Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Tomatoes are fairly acidic, aren't they? Should I cook the beans without tomatoes for about half the time, and then mix in the tomatoes?

Cook the beans without the tomatoes until the beans are cooked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm not sure what recipe you're dealing with, but if you throw rinsed, unsoaked dry beans with ample water into a covered baking dish, they'll be ready after about 90-120 minutes at 250F in the oven.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Huh. I was making this: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/the-once-and-future-beans-recipe.html

It says to soak them, and I was putting them in a crockpot.

I've made variations on that recipe quite a few times. I've found that it works well to make the sauce separately and then add it after the beans are cooked. It takes like 2-2.5 hours of cooking instead of 8.

Check this out:
http://www.thepauperedchef.com/2009/06/90-minute-no-soak-beans.html

It works.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm convinced, but I don't have a Dutch oven. I have an aluminum stock pot, and that's it. I also have some beans soaking already. Is it possible to do something similar with soaked beans, or should I just crockpot cook them and add the sauce afterward?

I haven't tried them with the crockpot, but I can imagine if you bring the beans up to the boil on the stove, and then dump them into the crock pot, they'll work. I actually use a Chinese-style "Rice pot", which is a ceramic dish with a lid. I boil the beans in a separate pot and then transfer them to the oven. Other things that I cook in that dish at 250 turn out more or less as I would expect them to from the slow cooker. Soaking won't make it work any less - the takeaway from that article is more that you don't actually need to plan 16 hours ahead if you want to turn your dry beans into food.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Not true at altitude, for anyone who lives high up, btw.

Good to know. Does it need more time, more heat, pressure, or what?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

wormil posted:

I accidentally posted this in the chili thread by mistake, surprisingly the thread did not explode into a beans in chili debate, anyway...

Americas Test Kitchen made a claim I've been suspecting for some time, that canned beans are better than dried because they are cooked and canned under controlled conditions whereas dried beans are stored in various conditions and usually are too dry. Their preference is Goya. I stopped using dried beans about a year ago because my taste buds have been telling me the same thing. Just curious what others think about it.

I still use both, but I use canned more often than dry now. It's a convenience/serving size thing. I only bust out the pot if I'm making something that would use 2+ cans at once and I have the time.

I prefer "PC Blue Menu" (Canadian store brand) canned beans because they low sodium.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I bought some appaloosa beans because they looked neat. What should I do with my appaloosa beans?

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Feb 15, 2016

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm making this tonight except I'm substituting literally everything for something else and not following the instructions.

Will report.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It's good. I just wanted to follow the basic concept - I only had like 1/4 of the ingredients, but I toasted some leftover beans, mixed in some similar stuff to get a good consistency, and fried it up in a pan.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

What subs did you make? I did appaloosa beans + roasted garlic + smoked paprika + dry cottage cheese + salt + parmesan + cashews. Toasted the beans, mashed em into patties, and pan fried em. Perfectly crunchy and good.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

A few years ago I had a really good chickpea salad with little pieces of pepper and onion and maybe there was some herb and a citrus element. It had a nice but indistinct dressing and the beans were nice and creamy. It was part of an airplane meal, ironically. Anybody have a favorite chickpea salad recipe?

Today I made a chickpea salad. I briefly steamed some sliced garden beets and carrots, chilled them, and then mixed them with cucumbers, baby lettuce, and beet greens. Dressing was nice olive oil, balsamic, and a bit of citron marmalade.

I forgot the chick peas - they're sitting on my loving counter right now and your post reminded me

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

This one is good. Ignore the cucumber as I just threw it into the same container when I left for lunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I made flalafel tonight out of desi chick peas. Was alright. Not good proportional to the effort, but enough to satisfy my craving in my falafel desert.

• Locked thread