Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
MassRafTer, have you read Karl Stern's pdf "The pioneers of wrestling?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

mariooncrack posted:

MassRafTer, have you read Karl Stern's pdf "The pioneers of wrestling?"

A good deal of the early information came from that.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

On the Dave and Bryan show that was just uploaded Dave goes on a tangent and gives a nice rundown on the NWA and WWWF titles in the '60s since he was annoyed by Vince's revisionist history on the last PPV.

Some interesting info on the Rio "tournament" and a proposed Bruno/Thesz unification match I had no clue about.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Dec 16, 2013

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I find it hilarious that Ali essentially goes "I don't wanna do the job" and then gets into a shoot fight, which involves Inoki laying on his back and kicking the crap out of him.

If anything, that's more of a joke.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

There's currently a poll on wo/f4w asking "Who is the second greatest pro wrestling promoter of all time".

The choices are:

code:
    Vince McMahon Sr.
    Sam Muchnick
    Giant Baba
    Hisashi Shimma
    Rikidozan
    Jim Barnett
    Eddie Graham
    Jerry Jarrett
    Bill Watts
    Billy Sandow
    Paul Bowser
    Jack Curley
Shouldn't Toots Mondt be on the list? I always heard of him being the main promoter of the Gold Dust Trio and the guy who in many ways invented pro wrestling in it's modern form of worked entertainment rather than a fixed sport. I know he was also active and important in the industry up until the 70's as Vince Sr's partner in Capitol/WWWF and I've heard him credited as being instrumental behind Bruno's push.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Anyone that would vote for Toots Mondt is voting for Sandow or Vince Sr., I think.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Thauros posted:

There's currently a poll on wo/f4w asking "Who is the second greatest pro wrestling promoter of all time".

The choices are:

code:
    Vince McMahon Sr.
    Sam Muchnick
    Giant Baba
    Hisashi Shimma
    Rikidozan
    Jim Barnett
    Eddie Graham
    Jerry Jarrett
    Bill Watts
    Billy Sandow
    Paul Bowser
    Jack Curley
Shouldn't Toots Mondt be on the list? I always heard of him being the main promoter of the Gold Dust Trio and the guy who in many ways invented pro wrestling in it's modern form of worked entertainment rather than a fixed sport. I know he was also active and important in the industry up until the 70's as Vince Sr's partner in Capitol/WWWF and I've heard him credited as being instrumental behind Bruno's push.

I'm really tempted to vote Jerry Jarrett here, TNA's failure aside. He was insanely successful and a big part of why Memphis did so well. He also, as has been pointed out on DVDVR, probably the only non-wrestler to make money off of TNA.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'm really tempted to vote Jerry Jarrett here, TNA's failure aside. He was insanely successful and a big part of why Memphis did so well. He also, as has been pointed out on DVDVR, probably the only non-wrestler to make money off of TNA.

How long was he promoting Memphis? I know Memphis outlasted all of the other territories but I don't know when he stopped promoting it. I mean being able to survive the WWF takeover of the 80's means something, right?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

mariooncrack posted:

How long was he promoting Memphis? I know Memphis outlasted all of the other territories but I don't know when he stopped promoting it. I mean being able to survive the WWF takeover of the 80's means something, right?

He started in 1965 and went through their most successful years as a co-promoter with Lawler (and Fargo, I think). I believe Lawler bought him out in the late 80's or very early 90's. The writing was on the wall at that point.

I really want a definitive book about Memphis wrestling. Memphis Heat is a cool film but I want something more in depth.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 18, 2013

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Speaking of Memphis, could someone elaborate on how a 2007 Show/Hogan match killed Memphis Wrestling forever because I seriously can't even parse that.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

projecthalaxy posted:

Speaking of Memphis, could someone elaborate on how a 2007 Show/Hogan match killed Memphis Wrestling forever because I seriously can't even parse that.

