Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I haven't laughed so hard at a show in more than a decade! It's the funniest thing I've seen on TV since Chappelle's Show.

My friend told me about this show not even a month ago, so I rather enjoyed the break from story-telling to just let the show riff for an episode. Bringing it back around at the end was touching, but I have a feeling they are just setting us up with feel-good to make it a bigger impact when they punch us in the gut with nihilism at the end of the season. The callbacks to previous episodes gave the show a surprisingly serial feel for something so inherently episodic. I'm excited to see what more they do with that, especially since most shows like this seem to find it easier to just whitewash everything after each episode.

What's the word on this getting renewed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I like that you hear them losing it at the end of some of the bits, similar to when the actors crack up on SNL: it's kind of infectious when you know the people making the show are having fun.

I also felt like it was a play on the meta-joke of Rick obviously making up or mispronouncing various inventions and concepts he uses. So much sci-fi has to be thought-out that I don't get tired of the show constantly pointing out that everything is made up as one of the running gags. :techno:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

TheModernAmerican posted:

That was tremendous.

I'm loving the little things, when Morty walks in after being sent home from Pluto Rick says "Hey! Er... Hey." Awesome to see characters this detailed.

I don't know why the Buttertron's dejectedly lobbing an entire stick of butter into Rick's TV dinner right before this cracks me up so much, but I can't stop giggling about it.

I also loved the bewildered look of bystanders in the gym at the end, giving the impression that it wasn't a montage so much as a few hours (Turbulent Juice?)...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I was laughing too hard to notice Rick trying to out- :cawg: the devil on my first viewing! That may be my new favorite single-serving-visual-gag of the season, as it perfectly encapsulates Rick's personality in a gif-worthy format.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Bobulus posted:

What if the guilty Rick is the one that died and is buried in the back yard? And they just assume it's (our) Rick because he's in the dimension that all the murder portals came from?

I was thinking this too until I just rewatched Raising Gazorpazorp and Rick says he's from "Earth Dimension C137," so I guess Story-Rick is the maniac afterall (or at least the Rick they were looking for)! :v:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I think the word is that "deadlines are hard" so it slipped to next week. :shrug:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Occupation posted:

It's almost like there are multiple rick and morty episodes in existence

Don't think about it.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Typical posted:

I hope you guys are ready for season 2, Its gearing up soon, And this year I will be returning as a :siren: Prop Designer :siren:

A Prop for you non production people is a object that a character interacts with, So all the spaceships, spoons, gadgets, vehicles you see in season 2 will be draw by me! hopefully. Unless the art director wants to do it himself.

Oh also you better watch Community this Thursday, for the GI JOE episode. Me and my Goon girlfriend animated and designed on it. we also lost a lot of sleep over it. But I wont go into that.

I hadn't heard for certain that you got renewed, so that is amazing news! Congratulations on the promotion and another season!

Uhhh, maybe I'm ignorant, but I get the impression season one is still being worked on...are they banging out new scripts and voice tracks for the new season while you all are still animating the last one? Is this typical or was it a quick renewal and they wanted a fast turnaround?

You were doing the coloring on season one, yeah? Maybe characters next year? What is above props? :3:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Miltank posted:

oh my god they just kicked the poo poo out of steve jobs, a skinhead, and that bully from Recess.

X gonn give it to ya

Not to derail, but this is how the DMX-Zimmerman fight would have played out in my mind's eye.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Space T Rex posted:

Yes Xboxpants but sometimes science is easy!

Science is more art than science, Morty...people don't get that.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

WeLandedOnTheMoon! posted:

I'll ask one more time if there are any kind goons out there that wouldn't mind avataring a gif from the Turbulent Juice commercial.

Also, I noticed this toast dude during the last episode and I thought he was pretty cool.

Judging by the chain, it turns toast into gold?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Fellbat posted:

Everything robo-Rick said was actually evil Morty right? So that whole thing Robo-Rick said about no Rick ever caring about a Morty was probably evil Morty hinting at his history.

Gives a new meaning to his "my symphony" comment too. It was literally a symphony oh hims!

