Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Oh man, I keep forgetting to take pics of my rajma and post it here! Not to worry, I eat some sort of dal every day or two at least, so I'll remember to picturize at some point. Yesterday I made a chole masala with peas. Delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

ReveS posted:

'chole' is chickpea am I right?

I would love to see your chole masala recipe. I've been toying around - with a low success rate. Chickpeas and 'masala' is an elusive dish for my stupid western self.

Yeah, chole/chana is chickpea. It's pretty simple - but there are a few unexpected flavors in there that really change the whole dish.

Let me know if any of these terms need to be explained.

There are three flavor stages of this recipe: whole dry spices, whole wet spices, and main ingredients. This is pretty common in Indian cooking.

These groups are as follows:

Main Ingredients
1 cup dried small chickpeas or regular chickpeas/chole (canned chickpeas can also be used) or 1.5 cups regular dried chickpeas.
1 green chile, slit
1 tsp coriander powder
¼ tsp red chile powder
½ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp garam masala powder or chole masala
½ or 1 tsp dry mango powder/amchur powder
a pinch of asafoetida (optional)
black salt or rock salt as required
2 cups water to be added later

Whole Spices
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 large indian bay leaf/tej patta
2 inch cinnamon
2-3 cloves
2 green cardamom
2-3 black peppercorn

Wet Spices
1 medium size onion, chopped
2 medium size tomatoes, chopped
½ inch ginger, chopped
3-4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 green chile, chopped

First, soak and cook the chickpeas. I like to add some baking soda and a bay leaf while cooking the chole. You want the texture to melt in your mouth.

Next, make a paste of the wet spices in a processor or mortar/pestle. No need for added water here - the moisture in the potatoes and onions will keep things moving.

Heat more oil than you think is necessary in a pan, add a pinch of asafoetida (hing), and fry the dry spices listed above for a minute or two, enough to release the scent/flavor. Experience will teach you the timing and rhythm in which to make your tarka, but the order is as listed.

Add your paste and fry over medium heat until the oil starts to emerge around the sides of the paste. Stir meanwhile, so you don't have any sticking or burning.

Add the ground coriander, turmeric, chile powder, and amchur. Stir and saute for a minute, just to remove the rawness of the spices. Add the chole, water, salt, and stir. Turn down the heat and cook, uncovered, for 12-15 minutes, until the curry thickens. Add the slit green chiles and garam masala. Stir and simmer for another few minutes, and season to taste. Garnish with cilantro/coriander leaves. Serve with bread.

e: By the way, this is the fancyass version. I consider it worth the effort because you can freeze your leftovers and heat up a bowlful any time. Also, I dunno how traditional this is, but I like to mix a little bit of coconut cream into my serving.

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 10, 2014

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Arus posted:

I just bought loads of lentils and beans (red, black, garbanzo) at the market and I'm trying to find something to do with them other than making soups. Does anyone have any good recipes that use curry? I don't eat pork or beef so I'm limited to what I can make with them.

Here's the basic daal from which most of my beany curries originate: http://goonswithspoons.com/Daal_Tarka

Try north or south Indian styles - they're pretty dramatically different. And keep in mind that as written, they're a little plain and lacking. You want to customize these. Throw in veggies, add tomatoes, leafy greens, whatever. Make it yours.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Sjurygg posted:

Ginger and garlic are necessities for a good tarka daal. I fry the garlic with the tarka and boil the ginger with the lentils and turmeric, Madhur Jaffrey-style.

That sounds lovely. I'll have to try that. It's a shame fresh turmeric is difficult to find, otherwise that'd be just perfect. Do you chop/slice/sliver the ginger first?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Illinois Smith posted:

You can just use a cheese grater.

Eeyo posted:

I microplane ginger sometimes. I like to freeze it (so it doesn't go bad) and then it's pretty easy to just grate frozen.

Well, I keep ginger paste on hand in large quantities (along with garlic paste and serrano paste and what I call masala paste which is a mixture of the three with ground coriander, cumin, and a few other things). I was curious how he does it, because boiling ginger paste would leave me with very little ginger to nosh on in the dish itself.

Gonna dal a bean tonight. Maybe with spinach, maybe paneer, maybe potato. Who knows. I'll take a picture of the finished product but I can't promise process photos.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I made this for lunch today, and it is fantastic. Cheap, easy, and delicious.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I made my own POT BEANS a few days ago, blatantly disregarding the good luck superstitions associated with the dish.

Hoppin' John

One pound dried black-eyed peas
One pound bacon (or a ham hock, or salt pork, or sausage even)
Some other meat, maybe? Andouille seems like a natural fit here, or cooked ham.
Onions
Bell peppers
Celery
Something smoky and hot - I used chipotles in adobo, minced fine
Couple cups of rice
Garlic
Chiles of some sort
Bay leaf
Black pepper
A bunch of stock

Render the meat until crisp but not dry; reserve.
Saute your mirepoix in the remaining fat until tender and aromatic, then add minced garlic. Cook until soft, adding meat, chipotles, and whatever other stuff you like (carrots, chopped ham, fresh chiles, I don't know) along the way.
Add black-eyed peas and cook until soft and creamy.
Add rice and cover, then bring to a boil and simmer 20 minutes.

Let rest 10 minutes covered before serving with a bowl of collard greens and a hunk of cornbread.

