Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
So-so Miscreant
Aug 15, 2006

This place is too stinky even for me...

PatMarshall posted:

Beans are my go to meal most days: cheap, nutritious, and delicious.

When I get tired of my usual recipes, I like to make Caribbean style peas and rice for a change of pace:

Ingredients:
1 can of coconut milk
1 14oz can of pigeon peas or kidney beans (if I was a real dude, I would cook from dry, but :effort:)
1 and 1/2 cups long grain rice, well rinsed
1 medium onion, chopped
1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and lightly crushed beneath your knife or a heavy pan
3-4 sprigs of thyme
1-2 scotch bonnet or habanero chiles (or your favorite chile if you can't find these)
A few allspice berries, crushed (optional)
chopped scallions to garnish

Saute the onion in your favorite fat until tender and translucent, add the ginger and chiles and cook for two more minutes, then remove from heat. Add the coconut milk and 1 and 1/2 cups of water and place back on low heat. Add allspice, thyme, beans, and rice. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low. Cook 18 minutes or until rice is cooked and liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and let sit covered for five minutes (don't peek!). Remove chiles, thyme, and ginger, then stir through scallions and serve. Feel free to eat the reserved chiles, but be careful, scotch bonnets don't play around!

edit: I forgot to mention, drain the beans if you use canned, and don't forget to season to taste with salt and pepper, bearing in mind that canned beans are often pretty salty already.

I just made this for my lunch today and it was delicious! Thanks for the recipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread