Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Utterly Irrelephant
Sep 6, 2007
ive got a rocket in my pocket

cyberia posted:

Bean poisoning might just be the gooniest way someone could kill themselves.

http://maddox.xmission.com/c.cgi?u=manly_suicide&quot%3B&gt%3BIf

On another note, I'm in love with a little molasses in my beans now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I'm skimming throughout the thread, but anyone have recommendations for beans to make for burritos?

Maybe something I could make for a meal with cornbread and then put in burritos later?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

QuarkMartial posted:

I'm skimming throughout the thread, but anyone have recommendations for beans to make for burritos?

Maybe something I could make for a meal with cornbread and then put in burritos later?

I think you might be looking for something like the first beans recipe in the OP or the borracho beans in the 2nd post.
Note that It's economical to cook a big batch and then freeze portions for later.

Utterly Irrelephant
Sep 6, 2007
ive got a rocket in my pocket

QuarkMartial posted:

My go to is pinto with peppers, garlic and onion.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

I think you might be looking for something like the first beans recipe in the OP or the borracho beans in the 2nd post.
Note that It's economical to cook a big batch and then freeze portions for later.

See, I had that in the back off my mind but wasn't sure. I'll just try them and go from there.

r00kit Cavalry
Sep 25, 2016

by zen death robot

QuarkMartial posted:

yakman y u cheat at tribe d00d?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3791272

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
It's not fancy but pintos with cumin, smoked paprika, chili powder, onion, garlic, and whatever hot sauce you prefer is pretty good in burritos.

say tan
Sep 25, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I made red beans and rice this weekend and it was a huge hit. I used small red beans and not whatever brand kidney beans, because I am a heathen. I also added trinity, ham hocks and chicken stock and they came out amazing and several people stole containers to go. Thanks, bean thread!

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
In the recipe in the OP, is that regular salt or kosher? I erred on the side of caution and went with kosher so I can add more to my mix before tossing it in tomorrow.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Ended up being fine. More than fine. Delicious. And my wife made broccoli cheese cornbread.

And I've had three servings. I can't stop eating. So good.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Whoops, sorry for the late reply. Good question - I think the original recipe probably called for regular salt, as it was written when men were men and salt was salt and all that.

Glad to hear it turned out good! My step dad will be proud to know that his family recipe made it all the way across the internet and onto a stranger's plate.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
No worries! It was really good.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Posting again, but it's been like a week.

Made the beans in the op. I took some of the extra liquid (I had a lot) and used it to make some rice. Rice, some beans and goodie bits from the beans (onions, hock, etc), a little salsa, and a little cheese all rolled up in a tortilla makes for a delicious burrito lunch. Thought I'd share.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
My bean soups are basically whatever I have + beans. Many are basically vegetable stew + a lot of beans. But I make bean soup 3-4X/month and make enough for a week.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

QuarkMartial posted:

Pintos. Chop up an onion, toss in some garlic, add salt when they're fully cooked. Maybe a little paprika or a hamhock. Soak overnight, bring to a boil and then cover and simmer for a couple hours.

Cook them until they're toothsome, then grab a potato masher and smash them around until they thicken up a bit. Remember that they get thicker when they cool down so don't be afraid to add a little water when reheating.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Great Northern beans don't make for very good Boston baked beans. Jacob's cattle and soldier beans for life.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

QuarkMartial posted:

Ended up being fine. More than fine. Delicious. And my wife made broccoli cheese cornbread.

And I've had three servings. I can't stop eating. So good.

Do you have a recipe for the broccoli cheese cornbread? That sounds amazing.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Just made a big ol pot of black beans with diced carrots, onions, and celery. Hello dinner for half the week.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

cyberia posted:

Do you have a recipe for the broccoli cheese cornbread? That sounds amazing.

