Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
Here's a trusty recipe for a small batch of Indian-style chickpeas I thought I'd share. I always have garlic on hand and ginger in the freezer, so it's almost entirely a pantry item recipe. It makes about four servings, easy to stretch out with rice, portion and freeze.

Ingredients
  • 1 cup chickpeas, soaked overnight
  • 1 tsp. cumin seed
  • 1 tbsp. oil (canola, ghee, whatever)
  • 1 large yellow onion, diced
  • 1 inch ginger, grated
  • 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp. red chili powder (cayenne, crushed red pepper, or paprika if you don't like spicy food)
  • 1 tsp. ground coriander seed
  • ½ tsp. turmeric
  • ½ tsp. salt or to taste
  • 1 grated tomato or to taste (I either use a large tomato or two plum tomatoes; I need to figure out how much tomato paste to use to make this a true pantry item recipe)
Instructions
  1. Soak and boil chickpeas for an hour or two, until tender-ish (they will have a chance to cook more later)
  2. Meanwhile, brown cumin seeds in oil (I think until aromatic — you don't want to burn them)
  3. Add diced onion to oil and cumin seed and cook until the onion is translucent
  4. Add ginger, garlic, the other spices, and your grated tomato mixture and simmer on low covered for 15 minutes. You can add a bit of water if necessary to prevent burning.
  5. Add chickpeas to pot and water to cover. Simmer until chickpeas are tender and sauce is thick. It's okay to keep adding water until the beans reach your desired consistency. For me, I use a 5-cup pot and fill it to the top after I add the beans. Maybe slightly overkill, and takes a few hours, but my chickpeas always turn out pretty tender.
I think you can fiddle around with the recipe some, but that's the general idea. I got it from a coworker from Jaipur, and I rewrote it a bit (more tomato, grated instead of chopped; more garlic, and more water at the end), but I'd also take suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Butch Cassidy posted:

I'm doing pretty much that in a pressure cooker on delay to just have to make rice after skiing. Just plopped a goodly spoon of tomato paste in. Looking forward to it.

Oh, cool! Hope it doesn't suck!

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Butch Cassidy posted:

The kitchen smelled really good when we got home and fired up the rice cooker. Could have used some acidity but a bit of hot sauce took care of things. Using fresh or tinned tomato in place of paste may also help. But it hit the spot, went well with a beer, and we'd all gladly eat it again.

Glad to hear it! The guy who gave me the recipe said I could use chopped tomato OR dissolved tamarind paste. It always turned out a little too sweet and sour when I used only tamarind paste, so I gave up using it, but I wonder if just a pinch with tomato might be a good combination to try in the future.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
Mujaddara is one of the first recipes I learned. It's simple — just onions, lentils, rice, olive oil, and salt. It's a classic Middle Eastern dish, and I've seen the recipe lots of places, but this one is my favorite. I like the ratio she uses. When I make it, I try to get four of the biggest onions I can find. If it's too dry for you, I bet it would be good with a bit of yogurt mixed in.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Peetown Manning posted:

Ham hock question: I have never had these. How do I do the Hoppin' John recipe? Just roll those around in the pan until they're browned, remove and return for the long simmer? I desire a saucier texture rather than soupier I suppose.

Browning them seems like more trouble than it's worth? If I were you I'd just add one or two (the recipe I follow calls for 12 oz.) at the point you add the water and beans to the aromatics you've sweat/sauteed/whatever. Leave it to simmer until the beans are tender and things have thickened to your liking, and a lot of the flavor and fat will have leeched from the ham hock. Mashing some of the beans can give you a creamier texture overall if that's what you want.

To add to this whole ham hock debate, maybe the ham hocks I buy just suck, but I only ever get a small (but very tasty) nugget of meat out of my ham hocks. The rest of the hock is mostly bone and rubbery skin and sinew. If it's flavored my stew, I consider its work done.

• Locked thread