Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Do you have any recipe you like? I see a bunch of different styles just googling for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

wormil posted:

Texas Chainsaw Massacre Dinner : Bean, Beet, and Sausage stew. Onion, celery, red bell pepper, some kind of mildly spicy green pepper, and 2 small beets, softened; then added tomatoes, jalapenos, lentils, navy beans and Kielbasa. Okay, I know it looks like a horror movie but trust me, it is delicious -- earthy, hearty, sweet and savory.

this is pretty much a real America cousin of borscht, and now I want.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Thanks, I'd never heard of borscht. No one else in the family would eat it. My wife's idea of soup is Campbells. My youngest daughter said it was too spicy but I think she was put off by the color, she's never been a fan of red foods (in her mind, red=spicy). My oldest daughter decided she doesn't like beets. My in-laws are coming to visit, die hard Irish Americans, and I'm sure they've never eaten anything like it so I plan on making it again while they are here. I'm always secretly glad when no else likes my concoctions because then I get to eat it all week.

Off topic but I have more beets and a butternut squash, gonna make soup from that next. (edit; it is delicious!)

wormil fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 2, 2016

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Do you have any recipe you like? I see a bunch of different styles just googling for it.

I usually just go all Tamar Adler on them and use whatever white beans I have on hand prepared simply as they are a side. Usually go for great northern beans as they are always on the shelf at the local grocer and move quickish to be fresh enough to soften well and consistently. Simple beans can be great but are all about the few ingredients being quality.

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Tuscan-Style-White-Beans

Is a good base to work from.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

wormil posted:

Thanks, I'd never heard of borscht. No one else in the family would eat it. My wife's idea of soup is Campbells. My youngest daughter said it was too spicy but I think she was put off by the color, she's never been a fan of red foods (in her mind, red=spicy). My oldest daughter decided she doesn't like beets. My in-laws are coming to visit, die hard Irish Americans, and I'm sure they've never eaten anything like it so I plan on making it again while they are here. I'm always secretly glad when no else likes my concoctions because then I get to eat it all week.

Off topic but I have more beets and a butternut squash, gonna make soup from that next. (edit; it is delicious!)
Yeah Borscht is a thing. Beets rule, although my family who think that they need to cook borscht "to preserve their culture" or some poo poo are all terrible cooks and they subscribe to the trader joe's style of cooking. I'm planting a bunch of beets this year to see what kind fo stuff I can come up with.

Butternut squash really doesn't need anything else though when you cook it - they're flavorful enough that it's almost a waste to add them into something else, imho. There are plenty of lesser squash which need assloads of brown sugar and butter etc to make them palatable, which I would use in a soup before a butternut. ;)

My family from the midwest make amazing pickled beets, I'm literally planning on going to Nebraska again just to glean the recipe from my great-aunts etc. ;)

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

I hated beets and borscht for a long time. Now I love borscht but still don't care for beets much.

For years as a kid, pickled beets used to trigger the worst goddamn migraines.

anywho, I've got buttloads of cannellini and chickpeas (canned). Ideas to switch it up?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
You could make some rad hummus with those chickpeas

SavTargaryen
Sep 11, 2011

coyo7e posted:

You could make some rad hummus with those chickpeas

Yeah, the correct answer with 'I have chickpeas' is either hummus or roasting them with some red pepper, garlic, and paprika. Maybe some sea salt if you're feelin' like the sodium levels are low.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

SavTargaryen posted:

Yeah, the correct answer with 'I have chickpeas' is either hummus or roasting them with some red pepper, garlic, and paprika. Maybe some sea salt if you're feelin' like the sodium levels are low.

yeah hummus is definitely on my to-do since I've got so drat many. this also sounds pretty interesting too! Canned will hold up to roasting well?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

THE MACHO MAN posted:

yeah hummus is definitely on my to-do since I've got so drat many. this also sounds pretty interesting too! Canned will hold up to roasting well?

Toss in a bit of oil, salt, cumin, and pepper, and go at 350 for 25 minutes. They'll hold up great.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

wormil posted:

Texas Chainsaw Massacre Dinner : Bean, Beet, and Sausage stew. Onion, celery, red bell pepper, some kind of mildly spicy green pepper, and 2 small beets, softened; then added tomatoes, jalapenos, lentils, navy beans and Kielbasa. Okay, I know it looks like a horror movie but trust me, it is delicious -- earthy, hearty, sweet and savory.

You got a half-rear end recipe for that? It looks delicious, and I love beets.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Liquid Communism posted:

You got a half-rear end recipe for that? It looks delicious, and I love beets.

Half rear end is about right, I tend to make it up as I go along but this is close.

1 med onion
1 celery stick
1 red pepper
1 green pepper (anaheim or poblano)
1 jalapeno
2 small beets peeled
Dice and saute in pot until onions and peppers are soft but not brown.

