Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

the best advice i can give to someone who wants to cook beans is to pan roast and grind your own cumin seeds. there's a huge difference between ground cumin in a jar from the grocery store and freshly roasted and ground cumin from your coffee grinder. i love beans and eat them all the time, my favorite are dark red kidney beans

edit: and add cumin at the end, you get more flavor than if you cook it with the beans the whole time

Hell Yeah fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I disagree. If you don't grind the cumin (just toast it), it permeates the beans as they cook. I much prefer this to grinding it and adding it to the end.

i never had good luck adding it at the beginning. especially when you grind your own cumin, there was a whole bunch of aromas that seemed to dissipate if i cooked the cumin with the beans the whole time, or at least that's my experience.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

The Grapist posted:

This recipe right here will change your bean making life: http://www.thepauperedchef.com/2009/06/90-minute-no-soak-beans.html

No soak, approximately 90 minutes total. I've used this many times on black beans, kidney beans, pinto beans. Works every time. Larger beans might need a few minutes extra cooking time.

i have used this recipe on black beans and on kidney beans and it turned out amazing every time. the only difference was that i rinsed the beans in a strainer and boiled the beans a few minutes before putting them in the oven. kidney beans took like 90 minutes to get right, black beans were more like 70 mins.
really amazing recipe. you guys should try it

• Locked thread