Because it didn't draw and both asked for too much money.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

If I remember the story right:
It was originally supposed to be Hogan vs. Lawler.
That sold so well they had to upgrade the venue.
Then WWE found out what was up and pulled Lawler.
They hyped Paul Wight as the replacement.
crazy refunds were issued
and thus you get 700 people in a 20000 seat arena and everyone involved lost their shirts.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

coconono posted:

and thus you get 700 people in a 20000 seat arena and everyone involved lost their shirts.
Including the audience?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Endorph posted:

Including the audience?

It's Memphis, most people came topless anyway.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

coconono posted:

So all the "Hogan couldn't draw outside WWE - look at his Memphis match with Big Show" talk is unwarranted since WWE killed the original matchup with Lawler.

That would have been the biggest non-WWE crowd in North America since WCW, right?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

coconono posted:

I'm curious as to what the original planned finish would've been. I mean, obviously Hogan wouldn't have lost, but while Lawler has demonstrated many times he's willing to do business with anyone I can't imagine why he would agree to lose clean in Memphis to Hogan.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
They moved from the Mid-South Coliseum to the FedEx Forum because the former building wasn't in decent enough shape to host an event, it wasn't because of building size. By the time WWE pulled Lawler, tickets weren't moving well and it was already clear the show was going to be a disaster, although with Lawler they probably draw 5000 paid instead of 2500 or whatever the real number was (they papered a lot too). The real surprise was that Hogan worked a match in front of a mostly empty building at all, but I am pretty sure it ended up being a reality show related thing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

What most people around the area consider to be "Real Memphis Wrestling" died in 1997 with the USWA. Power Pro Wrestling was alright, but it was a shell of what had come before and eventually just became a poor WWE developmental area until WWE left and then it kind of morphed into MCW. Memphis Championship Wrestling was largely terrible and I never cared for it all. It was run by I believe Terry Golden who got his start running a terrible (loving awful) garbage promotion in the area called Kick rear end Wrestling. It was the worst garbage ECW ripoff poo poo that probably existed at the time. It got local air time on some stupid channel I can't remember the name of. One of those odd channels you get with rabbit ear antennas. But MCW was pretty bad, even though a it did produce a few decent things before it ended. Then just Memphis Wrestling came into being and was run by Corey Maclin (who was recently killed in a car accident) and I think that was the company the Hogan and Big Show killed.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Deadpool posted:

What most people around the area consider to be "Real Memphis Wrestling" died in 1997 with the USWA. Power Pro Wrestling was alright, but it was a shell of what had come before and eventually just became a poor WWE developmental area until WWE left and then it kind of morphed into MCW. Memphis Championship Wrestling was largely terrible and I never cared for it all. It was run by I believe Terry Golden who got his start running a terrible (loving awful) garbage promotion in the area called Kick rear end Wrestling. It was the worst garbage ECW ripoff poo poo that probably existed at the time. It got local air time on some stupid channel I can't remember the name of. One of those odd channels you get with rabbit ear antennas. But MCW was pretty bad, even though a it did produce a few decent things before it ended. Then just Memphis Wrestling came into being and was run by Corey Maclin (who was recently killed in a car accident) and I think that was the company the Hogan and Big Show killed.

The one Maclin did also did a big tag match between Lawler and Jimmy Hart (which, if you know Mempho history, is a weird pairing), vs Maclin and Terry Funk. Funk cut promos from his ranch and later transcribed them in his book. The promos were definitely good.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lawler and Hart isn't that weird a pairing. They had their battles in CWA of course but everyone knew they were good friends and all. They went to school together (my father went to the same school with them at the same time) so the pairing wasn't really that weird.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

EugeneJ posted:

So all the "Hogan couldn't draw outside WWE - look at his Memphis match with Big Show" talk is unwarranted since WWE killed the original matchup with Lawler.

That would have been the biggest non-WWE crowd in North America since WCW, right?

