Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Kai Tave posted:

Well you seem to think that I'll dig Ottavia Sixaxis and you've never only steered me wrong once so far, so let's go with that.

Well, I hate Ottavia, so it's time for...something interesting. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
gently caress it, trial by fire. Learn by incredible death, let's do it.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
OmegaGoo (Seth) vs Kai Tave (Ottavia) is up!

To clarify the above comment, Ottavia appears in a ton of games on here because 1) she's cool as hell, and 2) she's one of the strongest characters in the game. I'm just kind of sick of seeing her. I didn't give OmegaGoo a character that I think will counter Ottavia (she's strong enough that I don't think one exists), I gave him one that should make for a bit of a different game than your bog standard Ottavia match.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I forgot it was Trasson who recommended her and not you OH WELL. It was a coinflip between that and Karen and Jager so, y'know, overused either way.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Wol posted:

I didn't give OmegaGoo a character that I think will counter Ottavia (she's strong enough that I don't think one exists)
What about Priority-Difference Dog, what's her name?

That still wouldn't be a good match, it'd be very one or the other, but she's as good a counter as there is.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree
Shektur and Demitras are also reasonably solid counters. Ottavia has issues because their speed increases the range of viable moves and makes prediction harder.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Poison Mushroom posted:

What about Priority-Difference Dog, what's her name?

That still wouldn't be a good match, it'd be very one or the other, but she's as good a counter as there is.

Lymn? Lymn is a terrible counter! Ottavia has far too many tools and priority shenanigans that two of Lymn's most powerful tools, Fathomless and Reverie, are useless. Granted, Chimeric is extra good in that matchup, but overall it's not pretty for the dog.

I've had the best luck with Malandrax and Tanis (because they're my best characters), but in general, Malandrax turns every matchup into a skill matchup and Tanis's mobility beats half of Ottavia's kit (her keepaway game).

Edit: Since we're talking about Ottavia (and really strong characters in general), who do people tend to think is the strongest?

I think the list last time this came up was Ottavia, Arec, Karin/Jager, and Iaxus (at least for Devastation)? Ottavia and Arec I am definitely in agreement with. Karin/Jager are possibly on the strong end, sure, but I don't think they break the curve, and I have yet to see Iaxus played well, so I couldn't tell you how good he actually is.

OmegaGoo fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 27, 2015

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
IMO the S-tier of characters includes Ottavia, Malandrax, Sagas, Arec, and I'll tentatively put Jager in there even though I haven't seen him played yet. I'd like to put Iaxus in there but I want to play him more to find out for sure. He has some fantastic tools but I think he's a bit more counterable than the others on this list.

The key to why I think these guys are the S-tier is in how much safety they have. Take Ottavia's Cover, for example. It completely and unquestionably stuffs any move that's slower than it, so you think it'd be a bit weak against faster moves, right? Nah, it has Soak and Stun Guard anyway so you're basically fine. Arec and Malandrax have options to ante every beat that completely shut down a wide swath of the opponent's moves. Sagas and Jager have some stuff like Ottavia that heavily rewards you for predicting a move right, but if you're wrong...eh, your move is probably still better than theirs anyway. All these guys can be as powerful as most other characters when you predict your opponent properly, but what really makes them a cut above the rest is they all give you a ton more room to work with due to how many bases they cover, and they're not punished much for being wrong.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Um, excuse me.

Not one mention of mister "no, you don't stun me"? My golden boy, the Tillinghast machine that teleports you into an overlapping plane of getting your face bashed in! The robot so good, it got an official optional nerf and even with it, STILL destroys anything in its path. The only character who's so good, it gets boring to play it!

Cadenza! :psylon:

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Poison Mushroom posted:

Um, excuse me.

Not one mention of mister "no, you don't stun me"? My golden boy, the Tillinghast machine that teleports you into an overlapping plane of getting your face bashed in! The robot so good, it got an official optional nerf and even with it, STILL destroys anything in its path. The only character who's so good, it gets boring to play it!

Cadenza! :psylon:

Haven't lost to Cadenza yet - unless you want to take a shot?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The gauntlet has been thrown! How can I refuse?

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008

Wol posted:

IMO the S-tier of characters includes Ottavia, Malandrax, Sagas, Arec, and I'll tentatively put Jager in there even though I haven't seen him played yet. I'd like to put Iaxus in there but I want to play him more to find out for sure. He has some fantastic tools but I think he's a bit more counterable than the others on this list.