1 can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup lentils (optional, this adds bulk, protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals; + earthy flavor)
1 large can of beans (I used navy. You can use dried if you cook them beforehand.)
1 package kielbasa, sliced.

Simmer until lentils are done. You will need to add liquid, normally I use stock but in this stew I used water because I was out of stock and had a lot of flavor in there already. I also pre-cooked my lentils while chopping veg, saved time at the end. Chopping the vegetables takes the most time, this is a relatively quick soup.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Thanks, I'll give this a shot this weekend and see how it comes out.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Liquid Communism posted:

...see how it comes out.

Red, like a hemorrhage.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

No problem, guys! Thanks for helping me clean out my pantry without wasting everything.

Just wanted to chime in and say that I ended up cooking the beans you sent me last night. Soaked them overnight, simmered them with a halved onion and some garlic, took about 2 hours start to finish before they were tender and delicious. When they were almost done I sauteed some squash, zucchini, onion and garlic, mashed up a can of whole fire roasted tomatoes and tossed that in there, then combined them all with a bunch of cumin, cayenne, black pepper, and some salt to taste. It was an insanely delicious vegan southwest stew of sorts, and the beans were the star. This makes me want to cook more dried beans rather than use the canned variety all the time.

Thanks again, Number 1 Sexy Dad!

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
This thread has gotten me cooking about a pound of beans every week or so. Did dried black beans with epazote, cilantro, homemade chicken stock, a couple jalapeños, a couple pasillas, a couple Anaheims, couple Fresno peppers, thyme, and an orange. Turned out baller as hell. Anyone else looking to expand their bean experience and diversify their usage should check out Kenji's black bean burgers. I do his lazy man's black beans and cook up about a pound of mostly unseasoned black beans then follow the recipe from there. You can use whatever peppers you want in the mix, and last time I included sauteed mushrooms for added umami.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Link if you're too lazy: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/03/the-best-black-bean-burger-recipe.html

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm making this tonight except I'm substituting literally everything for something else and not following the instructions.

Will report.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

CommonShore posted:

I'm making this tonight except I'm substituting literally everything for something else and not following the instructions.

Will report.

I'm sure your pizza will turn out well.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It's good. I just wanted to follow the basic concept - I only had like 1/4 of the ingredients, but I toasted some leftover beans, mixed in some similar stuff to get a good consistency, and fried it up in a pan.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

CommonShore posted:

It's good. I just wanted to follow the basic concept - I only had like 1/4 of the ingredients, but I toasted some leftover beans, mixed in some similar stuff to get a good consistency, and fried it up in a pan.

That's actually what I did too. I just substituted a couple of things. It's a surprisingly adaptable recipe, but then again, as this thread taught me, beans themselves are crazy adaptable. Beans for life.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

What subs did you make? I did appaloosa beans + roasted garlic + smoked paprika + dry cottage cheese + salt + parmesan + cashews. Toasted the beans, mashed em into patties, and pan fried em. Perfectly crunchy and good.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

The Midniter posted:

Just wanted to chime in and say that I ended up cooking the beans you sent me last night. Soaked them overnight, simmered them with a halved onion and some garlic, took about 2 hours start to finish before they were tender and delicious. When they were almost done I sauteed some squash, zucchini, onion and garlic, mashed up a can of whole fire roasted tomatoes and tossed that in there, then combined them all with a bunch of cumin, cayenne, black pepper, and some salt to taste. It was an insanely delicious vegan southwest stew of sorts, and the beans were the star. This makes me want to cook more dried beans rather than use the canned variety all the time.

Thanks again, Number 1 Sexy Dad!

:feelsgood:

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Man, that is flagrant false advertising

I love the Good Eats Boston Baked Beans recipe. If anybody has any suggestions to make it even better let me know.

Every time I try to improve a recipe I just end up gilding the lilly.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 11, 2016

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

CommonShore posted:

What subs did you make? I did appaloosa beans + roasted garlic + smoked paprika + dry cottage cheese + salt + parmesan + cashews. Toasted the beans, mashed em into patties, and pan fried em. Perfectly crunchy and good.

I cut out the cheese and increased the pepper variety, mostly in that I added about three times as much peppers and used passilas, anaheims, and something else that I've forgotten, mostly low heat peppers. I cut the chipotle in adobo because personally I hate the smokey adobo taste, and I added the sauteed, mostly dried mushrooms into the mix. I probably tripled the garlic, but that's because I'm a garbage person who used way too much garlic.

I still did all of the food processor steps, but then when I cooked them, I did it a realllllly low medium heat to try to keep them from drying up top quick and breaking apart. I think Kenji ' s point about roasting the beans until crispy is super important in terms of composing a strong patty. Afterwards, just covered them with some swiss cheese and a good, strong brown mustard. Love those burgers.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Really wish I had opened that last post with "I cut the cheese" so I could've started with a really solid fart joke in the bean thread.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

bartlebee posted:

Really wish I had opened that last post with "I cut the cheese" so I could've started with a really solid fart joke in the bean thread.

