Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Just wanted to share that I am making the GWS New Orleans Red Beans and Rice and my condo smells amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
A couple weekends ago I used up all my old chicken spines and wingtips making a heavy-duty stock, then I used some of the stock as the main liquid in some small heirloom red beans whose variety I cannot remember. The beans owned and my house also smelled good. Cook some beans.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Some of the beans burned to the bottom of my dutch oven :(

Utterly Irrelephant
Sep 6, 2007
ive got a rocket in my pocket
I love beans. I've been eating them daily lately. I just throw some beans in a pot of salted water for a bit, then add some garlic onion, thyme and stuff. I don't soak them, and they are always done in around 90 minutes. Should I soak them? I probably wont because I'm lazy, but would they taste better?

I like to mix some red, black and pinto beans in the same pot. Am I breaking some culinary rule? I feel like the combo is better than just the individual beans alone.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
My uncle once told me a story about a hermit that was an old man when my uncle was a boy in the 1930's. According to the story this hermit would make a cauldron of beans in the winter with squirrel, rabbit, onions, celery, whatever he could get; and leave it outside to freeze during the winter. Couple times a day he would come out and chip off chunks and warm it up. I'm sure there was a point to the story besides that but I was a teenager and all I remember is thinking how awesome it would be to have a big pot of beans frozen outside your door to eat everyday. My bean love affair goes way back.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Egorger Le Chef posted:

I love beans. I've been eating them daily lately. I just throw some beans in a pot of salted water for a bit, then add some garlic onion, thyme and stuff. I don't soak them, and they are always done in around 90 minutes. Should I soak them? I probably wont because I'm lazy, but would they taste better?

I like to mix some red, black and pinto beans in the same pot. Am I breaking some culinary rule? I feel like the combo is better than just the individual beans alone.

If you like how they come out, who cares. I sometimes have problems with uneven doneness inside the beans if I don't soak (I want them creamy all the way through but not falling apart) unless I use the pressure cooker. My only worry with mixing the beans like that is they might finish cooking at different times, leading some to be over and others under.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
A few years ago I had a really good chickpea salad with little pieces of pepper and onion and maybe there was some herb and a citrus element. It had a nice but indistinct dressing and the beans were nice and creamy. It was part of an airplane meal, ironically. Anybody have a favorite chickpea salad recipe?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

A few years ago I had a really good chickpea salad with little pieces of pepper and onion and maybe there was some herb and a citrus element. It had a nice but indistinct dressing and the beans were nice and creamy. It was part of an airplane meal, ironically. Anybody have a favorite chickpea salad recipe?

Today I made a chickpea salad. I briefly steamed some sliced garden beets and carrots, chilled them, and then mixed them with cucumbers, baby lettuce, and beet greens. Dressing was nice olive oil, balsamic, and a bit of citron marmalade.

I forgot the chick peas - they're sitting on my loving counter right now and your post reminded me

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Balela is really good, but it has black beans in it as well.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/218648/balela-salad/

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

I usually add chickpeas to tabbouleh to make it into a full meal on its own. Don't skimp on the parsley.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

These are tasty:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/10/chickpea-salad-cumin-celery-easy-recipe.html

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/01/vegan-marinated-kale-chickpea-salad-sumac-onions-recipe.html

I haven't made this, but it looks good:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/02/roasted-chickpea-kale-salad-sun-dried-tomato-vinaigrette-herb.html

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

This one is good. Ignore the cucumber as I just threw it into the same container when I left for lunch.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Thanks for all the responses, guys. I'll add them to the OP recipe directory some time.

Utterly Irrelephant
Sep 6, 2007
To prepare for the hurricane, I'm cooking a huge pot of beans.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Egorger Le Chef posted:

To prepare for the hurricane, I'm cooking a huge pot of beans.

Sounds like a solid plan.

Make sure to save some dry beans as currency for an inescapable florida apocalypse scenario

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I made flalafel tonight out of desi chick peas. Was alright. Not good proportional to the effort, but enough to satisfy my craving in my falafel desert.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

A couple weekends ago I used up all my old chicken spines and wingtips making a heavy-duty stock, then I used some of the stock as the main liquid in some small heirloom red beans whose variety I cannot remember. The beans owned and my house also smelled good. Cook some beans.

