Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I dropped this show for a while because the first episode was kind of unimpressive and too mean-spirited. But it's gotten fantastic afterwards (at episode 4). It has the comedy of Futurama, the willingness of stuff like early Adventure Time to thrown in everything, and still manages to keep it somehow grounded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Zaphod42 posted:

I end up liking it way more than I ever did Futurama or Adventure Time both. Futurama was entertaining but wasn't very laugh-out-loud funny very often, while Rick & Morty often has me laughing my rear end off. And Adventure Time was creative but a little too random for me, while Rick and Morty seems really random it manages to maintain an important thread of logic.

I especially like how it's so far stuck to a disorienting, dystopic feel, when Futurama dropped that aspect early on. Including the family drama was a masterstroke.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Just powered through the second season, and I enjoyed a lot more than the first, which suffered from a bit of hype for me. The only thing I don't like is those sad endings accompanied by a song, it always feels like they're trying to force an emotional pay-off when it doesn't necessarily gel with comedy.

e: But come to think of it, there were only two, so it's not even a big deal.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Oct 20, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Someone that goes off on hours long rants at any perceived slight, and then it turns out he has completely misunderstood the point he was mad about in the first place? Seems like a recipe for success imo

I guess in retrospect Jerry is kind of an obvious self-insert.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I have to ask why people obsess over these two particular showrunners so much more than like any others, ever?

Cults gonna cult

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I heard he sucks his own dick. He is a piss man. I don't like him.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Dan Harmon is a zoophile, supports Republicans, Jobbik, and Golden Dawn, and once yelled in a podcast.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I wish they'd assign a function for me :smith:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I wouldn't want to take your job.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

a shameful boehner posted:

How come Jerry is the only one in Total Rickall not to have a bad memory flashback?

He is a parasite, just not a space parasite, so his memories don't matter.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Stealthed Zombie posted:

Did a robot generate this poo poo or something?

"You write cartoon news"

"Oh my god"

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The movie improved on a lame comic.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I don't agree. Despite improving art, the comic read just like an average niche webcomic throughout, only with better production values. The movie took the perfectly functional core and made it good.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Propaganda Machine posted:

I liked the Scott Pilgrim movie.

I don't detest Michael Cera.

I LOVED the Scott Pilgrim comics.

I think Michael Cera was a terrible Scott Pilgrim and it nearly killed the movie for me.

I get that Michael Cera's typecast is the shy weird awkward geek, but those guys aren't all made alike. Scott Pilgrim, to me, was less the Cera-type weird and more just an invisible shadow of a human. He exists in a basement apartment, has no job, has virtually zero possessions, and exists almost entirely on the kindness of others. He develops a stronger personality when he falls for Ramona, and his arc is about growing up and into a person.

I just didn't get any of that from Michael Cera. Besides, he had the wrong look, and isn't that what Hollywood is about, anyway?

But I still liked the movie! Great soundtrack, ballsy art direction, and all of the other performances were on point. Besides which, it tickles my fancy to see Toronto in a movie as itself, for once :3:

Not My Scott Pilgrim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I'm still glad that recurring plot elements and characters keep getting destroyed and killed.

• Locked thread