe? GMS has been region-locked to NA + Oceania for a few years now.

NeoSanguine
Jan 7, 2015

This is my swamp.
Is anyone even semi excited for that reboot update?

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

NeoSanguine posted:

Is anyone even semi excited for that reboot update?

Yeah! I've talked to quite a few goons who are gonna give it a try, and I'll probably make a new thread when it comes out.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Reboot sounds cool to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I haven't been excited about anything in this game for like five years, and also Reboot doesn't affect my main character at all outside of general game changes, so meh.

• Locked thread