Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I saw Lawnmower Dog and fell in love right there. I agree it was a lot better then the first episode, but the pilot still had it's moments. Mainly the whole dimensional airport scene and anything related to the frozen bully.

Hopefully in the future we'll be able to say "It sure was weird how in the first episode Rick belched so much more then usual and didn't get along with Morty nearly as well".

A nice little moment I love is how Rick puts Morty to sleep and lets him land on the floor, then gets comfortable on the beanbag to put himself to sleep.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Android Blues posted:

Well, he also has a firm belief that school is no good for you and rots your brain, so although he does seem amoral in other ways, he seems to see keeping Morty out of school as doing him a genuine favour.

He also could have been just saying that to convince Morty and/or his parents, though.

muscles like this? posted:

I think my absolute favorite part of the episode has to be the idea that the whole dream thing happened because Morty got Rick to watch Inception. Rick hated it so much that he invents a dream entering machine just to show Morty how stupid the whole thing is.

"If that's confusing, well, so is everyone's favorite movie."

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Typical posted:

But he does NEED Morty, Morty is his little helper...

The way you phrase that is half way between cute and creepy.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Pick posted:

This was my favorite line of the night. I am shocked at how much this show has endeared itself to me in one day.

The Pirates of the Pancreas was the best running gag yet. The payoff at the end was amazing.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Last Chance posted:

Yeah I don't think his age/mental age are going to be very sturdy things. In the first episode, his class was doing simple addition tables during math class..

That doesn't necessarily mean he's younger then fourteen. There are plenty of classes for people who are bad at math, and stuff like that sounds par the course, along with things like simple fractions, multiplication, and sometimes division. I am, in fact, typing this message from one such class(and I'm older then Morty). Him being in a specialized class like that would be consistent with Morty missing so much learning because of Rick.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Dec 17, 2013

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Frostwerks posted:

Well now we know why you're in remedial math.

It was a slow day because of semester tests in other classes, so we didn't have any work to do.

muscles like this? posted:

Eh, in the first episode Morty talks Rick down from blowing up the world by being assertive.
Hey, that was the point of Rick's :airquote:test:airquote:, after all.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

That Rough Beast posted:

He just has this weird honor code/anti-fakeness/refusal to compromise thing going on to an excessive degree.

Don't forget his hatred for bureaucracy and being told what to do.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Typical posted:

The network cares and does censor things. They usually send us back notes on some of the production art if they wanted it to be changed. For instance. they didn't want too too much gore, I had to re-color an alien intestine pink because they didn't want it to look too real.

An alien intestine has to be pink, but the ending of Anatomy Park was allowed? :stonk:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Best after credits scene yet.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

JT Jag posted:

I just have one question about the last episode. When Rick froze the simulation, how did Sim-Morty remain uneffected? I'm guessing that the aliens just dedicated pretty much the entirety of the simulation's memory to Morty, which is why the rest of the sim was so lovely.

The rest of the simulation wasn't so lovely though. They never left the simulation until the very end, and it was never really frozen to begin with.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The episode was really all about that in the end. It's a neat little detail that the "no..." only comes when he saw it Morty flickering, foreshadowing that he knew they were still in the simulation and had them beat, but he was still devastated because the the person he cared about and trusted as his best friend subverted his trust.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Disconnecticus posted:

I'm pretty sure on a rewatch that Rick was aware of what was going on all along. The "oh no" was only acting for the sake of making sure they believed he bought into it. The very start of the episode was Rick complaining about Marty being a simulation.

also: progeria kid in the classroom

That's because he expected Morty to be a simulation, but then realized he was different then all the other inhabitants of the first layer, who were all very robotic.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Drifter posted:

You're missing the point. Why would he drive a smaller toaster with wheels?

I mean, does your car look like a smaller version of your house? No.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Edited on request.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 27, 2014

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I sense Jerry causing a nervous breakdown in the stickmen.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm rooting for the Meseeks. gently caress you, Jerry.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

feedmyleg posted:

I have a feeling that's going to get the poo poo misquoted out of it by people who don't get the joke.

It's still an rear end way to deal with the issue.

:(: "There was traumatizing imagery in this show".

:roflolmao: "Hey, that could have been celery for all we know!"

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I missed the episode and watched it on Youtube afterwards. This was probably my favorite yet. I actually liked the stinger, if only for Summer recreating Jaws.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Tokubetsu posted:

I don't hate any of the characters but Jerry has pushed it. The Meseeks stuff was unbearable. He's just so awful and sad at everything I actually found myself wanting the Meseeks to murder him.

I was also this way, but less out of hatred for Jerry and more out of sympathy and pity for the poor Meseeks. This episode redeemed him just a little. It shows, at least, that the potential is there.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I figured that they can't die without fulfilling their task, and the extreme pain and suffering existence brings them is the proverbial fire under their asses to motivate them to do their tasks and do it as well as they can.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

CelticPredator posted:

You got featured on the facebook!