If it's solid it's not a fart

Mrs.Nameko
Dec 16, 2015

Mushrooms are the internet of the forest!
I made Goon Beans!!!!
I didn't find any smoked sausage or have any corn bread so I just used spicy Italian sausage and garlic naan instead!

Also:
Roasted Chick Peas

2 12oz cans chick peas
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp turmeric powder

Preheat oven to 425
Drain liquid from chick peas and put in a bowl and toss to season
Spread on to parchment paper line cookie sheet
Cook for aprox 30-40 minutes or desired crunch
Let cool 5 minutes before eating

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Currently starting day 2 of cooking kidney beans. hosed up on day one, beans were half done, half not done after three hours. Reconsidering soaking beans as I ruined dinner last night.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Two hours in on the second day, however, they are getting closer to done. Tasting delicious with the ham bone, just not fully done.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I hate soaking beans because I always realize I want to cook beans in the morning, which means I have to soak them all day and cook them late enough in the evening that it's either after supper, or I end up eating super late. Yes I've got a pressure cooker and can cook them without soaking but I prefer them soaked and cleaned.

That is all.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

coyo7e posted:

I hate soaking beans because I always realize I want to cook beans in the morning, which means I have to soak them all day and cook them late enough in the evening that it's either after supper, or I end up eating super late. Yes I've got a pressure cooker and can cook them without soaking but I prefer them soaked and cleaned.

Soak them then pressure cook. :ms:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I made a bean to clean out the fridge/pantry

1lb Northern beans, because there were what I had
1qt veggie stock from the fridge
Celery/Carrot/Onion ~2c total all diced
4oz leftover easter ham
Thyme, sage, rosemary, mustard seed, salt, black pepper, 2 bay leaves.

It was good, especially over cornbread.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Butch Cassidy posted:

Soak them then pressure cook. :ms:
:downs:

As I said, I prefer to not use the pressure cooker :ughh:

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Out of curiosity, why not?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Thoht posted:

Out of curiosity, why not?
Some kind of general anxiety about it blowing up, I guess. It's really not explicable but rather that I keep being gifted pressure cookers and other cooking stuff from goodwill/etc, and I'm never 100% sure without having a manual, knowing how many screws and wingnuts there ought to be, knowing what the manufacturer recommendations were, etc...

It's pretty much "I need to get a new one out of the original box and read the manual before I play with it," because I literally have had more than one with just random wingnuts in place of the actual ones, and recipes I look up online vary so drastically in cooking times and heat etc, that I'd rather not blow myself up (or at least, my stovetop).

It only takes maybe 2 or 3 hours to cook a good pot of beans after a nice lazy soak, depending on the freshness and what gets thrown in when (I put in too much bullion too early in my last batch and the skins are hard enough I just decided to make it dogfood for instance - but hey the dog's happy and it's cheaper than her normal food), and I'm just not in that much of a hurry I guess..?

At this point though, I'm basically just going to quietly toss my gifted+used pressure cookers into the garbage/recycle/goodwill, because I have had enough things literally explode in kitchens I was in, that I'm terribly afraid of ending up looking like two-face or some poo poo. :laugh: :ohdear:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Mar 30, 2016

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Anyone else have a problem with a range of textures in cooked beans? I've been pressure cooking mine from dry. I just did pintos and the vast majority are perfectly cooked, but quite a few are not really at all. Could it just be my stove giving terrible hot spots/not big enough? Or is there a decent amount of natural variation in beans? I've got a stainless pressure cooker so I've been contemplating getting an induction burner. Do pressure cookers play nice with that?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Eeyo posted:

Anyone else have a problem with a range of textures in cooked beans? I've been pressure cooking mine from dry. I just did pintos and the vast majority are perfectly cooked, but quite a few are not really at all. Could it just be my stove giving terrible hot spots/not big enough? Or is there a decent amount of natural variation in beans? I've got a stainless pressure cooker so I've been contemplating getting an induction burner. Do pressure cookers play nice with that?

It should not be your stove or pot / cooker. I'd guess you've got exceptionally old beans or you're cooking them just to borderline doneness or youre using too little liquid so when some of it get absorbed or evaporates, the beans on top are no longer submerged.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

It's probably a mix of old/cheap and not enough cooking. Miraculously none of them had burst so it may have been too little cooking. Plenty of water - there was still a good layer on top when I opened them up.

I bought them at Aldi for like $1.50 for 2lb so maybe there's a limit to how good I can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Are you quick soaking the beans before putting them in the pressure cooker? I've done this and had my pressure cooked beans come out fine.

• Locked thread