Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'm a man who can appreciate a good monkey punch, and those were some good monkey punches

bef posted:

Esam is definitely my favorite player

There's a michigan Bowser player that I'm in love with but Esam is great too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Holy poo poo these character switches, his Pikachu's not bad either.

And now it's a Donkey Kong mirror. :circlefap:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
This is the hypest match.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
That was some good poo poo. Goddamn I need to get a controller and get M up and running on Dolphin. Any goons that play regularly?

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Interesting that it's the same two dudes in Brawl grand finals. I guess Smash is Smash when you're skilled.

bef posted:

That was some good poo poo. Goddamn I need to get a controller and get M up and running on Dolphin. Any goons that play regularly?

Since Nintendo online is shutting down in 13 days I think we should try and get at least a few Wifi matches in. My friend code is: 0734-8045-6953

As for Dolphin, it's miles better than the official Netcode. There's actually a dedicated following for PM netplay, as well as Melee, Brawl, and even N64 Smash Bros. I've tried it but couldn't get a constant enough framerate.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Does this USB adapter work well? I'd play but gently caress using a non-GC controller (incidentally, Smash 4 is gonna gently caress me). Also, will netplay via dolphin be possible after the servers go down, or is that it, period?

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Countblanc posted:

Does this USB adapter work well? I'd play but gently caress using a non-GC controller (incidentally, Smash 4 is gonna gently caress me). Also, will netplay via dolphin be possible after the servers go down, or is that it, period?

4 1/2 stars out of 100+ reviews is pretty good so I'd say go for it. I had a much shoddier USB one and it worked fine so i'd say its safe (my controller eventually caved after 11 years). I think dolphin netplay works because someone hosts it I believe?

F. Lobot posted:

Interesting that it's the same two dudes in Brawl grand finals. I guess Smash is Smash when you're skilled.

Since Nintendo online is shutting down in 13 days I think we should try and get at least a few Wifi matches in. My friend code is: 0734-8045-6953

As for Dolphin, it's miles better than the official Netcode. There's actually a dedicated following for PM netplay, as well as Melee, Brawl, and even N64 Smash Bros. I've tried it but couldn't get a constant enough framerate.

Yeah my bro sold his Wii i believe so all I got is a Wii U to smash on with nunchucks :stonk: I don't think they do friend codes anymore

bef fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 7, 2014

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Countblanc posted:

Netplay will be the only option after Nintendo-Gamespy network shuts down. And yeah, that's probably the best usb adapter on the market I think.

For Smash 4 I'm absolutely investing in a Gamecube to Wiimote adapter, but I'm still hoping Nintendo gives us a better solution.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

F. Lobot posted:

For Smash 4 I'm absolutely investing in a Gamecube to Wiimote adapter, but I'm still hoping Nintendo gives us a better solution.

I have one of those adapters, and it works well enough, but definitely feels kinda janky and batteries suck. I'll probably just suck it up and use the pro controllers.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Countblanc posted:

I have one of those adapters, and it works well enough, but definitely feels kinda janky and batteries suck. I'll probably just suck it up and use the pro controllers.

Is it unresponsive or some sort of lag delay cuz if so that's pretty disappointing. Also I noticed you talked about Michigan tourneys and such: are you from around there? I'm actually moving up to Detroit in a couple weeks

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I use the Mayflash adapters, they don't add any delay to the inputs. They're perfect, feel cheap though but what does it matter.

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.
You lose the ability to adjust the size of your shield, though. It makes the triggers digital.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

J2DK posted:

You lose the ability to adjust the size of your shield, though. It makes the triggers digital.

According to Dolphin, the L and R buttons in the Classic Controller are analogue, but I don't think any games actually used them. You also lose the controller rumble with the adapter since the Classic Controller didn't have it.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

That loving Sned posted:

According to Dolphin, the L and R buttons in the Classic Controller are analogue, but I don't think any games actually used them. You also lose the controller rumble with the adapter since the Classic Controller didn't have it.

The original classic controller has analogue triggers, but the pro version switched to digital.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

bef posted:

Is it unresponsive or some sort of lag delay cuz if so that's pretty disappointing. Also I noticed you talked about Michigan tourneys and such: are you from around there? I'm actually moving up to Detroit in a couple weeks

Yeah I live in the metro Detroit area, Rochester specifically. I have a bunch of friends in the area who play too, so shoot me a PM (ha ha ha ha) when you move and we'll set up some games.