How is it unwarranted? They did a full build to the match and it was going to launch a nationwide tour with Hogan vs Wight matches. If Hogan can't draw in Memphis without Lawler, that is an indictment of Hogan. It flopped so hard they had to cancel all of their plans and then years later bring it back as the Hulkamania tour down under, which also flopped in the one country that was primed for a Hogan tour.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I can't imagine how terrible Hogan vs Wight match in 2007 must have been. It was garbage back in WCW, when Show was actually sort of mobile and Hogan wasn't *completely* rundown. The only positive change since WCW would be that Show isn't green as poo poo anymore, and I doubt that veteran ring general Big Show could carry them to a five star classic.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Endorph posted:

I can't imagine how terrible Hogan vs Wight match in 2007 must have been. It was garbage back in WCW, when Show was actually sort of mobile and Hogan wasn't *completely* rundown. The only positive change since WCW would be that Show isn't green as poo poo anymore, and I doubt that veteran ring general Big Show could carry them to a five star classic.

Imagine no more, the match aired nearly in full on Memphis TV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L88hQwA7Pks

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

jeffersonlives posted:

Imagine no more, the match aired nearly in full on Memphis TV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L88hQwA7Pks
I'm pretty sure Hogan and Andre once had this exact match, move for move.

EDIT: To be fair that wasn't nearly as tragic as I was expecting it to be.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 20, 2013

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Endorph posted:

I'm pretty sure Hogan and Andre once had this exact match, move for move.

Their Halloween Havoc 95 match is very much in that mold.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MassRafTer posted:

How is it unwarranted? They did a full build to the match and it was going to launch a nationwide tour with Hogan vs Wight matches. If Hogan can't draw in Memphis without Lawler, that is an indictment of Hogan. It flopped so hard they had to cancel all of their plans and then years later bring it back as the Hulkamania tour down under, which also flopped in the one country that was primed for a Hogan tour.

If Jeff Hardy tomorrow announced the "2 Xtreme Tour" headlined by a match between himself and Mistico in Mexico City, tickets started selling well, but then a few weeks before the match Mistico pulled out and was replaced by John Morrison...what happens?

Hogan obviously was going to a place where Lawler would be the draw and he could take credit for it. Still - he didn't plan on wrestling Big Show and you can't be surprised that matchup didn't draw in Memphis, especially after the town had been promised their hometown hero.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

EugeneJ posted:

If Jeff Hardy tomorrow announced the "2 Xtreme Tour" headlined by a match between himself and Mistico in Mexico City, tickets started selling well, but then a few weeks before the match Mistico pulled out and was replaced by John Morrison...what happens?

Hogan obviously was going to a place where Lawler would be the draw and he could take credit for it regardless. Still - he didn't plan on wrestling Big Show and you can't be surprised that matchup didn't draw in Memphis, after they had been promised the hometown hero.

Tickets weren't selling well, though. When Lawler pulled out they had sold like the first four rows and that was it, for a show that was scaled way cheaper than a WWE event, had a loaded undercard, and came with meet and greets and goodies and all kinds of poo poo. The refund story is also apocryphal, it was Maclin's bullshit line because he publicly claimed a few weeks out they had sold some absurd amount of tickets that was like quadruple the ultimate paid number.

The show didn't draw at all and the show nuclear bombing pretty much crushed Hogan and Hart's longstanding dream of starting their own domestic touring group, though they did ultimately give it a go internationally years later.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't seen the Memphis Heat documentary yet - does it get into the later promotions like Music City Wrestling and the PMG show, or does it just focus on 70s-80s?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Like I said for all intents and purposes Memphis Wrestling died in this area with the end of USWA. All the later promotions were relegated to television stations and times where few people even saw them. It's no wonder that show sold terribly, there was very little they could even do to advertise it given the almost complete lack of awareness of a wrestling presence in the area.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

EugeneJ posted:

If this happened they would sell virtually no tickets before the switch and then they'd be sued by Paco Alonso.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

EugeneJ posted:

I haven't seen the Memphis Heat documentary yet - does it get into the later promotions like Music City Wrestling and the PMG show, or does it just focus on 70s-80s?
It focuses on the glory days.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Flat out stolen from Pro Wrestling Only (a borderline terrible board that occasionally has interesting stuff). This is about Outlaw promotions, which were territories that would try and take on established NWA sanctioned territories with the idea of running them out of town

tamalie from PWO posted:

An outlaw was more than just a group that was outisde the NWA, AWA, and WWWF. Outlaw promotions generally ran against established promotions in towns that those established groups claimed as their own and theoretically had exclusive rights to under the established pro wrestling order. In those disputed towns the outlaws tended to have the weaker TV station (the UHF you could only pick up in the right weather) and a secondary arena (running a roller rink, school gym or auction barn instead of the local Civic Coliseum).

I don't consider the NWF to have been an outlaw. They had connections with the big offices and used lots of guys who worked elsewhere before, during, and after their association with the NWF without any political ramifications. It was the only game in town in its markets, at least on a major league level, and ran the big arenas. It was a different deal than the ICW group owned by Angelo Poffo in Kentucky which was a true outlaw.

ICW ran turf in Kentucky and Illinois that was claimed by the Memphis and Indianapolis promotions. It made grandstand challenges designed to embarrass wrestlers from its better established rivals, usually guys like Lawler and Dundee, used wrestlers who were less in demand elsewhere (blacklisting is going a bit far, for the most part, since someone capable of drawing or who had the right connections could get work in other promotions) and generally ran secondary venues in the disputed markets.

My take is the blacklisting thing is a bit overblown. If you could work and had the right connections, someone would hire you. I'd buy though that certain guys were kept out of specific promotions for reasons other than business. However there was generally always someplace else to go. Most of the guys who claimed they were blackballed out the business entirely tended to be marginal wrestlers who made political enemies.

Some outlaw groups from the old days:

- Universal Wrestling. This outfit ran against The Sheik's Detroit based territory around 1975 and 1976 and mainly consisted of guys who walked out on Farhat due to disputes over pay and bookings.

- IWA. This promotion had two phases. In 1975 and early 1976 it attempted to be a national promotion and got TV in most of the major markets. When that failed and Eddie Einhorn and TVS withdrew, what was left of the group based itself in Winston-Salem, NC and ran as a local outlaw against JCP until closing in 1977.

- Phil Golden ran a group in Kentucky around 1971-72 in opposition to Nick Gulas' Nashville office.

- Greater St. Louis Wrestling. Larry Matysik opened up a group against the NWA office which had passed to Bob Geigel and Verne Gagne after Sam Muchnick retired. This group closed up when the WWF entered St. Louis and changed the game in late 1983.

- Sunbelt Wrestling. This was a Jacksonville based effort to run against the Florida office in 1981.

- Southwest (sort of). Southwest had some bad blood with the Dallas office and was not an NWA member, but booked talent into Houston for Paul Boesch for a while and had some mainstream talent. After Boesch split with this office to go with Watts, Southwest tried to run Houston in opposition although even afterwards it had little trouble getting recognizable talent.

- Big Bear. For years Dave McKigney's Ontario group was an outlaw, bucking the system against the Toronto office.

- Superstar Championship Wrestling. Was this truly an outlaw? I've gotten the impression they butted heads with Portland and Vancouver over Seattle, but it seemed like a mainstream group.

- San Francisco (Shire). When Roy Shire opened up in San Francisco, he was an outlaw, which is why this group didn't join the NWA until the late 1960s. Joe Malcewicz was the NWA's San Francisco promoter, but he didn't have or want TV while Shire used it well. This battle lasted about a year, but was over long before then. After killing off the established promotion, Shire's company was effectively part of the establishment.

- UWA. Lou Thesz had fallen out with Nick Gulas and opened up this opposition promotion in response during 1976. He used a lot of guys who had worked for Nick in the past or who became better known wrestlers later.

