Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008
Is Moroccan food any good? I'm moving there in January, and know nothing about it aside from couscous and tajines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008

Florida Betty posted:

I asked my (Algerian) husband, and he said Moroccans, Algerians, and Tunisians all use "saha" at least sometimes. But he's from Annaba, which is pretty far from Morocco, so who knows.

Shukran is said all the time, in addition to a million God phrases that are used to express thanks. bsHha literally translates to "to your health," and is usually said to someone after they eat, work out, buy something, get a shave, etc.

By the way, if any of you are in Marrakech and are looking for a nicer place to eat(~100dh/person), check out kechmarra. Probably some of the better western food I've had here with a dope rooftop eating area.

And Wikipedia doesn't have articles in Moroccan Arabic because it's not really a written language.

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008
Couple of quick suggestions-

If staying in Essaouira, Riad Maktoub is a good shout- 120dh for a two person room.

Taghazout is a little beach town about 40 minutes from Agadir. It's mostly popular with Moroccan tourists, and is awesome if you have a group and are looking for a low key weekend. Not a whole lot in terms of sights, but there's a ton of cool beachside cafes, as well as a really nice walk along the coast. Seven of us rented a house for 600dh a night, although the house could have easily fit fifteen. If you're with a small group, you should be able to rent a house for 400dh a night. Bring money before you go, as there's no ATM in town.

Mama Mia and Kech Marra are both good non-Moroccan restaurants in Marrakech - take this with a grain of salt, as my standards for a decent restaurant meal have plummeted.

People tend to overlook Rabat, but it's definitely worth a day or two. As far as Moroccan cities go, it's about as low key as you can get- very little harassment, good public transportation, and decent restaurants. Go to Dar Naji, and ask for the rifisa: it's not on the menu, but it'll probably be some of the better Moroccan food you'll have at a restaurant.

• Locked thread