Now tell me how you did it....

He had a Meeseeks do it for him.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Mr Meeseeks, I would like to make a thread in GBS without a poster telling me to kill myself.

Users of GBS suddenly start dying in droves. But it's not enough. More people could sign up. First, it's just the trolls of the internet by likelyhood to tell someone to commit suicide, but soon everything falls to a horrible, bloody, blue onslaught as a horde of Meeseeks tear across the world, until Jonas Albrecht is the only remaining person left alive. One by one the Meeseeks die, until there is only one left.

"You know, what if you tell yourself to kill yourself? I'm a stickler Meeseeks!"

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Is this a better or worse world fate than everyone ending up as Cronenbergs?

Everyone ending up as Cronenbergs isn't that bad if you are originally from a world where everyone was already Cronenberged.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ariza posted:

the Dad's Appley

That subplot(and it's pay off at the end) was the best part of the episode, honestly.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
While watching it, I kept thinking the entire time that "still good, not nearly as good as the others" would be the reaction from a lot of people, and me included. I watched it with my dad and I was a little disappointing that was the one he was introduced to the show on, but he laughed a few times and seemed to like it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
"Women can't go on adventures because they might get raped" is misogynist too, though.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Air is lava! posted:

Mortys parents seem to be even bigger assholes than Rick. How is that even possible? At least with him you feel something like genuine affection. I hope there will be an episode which showcases the relation between Morty and his parents a little bit more. It seems realy cold and practical right now.
Wait! Morty is an even worse parent. Maybe the lesson we have to take from it is "humanity just gets worse at this every time."

Beth did try to comfort Morty at the end, at least.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Occupation posted:

Hey hcreight, it's me, gazorpazorpation.

Boy, gently caress you hcreight, you dumb, stupid IDIOT.

You white guilt, milquetoast piece of human garbage!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
They were just so excited to see the fake doors commercial start up again.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
:argh: "Is everyone on your planet an idiot!?"

:downs: "For sure me and my dad are."

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Funkmaster General posted:

"Rick and Morty will return in two weeks!"

... Okay this is getting old, guys.
I'm getting annoyed by the gaps between episodes too. At least it's going to be well worth the wait, the preview looked incredible. I really can't wait to see how that goes, and I'm glad a big thing like that wasn't a one off thing.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Summers has such strange, almost whimsical, sense of morality. She’s willing to help The Devil himself as long as he’s nice to her and treats her with respect. She refused to deprive Snuffles of sentience even though he was clearly dangerous because that would be “Indian giving”. She’s clearly has a strong desire to do the right thing, but her idea of what’s right doesn't quite match what’s socially acceptable.

She’s also not above using steroids to get super buff with her grandpa so they can punch Satan in the face when he tries to Zuckleberg her, which is pretty awesome in and of itself.

She also beat up bullies and homophobes though, so I'd say she has some strong sense of morals. She probably justified the Devil to herself as the items teaching lessons.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

Notice the last word on the sign changes to "you" right before it goes down :tinfoil:

That is bloody GIR level of subtlety.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
My problem with the pilot was that it seemed like Rick was way more of an rear end in a top hat who was possibly losing his mind. Still love the "Rick and Morty for a hundred years" rant though.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Congratulations Typical! You sure have a dream job. Better make sure this news isn't a low power simulation.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Space T Rex posted:

If anybody remembers me, I hereby formally retract my opinion that Rick gives me a gandalf-only-use-magic(science)-when-necessary vibe. He actually makes sentient butter passing robots.

A subtle funny thing is that he made it sentient at all. It was completely unnecessary. He might as well(and probably did) have included pain receptors.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Space T Rex posted:

Rewatching Rick Potion #9, I like how Morty moving to a new universe and having to bury his own corpse in his own backyard is all the end result of a butterfly effect because he wouldn't hand Rick a screwdriver when asked to.

If he did though, they'd be dead. It balances out.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Space T Rex posted:

Based on Rick's use of the words "dimension" and "universe(s)", it seems that there are infinite universes, making up the multiverse; but then seemingly also multiple (infinite?) multiverses, each of which he calls a separate dimension. I speculate this just because it is how I am imagining him to use the words, with very little context. But makes sense to me. Don't think about it.

E: Actually has he ever even said "universe" or does he just toggle between dimension and reality? I've got to stop thinking about it.

From the way they say "Earth dimension [numbers and letters]", I think individual dimensions make up the multiverse.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
That Rick was a great friend. What he told Jerry about his coin collection was positively heartwarming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Wierdo Rick is slightly more evil then our Rick/the Rick that Robo tRick thought he was, and slightly less evil then Robot Rick.

I'm starting to think the Rick in the titles aren't really theme naming so much as how the people involved in the production started talking after continued discussion of this episode, and they didn't notice till it was too late that they slipped the word into everything.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 9, 2014

• Locked thread