Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Yeah I'm one of Voco's biggest fans and even I have to agree that Shred is straight-up terrible. I actually don't think I've ever played it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
I played it once after a clash where I didn't want to waste Drive. I ate Combination Brand for 5.

I think it'd be usable with stun guard 3 or Priority 5 or 6.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree
This is, again, why I think holiday promo Voco is the way to go. He gets:

-Respectable damage
-A reasonably straightforward play-style (set up board with zombies, use ante effect to bluff opponents and overcome your bad priority and minimum ranges)
-...But one that's still keeps the spirit of how you're meant to play vanilla Voco (run all over the board and throw the horns while you turn the board into a terrifying zombie mosh pit)
-...And also has a reasonably straightforward counter (keep away from zombies and be faster than him because most of his board set up is before and after activating stuff)
-Shred actually becomes useful without requiring perfect setup (you basically get two free zombies to add to damage)

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Welsie v Ottavia has ended!

Anyone up for a match? I'd love to play.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

I'm down, it's been way too long since I got a game in.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
send me your picks

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

My game has stalled, so... I wanna take a spin on the Welsie ride. I'm sure she can be played well; we've just gotta keep playing her until we actually do it. :v: Who's up for it?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3725491 wolery vs androc is up

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Is this where we play two matches simultaneously?

(I don't want it.)

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

ActingPower posted:

My game has stalled, so... I wanna take a spin on the Welsie ride. I'm sure she can be played well; we've just gotta keep playing her until we actually do it. :v: Who's up for it?

If someone who's not in the middle of a match wants in, them first.

Otherwise, I'll be your guinea pig. I want to give Magical Girl Lyrical Unpronouncable a shot.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
The trick to pronouncing Irialandradayamorella is noticing that her name basically has "Laundry Day" in the middle of it.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

Saguaro PI posted:

This is, again, why I think holiday promo Voco is the way to go.

Just tried in a match vs Adjenna, and it didn't seem horribly unbalanced!

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Gutter Owl posted:

The trick to pronouncing Irialandradayamorella is noticing that her name basically has "Laundry Day" in the middle of it.

Only if you want to be boring.

Ldsity
May 29, 2015

Which guy?

That Huang Gai?
Now that I have free time, I too would like to play a game.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Ldsity posted:

Now that I have free time, I too would like to play a game.

Sure, I'll run a match. Send me your character choice, please - or leave it up to random if you dare!

Dire Wombat
Oct 29, 2011

In this world, there is no truth. The truth is made later on and overwrites what comes before it. Real truth doesn't exist anywhere.
I am really hoping to get a chance to fight someone who isn't Welsie again. I'm up for a game anytime.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
ActingPower (Welsie) vs. Ldsity (Mikhail) is up! We're really giving Welsie a trial by fire here - two of the strongest opponents in the game, right in a row!

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree
:siren:People are getting shipping notices from the War Remastered KS:siren:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Heavy boxes own. 232 oz

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i wish i'd had the money to back it even though i've barely gotten use out of my physical copy of devastation :v:

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
I will be buying it as soon as my FLGS has a copy.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I think I'm gonna flesh out my BattleCON collection next year in a super heavy box that also contains MB.

Ldsity
May 29, 2015

Which guy?

That Huang Gai?
Welp, it's finally time to get my physical copy. It should be in by tomorrow. Here's to us. *toast, swig, slam glass down*

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
irialandradayamorella vs marmelee ended in beat 15 with a knockout, but it was pretty close at the end there. congrats to both players for having an engaging match

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
That was a crazy game. Kind of surprised I squeezed what I could out of Marmelee. Whatever her effectiveness level might be at, she sure isn't very fun to play. Ensuring nothing effectively happens from beat to beat certainly isn't most exciting tactic to embrace.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah, she's not necessarily weak but she only has a certain number of moves she can really do when her concentration is low

i think i personally like characters who have more options from beat-to-beat, like brawlers and such

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Alright folks, I have a question: As you may know, I am working on custom characters. We are looking for good characters to test against, and are looking for the "best" or "most fair" in each of the following categories:

1) Pressure
2) Heavyweight/Defense
3) Mobility
4) Keepaway

Does anyone have any suggestions for characters to test against, or even testing strategies or methods?

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Best Heavyweight is Mikhael on offense, Cadenza on defense.

Best pressure, I'd say Clinhyde maybe? He's a bit odd, but he's very hard to slow down.

Best mobility is Tanis. Best keepaway is Kaitlynn.

Best disruptor is also a category, and goes to Arec, Ottavia, or Lixis.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree
I'd say Shektur is probably the best pressue character, but Clinhyde is up there.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Alexian was my first thought for pressure to be honest.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

As of right now, we had

Pressure: Shekhtur
Heavyweight: Alexian
Mobility: Pendros
Keepaway: Ottavia

I'm only confident of my Shekhtur choice there.

I fully agree with Gutter Owl's Heavyweight choices.

Mobility is definitely Tanis instead of Pendros, though I like Pendros for testing purposes. We'll probably go with Tanis anyway.

I have a huge problem with Kaitlyn as the keepaway character in that I feel her matchups are very polarizing. If the character she's facing can get through her wormholes, she loses (Clive, Karin/Jager, and Tanis, to name a few) since she doesn't have good close range tools. But if they can't (say, Kaija), she just wins. I don't feel she has a middle ground, and is therefore bad for testing. I feel Ottavia or Byron would be better.

Edit: As for Disruptor (I totally agree that this is a thing), Arec is just too powerful to even consider for testing. Using him as a benchmark means the characters we're creating would end up with a higher power curve to deal with him. How is Lixis for power? She definitely looks like a good choice for that category.

OmegaGoo fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 26, 2015

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Alexian vs. Oriana has ended!

Ready to run another match. First come, first serve!

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Hmmmm. Do I want to pick my character or leave my fate to the whims of chance?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

OmegaGoo posted:

The wheel of fate is turning :v:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO PLAY A GAME.

Dire Wombat
Oct 29, 2011

In this world, there is no truth. The truth is made later on and overwrites what comes before it. Real truth doesn't exist anywhere.
I will take on all comers.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

OmegaGoo posted:

Oh, I'm sure your SHSL Good Luck will pull through.

OmegaGoo and Kai Tave, please send me character choices (or random)!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Wol posted:

Oh, I'm sure your SHSL Good Luck will pull through.

OmegaGoo and Kai Tave, please send me character choices (or random)!

Well you seem to think that I'll dig Ottavia Sixaxis and you've never only steered me wrong once so far, so let's go with that.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Oh wait, I'm facing Kai Tave? Picking a character seems... mean. Random it is!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

OmegaGoo posted:

Oh wait, I'm facing Kai Tave? Picking a character seems... mean. Random it is!

Hey now, I'll have you know I've won at least one game here pal.

• Locked thread