As for the adapter, there's two bits of general weirdness with it:

1) You can't mash A to get through menus in P:M with it, including the post-round score display. I have no clue how this will work for Smash 4 or if it'll even happen at all, and it isn't TOO huge of a deal but it feels awkward to me that you have to use start (I think? It might be a different button)
2) There's at least 2-3 instances per day of blatantly dropped inputs, and maybe a few more less obvious ones (or my friends blaming dropped inputs for execution mistakes!). This one is obviously much more of a dealbreaker, but I don't know if it's because P:M has such a high APM and the adapter freaks when you hit too many things at once, which Smash 4 almost definitely won't have due to the simplified mechanics.

I'll let you try mine out if you want, and Smash 4 won't be out on WiiU for 6+ months anyway

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Yeah I've noticed on the occasion that I use the Wiimote or classic controller, that the wireless connection just isn't stable. For example holding B for Samus' charge shot or Ivysaur's synthesis will almost always release prematurely.

The WiiU drastically needs USB controller support (the pro controller can charge via USB, but still transmits wirelessly) because you can't have too many wireless controllers in one room without interference. If nothing changes, the E3 invitational will be the last Smash 4 tournament.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

F. Lobot posted:

The WiiU drastically needs USB controller support (the pro controller can charge via USB, but still transmits wirelessly) because you can't have too many wireless controllers in one room without interference.

Someone on Reddit did the math for this. It's not going to be an issue.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

It would be cool if they let you use the 3DS as an additional controller, since Brawl was all about supporting as many controller types as possible. Although I think I'll get the adapter so I can use the Gamecube controller again.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Well I got Dolphin and P:M set up, but it seems to stutter sometimes, particularly at the start of matches and at the character/stage select screen; The sound gets hella choppy and then the video seems to lag a bit. I certainly don't have the Best Computer Ever, but everything is within two years old so I'm a bit shocked that a loving Wii game is giving me problems. I followed the performance advice in this thread, are there any other suggestions? Something with NVIDIA I should be aware of? I'll readily admit that I know basically nothing about computers outside of playing things on them.

E: it seems to work a lot better on version 3.5 of dolphin

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 07:08 on May 9, 2014

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Countblanc posted:

Yeah I live in the metro Detroit area, Rochester specifically. I have a bunch of friends in the area who play too, so shoot me a PM (ha ha ha ha) when you move and we'll set up some games.

As for the adapter, there's two bits of general weirdness with it:

1) You can't mash A to get through menus in P:M with it, including the post-round score display. I have no clue how this will work for Smash 4 or if it'll even happen at all, and it isn't TOO huge of a deal but it feels awkward to me that you have to use start (I think? It might be a different button)
2) There's at least 2-3 instances per day of blatantly dropped inputs, and maybe a few more less obvious ones (or my friends blaming dropped inputs for execution mistakes!). This one is obviously much more of a dealbreaker, but I don't know if it's because P:M has such a high APM and the adapter freaks when you hit too many things at once, which Smash 4 almost definitely won't have due to the simplified mechanics.

I'll let you try mine out if you want, and Smash 4 won't be out on WiiU for 6+ months anyway

Woah, awesome. I'm going to be living in Romulus so not too far off. Really looking forward to some weekend brawls :) Granted I haven't played PM in about a year and I only had one person I played with competitively so I'm probably pretty terrible but whatevs.

I'll try to get PM setup sometime soon on my comp and see how it runs. Brawl was smooth as butter for my setup (i5, HD 7850, 8gb ram), looked real pretty too. If we ever netplay on the comp our lag should be pretty much nil so that would be real nice

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Countblanc posted:

Well I got Dolphin and P:M set up, but it seems to stutter sometimes, particularly at the start of matches and at the character/stage select screen; The sound gets hella choppy and then the video seems to lag a bit. I certainly don't have the Best Computer Ever, but everything is within two years old so I'm a bit shocked that a loving Wii game is giving me problems. I followed the performance advice in this thread, are there any other suggestions? Something with NVIDIA I should be aware of? I'll readily admit that I know basically nothing about computers outside of playing things on them.

Emulation is extremely taxing, it doesn't matter that it's "just a Wii game". I built a new PC just a couple months ago and I still get the occasional dip playing Project M at 1080p, even though I can run stuff like Sleeping Dogs and Assassin's Creed IV at 1080p 60fps and almost all the settings maxed out. If you're trying to get it to maintain 60fps and you already optimized all the other settings you'll just have to drop the internal rendering resolution.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Yeah, I just run it in a window rather than my monitor size. Still have problems with audio stuttering, so I tend to have music disabled.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, emulation takes considerably more power than that of the system being emulated, which is why it's usually a generation or more behind. If it was just a case of running the software on a PC instead of a console, you'd get stuff like PS4 and Xbox One emulators appearing shortly after their release.