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jan 1, 2015

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Pressure cookers are useful for all sorts of other stuff, too. I use mine nearly every day for stocks, soups, beans, sauces, braises. Rice, too.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

At the risk of turning this into the pressure cooker thread,

Santa Maria Pot Beans
Onion
Carrot
Bell pepper
Celery
Jalapeño or poblano and Serrano
Dried chiles
Tomato and anchovy paste
Garlic
Tomatoes, about a pound
3 cups of mixed dried beans - I use mayocoba, chickpeas, kidneys
Paprika
Cumin
Oregano
Stock

Bring beans to a boil with dried chiles and maybe a bay leaf and let sit, covered off the heat, for 90 minutes. When done, remove dry chiles and blend into a paste.

Cook onion/carrot/peppers/celery until soft, add garlic and pastes, oregano, and caramelize. Deglaze with something if you want to. Add beans and stock, spices, and cook under pressure for 18 minutes. Natural release, then add tomatoes and cook under pressure 7 minutes (quick release). Serve with cilantro and crema.

If you don't have a pressure cooker, buy one. Failing that, you can simmer partially covered for an hour or 90 minutes instead, then add tomatoes and simmer half an hour.

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 9, 2015

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Crazyeyes posted:

Nearly every recipe I have seen here, while looking delicious, seems more oriented towards a side dish than main course. I love beans and want to know more. Please advise.

I added some slices of squash and andouille to that Santa Maria beans recipe, thickened it with a little roux, added more stock, and made it a soup once. You can do something similar with a lot of these recipes, or serve them over rice/bread.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Crazyeyes posted:

I'll be putting it over rice, probably. Everything is better over rice.

Beans and rice is a classic for a reason. Almost every recipe in this thread would be great with a bed of, or mixed with rice. That way it's a full meal, too - though I usually like a condiment of some sort (chutney, salsa, sour cream) and maybe a quick pickle on the side or something.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

killaer posted:

Does anyone know any good recipes for Ful Medames? It's basically a middle eastern/mediterranean beans dish. This schwarma place next to me makes them so tasty - they come in this rich and creamy sauce - all I can tell is that there are some vegetables (onion/peppers), lots of oil, probably lots of butter, and some spices. It tastes loving delicious.

I've made Saveur's recipe (more or less) and it was good, if a bit plain. I don't know if it's traditional, but some berbere sprinkled on top made it much more appetizing. Sumac and za'atar don't seem out of place, either.

E: the sauce is the beans

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Oranges in black beans is a classic combo - the acidity undercuts their earthiness and the floral aspect brings out their natural sweetness. Also, oranges go super well with cumin and oregano and onions.

I've added a whole onion to tomato sauce and removed it at the end, which produced a wholly different flavor from adding a chopped onion. I can see the merit. It also removes a step or two, which helps make it lazier.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Also aromatics. I use orange peel, onions, garlic, chiles, and thyme. Loads of each, and plenty of salt. It helps to cook them in stock, too.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

Hey, this thread is still alive!

:siren: BEAN GIVEAWAY :siren:

I'm a member of the Rancho Gordo bean club, which means I get five pounds of beans and a surprise gift every quarter. I can't eat all these beans by myself, and I'm too stupid to give up my membership in this (actually somewhat exclusive) bean club, so I'm giving away a chunk of my hoard.

We're going to start with this lot:

I'll cross these off as they're claimed.
  • Large White Lima
  • Cassoulet
  • Corona
  • Marcella
  • Midnight - Crazyeyes
  • Ayocote Blanco
  • Alubia Blanca - Big Centipede
  • Garbanzo - Suspect Bucket
  • Garbanzo
  • Ayocote Negro - Big Centipede
  • Vaquero - Crazyeyes
  • Cranberry
  • Cranberry

Non-Beans
  • Popping corn - Suspect Bucket
  • Quinoa

Claim one or two bags in this thread. PM me your address (continental US only, please), and I'll send beans out to you for free. If you don't have PMs, email numberonesexydad at gmail dot com. Some of these beans might be up to 2 years old, but that's apparently not very old compared to what you can find at your grocery.

If this goes smoothly I'll probably give away some more in a later post.

If you get some beans, it would be cool if you post something about what you used them for. A recipe, pics, a review, whatever. You don't have to, but it would be cool.

Also, one lucky bean buddy will receive a mystery gift, also from Rancho Gordo.

Don't ask me about these beans - I know as much as you do. I get them in the mail and sometimes the heirloom varieties have no info about them on the internet. Use your best judgment in preparing - and hey, if you mess 'em up, at least they were free!

Wow, thanks! This is very generous! I've been wanting to try some of those varieties. I'd love to try the cranberry beans and quinoa. PM sent with address.

e: if you get a lot of replies, just the cranberry beans, please.

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 26, 2016

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

OK! The beans are distributed and packaged. Some even shipped today!
The giveaway post has been updated.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3592735&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=6#post455434206

I went in chronological order of request receipt and satisfied almost everybody, I THINK.

Test Pattern and TheQuietWilds, I couldn't give you what you asked for but I am sending you each some mystery beans.
E: Midniter, you also get mystery beans.

If I messed anything up, I'm sorry! I didn't intentionally stiff anybody.

Thanks for playing!

Thanks! You're my beany hero. I might put those cranberry beans in a white chicken chili. Or maybe something else. I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Butch Cassidy posted:

They work great in minestrone and ribollita.

Am I correct in thinking that I can use them anywhere I'd use other white beans?

• Locked thread