I love the fulfillment for everyone who thought there must be a dimension where Morty is the genius. And of course he is evil, eye-patch Morty! And our Morty is the One True Mortiest Morty!

I'm starting to question my tastes, as this episode was the funniest thing I have seen on TV in a decade! So glad they are already working on season 2, but I'm already jonesing for more! :sweatdrop:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

The Insect Court posted:

One of the best parts of R&M's writing is the sort of metafiction-y self-aware stuff that gets put in. Like the Ricks drawing the red Xes on their foreheads, or the line about the space depot just happening to have lab coats and shirts. Reminds me a little bit of pre-decline The Simpsons.

It's just as likely it's a 'Morty was temporarily de-aged" joke.

I loved the moment when Morty frees Rick while being chided that this is "no time for arcs."

Loved it more when they called it back at the end: "So is it time for arcs now, Rick?"

MariusLecter posted:

Probably some kind of lizard.

Don't think about it.

CoolCab posted:

I thought the fakeout was going to go the other way and the retarded Rick would have been pulling the strings, there's a line where he's describing the evil spectrum Rick between them as being ''totally weird''. That fit doofus Rick to a tee.

I half expected this too, but love the twist they actually went with.

Maybe Rick put his brain in Evil Morty's body? Although, I'd prefer to think Evil Morty is from a dimension where Morty is the genius and Rick is the disguise. I don't think they were both geniuses, though. When Robo-Rick gets mobbed by Mortys, he seems rather nonplussed by his impending death from enraged Mortys. This says to me he had no free will of his own. Evil Morty certainly has a good camouflage in a herd of Mortys, though.

The moment when Robo-Rick called C137 out on crying adds another layer. Rick clearly cares about his family, but showing it is decidedly "unRick" which forces him to come off as callous. But it almost seems like an act for the other Ricks than something he genuinely feels. Over and over we see him stand up for his family and try to make their lives better or make them better people (in his view).

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

SymfonyMan posted:

...it would still make sence if he took over t some point after evil Rick had imprisoned them. Your point isn't exclusive of how I read it.

You all are forgetting that Evil Morty (through Robo-Rick) seemed to admire his "Symphony of Mortys" a little too much. A Rick would have seen the Morty-Matrix as a means to an end, Evil Morty seems to enjoy it for itself. He has probably been twisted by his experiences and sees other Mortys as lessers, much like Rick-C137 looks down on other Ricks.

Also, the blasé nature of the various Citadel Ricks seems to suggest that most Mortys know they are expendable (and replaceable).

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

QwertySanchez posted:

Man that was a great episode, I guess that explains why Rick doesn't like things like councils, but there's a council of Ricks. The other Ricks are lame. Not sure if I like that idea as an answer, and it was weird seeing Rick kill other Ricks during the escape. Knowing they're alternate versions of the main characters made it kinda strange.

I thought the desings for the leaders of the Council of Ricks were a reference to The Three Most Important People in the World from Bill and Ted's Excellent adventure, but sadly not.

Also apprently eating poop stops you going bald. Doofus Rick has a full head of hair!

Even though he has several opportunities (the initial dash from the council, where he steals the guards gun for instance), he never directly kills another Rick. He opens portals which may (or may not) contain dangers, but doesn't actively attack. I got the impression that he wouldn't kill another Rick, but would happily provide them the means to kill themselves unless they gave up pursuit. He probably feels like they would have survived if they had been more Rick-like and not joined the stupid club.

Also, I totally missed this easter egg: when he shoots the portal to the butt-world during the escape, while he and Morty are falling, it looks like he pops it on top of the blue portal from Portal. Fast reference, but it looked intentional!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Robo-Rick, Rick-C137, and Weirdo-Rick all have a fair bit of evil and good on either side. It seems more suggestive that these are more "neutral" Ricks.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Affi posted:

Morty is born, Rick greets his Morty but he can't stay because the intergalactic government is after all Ricks. And Morty
Isn't dumb enough to disguise him yet. Spends a long time running around until Morty is old enough to be camouflage. The end.

Rick is a time traveler and can go visit his infant-Morty whenever he wants.

