Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

My grandmother just gave me six pounds of dried Jacob's cattle beans. Any ideas to use them beyond living on Boston baked beans for a month?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Are we counting dried peas in here for diversity or just beans? Because I made some awesome sweet potato dhal with yellow peas the other night.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Sweet Potato & Coconut Dhal ripped and slightly altered from a Taste for Life rag free at the hippie grocer.

- 1 cup of yellow split peas soaked in water all day or night

- Canola oil to sauté a finely diced onion

- 1 generous teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes. Recipe called for a 1/2 teaspoon, gently caress that.

- One teaspoon each garam masala, turmeric, and toasted cumin

- A 1/3" or so piece of ginger, peeled and chopped

- One can of coconut milk

- A good sized sweet potato, peeled and cubed smallish

- One can of diced tomatoes, or equivalent in fresh if in season

- One cup of stock, veggie or chicken work well

- Salt/pepper to taste

- Chopped fresh cilantro and broken almonds to top each serving

Once the onions are about finished sautéing, dump in and cook the ginger/turmeric/pepper flakes/garam masala/cumin until fragrant. Add the stock/tomatoes/coconut milk/ drained peas/sweet potato and simmer covered until thick and the peas/sweet potato are tender. Thin with pea soaking water if needed and serve over rice or family style with flatbread. Top with cilantro and almond as you see fit.

It is super tasty and I would suggest more than a half teaspoon of pepper flakes to counter the sweetness of the sweet potato. A generous teaspoon was perfect for my wife's taste.

E: depending on your peas and size of your sweet potato cubes, it will simmer for 40 minutes to an hour. Stir now and then to keep it from scorching.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 8, 2014

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Yeah, start with a 1:1:1 proportion of turmeric:garam masala:cumin and adjust to taste as you play around. And other spices like coriander and fenugreek can be fun to add. Even just curry powder from a decent bulk bin can be an okay start. And beans love fresh cilantro or parsley.

E: That sweet potato dhal recipe I posted would work fine with lentils. And what is the lentils cooked with rice thing Indians feed to kids like we do Mac and cheese? It can be pretty yummy to play around with and I haven't had any in too long.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Awesome, thanks :)

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I had green lentils, a quart of sliced kale, a sweet potato, a lime, and fresh sage/red chili flakes/cumin/fenugreek/turmeric/ginger/garlic/garam masala/brown mustard seeds/diced cilantro stems and turned them into a delicious vegan thing. Served with a double gin and tonic in a mason jar with a couple dashes of angostura bitters and the last half of the lime juice.

Now to score some asafetida and curry leaves to try Dino's tasty looking recipe.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I have Jacob's cattle beans Boston bake-ifying in the pressure cooker for shits and giggles. They are great in a Dutch oven indoors or out and I am hoping I can get them to work in the pressure cooker. But they seem to be a New England thing and finding even a time suggestion for them is a pain. :science:

E: Could have used a pint less water than I started it with, but it is looking serviceable. Still lacks the special something brought by a day buried in coals, obviously.

E2: Fifteen minutes at pressure and a natural release worked pretty well for the texture and getting the salt pork to render well.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 16, 2014

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I love kale. And beans.

Jacques Pépin's Black-Eyed Pea and Kale Ragout. Soooooo good when hit with a good dose of vinegary hot sauce at the table.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Pressure cooker Boston baked beans that is still a recipe in progress. This batch:

~ 1.5 pounds if Jacob's cattle beans. Soaked overnight and drained.

- Four slices bacon, diced. Because needs smoke.

~ 2 ounces salt pork, diced small

- 3 tbs brown mustard

- 1 1/2 tsp cider vinegar

- Generous 3/4 cup of molasses

- A fine-ish diced onion

- Some salt and black pepper

- Five cups of water, enough to healthily cover the beans.

Rendered the fat from the pork and bacon, softened the onions in it, dumped everything else in, brought to pressure for 45 minutes, let the pressure drop on its own, stirred, simmered for about ten minutes with the lid off to thicken, finalized seasoning.

Served with Dijon mustard/thyme compound butter rubbed high-roast chicken and baked sweet potatoes for supper, last night. And with southern-style cornbread for breakfast, today.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I set my New England stubborn-headedness aside and made Alton Brown's baked bean recipe, last night. It is a solid KISS recipe with enough spice to ward of your average Northerner but keep yourself happy. Scale the bacon back a bit, though, because a whole pound made me cringe and my wallet upset. A half pound would do you fine. And a crock pot would work as well as cast iron in an overnight oven.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Over easy eggs and Boston baked beans with a dollop of either zucchini relish or piccalilli and buttered wheat toast on the side would be a pretty decent last meal.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

It'll work fine. Do it up.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Pressure cookers use less propane/electricity/natural gas to make beans, saving time and money. That they also make life easier for a ton of other stuff is neat.