Emulators work by creating a duplicate of the system they're emulating and then running the software on it, so a lot of memory and CPU load is constantly going towards your PC virtually recreating the Wii's hardware in its entirety, and then you're running Smash Brothers on top of that.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Yeah, you should also take note that the most accurate SNES emulator takes a beast of a PC to run well. Emulation is no joke.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Well, lesson learned. But yeah, Dolphin 3.5 seems to work pretty decently, I haven't tried the netplay though. If someone wants to play this weekend I'm down to try it out.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Not that I had any authority in the first place, but I hereby strike the 'no Dolphin' rule from the OP. Enjoy your grey area warez.

Here's a more recent guide that I haven't actually looked at yet: http://smashboards.com/threads/project-m-dolphin-online-via-netplay-full-setup-optimization-guide.346700/

Countblanc posted:

Countblanc I had the same experience as you but I haven't tried 3.5. Unfortunately only 4.0 and above works for Brawl/Project M netplay, but you can at least do Melee on 3.5.

Perhaps we can try it out on 4.0 and see how it manages. It can't be worse than Wifi... which is going down soon btw. We should get in a few last (first) goon matches to send off the Wii.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I might just have to upgrade my CPU, it's probably the thing holding everything back at this point, I just hate installing them. Oh well, I'll stop derailing the thread with my tech support woes. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have some good streams to post since two michigan tourneys are happening, so there's that!

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Countblanc posted:

I might just have to upgrade my CPU, it's probably the thing holding everything back at this point, I just hate installing them. Oh well, I'll stop derailing the thread with my tech support woes. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have some good streams to post since two michigan tourneys are happening, so there's that!

Another thing is that Dolphin is far more effecient with Nvidia graphics cards than AMD. Combine that with my processor just .5Ghz shy of the recommended 3.0Ghz, my Dolphin future looks bleak. I need to buy a laptop soon anyway, but I don't know if it's worth investing in one good enough to play games.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Tournies!

Project: Jank - http://www.twitch.tv/joe_janky
Michigan Summer Smash: http://www.twitch.tv/ori_bro

Unfortunately my roommate-slash-landlord decided that today is torrent day, so I basically can't watch anything right now, but I have a friend who went undefeated in his pools at Project Jank, so root him on for me! He's playing under Deeds, I think, mains Kirby and DDD.

e: Apparently he's playing under NoTap/NTAP, and still winning. drat these are some bad players, sad I didn't go, haha

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 10, 2014

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
Okay, just got this working on my friend's Wii. I can already tell it will take a while to learn how to handle the differences in controls and such. For instance, can I not air dodge after getting hit anymore? And has the command or sensitivity to pick up items changed? Even when standing on items I am having a problem picking them up with the Classic Controller like 80% of the time. Also air dodging randomly seems to have a 1 second lag, usually in a combo. Isn't one of the design goals for this mod to be LESS input lag?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
http://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp

Tourney stream.

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

Based Game and Watch. What a hammer.

Edit:Another one?!?!?!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
That MK was my jam.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

I'm switching my main to either Metaknight or Mewtwo based on the outcome of this set.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
That 4 stock, drat.

I need to get my Pit on that level.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Bumping this thread like Bowser fsmashing a shielding Squirtle.

I'm looking to see some match vids to step up my game, does anyone have any recommendations for Metaknight, Donkey Kong, and Wario videos/players?

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Me and a buddy play Meta Knight (and Sonic) and Donkey Kong here.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
That's some really oppressive Sonic pressure, good work. Do you know what percents uair combos into Dimensional Cape for MK? I saw you do uair > bair but I know I've seen Cape combo off that.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

I don't really like comboing uair into DC, it's not safe at all. But a more direct answer is roughly between 50% and maybe 80%; any less and uair doesn't hit high enough, and more and uair hits too hard/you should probably Shuttle Loop instead. But even between those percents, it's entirely dependent on the opponent's DI and which direction MK is facing: if the opponent doesn't DI and goes straight up, then the DC can't reach (unless you try and hold it a little longer, but then the hitstun won't last long enough and your opponent can hit you out of it, or airdodge, or whatever), and if he DI's behind MK, then the reverse hit out of IDC won't reach.
:goonsay::spergin:

You see people like Squeak and K9 or whoever try for IDC out of uair, but it's maybe the most unsafe option MK has. Killing at sub-100% is tempting and juicy but if you miss then you might just get a taste of your own medicine.

Maple Leaf fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jun 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Alright cool, makes sense. I've mostly been going for Loop right now and yeah those DC combos are sexy and I wanted some of that, but it sounds like I'm better of sticking to my current stuff. When you get a grab do you just go for down throw all the time (barring weirdness like 170%+ situations by the side where you can get a back throw kill)? It seems like such an easy thing to predict and DI but it's so good and causes enough hitstun where I can generally react to DI attempts and no other throw seems that useful.

• Locked thread