I would like to think that our Rick is the most person-like non-dufus Rick. While he constantly acts like he has zero shits to give, we are continually given evidence that he does care about his family (albeit reluctantly).

Rick's family views him as almost a deity: he wields essentially godlike powers with a certain amount of aloofness. And much like the deities of parables, when Rick answers your prayers, you get more than you bargain for (and maybe a lesson about life, though he would never admit it). He kills the Jellybean King, makes a love potion for Morty, gives Meeseeks and alternate reality goggles to the family, helps train the dog, rescues Summer from Gazorpazorp, and all of the other unlisted shenanigans.

In a real sense, Rick has wildly improved his family's lives since returning. Morty and Summer are becoming more well-rounded and pragmatic individuals, Beth and Jerry's marriage seems to strengthen each episode, and even Jerry's neuroses seem to be getting under some kind of control, despite his role as comic relief.

Fake Edit: after rewatching, boy did Beth get her wish when she said she wanted to see "more of [Rick]."

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

flashy_mcflash posted:

Yeah that's what I meant. Maybe it's just that I'm playing ME3 at the moment but I thought they looked kind of similar.

I think they just look similar in that both have a lot of white space. I did not get a presidium vibe at all from the Citadel 'a Ricks.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Unmature posted:

You're the guy who s-- who says, like. Like when someone asks you if...

Look, gently caress you.

gently caress you? No no no no no. gently caress ME!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Terror Sweat posted:

When Rick's not around Jerry is a badass with a shotgun, or hes a famous hollywood actor. Rick constantly ruining Jerry's self-esteem is probably bad for him.

I'm sure his wife does that, too. Let's be honest, Beth and the kids take after grandpa. :v:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I just noticed that the hammer-people (and I assume hammer-Morty) come from the giant's staircase in the Meeseeks episode!

Puppet-Rick is a better moniker for "Robo-Rick", I just enjoy alliteration. But the fact that he was having his strings pulled by Evil Morty is made very clear.

Have we now seen everything in the intro except for pregnant Jerry and flying Cthulhu?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

MariusLecter posted:

A court ordered him to stop eating poo poo.

I hope we get to find out, one day, if he ever got back to his bowl of poo poo.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Space T Rex posted:

Haha oh my god what if Evil Morty just constantly has his rear end jammed full of megaseeds?!

What if that's what Rick did.... :psyduck:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Affi posted:

Huh, some cool guy fixed my avatar. Thank you cool guy!

I now chuckle every time you post, regardless of content.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
What a great season! Can't wait for the extras on the bluray! Wubba lubba dub dub: I don't give a gently caress!

Some good gags and callbacks in this episode: Doopeydoop getting eaten and the bukkake bit stand out as one-liners.

I almost felt like this was the weakest episode, Morty being such a buzzkill was kind of a drag, especially after his big speech to Rick about "going with the flow" during the Meeseeks episode. Rick has had Morty's back so often (if not overtly), it feels a little disingenuous for Morty to say "what do I get out of it" for the umpteenth time. Maybe it was intentional, but Morty's mood made some of the visual gags and quick jokes I usually enjoy so much fall kind of flat.

If we are rating the episodes from best to...uhh...least best, I'd go:
Close Rick-counters
Meeseeks
Something Ricked
Rixty Mintues
Rick Potion #9
Anatomy Park
Lawnmower Dog
Pilot
Raising Gazorpazorp
M Knight Shaym-aliens
Ricksy Business

Wikipedia says 10 episodes for season two. Any rumors on an eta?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

XboxPants posted:

The weird shittily-drawn faces are one of my favorite background gags on this show. And often it's just a little crappy, like I think one of Jerry's bosses was all stupid looking like that, but sometimes it looks like loving garbage and that's great.

Every time I notice the feet, I have a chuckle.

Bird Person's dry monotone was definitely a highlight. He rode off with that girl at the end, so I suppose he still fits in with Rick's crowd... :rimshot:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

hcreight posted:

Intentional or not, the B-Plot was pretty amusingly timed. Today is the 102nd anniversary of the Titanic sinking.

