Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Get ready to be rocked, with Italian infused Cajun style Red Beans and rice with Pancetta!!

So a big staple of Southern cooking especially in New Orleans is something called Tasso, basically spicey cured ham. Well this is a speciality in New Orleans and in the south specifically, so there's a great substitute that is available most every where!!

Spicy PANCETTA!

You are going to want to get the more spicier kind ( yes this is available just ask they'll let you know which to get)

So here it is Red Beans and Rice with Pancetta and Ham Bone ( if you cannot find ham bone , thick pork shank works fine)

You will need

1lb Red Beans ( LARGE Red Kidney Beans)
1/2 Pound Spicey pancetta or tasso
1 pound Andouille( Johnsonville andouille is actually pretty decent)
How to cut andouille , andouille is best cut like a pepperoni slice but bot straight across try like to angle it slightly on it if that makes sense
A good size Ham bone, if shank use like 2 or 3 but trim the meat off it a little bit)
1 rough cup of celery ( rough cup is just uh , eye a cup)
1 rough cup of onion
Some bay leaves 2 to 3
1 rough cup of green bell peppers
2 to 3 cloves of finely mashed garlic = like 2 to 3 tablespoons
2 to 3 tablespoons of fresh parsley
1 tablespoon of fresh thyme or 2 tablespoons of dried thyme
1 Tablespoon Tony's ( Tony's Cajun seasoning comes in a green container, if not tony's do not use any other seasoning just omit from the recipe)
Salt and Pepper
Tabasco sauce

Prep

Soak Da Beans over night, like how you would normally soak beans

Use a large heavy pot with a lid ( pressure cooker is best)

Chop up the pancetta in cubes add to the pot. Render out some good amount of grease, remove the pancetta when it is slightly crispy

Add Fresh Herbs ( if you got them), celery, onion, garlic, bell pepper , cook on low medium, when the onion is slightly almost getting translucent add the andouille, if its getting "dry" add some water. You don't want to brown anything.

Add back in your Pancetta.

Add a cup of water and the ham bone let that cook for a bit like 20 minutes stirring occasionally and making sure nothing sticks.

Now you are going to add your beans but before that you are going to measure how many cups you put in there.

Bean to water ratio for 1 cup of beans add 3 cups of Water.

Now add in bay leaves.

And dried herbs if you are using that

DO NOT ADD SALT PEPPER OR TABASCO AT THIS STAGE

Let this cook for 1 hour with the lid on at about a medium low heat it should just be bubbling not boiling. While stirring occasionally if it's sticking to the bottom you turn down the heat, if you need to add some more water do that but not to much. ( An option instead of water is to basically just take a bunch of ham bones stick them in a pot with salt pepper and water then cook it to make ham broth )

NOW taste, add salt , pepper, tabasco according to your taste.

Next Phase

Get a potato masher or a heavy spoon. Turn down your heat. Now, take this and smash some beans with it. The best way to do this is to actually physically remove just the beans like maybe 2 cups is good you want to leave some whole ones in there. Put them in a bowl and just mash the poo poo out of them. Not like mash potato consistency but well mashed. Also, I shouldn't have to say this but pick out the pieces of sausage and pancetta before doing this.

Put that back in the pot and stir it up.

Let it cook for another hour on medium low heat stirring as needed.

Put the lid back on and cook for another hour stirring occasionally

Serve on top of rice.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
You just got to really look at them because hocks can have a good amount of meat or not a lot depending on the cut. I always when I by them look at the shape. If their more cylindrical they'll probably have more meat but if they look like it goes from a small to large sort of pyramidy shape it'll have less meat. I dunno why but that's what I look for and that's what my grandma told me to look for .

• Locked thread