Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

My first thought was that the girl looked a lot like a maple story version of Velvet from Odin Sphere, but than I remembered that Odin Sphere also had a blond girl named Mercedes that carried a bowgun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
As long as the music is as good as Maple1, I wont care.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Update notes posted.

http://maplestory.nexon.net/news/updates/update-notes/00HPX/v-144-red-zero-update-notes

I have to say, I'm pretty irate about some of the things in that list, including being screwed out of the two new areas because I'm unable to complete the mandatory jump quest in crimsonheart castle since they're required to access it and nexon deciding that the rich should get richer, and giving away free tyrant and fafnir equips to people who spent 130k nx during the black friday sale.

It's probably not as bad as I'm making it out to be, but still, it's pretty lovely.

Edit: changed url to proper update notes

Mephiston fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Dec 18, 2013

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Mephiston posted:

nexon deciding that the rich should get richer, and giving away free tyrant and fafnir equips to people who spent 130k nx during the black friday sale.
This is lovely and you're right, but hopefully a few more on the market will deflate them a bit? (j/k it they'll still be ridiculous.) Thankfully you can turn an empress item into a Sweetwater item in the new area.

Mephiston posted:

being screwed out of the two new areas because I'm unable to complete the mandatory jump quest in crimsonheart castle since they're required to access it
This part though, that JQ isn't even that hard. My girlfriend, who can't do a JQ to save her life, managed to pass it in a handful of tries. It's all annoying, to be sure, but it's not as obnoxious as it could have been.

What amuses me most is we'll have RED coins, Time coins, Commerci coins and New Years coins all at the same time. So many goddamn coins.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

I dunno whereabouts you are in the world though, but I'm on the other side of the planet to where the servers are located, I lag like a bitch whenever I have to do precisely timed stuff. Thats why my guy dies to Hilla a lot.

Also scuttlebutt says that those upgraded empress items will have their potentials reset, even though they'll keep any scroll bonuses applied to them. Which sucks if you've spent money cubing them up to unique or legendary (like me)

Also, the more RED coins the merrier, i want more sets of revolution gear for my alts.

Mephiston fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Dec 18, 2013

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Meph, they keep potential RANK, but not the specific lines. So if your weapon is Unique before, it will still be unique after. Just with different lines.

Also, Evan books can now be bought cheaply for mesos! Evan card is really good, I barely ever need to use mp pots on any of my chars.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Yeah, I should have elaborated on that but thats what i meant by "potentials reset". Its still pretty lovely if you have an ideal potential (which i do). Only way I'd do it is if i had a whole bunch of cubes sitting in my inventory as a backup.

Also ha, unscheduled maintenance. Called it!

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

quote:

We will be performing an unscheduled maintenance on December 18, 2013 to fix an exploit that impacts the economy. It will last approximately TBD.

I like this line. It's a nice line.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Okay so trip report on zero so far: It's pretty amazing. It plays entirely different to any other maple character, in so much as it feels like its part of an rpg, with proper story and no having to run around everywhere trying to figure out what to do.

Highly recommend people give it a go, if they find the idea of grinding the same content over boring. Don't get me wrong, its still roughly the same content, theme wise, but its broken down into manageable parts and hubs, with a clear direction towards what you need to be doing.

Also there is a repeat compensation of last saturdays hot time today, so get in for a free job advancement coin (saves you 10 mil mesos), an overall with an epic potential on it, and some other neat stuff.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
^ This sounds exactly like something I'd love playing. I didn't exactly like "grind here until you are strong enough to grind over here now"

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

http://orangemushroom.wordpress.com/2013/12/19/kms-ver-1-2-206-maplestory-you-i-origin/#more-8675

The single most important part of it: "You can now put any consumable boxes on quickslots instead of having to manually click them one by one."

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Let's not forget they're removing the zakum jump quest requirement, and there's a party matching system coming (not that people will use it, jerks)

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I killed normal Gollux, Yaaaaay. I think I remember reading that the quests don't come back daily, so it sounds like it's gonna be a while before I can afford a nice set of earrings and the scrolls to upgrade them.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Unskippable creation anime cutscenes make my hidden love of this game even harder to swallow. Also, what are the best stat guides floating around? Little scared of trying a new class and then putting points into initially strong but actually terrible abilities.

