Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

2 cups of cooked northern beans
1 onion, cut finely in half-moons
1/2 cup parsley, finely chopped
1 tsp crushed pepper
1 or two hard boiled eggs, sliced
1 tomato, diced

1/4 cup tahini
1/4 cup vinegar
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 cloves of garlic, minced

The recipe on this site has an interesting suggestion for making raw onion more mellow:

Oh man, replace the northern beans with chick peas and that poo poo is right up my alley. Looks amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

D&D is that-a-way.

This argument is certainly worth discussing, but not in the pot beans thread, where it serves only as a massive derail to make the mods mad.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Crazyeyes posted:

Nearly every recipe I have seen here, while looking delicious, seems more oriented towards a side dish than main course. I love beans and want to know more. Please advise.

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/New_Orleans_style_Red_Beans_and_Rice

That is a stick-to-your-ribs main course.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

Don't salt them until a couple hours in. This is wives-tale advice, though.

That's definitely a myth. Always salt the beans.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Got my beans on Monday too. Thanks, Number 1 Sexy Dad!!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

No problem, guys! Thanks for helping me clean out my pantry without wasting everything.

Just wanted to chime in and say that I ended up cooking the beans you sent me last night. Soaked them overnight, simmered them with a halved onion and some garlic, took about 2 hours start to finish before they were tender and delicious. When they were almost done I sauteed some squash, zucchini, onion and garlic, mashed up a can of whole fire roasted tomatoes and tossed that in there, then combined them all with a bunch of cumin, cayenne, black pepper, and some salt to taste. It was an insanely delicious vegan southwest stew of sorts, and the beans were the star. This makes me want to cook more dried beans rather than use the canned variety all the time.

Thanks again, Number 1 Sexy Dad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

22 Eargesplitten posted:

IIRC I might have left a lot of the pith the first time, that might be part of it. The pith is hotter than the body too, right?

Yep, the pith and the seeds are where the heat is.

• Locked thread