Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
That's like the only bean we buy, pretty much. They cook in the same time as any other bean. That is to say, it's not a matter of variety, but a matter of how old they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Liquid Communism posted:

Go read some Upton Sinclair. If you can still eat animals after reading The Jungle, then you're set. I've killed and butchered enough of my own meat not to be too squeamish.

That said, that whole article's overwraught purple prose bullshit to sensationalize how bad the meat packing industry is in order to emphasize the (very real) lovely circumstances of the illegal immigrants working in it. It's Mother Jones, they have a distinct agenda.

The point of it isn't the animals. The point of it is the people. We shouldn't eat Spam because of the way the people who make Spam are treated.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Liquid Communism posted:

Yes, but to carry that onwards, we should all be sitting naked in an empty room, given that our clothes and consumer goods are made by people in worse conditions for vastly less recompense. Much worse. Be aware of where your food comes from, and under what conditions, but keep politics out of the kitchen.

No, politics absolutely belong in the kitchen. The lot of the people who produce the food you eat is extremely important, and it is the moral imperative of us all to ensure that our dollars do not go to supporting oppression where we find that it exists. Don't buy Hormel products, don't buy sweatshop clothes, etc. It's all part of the same thing, and it's not something we can ignore, because those people getting sick in the Mother Jones article are your brothers and sisters who deserve no less than you do.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Crazyeyes posted:

So I've tried making baked beans several times and the beans always come out hard and crunchy. What can affect beans cooking? These bastards sit on the heat for like 6 hours and they are the consistency of peanuts. I've tried a few different kinds of beans as well.

Soak overnight and then cook for 12 hours on a lower heat.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

When I buy bacon, I only buy ends and pieces. That's one of the reasons why.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

CommonShore posted:

I'm not sure what recipe you're dealing with, but if you throw rinsed, unsoaked dry beans with ample water into a covered baking dish, they'll be ready after about 90-120 minutes at 250F in the oven.

Not true at altitude, for anyone who lives high up, btw.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

A loooooot more time, as well as a little more heat.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Like double.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Epazote will help those beans a bit, too. Not just flavor, but in the "might give you gas" department.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Yer my kind of cook.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Eeyo posted:

When my parents visited me in NM for the Balloon Festival my dad bought a bag of 'Anasazi' beans from a guy by the Taos Gorge. They're very pretty:

I'm cooking them tomorrow morning, will report on gorge guy's beans.

Those are good beans.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Messaged!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I use hocks but I've never had a problem. They're always meaty.

• Locked thread