Lyons
Mar 6, 2012
I usually stick with ayumilove guides.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Most classes as long as you max the passive boosts and buffs you're fine, since your primary attack at level 100+ will be a 4th job attack, and you have more than enough SP to max everything in 4th job. Ayumi's guides are good, so I second the recommendation.

Also, a lot of these coin shop events have had SP resets in them, so with some event grinding you can fix mistakes if they're too costly.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
This game. How horribly behind is EMS right now? I'd love to jump in back on GMS, but west coast servers mean 1 second delay per item pickup and about 300-500 ms ping.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

As far as I know, EMS sucks and nobody plays it. If you jump in right now, there's an event wherein they give you a free pet and pet-related equips so you never have to worry about picking poo poo up again! Until it runs out in a month, of course, but then you just buy a new one, right? :pseudo:

But yeah, I'm also playing from europe and it's pretty playable like this.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Arzachel posted:

This game. How horribly behind is EMS right now? I'd love to jump in back on GMS, but west coast servers mean 1 second delay per item pickup and about 300-500 ms ping.

I play from AU with about a 300ish ping and half a second to a second for item pickup delays, and it's tolerable, provided you dont have to do any time or precision based stuff (jump quests :argh: )

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Sorry for double post, but I'm booting out some more alts to make room for new guys. If you log in and you're suddenly unguilded, either post in here or on irc and I will either reinvite you back, or add you to the altguild where it doesnt matter if you dont play it often.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

This is my new staff:

Unfortunately, I failed both of my 5 star enhance scrolls. :(

In total I used 14 50% magic attack scrolls, 2 50% golden hammers, and 2 50% 5-star enhancement scrolls. Summing it all up, 12/18 50% worked. I'll take it, I guess. I can enhance it a few more times with the protection scrolls from the RED shop.

Notice how much range it gives even with crappy potential; it's definitely nice!

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I'm having godawful luck with sweetwater stuff. 33 runs of Rosa and half a dozen of Herb Town and not a single one. I can't kill the leviathan yet, unfortunately.

My friend has like 15 alt accounts that he can collect hot times and other gifts on, so we had plenty of the free protection scrolls to land all the RED 50%s on it and the enhancements. I did hardly any of it myself.

Coming from my half-scrolled empress fan, it was a damage range increase of around 33K. And yet fully buffed my damage range only comes to 25% of what the aforementioned friend's is. (Also this fan is basically my only item of significant value)

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I've found a Sweetwater Chain Sword (Xenon weapon) which I traded for 300m and some 12% all stat 6% STR earrings. Last night, I also found a Sweetwater Hat. I bought the staff for 500m.

I can't kill Levythan either... :saddowns:

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
Downloaded through steam.

When I launch the game, log in, it starts downloading some patches.

Gets to about 1/3 of the way through the download then crashes. C++ Error. Any ideas on how to fix?

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Also downloaded through steam. Rolling a thief because that's what I remember.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

EvilElmo posted:

Downloaded through steam.

When I launch the game, log in, it starts downloading some patches.

Gets to about 1/3 of the way through the download then crashes. C++ Error. Any ideas on how to fix?

Dumb question but is your ms visual c++ up to date? you can check via windows updates to see if theres one in there waiting to be applied.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I found these on my trade voyages today:

They both dropped from Red Grosso Polpo (Grosso Polpo+?); he has more hp than Livyatan, but they give you a much larger time to kill him. Around two minutes, I think? He stuns a lot, which is really annoying. I didn't manage to kill him my first try, but I did the second and third tries. Even with a Wizard potion (+20 matt, from NLC), an Extreme Blue Potion (+30 matt, from MPE), an Extreme Green Potion (boosts attacks speed (not sure it did anything), from MPE), Echo of Hero, and 2 uses of For Liberty (the Resistance 200 hyper), I still barely managed to kill him in time. Still, I think my tenacity payed off! :)

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
That Claw is awesome. What the hell are these things even worth?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

In Bera for the fan, the day they were first available people had them in shops for 2 bil. The next day, they dropped to 700m, and the day after that they were 300m. Today I see one for 80m. They're apparently really common, I just have really bad luck getting them, so they're deflating like mad.