- All Star Wrestling. Bob Roop, Bob Orton Jr., Ron Garvin, Boris Malenko, and Ron Wright broke off from Ron Fuller's Southeastern group in mid 1979 after accusing Ron of skimming gate money. They opened this group to compete with him in Knoxville and the surrounding towns. The war got so bitter that it killed the town. Fuller sold out to the Georgia office and left. The outlaws had to merge with ICW and then abandon Knoxville in favor of working Poffo's main circuit.

- All South. This promotion launched in November of 1972 and closed about two years later in 1974. It was born out of a dispute between the owners of the NWA affiliated office in Georgia and Ann Gunkel, the widow of Ray Gunkel who had been their managing partner. Most of the wrestlers went with Deep South, but Columbus/Macon promoter Fred Ward's decision to stick with the NWA promotion tipped the scales against the rebel group early on in the battle.

- Atlanta was pretty fertile ground for outlaws. As was mentioned, Jim Wilson and Thunderbolt Patterson tried starting opposition to Georgia Championship Wrestling in the mid 1970s. This flickered out in a hurry after a show at The Omni tanked (this is the one Wilson claimed that GCW sabotaged). Lars Anderson ran a group in the early 1980s. There was also the UWA which used mainly black wrestlers and aimed itself at black fans.

- Wrestling Show Classics. Bobby Davis ran this promotion in Ohio, centered around Cincinnati and also running Dayton, Columbus, and some other towns. This group competed with The Sheik's Detroit office which booked those Ohio towns. Davis' friend Buddy Rogers, Mark Lewin, Killer Karl Kox, and some other names of note worked here in 1969 and 1970. This group also ran the first ever wrestling card at The Spectrum in Philadelphia in the fall of 1969. Whether this was the start of a run against the WWWF, which ran the older Philadelphia Arena, or just a one shot deal is unknown since the attendance was awful and the promotion didn't return. The WWWF didn't open up at The Spectrum until 1974.

- Baron Leone attempted to run against the Los Angeles office. There is not a lot of information, but he may have made multiple attempts based on the timeline which stretches from the 1960s into the 1980s.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The IWA was pretty interesting and I should write some stuff about that. I was going to include it in the original OP but, laziness.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

The IWA was pretty interesting and I should write some stuff about that. I was going to include it in the original OP but, laziness.

Terry Funk mentions in his book that Einhorn and a wrestler named Pedro Martinez tried to get IWA on TV in Amarillo, and that Funk shared a flight with Martinez, and warned him to keep his tapes out of Amarillo. Later, Martinez tried to accuse Funk of assault and used a picture of his inflamed testicle to try and get some money out of Funk. Didn't take, but what a shitbag.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

International Championship Wrestling, the IWA was the first promotion in the US to try to go national. You obviously had national promotions in other countries, even to some extent in North America. Grand Prix was based in Quebec, but their TV was broadcast nationwide, as was Celebrity Wrestling, Paul Vachon's follow up. That makes them at least as much of a national promotion as TNA!

Anyway, Eddie Einhorn started IWA in 1975, you can see their TV opening here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr-cDm7bNBE

The first TV taping was January 6th in Savannah GA, a city in between the regular circuits of GCW, Florida and MAW. The idea was to bring in national and international stars and run a major promotion with better talent, better TV on a bigger scale. That's not what ended up happening. Many of the wrestlers they planned to bring in fell through, or left very quickly. The promotion was built on the remnants of the NWF (the world title of which Inoki ended up with in an attempt to legitimize himself) with guys like Ladd, Baker and the Mongols, and offered contracts which enticed outside talent like Tarzan Tyler, Lawler, Mascaras, etc... Well, in theory it did. Many of these outside talents that were advertised never showed, like Tyler for instance.