Sure! I'll dig around and post it in the morning.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Broccoli Cornbread:

1 to 1.5 sticks of butter
2 packages Jiffy cornbread mix
1 10oz package frozen, chopped broccoli, thawed but not drained
1 chopped onion
1 10oz carton cottage cheese
4 eggs
1/2 Cup shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 325F. Melt butter in a 13x9 pan. Mix together all other ingredients except cheese (do not drain broccoli). Pour batter over melted butter. Do not stir. Sprinkle top with cheddar cheese. Bake at 325F for approximately 30 minutes.

Now, that's how the recipe came to us, but we prefer more cheese than what's in the recipe. We mix in that 1/2 cup of cheese into the batter (so the recipe then becomes "melt butter, mix everything else"), then sprinkle some additional cheese on top before putting it in the oven.

E: Just asked the wife, she said definitely thaw it. No clue where I got the notion to not thaw it.

briefcasefullof fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 11, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
You'd probably wanna thaw the broccoli first, because frozen veggies might have extra water in them.

I do a similar recipe except with diced fresh jalapenos and a generous helping of shredded cheddar cheese.

That's a hell of a lot of butter for me though lol

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I made way too many beans last night because I forgot how they pretty much double in size. I'm thinking of making refried beans. If I have cilantro rice and refried beans cooked with bacon grease, is there a good cheap extra protein if I end up wanting it?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Crispy fried egg.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I made way too many beans last night because I forgot how they pretty much double in size. I'm thinking of making refried beans. If I have cilantro rice and refried beans cooked with bacon grease, is there a good cheap extra protein if I end up wanting it?

I would think pretty much anything would work. Shrimp, chicken, shredded pork, shredded beef?

You could also freeze some. I freeze mine in cubes so they're easy to portion later.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
Here's a trusty recipe for a small batch of Indian-style chickpeas I thought I'd share. I always have garlic on hand and ginger in the freezer, so it's almost entirely a pantry item recipe. It makes about four servings, easy to stretch out with rice, portion and freeze.

Ingredients
  • 1 cup chickpeas, soaked overnight
  • 1 tsp. cumin seed
  • 1 tbsp. oil (canola, ghee, whatever)
  • 1 large yellow onion, diced
  • 1 inch ginger, grated
  • 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp. red chili powder (cayenne, crushed red pepper, or paprika if you don't like spicy food)
  • 1 tsp. ground coriander seed
  • ½ tsp. turmeric
  • ½ tsp. salt or to taste
  • 1 grated tomato or to taste (I either use a large tomato or two plum tomatoes; I need to figure out how much tomato paste to use to make this a true pantry item recipe)
Instructions
  1. Soak and boil chickpeas for an hour or two, until tender-ish (they will have a chance to cook more later)
  2. Meanwhile, brown cumin seeds in oil (I think until aromatic — you don't want to burn them)
  3. Add diced onion to oil and cumin seed and cook until the onion is translucent
  4. Add ginger, garlic, the other spices, and your grated tomato mixture and simmer on low covered for 15 minutes. You can add a bit of water if necessary to prevent burning.
  5. Add chickpeas to pot and water to cover. Simmer until chickpeas are tender and sauce is thick. It's okay to keep adding water until the beans reach your desired consistency. For me, I use a 5-cup pot and fill it to the top after I add the beans. Maybe slightly overkill, and takes a few hours, but my chickpeas always turn out pretty tender.
I think you can fiddle around with the recipe some, but that's the general idea. I got it from a coworker from Jaipur, and I rewrote it a bit (more tomato, grated instead of chopped; more garlic, and more water at the end), but I'd also take suggestions.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I'm doing pretty much that in a pressure cooker on delay to just have to make rice after skiing. Just plopped a goodly spoon of tomato paste in. Looking forward to it.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Butch Cassidy posted:

I'm doing pretty much that in a pressure cooker on delay to just have to make rice after skiing. Just plopped a goodly spoon of tomato paste in. Looking forward to it.

Oh, cool! Hope it doesn't suck!

