Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Making a big pot of beans right now with carrots, onions, celery, peppers, tomato's, and leftover ham.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Cornbread and beans would be a strong contender for my last meal. That or two eggs over easy with warm buttered toast. Yep, I'm a simple guy.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I know some will cringe but Spam and beans make a tasty soup. No additional salt needed.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Liquid Communism posted:

Nothing wrong with Spam. It's good quality pork shoulder, albeit with a poo poo-ton of salt.

I didn't know that, always assumed it was lips and assholes.

Here is my bean soup recipe although I never make it the same way twice because I use whatever leftovers and stuff that needs using up.

Beans, your choice, (pinto, navy, black, lentil, pea, lima, anasazi, northern, etc. or a mixture of beans)
(I use one bag of dried beans for this recipe)
6-8 cups of chicken stock (8 if you want thinner soup)
2 smoked ham hocks (or ham bone, fatback, salt pork, jowls, country ham)
1 bay leaf
1 onion, chopped
2 stalks of chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1-2 broccoli stalks, finely chopped (highly recommended)

If using dried beans, soak beans overnight, rinse, add to pot in the morning along with chopped onion, bay leaf, and chicken stock (along with any optional ingredients like celery, etc). Cook on low about six hours (times may vary depending on type) until beans are tender and meat is falling off the bone. Remove hocks and set aside. Mash the beans to desired consistency with a potato masher or if you prefer, scoop out about two cups of bean soup and run through the blender or food processor and return to pot. Separate meat, skin, fat and bone from ham hocks. Chop meat and return to pot, scraps go to the dogs. Salt & pepper to taste.

Serve over hot cornbread. If you are a butter fiend, top with a pat of butter. It is not an exacting recipe, you may add or subtract as desired. I sometimes add garlic or peppers to mine.

Alternatives to ham hocks: Spam or about any kind of pork (ham, sausage), beef roast. I've tried salt pork and don't care for it, maybe I'm doing it wrong.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Manufactured food is gross when you learn more about it. I visited an egg farm as a teenager and still have trouble eating store bought eggs.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

shankerz posted:

Anyone know a good pinto bean recipe? I love the kind KFC makes with the little pieces of hot pepper in it.

I'm pretty sure they copied those from Bojangles. Searching "Bojangles cajun beans recipe" pulls up some good prospects.

Like this: http://mamaozzystable.blogspot.com/2011/01/cajun-pinto-beans.html

If it turns out well, let me know.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Crazyeyes posted:

Nearly every recipe I have seen here, while looking delicious, seems more oriented towards a side dish than main course. I love beans and want to know more. Please advise.

Add cornbread -- voilą, instant main course.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I would eat soup beans and cornbread as a last meal.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
That is a weird recipe. I've never heard of adding then removing an onion. Is that for people who are too lazy to actually chop an onion? For fucks sake, you might as well just use canned beans and be done with it. I am intrigued by the orange.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I put tomatoes in with dry beans all the time, the beans soften. Myth busted.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Get a room you two.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I accidentally posted this in the chili thread by mistake, surprisingly the thread did not explode into a beans in chili debate, anyway...

Americas Test Kitchen made a claim I've been suspecting for some time, that canned beans are better than dried because they are cooked and canned under controlled conditions whereas dried beans are stored in various conditions and usually are too dry. Their preference is Goya. I stopped using dried beans about a year ago because my taste buds have been telling me the same thing. Just curious what others think about it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Beans are such a small portion of our food costs (family of 4) that buying dry doesn't make any appreciable difference in the budget. From memory I think a small bag of beans is about 50 cents, while a large can is about $1.50; so maybe a $1 per pot of soup.

And I don't think they are saying that Goya can cook beans better than you (us) but that they are starting with quality controlled beans which result in a better cooked bean. Whereas the dried beans are stored in various warehouses, trucks, weather and humidity conditions, and supermarkets until being sold; allowing the beans to dry out too much.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
It's not really about ATK, I stopped buying dried a year before seeing that episode. Prior to that I just thought maybe my local beans were the problem, but it's mostly a texture issue as I tend to overwhelm the beans with other flavors.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Texas Chainsaw Massacre Dinner : Bean, Beet, and Sausage stew. Onion, celery, red bell pepper, some kind of mildly spicy green pepper, and 2 small beets, softened; then added tomatoes, jalapenos, lentils, navy beans and Kielbasa. Okay, I know it looks like a horror movie but trust me, it is delicious -- earthy, hearty, sweet and savory.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Thanks, I'd never heard of borscht. No one else in the family would eat it. My wife's idea of soup is Campbells. My youngest daughter said it was too spicy but I think she was put off by the color, she's never been a fan of red foods (in her mind, red=spicy). My oldest daughter decided she doesn't like beets. My in-laws are coming to visit, die hard Irish Americans, and I'm sure they've never eaten anything like it so I plan on making it again while they are here. I'm always secretly glad when no else likes my concoctions because then I get to eat it all week.