The key to why I think these guys are the S-tier is in how much safety they have. Take Ottavia's Cover, for example. It completely and unquestionably stuffs any move that's slower than it, so you think it'd be a bit weak against faster moves, right? Nah, it has Soak and Stun Guard anyway so you're basically fine. Arec and Malandrax have options to ante every beat that completely shut down a wide swath of the opponent's moves. Sagas and Jager have some stuff like Ottavia that heavily rewards you for predicting a move right, but if you're wrong...eh, your move is probably still better than theirs anyway. All these guys can be as powerful as most other characters when you predict your opponent properly, but what really makes them a cut above the rest is they all give you a ton more room to work with due to how many bases they cover, and they're not punished much for being wrong.

I definitely agree with everyone on that list except maybe Sagas, but that's because I can't confirm or deny- never had a chance to play with him. Iaxus is strong but has a natural progression where he runs out of gas. Like, you start with your advantageous plane or two, getting the advantage you need that pressures the opponent in question- and then you eventually have to pick something like +range against a brawler or +power against a disruptor and you have to try and just land those last one or two exchanges. He's also susceptible to burst- his options are strong, like Seismic, but if he takes 6-9 damage in one turn his clock doesn't matter. Good, but not Arec-tier. I've complained before that I think Jager is really, really dumb just on raw numbers. I'd tentatively put Thesslia Three in S tier- she's got a decent number of gimmicks and evasion on top of being able to get an overwhelmingly large amount of whatever stat she wants, with relative ease.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

The thing about Sagas and Iaxus is that they are toolbox characters, and toolbox characters tend to be pretty strong regardless. Clive isn't on the list despite (quite literally) being a toolbox character because A) his blue style is next to useless and B) his tools are pretty easy to take away.

Iaxus's planes don't even begin to cover the nonsense he has just on his styles, and Sagas has the capability to use his opponent's tools against them.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

I played Devastation of the Indines with a friend and he liked it, but thought it was too much (agreed). Between War, Devastation, and Fate, what's the best for a new player who only cares about one on one and being able to pick up and play with new people?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

The worst submarine posted:

I played Devastation of the Indines with a friend and he liked it, but thought it was too much (agreed). Between War, Devastation, and Fate, what's the best for a new player who only cares about one on one and being able to pick up and play with new people?

Fate is the smallest and cheapest box and has the least number of extraneous extra options to get distracted by, and ten characters is enough to last for a while.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what's the overall difficulty level on the characters like

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

Tollymain posted:

what's the overall difficulty level on the characters like

A good spread, divided into a Beginner tier and Advanced tier, although I'd say they trend more difficult than either War or Devastation.

I always found it kind of odd that they'd bill an expansion where the characters were selected by popular vote as a Beginner's Version. Especially seeing as how a lot of the votes would be coming from veterans looking for new and interesting mechanics. I know that's largely counterbalanced by the lack of extra bits and small number of fighters, but still.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I would say War is probably a better starter set. It's not as sophisticated as Devastation, but most of its characters are easy to pick up and learn compared to Fate, and it's already gone though a set of rebalances to improve it quite a bit from launch.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Yeah, but War is just getting remastered, right? Wouldn't it be better to get that a little later?
I picked up Devastation from Cardhaus a few days ago for $42, so I'm finally jumping into this world (which is odd because I own Pixel Tactics and Sellswords which feature the characters, too).

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

JazzFlight posted:

Yeah, but War is just getting remastered, right? Wouldn't it be better to get that a little later?
I picked up Devastation from Cardhaus a few days ago for $42, so I'm finally jumping into this world (which is odd because I own Pixel Tactics and Sellswords which feature the characters, too).

It'll be coming out the same time as Fate. And the remastering is just a few balance changes and art updates. I'd agree with ARB, it's a better first set, with only 15 characters, those characters probably being the simplest overall in the game.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
On a different note, who's going to GenCon? Though we have a thread for that, last year I didn't know a lot of folks from this thread were attending until the BattleCON tournament, so I figure it's worth asking to get in some Level 99 play before (and maybe after) the tournaments.

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
It's the only event I pre-signed up for (I usually faff my way into things with Generics). Looking forward to getting obliterated! Hope this isn't a force gauge tournament or I'll be even more destroyed.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

I unfortunately will not be going this year. I really want to, I had a great time last year, but I don't have the time or :homebrew: this year.