If the investment worries you, even an aluminum Presto will offer solid service for a low price.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Senior Funkenstien posted:

Get rid of the liquid smoke and put in a couple smoked ham hocks. Take them out at the end and shred what meat is on em and put it back in the pot.

This guy knows what's up. Although the best option is to make them in a pot over a little campfire coalbed while drinking all day.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I've always had a soft spot for beans with baked potato for some reason.

And peas/lentils with steamed or roasted new potatoes.

But with tortillas, Boston brown bread, roti, rice, cornbread, whatever it's all good.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Brown's recipe can readily halve the bacon to avoid being completely gratuitous.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Thanks, I think I'll make that later this week. I want to use some leftover pork shoulder, though. Would that work?

Edible and likely tasty in its own right? Yup.

But the salt in saltpork/bacon is counted on to season baked beans while the fat and curing proceas adds tons of flavor and renders down to stay out of the way of the beans.

Pok shoulder would fall apart to shreds, altering the texture. And flavor would be much more mild even after you add more salt to compensate for the substitution.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Making this recipe in the next few days, but I don't have a Dutch over. Should I put the bacon/onion/jalapenos in the crock pot before mixing in the paste, brown sugar, and molasses?

I'm also using kidney beans. Do I need to soak them for longer, since they are bigger?

Render the bacon with the jalapeño and onion in a skillet and then dump into the slow cooker and proceed as directed from there. And no, you do not have to soak your beans any longer.

Also, feel free to cut back on the bacon to even just a half pound if the full amount seems excessive.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

The lazy cook's black beans on Serious Eats are delicious and as :effort: as food can get:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/09/the-lazy-cooks-black-beans-easy-recipe.html

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

The Ligurian Bean Stew recipe from hippressurecooking is a pretty solid base to play around with. I like to up the spices and have something simple day one and then futz with the next day.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Thanks! You're my beany hero. I might put those cranberry beans in a white chicken chili. Or maybe something else. I dunno.

They work great in minestrone and ribollita.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Go full Tuscan. White beans.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Do you have any recipe you like? I see a bunch of different styles just googling for it.

I usually just go all Tamar Adler on them and use whatever white beans I have on hand prepared simply as they are a side. Usually go for great northern beans as they are always on the shelf at the local grocer and move quickish to be fresh enough to soften well and consistently. Simple beans can be great but are all about the few ingredients being quality.

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Tuscan-Style-White-Beans

Is a good base to work from.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

coyo7e posted:

I hate soaking beans because I always realize I want to cook beans in the morning, which means I have to soak them all day and cook them late enough in the evening that it's either after supper, or I end up eating super late. Yes I've got a pressure cooker and can cook them without soaking but I prefer them soaked and cleaned.

Soak them then pressure cook. :ms:

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Thwt sounds delicious and my birthday is coming up. You should use that fact to guilt her into sharing her recipe.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

pr0k posted:

I want to trade my 96FS for a 92. So, probably not.

The 92 is wicked awesome and my vote for best thing ever made with a hilariously longer frame life than a 96 so you have my blessing for what it's worth.

So you should cranberry bean up a pot of ribollita to set the tone of cheaply fed Italians.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Great Northern beans don't make for very good Boston baked beans. Jacob's cattle and soldier beans for life.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Crispy fried egg.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I'm doing pretty much that in a pressure cooker on delay to just have to make rice after skiing. Just plopped a goodly spoon of tomato paste in. Looking forward to it.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

The kitchen smelled really good when we got home and fired up the rice cooker. Could have used some acidity but a bit of hot sauce took care of things. Using fresh or tinned tomato in place of paste may also help. But it hit the spot, went well with a beer, and we'd all gladly eat it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Made some Moros y Cristianos for a ski school pot luck.

Diced and sweated some green pepper, jalapeño, and onion. In bacon fat because I had some and also woke up some whole cumin in the hot fat before adding the veg. Then in with a pound of soaked black beans, bay leaf, soaking water, and a halved orange.

Cooked until the beans were tender, fished the bay and orange out, and juiced a lime into the pot off the heat. Mixed it with some rice done up with sliced and sauteed garlic. I also picked up a bottle of hot sauce to park next to it on the table but that walked off for people to doctor up the crockpot chili someone else brought.

Someone else made some dish of garbanzo beans a ndquinoa that was delicious but couldn't find them to ask for a recipe.

• Locked thread