I am an unironic Titanic buff, so I've been watching the picture in Jerry's den all season, waiting...

I feel like this episode would have fit better towards the beginning, but I understand the writers wanting to do something less serial and more lighthearted for a closer.

I missed that Birdperson's hookup was bukkake girl: guess she wanted to try it after all! I did notice one of the stair-people from the giant's staircarse at the party, and for having a history of non-cooperation, at least two-thirds of the invited humans at the party were Ricks (from the council, too!). Maybe he's trying to mend fences. It's all of these little touches that really make this show worth rewatching a couple times.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Gorilla Salad posted:

Hey, given that was actually have people who worked on the show in this thread, can one of you guys ask Justin Roiland and Dan Harmon what's so bad about puffy vaginas?

Because it's really been bugging me.

Don't think about it: 'cause I DON'T GIVE A FUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!

And hey, looks like that article is saying Rick and Morty pulled twice as many live viewers as Archer! Hey, even the 2am rerun did better! :toot:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Bust Rodd posted:

I thought the puffy vagina thing was like super obvious but I guess not everyone has ridden that particular roller coaster so there ya go.

RE Lincoln: I, too, wonder why the giant, skinny as a rail awkward looking man in all black clothes with a stovepipe hat and neckbeard is the eternal target of endless ire, but maybe it has something to do with him being possibly the most recognizable US president in history and also totally loving goofy looking.

Lincoln can be representative both of the "nobility" and the "everyman" in storytelling. He presided over an incredibly contentious part of history and was the first president assassinated. His humble upbringing and background only add to the mystique. The fact that he is instantly recognizable to anyone who has seen a history book helps, too.

That and he killed all of those zombies and vampires...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Someone pointed out the "Tiny Rogerts" thing from the open, but I didn't see anyone else pick up on it.

Given his knowledge of alternate realities and this off-hand quip (which is almost certainly a reference to "Tutti Frutti," by Little Richards), I think it is safe to say that story-Rick is not from our reality or Morty's own timeline (to say nothing of the dimension we are currently in after Rick Potion #9). The more I think about it, the more it fits in. Rick was pretty nonchalant about universe-hopping the "first" time. If doing this isn't exactly routine, it certainly has a procedure.

Also, being the Rickest Rick, he would see other Rick's as placeholders for his own decisions. The fact that some of them die or form a council is more proof that he is the :airquote: True Rick: able to function independently and beholden to no one's judgement (not even his own second guessing).

I love that Rick can be both the idea of the singularity and old-world religion wrapped up in one package. He has a kind of blind faith in himself and his actions, building things because he can without much thought to the after effects. Even when he fucks up, he is convinced that his choice was the correct one and couldn't have gone another way.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Buzkashi posted:

The first moment that this show made me cackle maniacally was the time Rick grew Ruben to continental proportions. The sheer absurdity of the situation plus that giant dumb face floating over New York, the Santa hat, jesus christ it's such a perfect moment.

This is the thing I think I laughed the hardest at, all season. The giant, naked hobo floating over the US. Then the blood rain for Christmas. The sheer absurdity and brilliance of it was an instant classic!

I'm surprised most people seem to think this was one of the worst episodes in the season. :iiam:

Fake Edit: the funniest thing about gazorpazorp-Jon is that he's a normal human (with head arms) and not one of the ape-people, like Morty's son.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I'm still getting :psyboom: from finding out this is a Back to the Future spoof and not a riff on Doctor Who. My friend showed me the sneak peak and the pilot halfway through the season and I about died laughing and was instantly hooked, but didn't get why he thought it was funny since he never watched Doctor Who. I'm too lazy to go over to the piano, but I am pretty sure R&M's theme is a parody (if not a note-for-note inversion) of the Who theme.

I've spent the whole time until the season finale thinking the show was a DW meta-joke. :downs:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Gromit posted:

I think the only thing I don't like about the show is Rick breaking the 4th wall every now and again. But it's not like it keeps me awake at night or anything.

I like how this is usually combined with the other characters laughing nervously or being otherwise visually uncomfortable, so it doesn't bother me. It also gave us "wubba lubba dub dub," which may be my favorite self-created catchphrase. I half expect the fourth wall-breaking to be addressed or directly referenced next season.