Someone from SA better win that tourney this year.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
I'll be at the show for work again, but I don't know if I'll be able to compete. Can't really sign up for anything in advance, cuz the client reserves the right to reschedule us onsite.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Random question:

How does Sagas's Negation interact with other Reveal effects? Since they all go off at the same time (Special Actions notwithstanding), would something like Alexian's Regal and Aria's Ionic work properly?

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

According to the ref sheets, Negation is not a reveal effect, it's a static effect. So it will preempt Reveal effects.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Gutter Owl posted:

According to the ref sheets, Negation is not a reveal effect, it's a static effect. So it will preempt Reveal effects.

Thanks. I was going by the wiki, and I definitely trust you guys more than it.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Okay, perhaps I am stupid, but I can't seem to wrap my head around all these expansions/versions.

So, War of the Indines is the original, right? And the Kickstarter was for War Remastered, which is the thing listed under BattleCON: War on their website, right?

(It says
Expected Release Date: July 2015
Players: 2, with rules and variants for 1-5 players
Play Time: 30-60m
Play Weight: Moderate (some learning curve)
Series: BattleCON
MSRP: $50.00

so I assume so)

And War: Extended is an expansion pack, as are all of these other things, right? And Devastation of Indines is great and also standalone with it's own poo poo, but Devastation and War can be mixed, as well as all appropriate expansion content for either?

edit: oh god BattleCON Strikers doesn't have a page on the site, just a splash image

John Lee fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jul 9, 2015

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree
Alright, here is how it works!

You've got three standalone sets. You can buy any of these and play the game just fine, and they're all compatible:
-War of Indines was the first set, with 15 fighters.It has recently been redone as War remastered, and that's what you'd buy now.It's the same, with updated mechanics and art.
-Devastation of Indines is the second set. It's much larger than War, with 30 fighters and a bunch of expansion content.
-Fate of Indines is the most recent set, with 10 characters voted on by backers of the War remastered KS.

Then you've got the Expansions!
-Strikers , Armoury and Light and Shadow just adds variant mechanics and can be mixed and matched with any of the sets, although for the latter to be worth it you probably want both War and Devastation.
-War Extended and Devastation Extended are expansions for their respective standalones, providing alternate standups of fighters and alternate powers for fighters in their sets.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Alright, cool. So if I wanted to buy one thing, the general consensus seems to be to start with Devastation?

(so hype to have rad anime fights with my friends)

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I would start with Date whenever it releases. Around twenty bucks for ten fighters and a much more portable box. Also, it includes a board with the updated start positions. It's very likely to be a game you don't get to break out often, so spending twenty bucks is a lot easier than spending 50-70, depending on the retailer and the sale. We also have some play by post games running if you want a glimpse. Of the game play.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

This poo poo's getting a lot more confusing. We should probably add something to the OP.

Alternately, it's been two years, three core sets, and a dickload of new games since gnome7 launched the thread. Maybe it's time for a new one?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Gutter Owl posted:

This poo poo's getting a lot more confusing. We should probably add something to the OP.

Alternately, it's been two years, three core sets, and a dickload of new games since gnome7 launched the thread. Maybe it's time for a new one?
Maybe. I'd say the latter if gnome7 isn't feeling up to overhauling the OP.

Level 99 Games: No, Not Yomi, The Other One

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I am all for a new thread with a different person as OP, as much as I love this series a lot of y'all post in here way more than I do and keep up with stuff a lot better than me.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Alright. I'll call dibs and get the new thread up tonight. Any objections?

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Gutter Owl posted:

Alright. I'll call dibs and get the new thread up tonight. Any objections?

Gopher it!

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
Level 99 Games - Fuzzy Staff vs. Slippery Knuckle

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Level 99 Games: The OP Is The Final Boss

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Poison Mushroom posted:

Level 99 Games: The OP Is The Final Boss

I vote for this one.

Or

Level 99 Games: I Edited This Post Good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

BattleCON and Lvl 99: I Clearly Cannot Choose the Fist In Front of Me
BattleCON and Lvl 99: My Anime Can Beat Up Your Anime
BattleCON and Lvl 99: Aha! You Obviously Did Not Expect Me to Be an Idiot

• Locked thread