Edit: is the red grosso in the map past Herb Town?

Double edit: and just after I post this, I do a run of Herb Town and get the crossbow off the green grosso.

Nighthand fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 1, 2014

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Horizontal Tree posted:

That Claw is awesome. What the hell are these things even worth?

Theres one on the fm for 600m.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Yeah, red Grosso is in Rien Harbor. I've read that there's a Livyatan+ as well.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Kill the ferrets grab the spears oh no we broke the spears go do it again!

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Step 1: Grind Alchemy to level 11 (Craftsman)
Step 2: Gather the materials to make a scroll extractor
Step 3: Set up scroll extractor to make some cash over night
Step 4: Have game taken down due to item dupe / meso exploit
Step 5: Log in and find yourself trade blocked due to, presumably, someone spending duped mesos on extracting scrolls

Can't buy or sell items from NPCs, can't trade or drop anything, can't use the cash shop... No reason to log on now, I guess.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Nighthand posted:

Step 1: Grind Alchemy to level 11 (Craftsman)
Step 2: Gather the materials to make a scroll extractor
Step 3: Set up scroll extractor to make some cash over night
Step 4: Have game taken down due to item dupe / meso exploit
Step 5: Log in and find yourself trade blocked due to, presumably, someone spending duped mesos on extracting scrolls

Can't buy or sell items from NPCs, can't trade or drop anything, can't use the cash shop... No reason to log on now, I guess.

A dupe method was made public and Nexon... banned/tradeblocked some random people and called it a day it seems. No rollbacks or anything.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Did they fix the exploit or whatever?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

They presumably fixed the exploit that had to do with free market shops. The script that gets you infinite rewards for the Yut/Kite games is still active as far as I know. They banned some of the people who used the exploit, left some of them alone, presumably tradeblocked everyone who glanced at the free market in the last two days (and probably anyone who had their meso value change), and god knows what else they're doing.

All this to avoid a rollback, because Nexon hates rollbacks.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

No, people hate rollbacks. Nexon hates people whinging about "OMG CONSTANT ROLLBACKS WHERES OUR COMPENSATION" that inevitably happens afterwards. There was a massive shitfest over the dupe hack rollback last update and honestly, this is a better result in my opinion.

And if you get wrongly tradeblocked send in a ticket to Nexon, they usually unblock you pretty quickly and give you something free for it anyway.

e: Here, read this

Mephiston fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jan 4, 2014

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Wow, Meph defending nexon. I guess Hell is located around New England atm? :v:

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Mephiston posted:

No, people hate rollbacks. Nexon hates people whinging about "OMG CONSTANT ROLLBACKS WHERES OUR COMPENSATION" that inevitably happens afterwards. There was a massive shitfest over the dupe hack rollback last update and honestly, this is a better result in my opinion.

Nexon are unable to purge duped items and mesos and have a hilariously poor record of banning the offenders AND let a public dupe exploit run wild for a few days. People dislike rollbacks but I'll take a guess ans say that they dislike Nexon being horribly incompetent and having to resort to a day+ long rollbacks to unbreak their game more. Going off Southperry, the dupe let a single person get 10b and a full inventory of items in about 15-30min and the majority aren't going to get banned because Nexon. You can imagine the effect it'll have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Arzachel posted:

Nexon are unable to purge duped items and mesos and have a hilariously poor record of banning the offenders AND let a public dupe exploit run wild for a few days. People dislike rollbacks but I'll take a guess ans say that they dislike Nexon being horribly incompetent and having to resort to a day+ long rollbacks to unbreak their game more. Going off Southperry, the dupe let a single person get 10b and a full inventory of items in about 15-30min and the majority aren't going to get banned because Nexon. You can imagine the effect it'll have.

No, I'm fully aware of the impact it could have. Which is why i prefer they track down that poo poo rather than just rollback and basically ignore the issue. Also, southperry is full of shitlords so i take everything they say with a grain of salt.

Additionally

Further proof hell has frozen over, and is located somewhere in the northeast US.

• Locked thread