The IWA ended up concentrating its efforts in the Carolinas and New York market, which was probably the stupidest thing they could do. Crockett ran big shows up against theirs and Vince kept they relegated to small theaters and crappy stadiums. With some of their big name talent never really existing and an in ring product that frankly was about average, the group didn't have much to offer even if they could get into the big arenas. You can look at the videos online and see the production values were nothing special either. Einhorn lost half a million and quit by October. The group sort of stuck around and ran shows into 1976, but nothing of substance.

One thing that strikes me with IWA and many ambitious outlaw or opposition groups is how quickly promotional wars sputter out in "North American" market. With Montreal you had Grand Prix and All Star engage in a red hot promotional war that created a huge boom period and within 3 years Grand Prix was dead with All Star to die soon after. Earlier promotional wars in Montreal saw one side die after a year or two. IWA was pretty ill conceived and was dead in a year.

In almost every case you see these wars fought over not just fans, but venues. In Montreal you had All Star trying to keep Grand Prix out of the the Forum (and thus unable to get a license to promote in Montreal.) With the WWF vs anyone you have Vince keeping them out of MSG, New Haven and anywhere else he can. When Pro Wrestling USA started running the Meadowlands, Vince stopped to show them who is boss. Crockett and IWA wound up in court over Crockett trying to keep its venues exclusive. WWE to this day tries to have clauses in its contracts to keep competitors from running venues within a certain time frame of its shows. Hell, then there were the wars Vince fought with Crockett and Turner over PPV.

Meanwhile in Japan the All Japan vs New Japan war lasted on even terms for nearly 30 years before All Japan started fading, CMLL vs AAA lasted for the better part of two decades (and CMLL isn't quite done yet.) Yes I know Mexico is part of North America, but it and Puerto Rico (another market with a long standing rivalry) aren't usually counted in the North American market.

Meltzer has said many times recently that there usually isn't room for a #2 product in a market. Fans, at least in the US want to see the best. When Vince came to markets with a strong local promotion that put on a better product, he had trouble drawing in that city. When opposition groups popped up in cities, unless they could provide the best talent, they didn't survive. Even without groups like the NWA conspiring against "outlaws" it's really hard for any market to sustain a #2. When Grand Prix fought All Star, they didn't do so by presenting themselves as a second rate alternative, they brought in as many stars as they could. On top of the Vachons, Andre and Carpentier they poached the LeDucs from All Star, brought in tons of outside talent and became the hottest act in town. This forced All Star to do the same, and business was hot because both groups produced killer line ups to try and survive. Then when things cooled down, the fans didn't want to pay for a lesser product.

Now, we're seeing that in the US on a national level.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

International Championship Wrestling, the IWA was the first promotion in the US to try to go national. You obviously had national promotions in other countries, even to some extent in North America. Grand Prix was based in Quebec, but their TV was broadcast nationwide, as was Celebrity Wrestling, Paul Vachon's follow up. That makes them at least as much of a national promotion as TNA!

Anyway, Eddie Einhorn started IWA in 1975, you can see their TV opening here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr-cDm7bNBE

The first TV taping was January 6th in Savannah GA, a city in between the regular circuits of GCW, Florida and MAW. The idea was to bring in national and international stars and run a major promotion with better talent, better TV on a bigger scale. That's not what ended up happening. Many of the wrestlers they planned to bring in fell through, or left very quickly. The promotion was built on the remnants of the NWF (the world title of which Inoki ended up with in an attempt to legitimize himself) with guys like Ladd, Baker and the Mongols, and offered contracts which enticed outside talent like Tarzan Tyler, Lawler, Mascaras, etc... Well, in theory it did. Many of these outside talents that were advertised never showed, like Tyler for instance.

The IWA ended up concentrating its efforts in the Carolinas and New York market, which was probably the stupidest thing they could do. Crockett ran big shows up against theirs and Vince kept they relegated to small theaters and crappy stadiums. With some of their big name talent never really existing and an in ring product that frankly was about average, the group didn't have much to offer even if they could get into the big arenas. You can look at the videos online and see the production values were nothing special either. Einhorn lost half a million and quit by October. The group sort of stuck around and ran shows into 1976, but nothing of substance.

