Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Ginger and garlic are necessities for a good tarka daal. I fry the garlic with the tarka and boil the ginger with the lentils and turmeric, Madhur Jaffrey-style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I just cut it in slivers. I like to nibble on them as I eat. And you are correct in assuming it's even better with fresh turmeric, no matter how horribly it stains your fingers.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I always add more freshly-ground cumin towards the end of the cooking for thing like daal and beans, I let some simmer (usually whole) along too. Then again I loving looooove cumin.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Making a kind of tadka for just, you know, ordinary beans is a pretty neat trick, come to think of it. I've done it a couple of times, why not always I can't really answer. Basically just about half a cup of scorching lard or oil seasoned pretty heavily stirred into the beans at the end right before it's served: cumin seeds, paprika, ground coriander, parsley, chilies, tomato, garlic, bay leaf, coarse ground black pepper, finely chopped onions...(Italians even call a ragł that's had some extra lard with onions and garlic stirred into it right before serving "lardiato". It's a great trick for any cuisine, really.)

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

...are you sure you're getting actual ham hocks and not trotters?

• Locked thread