My folks travel often from VA to SW PA and back. They stop at an Amish store on their trips and bring me awesome flour and, just recently, heirloom beans. I'm excited. I am right now working my way through a couple pounds of pink beans Food Lion had on clearance. Scored for maybe 50c/lb. They are the beans people are accustomed to for canned beans, so I usually make bbq beans out of 'em. My wife loves them. Although I didn't have any tonight that weren't already in the form of refried or bean dip, so I pulled a pint of frozen pigeon peas I did a few months ago for tonight's dinner of bbq brisket. The peas were a carribbean/spanish-y preparation meant to be served as "rice and peas" but they went great with smoked brisket and cornbread.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Wifey does a great chickpea/tuna/celery/shallot salad with a nice lemony vinaigrette. It's been a while, memory faded a bit. I'll ask her.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Thwt sounds delicious and my birthday is coming up. You should use that fact to guilt her into sharing her recipe.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
I want to trade my 96FS for a 92. So, probably not.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Does anyone know why, when I cook pinto beans (usually after 24 hours of soaking) the water turns dark opaque gray, develops skin on the surface, and smells like poo poo?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

pr0k posted:

I want to trade my 96FS for a 92. So, probably not.

The 92 is wicked awesome and my vote for best thing ever made with a hilariously longer frame life than a 96 so you have my blessing for what it's worth.

So you should cranberry bean up a pot of ribollita to set the tone of cheaply fed Italians.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Jewel Repetition posted:

Does anyone know why, when I cook pinto beans (usually after 24 hours of soaking) the water turns dark opaque gray, develops skin on the surface, and smells like poo poo?

Soaking too long and they are starting to ferment. I soak mine about 16 hours.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

wormil posted:

Soaking too long and they are starting to ferment. I soak mine about 16 hours.

Thanks. I don't know if it was the beans or something else, but I had one of those nights where I'm in a pitch black bathroom, sitting directly on the toilet bowl, completely naked, broke out in a cold sweat, hoping I never see another human being again.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Butch Cassidy posted:

The 92 is wicked awesome and my vote for best thing ever made with a hilariously longer frame life than a 96 so you have my blessing for what it's worth.

So you should cranberry bean up a pot of ribollita to set the tone of cheaply fed Italians.

The 96 is a great piece, I've had it 20 years maybe? I've just decided I like 9mm better.

And ribolita! I didn't know it had a name. I've always just called that "my kinda tuscanish bean soup thing." I usually use kale instead of spinach though. I love kale in soup.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Jewel Repetition posted:

Did you give them a good washing and pick out bad ones? Beans can be pretty dirty (like literal dirt from processing and stuff like that). And occasionally you get some that have gone bad or a pebble.

When I'd soak beans overnight and then run out of time to cook them or got lazy, I'd just put then in the fridge after the first 12 hrs or so. That way they won't start going too crazy. Couldn't hurt to change the water as well.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Jewel Repetition posted:

Thanks. I don't know if it was the beans or something else, but I had one of those nights where I'm in a pitch black bathroom, sitting directly on the toilet bowl, completely naked, broke out in a cold sweat, hoping I never see another human being again.

First time on bath salts, then?

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Yeah, it wasn't the beans. When cooking dried beans you always get a bit of scum on the surface and it's not appetizing. It doesn't hurt you or anything, but it's not tasty. If you leave it in you get a muddy taste. It's protein but broken down to tasteless foamy amino acids. There's fuckin plenty of protein left in the bean. You skim that poo poo off and throw it down the sink with a big fuckin steel spoon. Same as cooking stock.

If your beans smell like poo poo they're not beans; that's rabbit poo poo. Go buy beans at a store. Or they're ancient and rancid. They should just smell like fuckin beans, man.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

pr0k posted:

Yeah, it wasn't the beans. When cooking dried beans you always get a bit of scum on the surface and it's not appetizing. It doesn't hurt you or anything, but it's not tasty. If you leave it in you get a muddy taste. It's protein but broken down to tasteless foamy amino acids. There's fuckin plenty of protein left in the bean. You skim that poo poo off and throw it down the sink with a big fuckin steel spoon. Same as cooking stock.