Off topic but I have more beets and a butternut squash, gonna make soup from that next. (edit; it is delicious!)

wormil fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 2, 2016

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Liquid Communism posted:

You got a half-rear end recipe for that? It looks delicious, and I love beets.

Half rear end is about right, I tend to make it up as I go along but this is close.

1 med onion
1 celery stick
1 red pepper
1 green pepper (anaheim or poblano)
1 jalapeno
2 small beets peeled
Dice and saute in pot until onions and peppers are soft but not brown.

1 can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup lentils (optional, this adds bulk, protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals; + earthy flavor)
1 large can of beans (I used navy. You can use dried if you cook them beforehand.)
1 package kielbasa, sliced.

Simmer until lentils are done. You will need to add liquid, normally I use stock but in this stew I used water because I was out of stock and had a lot of flavor in there already. I also pre-cooked my lentils while chopping veg, saved time at the end. Chopping the vegetables takes the most time, this is a relatively quick soup.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Liquid Communism posted:

...see how it comes out.

Red, like a hemorrhage.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
My uncle once told me a story about a hermit that was an old man when my uncle was a boy in the 1930's. According to the story this hermit would make a cauldron of beans in the winter with squirrel, rabbit, onions, celery, whatever he could get; and leave it outside to freeze during the winter. Couple times a day he would come out and chip off chunks and warm it up. I'm sure there was a point to the story besides that but I was a teenager and all I remember is thinking how awesome it would be to have a big pot of beans frozen outside your door to eat everyday. My bean love affair goes way back.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Jewel Repetition posted:

Does anyone know why, when I cook pinto beans (usually after 24 hours of soaking) the water turns dark opaque gray, develops skin on the surface, and smells like poo poo?

Soaking too long and they are starting to ferment. I soak mine about 16 hours.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
My bean soups are basically whatever I have + beans. Many are basically vegetable stew + a lot of beans. But I make bean soup 3-4X/month and make enough for a week.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I always put tomato in my bean soup but never paste, like you say, too sweet. I prefer crushed.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
We bought an Instant Pot around Christmas and I've been making bean soup once a week, at least. I tend to use a lot of ingredients but lately I've gone back to simple with nothing but onions sauteed in butter + beans + smoked ham hocks + vegetable stock + dash of salt & pepper. :drat: son

Also the Instant Pot is fantastic.

And nothing goes with bean soup better than cornbread.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I'm very fond of smoked ham hocks or smoked pork neck bones in my beans. When the soup is done I fish them out and pick them apart, returning meat to the soup but in some ways they are a PITA. The ham hocks are mostly bone, fat, and skin, the neck bones have a lot of small bones and inevitably some end up in the soup. Also have noticed that smoked ham hocks vary a lot in quality. They look the same on the outside but some are meaty and others are skin and bone. Do you guys just deal with it or using something else like smoked sausage?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I got about a tablespoon of meat each from three hocks yesterday.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

empty sea posted:

I've also always gotten a lot of meat off of ham hocks. Can't imagine what kind of crappy hocks you somehow got consistently get.

fixed :(

I make bean soup about 3x/month and the hocks are nearly meatless most of the time. Ironic considering I live in NC, hog farming is the thing here. Next weekend I'll see if there is anyone selling smoked hocks at the farmer's market.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Force de Fappe posted:

...are you sure you're getting actual ham hocks and not trotters?

The packages say ham hocks. Are ham hocks really that meaty everywhere else? Because I'm starting to get pissed off about getting hosed over.

fake edit; I just googled ham hock and the ones on google images are WAY meatier than what I'm getting. Fuckers must be removing the meat before or after smoking and selling the skin and bones. I'll talk to the butcher about it next time I go to the market.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I found the good meaty ham hocks today, $2.50 each, but they are not smoked. The smoked ones I was buying previously are about 4 for $5. That's okay, I can add liquid smoke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Yep, no grocery around me sells hocks like that. I asked around and was recommended a local hog butcher that supposedly has them but I haven't gone over there yet. I used one of the salt cured hocks and beef stock (salted) in a pot of beans and it was too salty. So next time I'll use unsalted stock and it should be about right. Very different flavor from those salt cured hocks.

• Locked thread