Speaking of: seconding giant crabs for S2.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

VideoTapir posted:

You wanna notice something about the end of that episode, notice how they were slaughtering Cronenbergs, but the Cronenbergs weren't actually trying to hurt them, they were just sorta standing around.

Most of them are walking across the street or taking out the trash. Jerry has to swerve to hit several. Glad someone else noticed this!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

johntfs posted:

As I recall it, Cr-R&M (Cronenberg Rick and Morty) came from a dimension/world where everyone was naturally Crononberged. Cr-Rick made some mistake that turned everyone except him and Cr-Morty into normal humans. So, Cr-R&M left there and came to the new reality where original R&M had turned almost everyone into Cronenbergs.

Yeah, in Cronenberg-R&M's timeline/dimension, everybody was already cronenbergs, then Rick Potion #9 turned them into "regular normal humans." I suppose in a perfect world, they would have just switched places with story-R&M, but that is just another layer of the joke to me.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

ZorajitZorajit posted:

The guy that got swallowed by the giant testicle monster? He's still alive, he even enjoys getting swapped between monsters, unlike Abradolf Lincler. Now, he did get left in that deminsion to that fate. Forever. ...You know what, I'm just gonna hope he never shows up again, because that's the makings of a super villain.

You know it, dawg!

They both got left behind, along with that bit of the neighbor's house. Hope they didn't have their bed against the external wall...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I wouldn't mind an episode of Ball Fondlers as a bluray extra, but I am really hoping they don't go all fan-service with season two.

I want them to make new moments, not rehash the same ones endlessly until they aren't clever any more. Ball Fondlers is fun because of the R&M axiom "don't think about it." If the inside jokes get too elaborate or serial, it will be more like Real Fake Doors: funny at first, but pointless in the end. And before someone gets their panties in a wad: yes, Real Fake Doors was a funny bit, but to a point. Stuff like that can't go on forever because people will change the channel, just like Rick did.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

a shameful boehner posted:

You mean a Rick?

I mean the Rick.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Twenty Four posted:

I don't know so much that I would like to see a bunch of rehashing of old jokes, but some of the callbacks and continuity are pretty funny to me as long as they are not overused. For instance, I might not want to have another meeseeks-centric episode, but I would get a kick out of seeing some interdimentional TV in the background every now and again, without anything really pointing to it.

Say, have the main focus is on a couple of the main characters doing something in the foreground while the TV just happens to be off to the side in the back playing some wierd version of Saturday Night Live or whatever just like it would likely be in a regular household, but wierder.

Exactly this. I wouldn't even mind seeing a Meeseeks in the background cleaning. If a Meeseeks never speaks on this show again, that'll be okay! As for the inter-dimensional tv, I think we are also on the same page.

I wouldn't mind seeing it every other episode or so for a quick visual/improv gag. But, I think they'd be hard-pressed to get an entire episode out of that and don't really see the comparison to the Anthology of Interest from Futurama. The AoI episodes were vignettes that stood on their own, while the b-plot of Rixty Mintutes is really what sold the episode for me and tied it all together. It will be hard to recreate that and not just make a new Rixty Minutes feel like it is crow-barred in for the sake of being self-referential and masturbatory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

VideoTapir posted:

What if it's a one-per-season Halloween Special/Anthology of Interest kind of thing?

Not that I have any say in the matter, but I don't think there is really room for something like that in a ten episode season without a really good subplot to tie it together. Maybe if they get a larger order, or in season three, but two of those in twenty-one episodes is over much. The writing has been so clever and on point I would be really disappointed if they have to regurgitate old material so quickly.

They've already established enough continuity and interesting characters that there are other things I would rather see: Evil Morty, the return of Lincler, Morty's son, Council of Ricks, Bird Person...hell, I already think that list is a little much if they dedicate an episode to each one.

I think the IDTV's best hope is as a recurring improv gag. Give it 30 seconds every other episode and move on.

Or, who knows, maybe they are clever and on point enough to pull it off twice.

• Locked thread