One thing that strikes me with IWA and many ambitious outlaw or opposition groups is how quickly promotional wars sputter out in "North American" market. With Montreal you had Grand Prix and All Star engage in a red hot promotional war that created a huge boom period and within 3 years Grand Prix was dead with All Star to die soon after. Earlier promotional wars in Montreal saw one side die after a year or two. IWA was pretty ill conceived and was dead in a year.

In almost every case you see these wars fought over not just fans, but venues. In Montreal you had All Star trying to keep Grand Prix out of the the Forum (and thus unable to get a license to promote in Montreal.) With the WWF vs anyone you have Vince keeping them out of MSG, New Haven and anywhere else he can. When Pro Wrestling USA started running the Meadowlands, Vince stopped to show them who is boss. Crockett and IWA wound up in court over Crockett trying to keep its venues exclusive. WWE to this day tries to have clauses in its contracts to keep competitors from running venues within a certain time frame of its shows. Hell, then there were the wars Vince fought with Crockett and Turner over PPV.

Meanwhile in Japan the All Japan vs New Japan war lasted on even terms for nearly 30 years before All Japan started fading, CMLL vs AAA lasted for the better part of two decades (and CMLL isn't quite done yet.) Yes I know Mexico is part of North America, but it and Puerto Rico (another market with a long standing rivalry) aren't usually counted in the North American market.

Meltzer has said many times recently that there usually isn't room for a #2 product in a market. Fans, at least in the US want to see the best. When Vince came to markets with a strong local promotion that put on a better product, he had trouble drawing in that city. When opposition groups popped up in cities, unless they could provide the best talent, they didn't survive. Even without groups like the NWA conspiring against "outlaws" it's really hard for any market to sustain a #2. When Grand Prix fought All Star, they didn't do so by presenting themselves as a second rate alternative, they brought in as many stars as they could. On top of the Vachons, Andre and Carpentier they poached the LeDucs from All Star, brought in tons of outside talent and became the hottest act in town. This forced All Star to do the same, and business was hot because both groups produced killer line ups to try and survive. Then when things cooled down, the fans didn't want to pay for a lesser product.

Now, we're seeing that in the US on a national level.

The story of how Grand Prix eventually were able to run shows in the Forum is pretty amazing. Basically, there was a rumour flying around that Jean "Johnny" Rougeau (the Stu of that family, if you will) was sleeping with legendary Canadien captain Jean Beliveau's wife. Most believed it to be bullshit, but it bothered Beliveau (it got mainstream press coverage) that Rougeau did nothing to dissuade the rumours, and Paul Vachon knew this. So he went to Beliveau. The main reason Grad Prix couldn't get dates was that the Montreal Athletic Commission wouldn't allow them to run the Forum until they had confirmed dates, which they couldn't get unless they had had the license from the MAC that MRT mentioned, who blatantly favored All Star. Once Beliveau intervened, it was no longer a factor.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Here's some old clippings the National Treasure put in various Dragon Kings.

I bet that last one got your attention and then you realized who it was. There are some even more overtly racist ones I can post later.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

MassRafTer posted:

Here's some old clippings the National Treasure put in various Dragon Kings.

A young Vince Russo discovers his passion.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

watching a Chris Adams docu here:

http://psp-tv.com/r/coconono

little more of the guy who could have been here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Adams_(wrestler)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Are these Dragon King issues available with a subscription or do you have to buy the Stern Sticks? His newsletter iss listed as an option in the archives under the Observer and F4W, but I don't see any issues available.

Those ads are incredible and I'd love to see more. Inoki (not even Antonio yet) labeled simply as "JAP GIANT". Was the KKK acronym for Killer Karl Kox intentional and part of the gimmick at all?

In addition to changes in cultural sensitivity, wrestling adverts certainly were a lot wordier then.

• Locked thread