If your beans smell like poo poo they're not beans; that's rabbit poo poo. Go buy beans at a store. Or they're ancient and rancid. They should just smell like fuckin beans, man.

It's definitely possible that they're ancient, they take forever to cook even in purified water after full soaking, and some of them are shriveled. I got them for like two cents per pound from a rural store.

I know exactly what you mean by "they should smell like beans" and I like the smell of beans cooking normally, but with these there was something else.

Jewel Repetition fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Sep 4, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Jewel Repetition posted:

It's definitely possible that they're ancient, they take forever to cook even in purified water after full soaking, and some of them are shriveled. I got them for like two cents per pound from a rural store.

I know exactly what you mean by "they should smell like beans" and I like the smell of beans cooking normally, but with these there was something else.
If they don't smell like beans don't loving eat them. Beans do go rancid, and cooked beans go bad a lot faster than many other things you might eat. If you eat something that smells off and spend a night praying to the porcelain god you're a dumbass, not some kind of canary in a coal mine saving us from dusty beans, bro

Beans aren't like meat where it can smell a bit off and you can spice it up and ignore it. If your beans don't smell righteous then flush them ASAP

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

coyo7e posted:

If they don't smell like beans don't loving eat them. Beans do go rancid, and cooked beans go bad a lot faster than many other things you might eat. If you eat something that smells off and spend a night praying to the porcelain god you're a dumbass, not some kind of canary in a coal mine saving us from dusty beans, bro

Lol what? I wasn't trying to save anyone other than myself.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Cooked beans go bad faster than other stuff? How long does a container of cooked beans last? I push them for a while but I didn't think they were much more perishable than, say, rice or something.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I've eaten beans for a little longer than a week without seeing/smelling/experiencing any problems. You could also save portions of cooked beans by freezing them probably.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I made another batch of the general store beans, this time soaked for 14 hours covered instead of 24 hours partially uncovered, and they were much better. Not as much flavor as I'd like but that could just be due to their age. So thanks for the suggestion.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I had another stygian night, worse than the first, but I don't know whether it was the beans. It started about two hours after I ate them, it seems like that's not long enough to have digested them but without going into details some of the digestion process was skipped.

Utterly Irrelephant
Sep 6, 2007
I'd find a new bean source

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Are you bringing the beans to a rolling boil for at least 10 minutes 30 minutes or so? If you're cooking them in a slow cooker at low heat, then the beans could still have some toxins. Only high heat can destroy them.

I would guess 2 hours could be enough if the beans had toxins present, but probably too short for infection to set in.

I'd buy new beans, since there's a history of misfortune so you might as well play it safe.

Eeyo fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 18, 2016

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Eeyo posted:

Are you bringing the beans to a rolling boil for at least 10 minutes or so? If you're cooking them in a slow cooker at low heat, then the beans could still have some toxins. Only high heat can destroy them.

I would guess 2 hours could be enough if the beans had toxins present, but probably too short for infection to set in.

I'd buy new beans, since there's a history of misfortune so you might as well play it safe.

I don't know if it was a full rolling boil but I had the heat high enough that the water was slightly bubbling whenever I took off the lid for at least four hours, maybe five.

It wouldn't be much of a waste to toss the remaining dry beans from this batch since they were so cheap, it just bothers me that there's no logical reason this could be happening.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Well it could be the toxins, apparently it's 30 minutes at 100 C you need to destroy it. So if it was sub-boiling and a little undercooked it might just be that. Symptoms appear within a few hours, are gastrointestinal, and last for a few hours after that apparently. So maybe you got a crop of poorly grown beans that contained a lot of them to start with, and they didn't get cooked well enough. For red kidney beans, which contain a lot of the Phytohaemagglutnin, apparently you can get sick with half a dozen beans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Bean poisoning might just be the gooniest way someone could kill themselves.

• Locked thread