Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I'm skimming throughout the thread, but anyone have recommendations for beans to make for burritos?

Maybe something I could make for a meal with cornbread and then put in burritos later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

I think you might be looking for something like the first beans recipe in the OP or the borracho beans in the 2nd post.
Note that It's economical to cook a big batch and then freeze portions for later.

See, I had that in the back off my mind but wasn't sure. I'll just try them and go from there.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
In the recipe in the OP, is that regular salt or kosher? I erred on the side of caution and went with kosher so I can add more to my mix before tossing it in tomorrow.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Ended up being fine. More than fine. Delicious. And my wife made broccoli cheese cornbread.

And I've had three servings. I can't stop eating. So good.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
No worries! It was really good.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Posting again, but it's been like a week.

Made the beans in the op. I took some of the extra liquid (I had a lot) and used it to make some rice. Rice, some beans and goodie bits from the beans (onions, hock, etc), a little salsa, and a little cheese all rolled up in a tortilla makes for a delicious burrito lunch. Thought I'd share.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

cyberia posted:

Do you have a recipe for the broccoli cheese cornbread? That sounds amazing.

Sure! I'll dig around and post it in the morning.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Broccoli Cornbread:

1 to 1.5 sticks of butter
2 packages Jiffy cornbread mix
1 10oz package frozen, chopped broccoli, thawed but not drained
1 chopped onion
1 10oz carton cottage cheese
4 eggs
1/2 Cup shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 325F. Melt butter in a 13x9 pan. Mix together all other ingredients except cheese (do not drain broccoli). Pour batter over melted butter. Do not stir. Sprinkle top with cheddar cheese. Bake at 325F for approximately 30 minutes.

Now, that's how the recipe came to us, but we prefer more cheese than what's in the recipe. We mix in that 1/2 cup of cheese into the batter (so the recipe then becomes "melt butter, mix everything else"), then sprinkle some additional cheese on top before putting it in the oven.

E: Just asked the wife, she said definitely thaw it. No clue where I got the notion to not thaw it.

briefcasefullof fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 11, 2016

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Over the holidays, my dad gave me a chili mix - a bag of rear end Kickin' Chili Fixins. Beans are a mix of black and pinto beans. I soaked them overnight and now I've got them simmering so I can have chili tonight. I'm a little excited because I've never really done anything other than canned chili and I've never cooked beans like this before.

I mean, I know as a general rule going from scratch is usually best, but hey, I'm not turning down free spicy chili.

Update: Everything is simmering now. So far, not a whole lot of flavor... It needs more of "everything". It comes with powdered habanero, which I left out because my wife doesn't care for super spicy things like I do. I'll add some to my own bowls, along with some ghost pepper sauce and sliced jalapenos to bring the heat up to an adequate level.

Update 2: Still bland af. Added some of the powdered habanero, and then a healthy portion of liquid smoke, garlic, chili, and onion powders, and cumin. That seemed to give it a little more flavor.

briefcasefullof fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 8, 2017

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Did you add any salt?

The recipe called for 2 tsp salt, all I have is kosher so I only added 1 tsp. It also calls for undrained cans of stewed tomatoes and beef broth, both of which I though would add enough salt. Maybe I should add more? It's nearly a gallon of chili.

E: Added more salt and cumin. That did the trick.

briefcasefullof fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 9, 2017

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Whoops. Ah well, it turned out pretty good. I'd just do it from scratch next time. After all, this was just a mix of black and pinto beans with some seasonings that you add your own meat to.

Still went down deliciously with some sliced jalapenos and hot sauce.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Those are also chickpeas, right? I'm not crazy on that.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Okay, the Fourth of July is coming up. What are some good baked beans recipes?

Going to pick up a pound of white beans on the way home to soak. My plan is to soak them tonight, cook them tomorrow, and then warm them up in my dutch oven on the grill on the Fourth. Outside of onion and bacon (and some jalapeño that I can slip in...), I'm not sure what else to throw in.

Fwiw this looks promising. Smoke them tomorrow and then warm them up on the Fourth. https://youtu.be/3bPBCoRP5Lw

I do think I'd saute the veg in the bacon fat then add everything to that mix for some extra flavor.

briefcasefullof fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
FWIW I did my own take on the YouTube video above and they are looking awesome. Got them on the grill for about another hour or so until they are done.

Sometime this week I can do a write-up with some pictures if you're interested.

• Locked thread