Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Definitely had it's moments but was probably the weakest of the season. Something about the episode felt very...Futurama-y. (Which isn't meant to denigrate Futurama but the zany tone doesn't really fit this show). Was anyone clamoring for more Principal Vagina and Goldenfold?

Keith David and Bird Person are always a treat though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Hot drat this show is hitting on all cylinders. Maybe the moment least appreciated in this thread was when Rick hover his hand over the "Expel Passengers" button while Jerry and Beth are arguing.

the Beth monster also taking a cue from how the Aliens escape in Alien Resurrection was also incredible

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Interesting shift this season in that Morty has become a bit more confident and less poo poo on by Rick, while Summer is the one suffering more from Rick's carelessness (Keep Summer Safe) and spite (being shamed by Tiny Rick at school). There's some Venture Brothers type mini-growth going on there.

Anyway that's all the thinking I'm gonna put into a show designed by a couple giant nerd men.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Well the joke is that he looks like he's disturbed by the attacks but was actually disturbed by how the US government will use it to strip people's freedoms.

I think the thing about Rick is that he is both a supergenius with technology and know-how that none of us can possibly understand, and a totally average everyman with relatable needs and desires. I mean think of all the energy he goes through to get a defunct sauce from a fast food chain in 1998. So of course he was disturbed by 9/11, because he still has some sentimental attachments to what goes on Earth, even when he's totally disaffected in other ways.

I love how much attention was paid to calling back to previous episodes and simultaneously wiping out any possibility of continuity - the Cronenbergs, the Council of Ricks, the Galactic Federation, all of them wrapped into the storyline and then obliterated. We're back to square one in terms of what the show can do, which is, whatever the hell they want to do.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Things go "too perfectly" for rick all the drat time, milking drama out of Earth being taken over and Beth and Summer crying over Rick being missing for multiple episodes isn't the kind of show that this is and the status quo of Rick being revealed as both unstoppable and a real piece of poo poo and Jerry off doing something else is far more likely.

Yeah I think the funny thing is that for all the sci-fi and action elements none of that stuff every *really* poses a threat to Rick - he can always get through it. What really endangers Rick are his emotional hang-ups: the Unity episode, his conflicted attachment to his grandkids and family, even jealousy like with the Stephen Colbert episode.

• Locked thread