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

The kitchen smelled really good when we got home and fired up the rice cooker. Could have used some acidity but a bit of hot sauce took care of things. Using fresh or tinned tomato in place of paste may also help. But it hit the spot, went well with a beer, and we'd all gladly eat it again.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Butch Cassidy posted:

Crispy fried egg.

This is the best advice.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Butch Cassidy posted:

The kitchen smelled really good when we got home and fired up the rice cooker. Could have used some acidity but a bit of hot sauce took care of things. Using fresh or tinned tomato in place of paste may also help. But it hit the spot, went well with a beer, and we'd all gladly eat it again.

Glad to hear it! The guy who gave me the recipe said I could use chopped tomato OR dissolved tamarind paste. It always turned out a little too sweet and sour when I used only tamarind paste, so I gave up using it, but I wonder if just a pinch with tomato might be a good combination to try in the future.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I always put tomato in my bean soup but never paste, like you say, too sweet. I prefer crushed.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Over the holidays, my dad gave me a chili mix - a bag of rear end Kickin' Chili Fixins. Beans are a mix of black and pinto beans. I soaked them overnight and now I've got them simmering so I can have chili tonight. I'm a little excited because I've never really done anything other than canned chili and I've never cooked beans like this before.

I mean, I know as a general rule going from scratch is usually best, but hey, I'm not turning down free spicy chili.

Update: Everything is simmering now. So far, not a whole lot of flavor... It needs more of "everything". It comes with powdered habanero, which I left out because my wife doesn't care for super spicy things like I do. I'll add some to my own bowls, along with some ghost pepper sauce and sliced jalapenos to bring the heat up to an adequate level.

Update 2: Still bland af. Added some of the powdered habanero, and then a healthy portion of liquid smoke, garlic, chili, and onion powders, and cumin. That seemed to give it a little more flavor.

briefcasefullof fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 8, 2017

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

QuarkMartial posted:

Over the holidays, my dad gave me a chili mix - a bag of rear end Kickin' Chili Fixins. Beans are a mix of black and pinto beans. I soaked them overnight and now I've got them simmering so I can have chili tonight. I'm a little excited because I've never really done anything other than canned chili and I've never cooked beans like this before.

I mean, I know as a general rule going from scratch is usually best, but hey, I'm not turning down free spicy chili.

Update: Everything is simmering now. So far, not a whole lot of flavor... It needs more of "everything". It comes with powdered habanero, which I left out because my wife doesn't care for super spicy things like I do. I'll add some to my own bowls, along with some ghost pepper sauce and sliced jalapenos to bring the heat up to an adequate level.

Update 2: Still bland af. Added some of the powdered habanero, and then a healthy portion of liquid smoke, garlic, chili, and onion powders, and cumin. That seemed to give it a little more flavor.
Did you add any salt?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Did you add any salt?

The recipe called for 2 tsp salt, all I have is kosher so I only added 1 tsp. It also calls for undrained cans of stewed tomatoes and beef broth, both of which I though would add enough salt. Maybe I should add more? It's nearly a gallon of chili.

E: Added more salt and cumin. That did the trick.

briefcasefullof fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 9, 2017

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Kosher salt is actually less dense than table salt, so generally you need to use more of it, not less.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Whoops. Ah well, it turned out pretty good. I'd just do it from scratch next time. After all, this was just a mix of black and pinto beans with some seasonings that you add your own meat to.

Still went down deliciously with some sliced jalapenos and hot sauce.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Usually to make something taste good the trick is to add more salt.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Usually to make something taste good the trick is to add more salt.

every now and then i like to set out multiple tasting bowls of stuff and do a salt scale, including oversalty, just to make sure i know when to stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Salt is tough. I was taught as a kid that salt is a "flavor binder" so I should only ever use just enough until I could taste the other ingredients that I *meant* to bring out the taste of.

Nowadays, if you don't have absurd levels of salt, then a lot of prepacked foods are literally inedible. Salt both covers the tastes of a lot of horriad stuff from automated processing (metallic flavors etc) as well as encouraging the flavors of more desirable stuff.

• Locked thread